Transfer Portal Targets/Commits (2022)

AUght2win

Seeing mods starting to post about Vandy OT Tyler Steen. 

Wonder if that's out clue about Brooks to TY

6 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Opinion.

Being buried in a depth chart doesn't mean they aren't quality players. Depends on the situation they are currently in vs the situation we can offer them.

Exactly. The teams they are in maybe getting transfers coming in that may be put ahead of them on the starting or 2 deep depth chart, so its a possibility to get good offensive and defensive players out of srping.

The problem for the areas that we are concerned with the most are OL and WR, and ofc one more good QB.

The Wrs are the ones that would be the biggest gamble, if they have to wait till summer to get into AU. They will have had no reps with current offensive QBs, playbook, etc to hone their nderstainding of the playbook.

So it probably means they are simply depth. And as we found out last year with guys we thought would be starters (Capers and Canion), somehow they didn't perform up to Harsin's needs or didn't understand the playbook, and they had a spring to learn it.

I agree we are struggling with getting the top pf the line of transfers we wanted, and if it stays on that course Friend needs to be gone. And not sure why we struggle w/ WRs here too, but it could be they don't see a good fit for producing with the offense we are getting.

But you have to take it in waves, and look for some pots of gold somewhere in all this. We really won't know for sure until Spring and defintely Fall practice. 

I do think if Calzada improves, and we DO get a t least 1-2 better OL to work with our returning guys, I think the current core of WRs will be better, kind of like what happened this year with guys like Hudson, JJ, Jackson and a little bit lf the TE we tried to use a little at WR. We have speed, we just need size.

50 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Seeing mods starting to post about Vandy OT Tyler Steen. 

Wonder if that's out clue about Brooks to TY

"Steen redshirted in 2018 before starting at right tackle in 2019 and then moved over to left tackle in 2020. He struggled at times on the left side but played well on the right and could be a late-round NFL Draft prospect down the line at guard or right tackle. Steen will be a graduate transfer"

From a SDS article. So he's played both tackles and also Guard?  Versatile, at least 

5 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Not that I know of. There’s always a chance that there is a couple of olineman that we haven’t thought about, but I don’t think so. Hunter N wants to play center, and Brahms coming back makes me feel like he goes somewhere that he can do that. 

.....or he beats out Brahms for the job.

I also think what's being lost in all of this is how much easier it is to block for a pocket passing QB. Returning most of the OL isn't as bad as several of you are making it seem. Next year (2023 signing year) is the big year and that will come through high school and the portal next year.

Edited by WDE_OxPx_2010

1 hour ago, IronMan70 said:

.....or he beats out Brahms for the job.

He could. But let’s just think about this for a second. 

You’re Hunter N. You have one last year to play football and you want to move to center because that what you want to play in the league. You’re looking to transfer to a school that needs a center. You look around. One of the schools you’re interested in is returning another 6 year senior with 5 years of Center experience, 3 of the starting for that team. 

Would you go to that school or would you just go to one of the other schools that doesn’t have a long time starting center returning?

52 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I also think what's being lost in all of this is how much easier it is to block for a pocket passing QB. Returning most of the OL isn't as bad as several of you are making it seem. Next year (2023 signing year) is the big year and that will come through high school and the portal next year.

I saw an article a few days ago that stated AU had signed 6 HS o linemen in the past 3 recruiting cycles. UGA had signed 15. If thats accurate, we simply cannot keep kicking the can down the road anymore. We need 4-5 this class. The fact that we’re not trending to do that is very disappointing. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

I saw an article a few days ago that stated AU had signed 6 HS o linemen in the past 3 recruiting cycles. UGA had signed 15. 

I mean, who would really try and defend that...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I don't see anyone defending it (anymore) ;)

image.png.fc6b0d00560341e0f07f1143c271c39b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

Nobody. 1 & 1/2 of those seasons are on Harsin.  Things were different back when I was correcting the errors about signings and counting noses for those too lazy do their own counting.

• Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Nobody. 1 & 1/2 of those seasons are on Harsin.  Things were different back when I was correcting the errors about signings and counting noses for those too lazy do their own counting.

You can't have it both ways, though. If you want to slam Harsin for poor OL recruiting (justified to this point), you have to also acknowledge Gus' failure in this regard. 

I don't know why everyone can't admit that both have sucked in this aspect. I don't know why this is so hard for both sides. Only difference being that Harsin still has a chance to improve and Gus' history is written. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

1 & 1/2 of those seasons are on Harsin.

My favorite thing you do here is act like Harsin’s been here for a season and a half. Literally got here December 24th, 2020. Been here for a year and a month. 

Acting like he could fix Gus’ class of misfits in the 2021 class is just preposterous. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, selias said:

I don't see anyone defending it (anymore) ;)

image.png.fc6b0d00560341e0f07f1143c271c39b.png

If only more would follow suit. The dude remains unavoidable because folks like to feed the wildlife.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cbo said:

I don't know why everyone can't admit that both have sucked in this aspect. I don't know why this is so hard for both sides. Only difference being that Harsin still has a chance to improve and Gus' history is written. 

