Beating Clemson

tigerbrotha12

We will be ready for this game, and we will win.

I like your optimism..Auburn's chance to make a statement and set the season on the right course,

No excuses, if Auburn blows it in an ugly way then Gus should be blasted and he will be.

We have the talent, facilities ,fans you name it. Clemson is not unbeatable if we are prepared,disciplined and well coached.

How many decades do we have to go through this

go through what?

Failing to live up to expectations. Auburn has zero excuses to not be competitive in the the three major sports. We are last

I guess you might not have been around in 2004 or 2010 or 2013..but the football team did pretty well those years...but true, the baseball and basketball have been less than stellar. But both programs seems to have the coaches that most fans want...and they appear to be willing to give the coaches time to win....

So, maybe not much longer....

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe we'll see a big difference in the BB team this season with the players coming back, and coming in. Pearl knows his stuff, and he'll have the best unit (on paper) he's had since he arrived. We shall see what happens.

We are not going to get anyone better than Pearl. As long as he stays clean (and I think he will), I'm willing to give him at least another 4-5 years to get things going. I'm just afraid a better basketball school will try and hire him away soon.

Shouldn't expect a big difference in b ball. Not saying it couldn't happen but we don't have size. I don't know the other SEC team's roster state though.

As far as beating Clemson, it will probably be hard. I don't believe in saying defense is a strength when it hasn't been a strength in 5 years and before it's ever showed to be a strength. And a new d cord. But that's just me

Shouldn't expect a big difference in b ball. Not saying it couldn't happen but we don't have size. I don't know the other SEC team's roster state though.

As far as beating Clemson, it will probably be hard. I don't believe in saying defense is a strength when it hasn't been a strength in 5 years and before it's ever showed to be a strength. And a new d cord. But that's just me

Not normally, but when your program was where Auburn's was last season in BB, there's plenty of room for a big improvement. That big improvement doesn't mean we win the SEC or make the NCAA tourney.

I Like many think we will have a strong D this year but I can understand your pessimism based on Auburn D performance in recent years. I hope we are right and you are wrong on the D front. My biggest fear is the O-Line 3 returning starters and 1 has moved to a new position.

As to size issue on BBall team the team that won it all wasn't very big. Spencer and Laron have the potential to be really good paint defenders and we have a lot of talent at Guard and SF. I don't expect world beaters but I think we will be pleasantly surprised by BBall team this year. Like you I believe we will be better and I hope we are good enough to make NIT or NCAA tourney.

We will be ready for this game, and we will win.

I like your optimism..Auburn's chance to make a statement and set the season on the right course,

No excuses, if Auburn blows it in an ugly way then Gus should be blasted and he will be.

We have the talent, facilities ,fans you name it. Clemson is not unbeatable if we are prepared,disciplined and well coached.

How many decades do we have to go through this

go through what?

Failing to live up to expectations. Auburn has zero excuses to not be competitive in the the three major sports. We are last

I guess you might not have been around in 2004 or 2010 or 2013..but the football team did pretty well those years...but true, the baseball and basketball have been less than stellar. But both programs seems to have the coaches that most fans want...and they appear to be willing to give the coaches time to win....

So, maybe not much longer....

What did 2004, 2013 and MAYBE 2010 have to do with this. AU didn't have any expectations in 2004 or 2013. MAYBE some in 2010 but his/her point is spot on. Would love to come in ranked in the top 5 and live up to those expectations. I can't remember the last time AU did this. Anyone?

We are talking about Clemson. Clemson. They think beating up on NC State, GT, Syracuse and a bunch of FCS teams isinpressive... Cause they are Clemson. They can't handle BAMA as they've shown, and we all know they can't handle UGA, LSU, Ole MISS, Miss State, A&M... And sure can't handleAuburn.

There is only one thing that falls harder than Deshaun Watson getting pummeled by Carl Lawson, and that's the tears of Clemson fans driving home after losing opening day to the real Tigers.

War.Damn.Eagle.

We are talking about Clemson. Clemson. They think beating up on NC State, GT, Syracuse and a bunch of FCS teams isinpressive... Cause they are Clemson. They can't handle BAMA as they've shown, and we all know they can't handle UGA, LSU, Ole MISS, Miss State, A&M... And sure can't handleAuburn.

There is only one thing that falls harder than Deshaun Watson getting pummeled by Carl Lawson, and that's the tears of Clemson fans driving home after losing opening day to the real Tigers.

War.Damn.Eagle.

Actually they've beaten us a few times, beaten UGA, AND beaten LSU since 2012. Sure, they lost to Bama last year but everyone has lost to them except for a few games here and there over a few years (ole miss twice, oklahoma, us)

edit: Wait, am I being trolled?

