Harsin saying 6-6 is not a good first year.

autiger88

1 hour ago, Didba said:

Just alot of 4 and 5  star guys we are competing with Bama with that witnessed Jordan-Hare in an Instant Classic.  Seeing the stadium like that can have a huge impact on recruits not even beginning to look at the impact the actual game had on recruits in our favor.  Is what I am guessing he is referring too.

One anecdotal observation I’ve noticed: more players are speaking to specifics about their position, how it is coached, and what their role would be. (Examaple: free Rivals content on Demario Tolan) They are also speaking a lot about the intensity in program and how hard the staff is working to build something special. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

That certain previous coach didn't have the luxury of playing Akron, Alabama State & Georgia State.  Take away those games from this year's win total and we are 3-6. 

Then you have to subtract last years wins vs Arky and OM that were gifted to us by the refs. Works both ways. Best just to say you are what your record says you are because there are caveats to every season.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

That certain previous coach didn't have the luxury of playing Akron, Alabama State & Georgia State.  Take away those games from this year's win total and we are 3-6. 

Take away the Arky and Ole Miss games last year that Auburn lost in every way besides the scoreboard thanks to massive terrible calls by refs and Gus's last season at AU is 4-6 in the SEC. 4-8 overall.

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Was people expecting him to?

Considering the comments last year that 6-4 "was a decent season" from our former HC, its a refreshing change of pace.

15 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Take away the 3 cupcakes and it looks a little different.  Likewise, add those three to last year's totals and the season indeed looks much more solid than this one.

You can take away 3 cupcakes from every Malzahn year and see how things look. Last year, take away the USCe loss and the UT win and add 3 cupcakes and we would have been maybe 9-3 and still lost to Georgia, bama, and A&M. And that 9-3 would have depended on being able to beat North Carolina. And we still would have lost the bowl game and finished another in a long line of 4 loss minimum seasons. So yeah, another typical solid year with 4 losses for Malzahn. 

15 hours ago, selias said:

I think he did the best he could with the hand that was dealt.

I don't. 

The question is, how often does a coach actually do the best he could with the hand he was dealt, and who out there could have done better this season with this hand than Harsin did? I know the answer to the first question is just about never, and whatever the answer to the second question is, it doesn't include many names. 

Very interested to see what changes are made to the staff. Ryan Davis has already moved on. There'll be more. Not sure if there will be any "big deal" changes or not. I think there's should be, although not at the coordinator level. 

He should say that.

This team went backwards over the course of the season. Some of that is injury and depth related, but we got manhandled by an average A&M team, choked on a historical level against state, managed to lose to a much less talented and equally banged up South Carolina squad and even though we played above our heads, we still blew a double digit lead to bama. 

There’s certainly positives, but this was not a good start for Harsin.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nurbis said:

You can take away 3 cupcakes from every Malzahn year and see how things look. Last year, take away the USCe loss and the UT win and add 3 cupcakes and we would have been maybe 9-3 and still lost to Georgia, bama, and A&M. And that 9-3 would have depended on being able to beat North Carolina. And we still would have lost the bowl game and finished another in a long line of 4 loss minimum seasons. So yeah, another typical solid year with 4 losses for Malzahn. 

Yet that wasn't the point.

19 hours ago, Didba said:

Take away the Arky and Ole Miss games last year that Auburn lost in every way besides the scoreboard thanks to massive terrible calls by refs and Gus's last season at AU is 4-6 in the SEC. 4-8 overall.

I see..... so we should just all agree that we are so much better to day at 6-6.  Sure.

20 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Glad to see you made it back Kristi.  How’s Orlando?  Been to Disneyland?  Thanks for coming in and giving your thoughts 

No Mary Ann.  You still on that 3 hour tour?

14 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I see..... so we should just all agree that we are so much better to day at 6-6.  Sure.

Arguably yes, if the foundation for the program is being built better. That remains to be seen but the record is not everything. We had a better SEC record and higher finish in conference in Tony Barbee's last year at Auburn than we did in Bruce Pearl's first year. 