Can't speak for everyone but I'm not going to say he's sucked so far because this cycle isn't over yet. If we get to summer camp without improvement then I will have no issue criticizing him accordingly. But it's still very possible that he is sticking to a plan that works. 

In my mind, it's not a thing where it sucks and then it doesn't. If we close the cycle with a good class, then we closed the cycle with a good class and there's not much of a takeaway other than he knew what he was doing all along. 

I get the fading optimism. I'm not without concern myself. But we really don't have to wait much longer for the three count. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Can't speak for everyone but I'm not going to say he's sucked so far because this cycle isn't over yet. If we get to summer camp without improvement then I will have no issue criticizing him accordingly. But it's still very possible that he is sticking to a plan that works. 

In my mind, it's not a thing where it sucks and then it doesn't. If we close the cycle with a good class, then we closed the cycle with a good class and there's not much of a takeaway other than he knew what he was doing all along. 

I get the fading optimism. I'm not without concern myself. But we really don't have to wait much longer for the three count. 

I want to be in your camp but I really feel we need at least 1 OT from Portal who joins team this week. O-line more so than any other group is about playing like a unit.  It takes time to develop that cohesiveness that an O-line needs. we can have one guy like HN come in late but really need Brooks or the young man from Vandy who after watching some film would be a good RT or Guard but not at LT.  I am really hoping Colby Smith has developed and is the LT we have been needing for a while.  Zierer is better than people have been giving him credit for and Troxell could play G which like Hamm last year I think is his best position. Zierer was better with each game he played I really think he is ready.

Ideally we get Brooks this week and the young man from Vandy without either even with my positivity about Smith and Zierer if they work out we are 1 injury away from being in huge trouble.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, cbo said:

You can't have it both ways, though. If you want to slam Harsin for poor OL recruiting (justified to this point), you have to also acknowledge Gus' failure in this regard. 

This goes way, way back, from years ago. Someone got dog poop on his shoe and can't seem to wipe it off. Most would hope to move on and not have the subject come up again. I guess there are some who like to be reminded of their failings.

The subject was not brought up with regard to anything current. I can't blame people who weren't in on it from the beginning for not understanding the source. It has nothing to do with Harsin, or anything vaguely current. My suggestion is to drop it, which I am perfectly willing to do. If the wounded party wants to keep picking at his scab, that's not our problem.

3 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

My favorite thing you do here is act like Harsin’s been here for a season and a half. Literally got here December 24th, 2020. Been here for a year and a month. 

Acting like he could fix Gus’ class of misfits in the 2021 class is just preposterous. 

College football is a process of turnovers. That's expected. Guys graduated. Gus transferred out. What has the new staff done that in any way exceeds what the old staff was doing in O-line recruiting? Where is the improvement from that "horrible" situation? Got names of several O-line players we've brought in over the past year?

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

College football is a process of turnovers. That's expected. Guys graduated. Gus transferred out. What has the new staff done that in any way exceeds what the old staff was doing in O-line recruiting? Where is the improvement from that "horrible" situation? Got names of several O-line players we've brought in over the past year?

Now Lee Hunter is in the portal. Harsin got to get it in gear.. Portal management ain't working

13 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Now Lee Hunter is in the portal. Harsin got to get it in gear.. Portal management ain't working

Don’t know what Hunters motives are but some kids expect immediate playing time, and if they don’t earn it they are ready to bolt.  Doesn’t matter who the coach is or the culture in the program.  It’s a me first generation.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, dilligas said:

Don’t know what Hunters motives are but some kids expect immediate playing time, and if they don’t earn it they are ready to bolt.  Doesn’t matter who the coach is or the culture in the program.  It’s a me first generation.

I hope the hell we don’t keep losing this kind of talent.  I also hope he doesn’t end up with former DL coach Eason that’s now at Clemson or UCF.  I’m not sure who would have recruited him.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

I hope the hell we don’t keep losing this kind of talent.  I also hope he doesn’t end up with former DL coach Eason that’s now at Clemson or UCF.  I’m not sure who would have recruited him.

It takes more than talent. 

was Hunter a Gus recruit who still signed after the change ? He may be having issues adapting to Mason’s defense change to a 3-4. 

humter may be a lazy kid not putting in the work. 

DL is the least of our needs. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2022 at 4:09 PM, AuCivilEng1 said:

He could. But let’s just think about this for a second. 

You’re Hunter N. You have one last year to play football and you want to move to center because that what you want to play in the league. You’re looking to transfer to a school that needs a center. You look around. One of the schools you’re interested in is returning another 6 year senior with 5 years of Center experience, 3 of the starting for that team. 

Would you go to that school or would you just go to one of the other schools that doesn’t have a long time starting center returning?

He might want a guaranteed situation ? It's very possible.