Is Auburn A Conservative School?

Proud Tiger

I don't have the link but I read recently on al.com an article asking which was the most conservative school in the state. Answer.....Auburn is the only state school in the top ten in the country. TAMU is #1. Others besides Auburn include Baylor, Clemson. and the three service academies. Obvious it didn't rub off on some here. :dunno:

I figure it's pretty much what a school is supposed to be, a place where different views can be expressed and discussed pretty much at will It's not an indoctrination center like a lot of universities are now.

I don't have the link but I read recently on al.com an article asking which was the most conservative school in the state. Answer.....Auburn is the only state school in the top ten in the country. TAMU is #1. Others besides Auburn include Baylor, Clemson. and the three service academies. Obvious it didn't rub off on some here. :dunno:/>

Thank goodness we don't ALL share the same brain.

It was pretty liberal last night......when it came to shots, whiskey drinks, short skirts, and revealing cleavage. Cops were even harassing white kids down town... yes Cole they truly were. It was freaking armageddon at Toomers. The rapture and the Borg collective both striking at once. Auburn is doomed.

It was pretty liberal last night......when it came to shots, whiskey drinks, short skirts, and revealing cleavage. Cops were even harassing white kids down town... yes Cole they truly were. It was freaking armageddon at Toomers. The rapture and the Borg collective both striking at once. Auburn is doomed.

What went on down town?

:gofig:

Usual Thurs night stuff.

If you mean with the cops? They were hanging right outside of bar exits and messing with people as they came out. Like right as they walked out and of course if the kid reacted in anyway they got dragged off to the side and hotboxed by two of them. One kid had a cup of something, was told he couldn't bring it out so the kid slammed it all, then threw the cup in a trash can and cop went into dick mode over it. It was ridiculous. Understanding is that things like that happened quite a few times last night.

I think it is an inherently bad idea for an educational institution to be defined as either liberal or conservative.

Since conservatism means individual freedom and adherence to the constitution, I welcome the news.

An honest answer to the question would be: "When compared to other, similar sized schools Auburn is quite conservative". That's why I chose Auburn over several other opportunities when it became time for me to select a college to attend.

That was true in the Vietnam era and still holds true today. As a returning veteran the last people I wanted to be associated with were a bunch of draft card burners. That sort was often seen elsewhere, seldom if ever seen at Auburn.

Cops were even harassing white kids down town

Jesus it must've been bad

I'm sure Kayne would of been upset that they were paying more attention to the whites than the blacks at Toomers. Like I said.. total armageddon.

You can describe Auburn's culture when I went there in terms of two movies: "Animal House" or "The Doors".

It's funny, I spent my first two years in the Animal House culture and the last two in The Doors. ;D

Interesting. Not much has changed.

I think it is an inherently bad idea for an educational institution to be defined as either liberal or conservative.

Since conservatism means individual freedom and adherence to the constitution, I welcome the news.

Amen and Amen.

I think the cops have through the years. They use to be a bit cooler about things.

I think the cops have through the years. They use to be a bit cooler about things.

Well, through the latest "years" people have been getting shot pretty close to there. Cops are probably more on edge and rightly so. The big stories when I went there were fraternity fights and people joy riding the cops bicycles (and that wasn't that long ago)

Auburn when i was there was a combination of Animal House and Taps. I was in an ROTC Unit with some of the best people in the world. I was also in with some of the biggest drunks and partiers too. Auburn was second largest ROTC Unit in the nation, only TAMU and the Service Academies were larger. So i could easily see that AU would be very very conservative.

Now that i am older, i find myself not so much anymore.

It means absolutely nothing to me. Conservative and liberal are two terms that have been swapped around between the two ideological camps so much that they are virtually meaningless.

I think I'm going to start referring to myself as a Bourbon Democrat and see how many confused looks I get.

It means absolutely nothing to me. Conservative and liberal are two terms that have been swapped around between the two ideological camps so much that they are virtually meaningless.

I think I'm going to start referring to myself as a Bourbon Democrat and see how many confused looks I get.

Wow, i had given up even trying to get people to see that. The two sides have shifted sides so many times, they are really completely misnamed etc.

Cool, I'll go with Antebellum Republican.

Wow, i had given up even trying to get people to see that. The two sides have shifted sides so many times, they are really completely misnamed etc.

Well, I totally disagree. There is a Washington elitist political class that definitely includes both democrats and republicans. There is no doubt about that however, there is a legitimate difference between conservatives and liberals the most obvious of which is a reverence for the Constitution. That's why the Tea Party had so much appeal. A helluva lot of people are tired of career politicians of both parties inside the Washington bubble simply going along to get along. Consequently, tons of money has been spent by establishment republicans to defeat Tea Party candidates - they dont want anyone outing their charade.

The funny thing is, a lot people complain about the parties being interchangeable but when someone with true conservative ideals expresses them those same folks are among some of the first to call them crazy right wing loons. Seems ironic to me buts that just me I guess.

TBV, we are talking about something else.

The DEMOCRAT PARTY: The Dems now actually advocate AGAINST true democracy. They are far more prone to support a "republican" form of govt over a true democracy. They want rule by the Elites.

The REPUBLICAN PARTY: Is actually against republican forms of govt. they would rather the rabble rousers rule.

The Conservatives: Actually advocate for almost unrestricted freedoms. They advocate for traditional religious control, but are against secular controls in most forms.

The Liberals: Actually advocate for lives micromanaged by govt decrees and people mindlessly challenged at every turn. Size of coke drinks? Tobacco products?

Well, I totally disagree. There is a Washington elitist political class that definitely includes both democrats and republicans. There is no doubt about that however, there is a legitimate difference between conservatives and liberals the most obvious of which is a reverence for the Constitution. That's why the Tea Party had so much appeal. A helluva lot of people are tired of career politicians of both parties inside the Washington bubble simply going along to get along. Consequently, tons of money has been spent by establishment republicans to defeat Tea Party candidates - they dont want anyone outing their charade.

The funny thing is, a lot people complain about the parties being interchangeable but when someone with true conservative ideals expresses them those same folks are among some of the first to call them crazy right wing loons. Seems ironic to me buts that just me I guess.

Feaux reverence, by and large. Conservatives love the 2nd, offer conditional support for the 1st, and couldn't care less about the "crimnul coddlin' 4th-7th Amendments. Liberals and conservatives swap places vis a vis support for the 9th and 10th Amendments according to who enjoys a majority in D.C. The same goes for executive power.

Until we collectively decide that the Constitution and Bill of Rights means what it says no matter which party or ideology is wielding power, its not worth the paper its written on. A house divided, and all that.

Archived