Transfer Portal Targets/Commits (2022)

AUght2win

6 minutes ago, wcware said:

I don’t even know what to say. If this is going to be the future of college football, I’m not sure how interested I am in it.

Probably extremely little since we're doing nothing to be competitive and soon a west bottom feeder

7 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

For now it is something got to happen to get it under control.

So restrict players getting what they are worth bc were too cheap or disorganized to compete for em??

Edited by W.E.D
  • Facepalm 3

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

So restrict players getting what they are worth bc were too cheap or disorganized to compete for em??

What scale do we use to determine worth? Or should we just pay the what they ask for?  How much should a kid from WKU cost? Or any school for that matter? Serious question for everyone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Just because folks pay more than something’s worth doesn’t mean there’s value.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

The problem with this line of thought is no one knows what a guy out of high school is really worth.   

• Like 1

Just now, PoetTiger said:

What scale do we use to determine worth? Or should we just pay the what they ask for?  How much should a kid from WKU cost? Or any school for that matter? Serious question for everyone.

WKU? $49.95 plus gift cards to Chikfila

• Haha 1

Guess no ones ever paid attention to professional teams over spending for free agents and it hurting them for years and years

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

Someone is going to pay some dollar. It's the free market at its finest right now.

Bur hey, if yall want to over regulate bc Auburn lost out, have at it

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Guess no ones ever paid attention to professional teams over spending for free agents and it hurting them for years and years

These are all one year contracts and no salary cap. Nit a great comp

• Like 1

Just now, W.E.D said:

These are all one year contracts and no salary cap. Nit a great comp

For you I’m sure it’s not. For those footing the bill it absolutely is. 

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Someone is going to pay some dollar. It's the free market at its finest right now.

Let 'em pay. Fielding a pro team is not in AU's mission. The harsh reality is that it may be time to drop a division or two. SEC TV money blah blah blah. There are costs associated with those revenues, and the costs just went way up. The incoming money may not be worth it anymore. 

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, TigerHorn said:

Let 'em pay. Fielding a pro team is not in AU's mission. The harsh reality is that it may be time to drop a division or two. SEC TV money blah blah blah. There are costs associated with those revenues, and the costs just went way up. The incoming money may not be worth it anymore. 

OK, welcome to 3-9

6 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

It's a good question and I don't know the answer. I generally believe something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. 

These are proven players at the college level, not just hotshot HS recruits. There is no salary cap in CFB. So, if you have the money and want to win, might as well spend it I guess. 

• Like 2

I can root for an Auburn team that is adding a little something to the normal scholarship and stipend. If Harsin wants to play it that way, I've supported and rooted for AU teams that won less than 50% of their games in other sports. Get guys that want to play at AU, pad their pockets a few hundred a month, finish 5-7 every year and I'm on board. Start getting into an arms race with people who clearly have much, much more money that we have and I'm out.

In recent years all of my donations to AU have gone to the academic side anyway. I'm not joining some LLC that buys football players.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

No one will have a clue for a few cycles.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

No one will have a clue for a few cycles.

True in the overall picture, but we all know there are a handful of schools out there whose rich backers will pay multi-millions to win games. This is a setup that AU cannot win. While the playing field has never been entirely level for us, it's been close enough for us to at least have a chance to compete. I'm not seeing that happening in the future.

47 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He's like the 900th rated player in the country. He isn't "highly rated"

Maybe I should have said highly regarded. I'm basing this off his offer list. Potboss at Arky is a good judge of  OL talent.. Don't worry AU prob won't waste a Scholly on him. 

47 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I get the guy wants to hype he friends kid, but he's a 3* and as of two weeks ago yhe last player ranked in the state, but he's acting like he's a 5* kid we're ignoring 

Just going off his offer list Sir... But I guess we are above the Penn St, FSU and Notre Dames of the world.. I keep forgetting about all the 5* We have beating down the door

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

Just going off his offer list Sir... But I guess we are above the Penn St, FSU and Notre Dames of the world.. I keep forgetting about all the 5* We have beating down the door

And for the record, he isn't my friends kid. I know them and know some about his recruitment. 

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

No one mentioned over regulation…I’m just trying to determine value…. For example NFL/NBA  has a rookie scale….should NIL have a scale or should it remain open 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

No one mentioned over regulation…I’m just trying to determine value…. For example NFL/NBA  has a rookie scale….should NIL have a scale or should it remain open 

Remain open.  The Rookie scales are collectively bargained agreements.  It was pulling teeth to even allow these kids the ability to get paid

• Like 1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

OK, welcome to 3-9

If you've got the money to buy a $30M signing class, have at it and we'll all celebrate with you. Otherwise, find a happy spot with whatever record we can pull off against teams spending that. This isn't "Auburn" making a call to spend or not spend. It's wealthy individuals and businesses. We're not high on the list in numbers of those alums and boosters. 

• Like 3