2016 5* DT Derrick Brown (AU Signee 2/3/16)

RunInRed

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And guess what? We would pretty much be a lock to get him if we hired Tracy Rocker. He has the best relationships with his potential position coaches, so adding Rocker to this staff would lock this kid up.

So why aren't we adding back a crucial staff member from the 2010 National Championship team? Are we waiting on the new DC to put his own staff together? Or does Rocker not want to work with Garner? Or does Rocker not want to come back to AU? This just blows my mind...

Imagine Rocker coming back and turning Montravious Adams into Nick Fairley 2.0. Imagine Derrick Brown being next in line behind him?

Move Garner to TE coach and bring back Rocker!!

Good job dismissing EVERYTHING Garner has done up to this point. I mean how many recruits has Garner gotten for us this year? Way to be ungrateful for a top 10 recruiting class, nice.

I'm good with that. If he sticks to his plan, there won't be any drama in his recruitment. Keep it close to the vest and commit when you're ready, not before; then no one has to worry about you backing out. Mature approach. If he's 100% ready before signing day, commit. If not, don't.

Basically Brown said he has a few schools he is thinking about all are even. Don't believe any rumors until you hear it from his Mom, His Dad, or himself. We are one of the schools that is even so we are still in it. Hope we pull him at this time we have an equal chance as all the other schools recruiting him. I like this kid because he is not playing games and when he decides we will find out probably on signing day.

And guess what? We would pretty much be a lock to get him if we hired Tracy Rocker. He has the best relationships with his potential position coaches, so adding Rocker to this staff would lock this kid up.

So why aren't we adding back a crucial staff member from the 2010 National Championship team? Are we waiting on the new DC to put his own staff together? Or does Rocker not want to work with Garner? Or does Rocker not want to come back to AU? This just blows my mind...

Imagine Rocker coming back and turning Montravious Adams into Nick Fairley 2.0. Imagine Derrick Brown being next in line behind him?

Good job dismissing EVERYTHING Garner has done up to this point. I mean how many recruits has Garner gotten for us this year? Way to be ungrateful for a top 10 recruiting class, nice.

I'm not being ungrateful. I want Garner to stay on the staff as a tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator. I'm questioning what Garner has done for us on the field. I'm questioning why Gabe Wright and Angelo Blackson took steps backwards last year. I'm questioning why we haven't developed a pass rush outside of Carl Lawson in 2 years. Rocker is clearly the better DL coach. Why not get them both on the staff?

FTR - In respect to recruiting, Garner may be able to pull in Brown on his own, but I believe that Rocker would greatly increase our chances. That was my original point.

I'm not being ungrateful. I want Garner to stay on the staff as a tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator. I'm questioning what Garner has done for us on the field. I'm questioning why Gabe Wright and Angelo Blackson took steps backwards last year. I'm questioning why we haven't developed a pass rush outside of Carl Lawson in 2 years. Rocker is clearly the better DL coach. Why not get them both on the staff?

FTR - In respect to recruiting, Garner may be able to pull in Brown on his own, but I believe that Rocker would greatly increase our chances. That was my original point.

What has Rocker done for anyone on the field? Serious question. He developed Nick and.....who?

What has Rocker done for anyone on the field? Serious question. He developed Nick and.....who?

That entire d line that nobody could run on the entire season....

Happy for the recruits that gave us the verbal this week. Happy for all of the coaches that helped in this process! Sure hope they stick!

AU Defense against the run this season : #91 in the country. Only SEC teams worse: A&M, Kentucky and USCe.

http://www.ncaa.com/...rent/team/24/p2

Vandy finished #37 by the way. Wonder who gets better defensive line talent, us or Vandy? Yes, it's player development and coaching.

Can't believe I had to go to page 3 to bump this big guy.

FWIW AU is in good shape right now w/ Derrick.

^^This^^ hearing good stuff as well.

That's excellent about Brown! Also good news that you can still hear at your age, golf.

That entire d line that nobody could run on the entire season....

And since then?

AU24, you're mistaking hype with talent. We land more hyped players. Talent is shown through production. Proof is in the pudding as they say.

One of our issues has been misfit personnel. We haven't had a true 0-technique tackle to eat space and stop the run in a long time. Adams can play but he's a penetrator. He's not an anchor. He gets put on skates against interior double teams. Russell has the making of a nose guard, but only time will tell. Gotta have that anchor, and it's not easy to coach. That's why a natural nose guard, Daron Payne, could walk into Alabama's loaded defensive line a make a few starts as a true freshman.