We are talking bout Clemson. Once we hang bout half a hundred on em Dabo and the clown crew can do their goofy dance back to SC dreaming about the days when they won their last NC

We are not going to get anyone better than Pearl. As long as he stays clean (and I think he will), I'm willing to give him at least another 4-5 years to get things going. I'm just afraid a better basketball school will try and hire him away soon.

I know this isn't the basketball forum, but just to clarify its been discussed as to why Pearl would WANT to leave Auburn. He's got tremendous support from his fanbase and administration here. He's spent two years building a foundation and if he went elsewhere, it would probably be to build another program again. I doubt he wants to start all over from scratch like that, so there are probably not a lot of reasons he would even think about leaving. Pearl seems to genuinely love where he's at and he's a rockstar here too.

We are talking bout Clemson. Once we hang bout half a hundred on em Dabo and the clown crew can do their goofy dance back to SC dreaming about the days when they won their last NC

:cheers:

:cheers:

I'll take style over substance with this one. I second the :cheers:

Not normally, but when your program was where Auburn's was last season in BB, there's plenty of room for a big improvement. That big improvement doesn't mean we win the SEC or make the NCAA tourney.

Bowers was better than the fan base gave him credit for. And we're breaking in brand new guards. I just don't see it, unless the guards REALLY surprise me

record wise, I believe our basketball team will be the most improved in the league. We get Dunans back and he plays his natural position. We have a grad transfer point guard and a freshman point guard coming in. Spencer is back, We add more size with other new faces. Plus we have Danjel Purifoy finally eligible. Pear was on record last year saying with Purifoy we would have been a tournament team. None of us has seen him play yet, but if he is that good along with Dunans and Brown, etc. we will be really good. I expect at least 20 wins this coming season.

Can we get this thread back on track? Seriously, let's talk about BEATING CLEMSON..,in FOOTBALL. Because... It's Clemson.

The only thing I'm worried about is JFIII's cleats melting because he burns one up the middle so fast.

Gonna see a lot of purple shirts leaving early in the 4th quarter.

War.Damn.Eagle.

Can we get this thread back on track? Seriously, let's talk about BEATING CLEMSON..,in FOOTBALL. Because... It's Clemson.

The only thing I'm worried about is JFIII's cleats melting because he burns one up the middle so fast.

Gonna see a lot of purple shirts leaving early in the 4th quarter.

War.Damn.Eagle.

I like the way you think

Hope we get on the scoreboard? HOPE WE GET ON THE SCOREBOARD!?!?!

What in the world is going on around here??? They are coming to Our House. Your right, they Almost beat Bammer, but they lost.

Clemson couldn't handle the pressure, and it caused them to go home crying on that trophy day.

We hang half a hundred on em and start the season right.

War.Damn.Eagle.

I feel good about this AU team.

Never in his career has Gus fielded an O like last year. Totally caught off guard by Duke, JJ, and other issues.

I expect marked improvement on O, and the best defense we've had since Tuberville.

Watch out Clemson! We comin'!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article by seccountry. link

7.5 points does seem a bit much.

AUBURN, Ala. — Clemson has everything going for it entering the 2016 season.

The national runner-up has won 10 games or more in each of the last five seasons. The Tigers of the ACC have the Heisman Trophy frontrunner in quarterback Deshaun Watson. Their talent is deep, rich and experienced.

Oh, and they’ll likely be picked to win the ACC again and will be a top 5 team in the country.

The season opener at Auburn is a crucial stepping stone for a program that seemingly has paved a path of systemic success, but could the Tigers of the SEC prove to be a road trip in more ways than one for Clemson?

Here are five reasons why Clemson, a 7.5-point favorite, will have its national championship hopes dashed Sept. 3 inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.

1. Clemson doesn’t know what to expect

Let’s face it, Clemson is coming to Auburn somewhat blind. Heck, even Auburn doesn’t know what its offense is going to look like when the two teams kick off for an evening game.

Believe it or not, this could work in Auburn’s favor. Not many have seen quarterback John Franklin III in action, and if he earns the starting job, an inept offense from a season ago could start churning up the grass much like the groups of 2013 and 2014 did with fellow dual-threat quarterback Nick Marshall.

That’s a lot to ask of Franklin III. He has yet to win the starting job and he faces stiff competition. Plus, Auburn has not yet decided on a rotation at receiver, where two to three (and maybe four) freshmen will need to contribute to a group that was frustratingly inconsistent last season as the Tigers rotated Jeremy Johnson and Sean White in an effort to spark the offense.

