2023 QB Hank Brown commits

gr82b4au

10 hours ago, autiger88 said:

You know how rare that is? 

Yes, that's rare but 3 starts in the NFL are not rare. In fact, it's very common. For example, Aaron Rogers, Dak Prescott, Patrick MaHomes, Josh Allen and others.

15 hours ago, woodford said:

Hahah I know man. We’re going 4-8 and we’re all going to be posting things like “dang autiger88 was right we’re all so dumb and inferior to him like why did we hire Freeze?😂😂” next season can’t wait 

As far as we were behind the 8 Ball in talent when Freeze was hired we could have a really good class and still go 4-8 but I think we will have a winning season with the talent he is bringing in. This young man is a 3* for 2 reasons one he is very thin which we can address and two he comes from a small school so less knowledge of how he does throwing against better teams when people are in his face.  That is a legitimate question but completion percentage, TD to TO ratio are up there with the big boys. 

Stars do matter but only when looked at across the board a team that gets basically all 4* and 5* players will be really good even if a few flame out as they will have a talented player to replace them. Some 2* and 3* star players grow, the light comes on, or they did not have enough exposure and all of a sudden they are people like Mahomes. The odds are based on his 3* ranking is he can be a serviceable QB  which isn't that bad if you have the right people around him. He could also blossom but with number of available slots we have this year this is an excellent pickup.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, autiger88 said:

There's also a lot more who didn't go anywhere just because there was a few who did doesn't mean every single one of them is going to. 

Just means we shouldn't be negative when the coaches look deeply in the 3 star group to find a perceived gem or supper positive when we sign a perceived 5 star. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was talking to to another fan at work and apparently this kid didn't play all throughout high school. I'm not too sure how to really find that information. I googled it to the best of my ability and it looks like he was added to his high school's roster in 2021. That could just be that I am not looking in the right places.

The other guy was saying though if he had played more in high school like he did last year he would be higher ranked. That is all a bunch of hypothetical situations, but at the same time it could mean good things for this kid. If he can be coachable under this staff, he may prove to be on of the few lower ranked qb's to stand out. Again, I know that is held together with a good bit of wishful thinking. I just don't see the point in saying this kid isn't going to cut it.

3 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

I don't understand WHYYYYYY an Auburn fan chooses THIS thread about a 3 star QB committing to Auburn to diminish the kid, in a backhanded sort of way, while mocking other Auburn fans? I don't get it. How about choosing one of the other Freeze threads to bash and berate the man from here to kingdom come? Have at it. Otherwise, sit back and enjoy Auburn FINALLY getting some decent linemen. And thank this young man for choosing Auburn as his school.

Nobody is diminishing the kid not one( he could become great but the likely hood is rare)... I was making fun at the fact that people are praising this as some big get when two months ago most people would have been mad at Harsin for getting only three stars.  Also not putting down Freeze not once in here not once.  Y'all just making stuff up at this point to try and make your selfs feel better. 👍 

10 minutes ago, creed said:

Just means we shouldn't be negative when the coaches look deeply in the 3 star group to find a perceived gem or supper positive when we sign a perceived 5 star. 

I agree wasn't being directly negative at the kid or atleast that wasn't my intention it was more directed at some people who are acting like this is a big get when in reality it isn't until proven. He could turn out to be great but let's pump the breaks on saying well this such and such QB turned out good so why can't this one.  Y'all are just setting yourself up for disappointment if he doesn't work out. It is what it is. Let's move on and enjoy the fact we are getting OL I'm excited we are getting big boys upfront after years of that being neglected. 

• Facepalm 1

26 minutes ago, creed said:

Yes, that's rare but 3 starts in the NFL are not rare. In fact, it's very common. For example, Aaron Rogers, Dak Prescott, Patrick MaHomes, Josh Allen and others.

Ok 

“I’m big on not signing a quarterback that I haven’t seen throw,” Hugh Freeze on QB Hank Brown. “I’ve seen him make every throw you can make. He has an NFL arm. I’ve seen it with my own eyes.”

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

Wonder what some folks would be saying if we got the Coastal QB? I read he was only a 2 star out of HS. 

There are like 800 2* QBs.  Sure one of them might become alright and worthy of a P5 roster spot.

But getting 1 out of HS and banking that you got the needle in a haystack vs realizing there is a good chance you got one of the 799/800 that are terrible is a mindset of in the clouds vs reality

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, autiger88 said:

Ok 

Here are 4 3* kids out of 20,000 3* kids over a few years.  I'm sure this guys is one of those very very very very select few just b/c oooh I want it so bad I must be right!!!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

There are like 800 2* QBs.  Sure one of them might become alright and worthy of a P5 roster spot.