Garner's doing a pretty good job of developing players. Lawson is better. Lawrence has made enormous strides. Ford had his best season, by miles, under Garner.

No need to bash Rock either. He developed Nick, Greg Hardy (horrible person wonderful player), Peria Jerry, Jamaal Anderson, etc. He and Rodney are two of the best in the business.

AU24, you're mistaking hype with talent. We land more hyped players. Talent is shown through production. Proof is in the pudding as they say.

One of our issues has been misfit personnel. We haven't had a true 0-technique tackle to eat space and stop the run in a long time. Adams can play but he's a penetrator. He's not an anchor. He gets put on skates against interior double teams. Russell has the making of a nose guard, but only time will tell. Gotta have that anchor, and it's not easy to coach. That's why a natural nose guard, Daron Payne, could walk into Alabama's loaded defensive line a make a few starts as a true freshman.

Garner's doing a pretty good job of developing players. Lawson is better. Lawrence has made enormous strides. Ford had his best season, by miles, under Garner.

No need to bash Rock either. He developed Nick, Greg Hardy (horrible person wonderful player), Peria Jerry, Jamaal Anderson, etc. He and Rodney are two of the best in the business.

I agree with "Proof is in the pudding as they say"

I was mainly referring to "Coles" comment on how; "no one could run against Garner's D Line last season" #91 in the country at stopping the run with Lawson for half the season, Adams for all of it. No way Vandy and the rest of the SEC that is in front of us "pudding proof wise" is getting the D-line talent we are. Some of it, if not the majority has to be from lack of development and coaching.

Yeah. I just disagree with the last part. They have better players or we would be doing better. It's not a lack of teaching that prevents Adams from anchoring down. Its a skill that he just doesn't have. It was impossible to detect against crap competition, and he's really developed as a penetrating DT. So we've improved what he's good at and work around what he isn't.

Yeah. I just disagree with the last part. They have better players or we would be doing better. It's not a lack of teaching that prevents Adams from anchoring down. Its a skill that he just doesn't have. It was impossible to detect against crap competition, and he's really developed as a penetrating DT. So we've improved what he's good at and work around what he isn't.

Thanks, nice chatting with you. The future looks bright!

Given Garner's work lately it is unlikely he will be moved to TE at this point. To be frank, it would basically be a slap to his face at this point.

As things stand now TRock looks to be heading to South Carolina.

1. It was not even a report. It was the feeling of sources close to UGA. 2.It was not even from AU as the first couple of sentences states. 3. SECCountry is complete crap. Their work is horrible & they rarely get things right. I didn't think it was possible but they are worse than Al.scum.

I agree with "Proof is in the pudding as they say"

I was mainly referring to "Coles" comment on how; "no one could run against Garner's D Line last season" #91 in the country at stopping the run with Lawson for half the season, Adams for all of it. No way Vandy and the rest of the SEC that is in front of us "pudding proof wise" is getting the D-line talent we are. Some of it, if not the majority has to be from lack of development and coaching.

Well being I was talking about rocker and not garner I don't know why you're listing those particular stats or what point you're trying to make....

Just curious because I saw in another thread where almost everyone had this guy committing to us, but why such optimism this guy will commit to us? 247 has him 100% going to UGA.

Just curious because I saw in another thread where almost everyone had this guy committing to us, but why such optimism this guy will commit to us? 247 has him 100% going to UGA.

No one who posted there, including me, claims to be an expert. We were just offering our best guesses as to how we fill out the class. If you look at the remaining prospects we have on our board, as well as our needs and where we seem to rank with those prospects, then Brown definitely makes that list of top 6-7 most likely to join our class.

We're right in it for Brown. He's got a long relationship with CRG. With the coaching change at UGA, it's not clear whether Rocker, with whom Brown has a good relationship, will be retained. If Rocker is not retained by UGA, that really ups our chances, which are already pretty good.

1. It was not even a report. It was the feeling of sources close to UGA. 2.It was not even from AU as the first couple of sentences states. 3. SECCountry is complete crap. Their work is horrible & they rarely get things right. I didn't think it was possible but they are worse than Al.scum.

When Derrick Brown has his own quotes in the article I will post it.

Archived