With that said, Gus Malzahn seems more invested than ever in his offense and if Franklin III can provide the duality Auburn has so desperately missed in recent months, Clemson could be caught off guard.

2. The crowd at Jordan-Hare Stadium

The crowd at Jordan-Hare Stadium might be one of the more underrated fan bases in the SEC. The 87,451-seat stadium is loud — and even more so with its vibrating sound system and college football’s largest scoreboard.

Sound can exacerbate the effects of heat, leading to further disorientation for visitors. Meanwhile, the home team will feed off that energy.

Auburn fans have seen their fair share of drama at Jordan-Hare Stadium, and they know the Tigers are capable of rallying from deficits if Clemson gets ahead early, so don’t count out the effects one or two big plays could have for Auburn and its fans. Momentum can swing in a hurry on the Plains, and usually in the home team’s favor.

3. Auburn’s defense is much better

Auburn has not had a top-25 defense since 2007, but this might be the year that drought ends.

The defensive line should be among the best in the SEC, but the key will be whether everyone can stay healthy (but isn’t that always the case?). Defensive end Carl Lawson is a game changer. Look no further than the first half of the season opener against Louisville in 2015 if you need to be convinced at how different this Auburn team looks when the former 5-star prospect is on the field.

Deshaun Watson can smack a defense around with his arm, but his legs could get Auburn in trouble. Dual-threat quarterbacks have been a pain for Auburn to defend in recent seasons, but this defense might also be the fastest and most athletic of the Gus Malzahn era. If Auburn gets pressure on Watson, things could change in a hurry for Auburn.

RELATED: Why Auburn is a ‘tough’ opponent for Clemson

4. Clemson’s defense is reloading

Only three starters return on Clemson’s defense, which ranked in the top 10 in 2015. While the backups and rotation will still be strong, time will be needed to break in the latest incarnation of Brent Venable’s defense.

Auburn has some experience along the offensive line. If they get a good push early, Auburn could move up and down the field with relative and surprising ease against Clemson. Tempo and momentum will be everything in this game, and if Auburn is having success early against the reloading Clemson defense, the upset alert will be on high.

The biggest losses are defensive ends Shaq Lawson and Kevin Dodd, who combined for 24.5 sacks (!) in 2015. Without them, life would be difficult rushing the passer, especially if that passer is mobile quarterback John Franklin III.

5. Gus Malzahn has a bag of tricks

This is a crucial season for Gus Malzahn as he sits on a much warmer seat than he did a year ago. With everything to lose, perhaps Malzahn will go back to what made him so successful early in his college career: unique formations, trick plays and plenty of misdirection.

We get the feeling Malzahn will throw everything in his playbook — and maybe a few trick plays — at Clemson in the opener in an effort to pull the upset and set the Tigers up for a big run with five straight home games at home to open the season.

Auburn rarely used trick plays last season, but when the Tigers did pull out the trickeration, it usually worked. A big run by freshman Ryan Davis against Texas A&M on Malzahn’s patented Woody play especially stands out.

Why do we think Malzahn will go back to his tricky ways? His comments about reverting to life as a “football coach” rather than a “CEO” this offseason were telling, and designing interesting and exciting plays could be one of several results of his renewed approach.

to me #1 and #2 are the biggest factors.

#3- doesn't matter how good our defense is. they have Deshawn Watson. he had no issues with Alabama's defense last year.

#4 - wont matter. Clemson has recruited very well. if I remember correctly, people said the same thing about them going into the 2015 season.

#5 - this is a push for me. if we have a lead, don't blow it with a trick play. if we're behind and need a spark, go for it.

to me #1 and #2 are the biggest factors.

#3- doesn't matter how good our defense is. they have Deshawn Watson. he had no issues with Alabama's defense last year.

#4 - wont matter. Clemson has recruited very well. if I remember correctly, people said the same thing about them going into the 2015 season.

#5 - this is a push for me. if we have a lead, don't blow it with a trick play. if we're behind and need a spark, go for it.

I'd say #4 would matter. A bunch of freshmen on the road in one of the toughest places to play in the country for their first game should cause a few mistakes by them. This might be a fairly sloppy game but I'm definitely not counting us out.

I'd say #4 would matter. A bunch of freshmen on the road in one of the toughest places to play in the country for their first game should cause a few mistakes by them. This might be a fairly sloppy game but I'm definitely not counting us out.

Kerry is right. People said the EXACT same thing about them going into the 2015 season when they had just THREE returning defensive starters.

For 2016, they return four...three Seniors and a Junior.

#4 won't matter. Why? They have Venables, a Top 3 DC in the game.

And none of their other seven projected starters are Freshmen...one Senior, two Juniors & four Sophs...all with experience.

Archived