10 minutes ago, nurbis said:

Arguably yes, if the foundation for the program is being built better. That remains to be seen but the record is not everything. We had a better SEC record and higher finish in conference in Tony Barbee's last year at Auburn than we did in Bruce Pearl's first year. 

I don’t think using Tony Barbee here is a good example. I will just leave it at that . Respectfully 

1 minute ago, e808 said:

I don’t think using Tony Barbee here is a good example. I will just leave it at that . Respectfully 

It is a perfect example. Barbee was awful yet Pearl had a worse SEC record in his first year after taking over. Would anybody today argue that Barbee was the better coach because of that? My point was yes, the record is worse this year than last year but that doesn't automatically mean Harsin is worse than Malzahn or that we are worse off, it just means we need to be patient and give him more time to build his program.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nurbis said:

It is a perfect example. Barbee was awful yet Pearl had a worse SEC record in his first year after taking over. Would anybody today argue that Barbee was the better coach because of that? My point was yes, the record is worse this year than last year but that doesn't automatically mean Harsin is worse than Malzahn or that we are worse off, it just means we need to be patient and give him more time to build his program.

Malzahn was light years better than Barbee. Gus never had a losing season. During Barbee tenure Auburn basketball was terrible.  Coach Pearl was an established coach (within the SEC) but because of circumstances was fired. CBP was easily by far the best basketball coach hired since Coach Smith.We can agree to disagree. My apologies 

Edited by e808

Just now, e808 said:

Malzahn was light years better than Barbee. Gus never had a losing season. During Barbee tenure Auburn basketball was terrible.   We can agree to disagree. My apologies 

There is nothing for us to disagree on. You are stating a completely different point than the one I was making. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I don't. 

The question is, how often does a coach actually do the best he could with the hand he was dealt, and who out there could have done better this season with this hand than Harsin did? I know the answer to the first question is just about never, and whatever the answer to the second question is, it doesn't include many names. 

Very interested to see what changes are made to the staff. Ryan Davis has already moved on. There'll be more. Not sure if there will be any "big deal" changes or not. I think there's should be, although not at the coordinator level. 

Ryan Davis was on staff? When was this announced?

1 hour ago, KnightTiger said:

Wow. That was a complete waste of text. (The blog post, not your post)

• Love 1

27 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Ryan Davis was on staff? When was this announced?

Apologies, Ryan Smith, director of player personnel. I've probably typed Ryan Davis over a thousand times, lol. 

On 11/28/2021 at 7:33 PM, Didba said:

Ok.. Let's try and follow this argument through.....We can't count the wins against any bad team nor any wins where we didn't win the stat line?

We are REQUIRED to play teams outside the SEC... Are you suggesting that we should be scheduling the very best of the other leagues because of....style points? a win only counts if the other team is good?  

Let's remember the ONLY thing that matters each year.. Having a team fighting for #4 in the playoff rankings and/or a trip to the SEC championship game.. We play enough teams that have crazily stacked rosters.... Let's not make the job impossible

Edited by HSVWarEagle
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, HSVWarEagle said:

Ok.. Let's try and follow this argument through.....We can't count the wins against any bad team nor any wins where we didn't win the stat line?

We are REQUIRED to play teams outside the SEC... Are you suggesting that we should be scheduling the very best of the other leagues because of....style points? a win only counts if the other team is good?  

Let's remember the ONLY thing that matters each year.. Having a team fighting for #4 in the playoff rankings and/or a trip to the SEC championship game.. We play enough teams that have crazily stacked rosters.... Let's not make the job impossible

My comment was not meant to be taken seriously. You took it way too seriously. Also, you read so much into it waaaaay beyond what was meant to be taken at face value. I think you misunderstand what I was getting at. Gus's record last year should have had two more losses. That's it. Nothing more. All that other stuff you brought I have no idea what you are talking about.

On 11/28/2021 at 7:33 PM, Didba said:

Take away every game we won and we are winless.  Unacceptable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1