2016 5* LB Ben Davis (Bama signee)

RunInRed

Ok I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. We do have some young LBs though who I am interested to see play. If we miss this year, we need to follow up with a good class next year.

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems like every year we are looking to next year to fix our LB issues. I would love to see LB issue resolved this year. Don't see it happening but maybe a new DC can help here.

next year is loaded with linebacker. So, it's ok if we miss on some this year! Right?

We have been saying that for years. Next year was last year. .. and this year.

next year is loaded with linebacker. So, it's ok if we miss on some this year! Right?

We have been saying that for years. Next year was last year. .. and this year.

Well if no one transfers from Auburn this season and depending upon the DC's system next year, Auburn might be loaded at LB with 9 scholarship LB on roster. Excluding undecided recruits and possible late signing day flips, and with out including the Buck position. Because the next DC might use the Buck guys as a DE next year or OLB. We want know until Gus makes that hire and the new DC get out and start recruiting.

Well if no one transfers from Auburn this season and depending upon the DC's system next year, Auburn might be loaded at LB with 9 scholarship LB on roster.

3 deep is not loaded. 3 deep with legitimate SEC talent is loaded. We might be the former next year, but we won't be the latter.

Sorry for stealing your moves, Mikey, but I've come around to your way of thinking.

Well if no one transfers from Auburn this season and depending upon the DC's system next year, Auburn might be loaded at LB with 9 scholarship LB on roster.

3 deep is not loaded. 3 deep with legitimate SEC talent is loaded. We might be the former next year, but we won't be the latter.

Sorry for stealing your moves, Mikey, but I've come around to your way of thinking.

Yeah in a 4-2-5 defense that's pretty loaded and you did not qoute the part with the exception of incoming recruits via 2016 and the buck position. So if you add two to three LBs and 4 guys competing for the Buck position, then I would be more concern with the DT position because you can never have enough beef up front.

How do we know for sure our defense will be a 4-2-5

We don't, that was just an example it all depends on the DC; he has to evaluate the current players before he can determine who to recruit. It didnt seem like LB was a huge need for mushamp and maybe that is becasue the redshirted and older LBs look promising.

I still have high hopes for a couple of the young linebackers we have already.

Holland

McBryde

and the two Williams.....

Mushump also raved about D. Davis. He seems to be the forgotten defensive guy out of the class of 2014

How do we know for sure our defense will be a 4-2-5

We don't, that was just an example it all depends on the DC; he has to evaluate the current players before he can determine who to recruit. It didnt seem like LB was a huge need for mushamp and maybe that is becasue the redshirted and older LBs look promising.

What we have going into the 2016 season is Tre Williams and a whole lot of wishful thinking. I think LB was important to Coach Hothead, he simply failed to get the vast majority of guys he was after for the 2016 class. Until some 4 or 5 guys step up and actually do something in games, we're hurtin' at the position. It's been that way since Josh Bynes graduated after the 2010 season.

This time last year the song and dance was "Just wait until D. Davis and Cam Toney hit the field next fall. Then you'll see something". Still waiting...

I still have high hopes for a couple of the young linebackers we have already.

Holland

McBryde

and the two Williams.....

Mushump also raved about D. Davis. He seems to be the forgotten defensive guy out of the class of 2014

Not forgotten, just time for him to step up and produce.

Frost praised Davis' ability, believing the Alabama native has the "potential to do some great things" in his Auburn career.

Read more here: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/college/sec/auburn-university/war-eagle-extra/article29452981.html#storylink=cpy

Deshaun Davis spent his first season at Auburn trying to soak in as much information as possible.

The former Vigor star, coming off of a partially torn ACL that cost him his senior season in high school, had an even more difficult transition than most freshmen..

Now, Davis is trying to find his footing in Will Muschamp's defense.

"He's been solid," Muschamp said on Thursday. "We've got to continue to progress. He had a little bit of a pulled groin, which hurt him about two or three practices."

Davis faces a tough road to playing time. No position on Auburn's roster features more experience than inside linebacker, where the Tigers return a pair of productive starters in Cassanova McKinzy and Kris Frost, plus two capable and talented players in Justin Garrett and Tre' Williams.

In that crowded group, though, Davis has managed to catch the attention of his older teammates.

"He's always running to the ball," Frost said. "He has a whole lot of ability. He's always the guy to fly around and try to be an extra leader on the field, which I really like about him."

