Men vs Iowa in NCAA Tournament

KansasTiger

9 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Bird should have let me know i would have taken you to dinner.

I thought of you and almost reached out. My daughter took part of the ICCA a capella competition put on at the performance center and we just couldn't make it work.  However, they advanced to the semi's in Phoenix this weekend!

Next time!

• Like 2

I'm doing that stupid thing where I'm drinking the kool-aid and thinking my initial analysis of Auburn basketball was too harsh. Somebody stop me because now I think they win tomorrow.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, woodford said:

I'm doing that stupid thing where I'm drinking the kool-aid and thinking my initial analysis of Auburn basketball was too harsh. Somebody stop me because now I think they win tomorrow.

If you have a recording of a previous game that you can view again, that should at least temper expectations of a win. I am going to remain hopeful myself but I am not setting myself up for a letdown for sure. I expect much of the same, a tight game for the most part, a couple of stretches of scoreless droughts that frustrate us as usual and fighting like heck at the end. At least Green is usually money at the line. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

If you have a recording of a previous game that you can view again, that should at least temper expectations of a win. I am going to remain hopeful myself but I am not setting myself up for a letdown for sure. I expect much of the same, a tight game for the most part, a couple of stretches of scoreless droughts that frustrate us as usual and fighting like heck at the end. At least Green is usually money at the line. 

Let's just hope we're ahead in the final stretch rather than behind. Green getting fouled and hitting free throws vs Green trying to take clutch shots are two totally different players.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, woodford said:

ESPN's Jay Bilas thinks Iowa will win:

https://hawkeyeswire.usatoday.com/lists/iowa-basketball-espn-jay-bilas-picks-hawkeyes-ncaa-tournament-auburn-tigers/

Iowa is one of the most unpredictable teams in this tournament, IMO. Ive seen them play a couple dreadful games against mediocre teams but apparently they can look like world beaters against some very good teams.

Game being in Bham, they're coming off a late season funk and Bruce being a good March coach should move us to Houston game.

5 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Iowa is one of the most unpredictable teams in this tournament, IMO. Ive seen them play a couple dreadful games against mediocre teams but apparently they can look like world beaters against some very good teams.

Game being in Bham, they're coming off a late season funk and Bruce being a good March coach should move us to Houston game.

History has suggested BP is more a feast or famine March coach. When he has a good team, or a hot team more aptly, his teams excel in march. When the opposite is true, they tend to fall flat rather than overproduce results. This team? I'd tend to lean toward the latter, as we've had a mostly disappointing season with sub-par guard play, we lost first game in the SEC tourney, and ended the entire last month losing way more than winning. I know everyone WANTS this to be some great reset, and maybe Iowa is having similar problems and we can still pull it out, but I find your last sentence to be a bit misleading in regards to this team. Like somehow we aren't ALSO in a late season funk. We very obviously are.

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Golden Eagle said:

I think you could have an individual who knows more about both teams than anyone else in the entire world and they wouldn't be able to pick this game with any significant accuracy.  It really all depends if "good" shooting Iowa shows up (call it >33% from 3).  If they do, the Tigers are in trouble.  If they don't, it could be an easy win for Auburn.  If Iowa shoots >50% from three, then it should be a Hawkeye blowout.  As I've mentioned above, this is not likely to happen as their away from home shooting has been pretty miserable (with the exception of the Indiana game).

Best of luck to you guys and safe travels for those who are going to the game.  I'm picking Auburn in my multiple pool brackets.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, HawkeyeOfTexas said:

I think you could have an individual who knows more about both teams than anyone else in the entire world and they wouldn't be able to pick this game with any significant accuracy.  It really all depends if "good" shooting Iowa shows up (call it >33% from 3).  If they do, the Tigers are in trouble.  If they don't, it could be an easy win for Auburn.  If Iowa shoots >50% from three, then it should be a Hawkeye blowout.  As I've mentioned above, this is not likely to happen as their away from home shooting has been pretty miserable (with the exception of the Indiana game).