But getting 1 out of HS and banking that you got the needle in a haystack vs realizing there is a good chance you got one of the 799/800 that are terrible is a mindset of in the clouds vs reality

If you had read further , you would have read my reply to about the same post as you just made. I don't care to repeat it. If you'll excuse me , I'll go back to my cloud now. 

9 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

If you had read further , you would have read my reply to about the same post as you just made. I don't care to repeat it. If you'll excuse me , I'll go back to my cloud now. 

k

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Here are 4 3* kids out of 20,000 3* kids over a few years.  I'm sure this guys is one of those very very very very select few just b/c oooh I want it so bad I must be right!!!!

Right... I just gave up because they all seem to think this same thought and God forbid you think differently. 🙃 Being cautiously optimistic is ok but being outright delusional is another. 😒

• Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

Did a quick search on HB.  He got offered and committed (to Liberty) before ever starting a HS game (sat behind a Cincy commit).  Always wanted to be coached by CHF, so he camped there and committed on the spot when offered and he shut recruiting down.  Originally from Illinois.

Based on some pics, he is more physically developed than some are letting on. He has had really good coaching, just not much experience.  He navigates the pocket well and is accurate. Not a runner, but can throw on roll outs and shows touch when needed. Probably doesn't spin it as well as Geriner, but he is good.  He has enough tools to say it will be about how quickly he learns to process routes/coverages and then pull the trigger on time.

I think it is a no-brainer to add him to the QB room.

Edited by AU_Twisterman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You didn't get picked on for having a difference of opinion. You got lambasted for coming in here and ridiculing folks for supporting a depth QB pick. It would be different if we were bringing this dude in here to start right away. This kid is for depth purposes only with the hopes of getting in a transfer, while the other two learn and develop. If this kid makes it great, if not, I am sure he will transfer like most people.

• Like 2

Let's be real. You freeze guys are aggressive as hell too. Everybody had their guy that they wanted. The freeze guys won and that's fine, but you can't shame and make EVERYBODY like it. The most aggressive of you literally was spearheading talking crap about everybody else. 

Let people have time, let some stuff get proven. If it works out others may come around. People can't get mad at people doing the exact same stuff that was done to them.....that's ridiculous. 

Different opinions is a good thing. If we really be honest it's not even about right and wrong because if you don't like the guy and he's right that would just be downplayed, and if a guy is well liked and wrong people will make that ok too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

31 minutes ago, AU_Twisterman said:

Did a quick search on HB.  He got offered and committed before ever starting a HS game (sat behind a Cincy commit).  Always wanted to be coached by CHF, so he camped there and committed on the spot when offered and he shut recruiting down.  Originally from Illinois.

Based on some pics, he is more physically developed than some are letting on. He has had really good coaching, just not much experience.  He navigates the pocket well and is accurate. Not a runner, but can throw on roll outs and shows touch when needed. Probably doesn't spin it as well as Geriner, but he is good.  He has enough tools to say it will be about how quickly he learns to process routes/coverages and then pull the trigger on time.

How does his 47 TD, 3 INT stat square with not starting?

• Like 1

The start of this back and forth wasn’t an opinion. It was stated something to the affect of let that be Harsin getting a 3 star QB and people would be up in arms. I don’t recall anyone making said complaints as he was in a similar position and needed to take quick action before signing days. 
The same applies here who in the world is gonna expect CHF to get a highly rated 4 or 5 star qb 2 weeks before signing day. Cmon!!

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AU_Twisterman said:

Did a quick search on HB.  He got offered and committed before ever starting a HS game (sat behind a Cincy commit).  Always wanted to be coached by CHF, so he camped there and committed on the spot when offered and he shut recruiting down.  Originally from Illinois.

Would make sense he has had some good coaching too.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Let's be real. You freeze guys are aggressive as hell too. Everybody had their guy that they wanted. The freeze guys won and that's fine, but you can't shame and make EVERYBODY like it. The most aggressive of you literally was spearheading talking crap about everybody else. 

Let people have time, let some stuff get proven. If it works out others may come around. People can't get mad at people doing the exact same stuff that was done to them.....that's ridiculous. 

Different opinions is a good thing. If we really be honest it's not even about right and wrong because if you don't like the guy and he's right that would just be downplayed, and if a guy is well liked and wrong people will make that ok too. 

This is all exactly right and it's the problem with the board right now. I get that we are in the Freeze honeymoon phase, but some of us might not like him personally or at least are in wait and see mode. But anything other than cheerleading for Freeze gets hammered by the same group of people. 

Meanwhile, there are constant posts about how terrible Deion and Lane are doing.

It's all a little exhausting, especially after months of condescending posts against anyone who spoke against Harsin. 

And I didn't even read all of this particular thread, so it's not about this specifically. But it's the same thing over and over again across the board. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Like 2
  • Love 1