"He has a lot of tenacity," Frost said. "I think he has a whole lot of potential to do some great things."

Read more here: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/college/sec/auburn-university/war-eagle-extra/article29452981.html#storylink=cpy

Yeah I'm not the only one who thinks D. Davis is going to compete next year.

The other Williams impressed muschamp more than anybody as far as the young guys. He really almost decided not to redshirt him. I expect him to be good

The other Williams impressed muschamp more than anybody as far as the young guys. He really almost decided not to redshirt him. I expect him to be good

Yeah I heard that to about D. Williams. And D. Will and D. Davis were the two MLBs in the game late Idaho game; so that shows Mushump had been pleased with their progress in practice.

D. Williams didn't redshirt. He played in the final minutes of the Idaho game.

What a waste of a year in eligibility.

Seriously? They wasted his year for that

Yeah but he also played special teams all year. #49 but here is the proof.

AUBURN – Will Muschamp, Auburn’s defensive coordinator, didn’t like giving up 14 points in the fourth quarter of Auburn’s 59-34 victory over Idaho last Saturday, but he said it was worth it to get numerous reserves playing time.

“Oh, it’s huge to get those guys snaps,” Muschamp said. “Unfortunately, we haven’t been able to do that – (linebacker) Darrell Williams and those guys up front, some secondary guys. That last quarter, to be able to get those guys in those situations and play and get meaningful snaps in front of our crowd is very important. It’s critical.”

Frost praised Davis' ability, believing the Alabama native has the "potential to do some great things" in his Auburn career.

Read more here: http://www.ledger-en...l#storylink=cpy

Deshaun Davis spent his first season at Auburn trying to soak in as much information as possible.

The former Vigor star, coming off of a partially torn ACL that cost him his senior season in high school, had an even more difficult transition than most freshmen..

"He's been solid," Muschamp said on Thursday. "We've got to continue to progress. He had a little bit of a pulled groin, which hurt him about two or three practices."

Davis faces a tough road to playing time. No position on Auburn's roster features more experience than inside linebacker, where the Tigers return a pair of productive starters in Cassanova McKinzy and Kris Frost, plus two capable and talented players in Justin Garrett and Tre' Williams.

In that crowded group, though, Davis has managed to catch the attention of his older teammates.

"He's always running to the ball," Frost said. "He has a whole lot of ability. He's always the guy to fly around and try to be an extra leader on the field, which I really like about him."

"He has a lot of tenacity," Frost said. "I think he has a whole lot of potential to do some great things."

Do you realize the article you quoted was from last May? All those BIG DOINGS by Davis were supposed to happen this year. Frost was mostly replaced by Tre Williams, Garrett took over at the other spot, Cass was moved to DE and still no D. Davis on the field. True freshmen Darryl Williams and Jeff Holland played more.

Which is pretty much my point. For years now we've heard lots of big talk and big predictions, followed by unsatisfactory LB play. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, we've got Tre Williams and a whole bunch of MAYBE coming back at LB. All the swings and misses this recruiting year aren't helping a bit either.

Seriously? They wasted his year for that

Not just for the Idaho game. Both D. Williams and Atkinson played a lot of special teams this year. If they helped there, I don't think it was a waste.

Do you realize the article you quoted was from last May? All those BIG DOINGS by Davis were supposed to happen this year. Frost was mostly replaced by Tre Williams, Garrett took over at the other spot, Cass was moved to DE and still no D. Davis on the field. True freshmen Darryl Williams and Jeff Holland played more.

Which is pretty much my point. For years now we've heard lots of big talk and big predictions, followed by unsatisfactory LB play. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, we've got Tre Williams and a whole bunch of MAYBE coming back at LB. All the swings and misses this recruiting year aren't helping a bit either.

When you are making nearly 2 million a year you have to fill us full of bull.

Swings and misses. Very accurate.

Yeah because unlike does guys D.Davis did not play his senior year of high school and of course it was 2015 spring. Mushamp was the DC and actually D.Davis had more tackles than D. Will and he played in every game on special teams. But he is only a R.Freshman who is just getting his legs back. Next year i expect for him to compete for the starting job at mike. And you cannot compare him to J. Holland because they play two totally different positions. And Tre WIll, K. Frost, J. Mich and J. Garret all had more game time experience, and that does not mean D. Davis is a buss just means injuries slowed his progression down. So this year is the year he is expected to compete as a starter.

Archived