Best of luck to you guys and safe travels for those who are going to the game.  I'm picking Auburn in my multiple pool brackets.

AU has a bunch of guys who are really streaky shooters. If Williams, Flanigan and Johnson are on target, AU wins (not just this game, but most). But there are plenty of games where two or all three of those guys are stone cold. Makes them tough to predict. 

Edited by Sani-Freeze
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeOfTexas said:

Thanks! Good insight from the other side, here. There's the Auburn side of this, too. Does turnover prone KD/Flan/WG turn up for this game, or is this one of the few games where all three decide to take care of the ball? Does WG decide he wants to facilitate (like the Missouri game) or be the hero and be the primary scorer? If he is our primary along with Broome, are we able to drive the lane consistently or can Iowa's average defense plug it up and force us to shoot? If you can make us shoot, statistics say we will most likely lose this game. I don't know enough about Iowa to know if they can execute on defense well enough to *make* us do anything.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

AU has a bunch of guys who are really streaky shooters. If Williams, Flanigan and Johnson are on target, AU wins (not just this game, but most). But there are plenty of games where two or all three of those guys are stone cold. Makes them tough to predict. 

We've not had a real go to guy all season.  I keep hoping Flan will rise to the occasion, but consistently have been disappointed.  Maybe it's KD.  Maybe he found the magic in the UArk loss and is going to put us on his back again.  Jaylin keeps disappearing in the big moments.   Every time I begin to believe, my hopes have gotten shattered.  I'll be there shouting my lungs out.  But, my expectations are pretty low.

Here's hoping the Hawkeyes bring their road team.  That has not been our luck all season.  I have no doubts we make them look like Final Four contenders.

Yo!

HoT!

You're welcome!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Thanks! Good insight from the other side, here. There's the Auburn side of this, too. Does turnover prone KD/Flan/WG turn up for this game, or is this one of the few games where all three decide to take care of the ball? Does WG decide he wants to facilitate (like the Missouri game) or be the hero and be the primary scorer? If he is our primary along with Broome, are we able to drive the lane consistently or can Iowa's average defense plug it up and force us to shoot? If you can make us shoot, statistics say we will most likely lose this game. I don't know enough about Iowa to know if they can execute on defense well enough to *make* us do anything.

Average defense is being very kind.

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, HawkeyeOfTexas said:

Average defense is being very kind.

Your avg defense can defend our avg shooting.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Your avg defense can defend our avg shooting.  

except when we were hot like most of the game at Bama.

45 minutes ago, ellitor said:

except when we were hot like most of the game at Bama.

How'd that turn out...

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 4:14 PM, cole256 said:

I don't like matching up with Iowa personally. We are going to miss the bigs we used to complain about. 

We pretty much win if we shoot well. If we don't shoot well that will lead to long rebounds, which leads to transition opportunities, which leads to easy shots, which leads to us having to play slow because we constantly have to inbound, which leads to us having to set up the offense, which leads to us taking tough shots, which leads to us missing shots.....which start this process all over into a loop. Only way to get out of that loop is your PG changes the pace of the game which I haven't seen in a few years so I don't expect it. 

We need to hit shots, drive to the goal, or set up shots for team mates!

Now I’m dizzy! 😆 

My wish list is no 3s from Broome, Jaylin be assertive, points front Zep, decent rebounding, 70% FT shooting, 12 or less turnovers and average 3 point shooting. Is that asking for too much

18 hours ago, bigbird said:

How'd that turn out...

The refs aren't going to screw us as bad as they did that night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The refs are going to screw us as bad as they did that night.

I said the same after witnessing them do it to us in College Station just a week or so before.  

Look, I hope they don't but they have a lot of the year.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I said the same after witnessing them do it to us in College Station just a week or so before.  

I'm hopeful since we won't have SEC officials in any of our tournament games. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Our style of play makes it easy for us to get the short end most games.  We rarely put pressure on the refs to have to make a call

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Our style of play makes it easy for us to get the short end most games.  We rarely put pressure on the refs to have to make a call

Right? Good lord, we're so passive