2024 5* WR Perry Thompson Flips To AUBURN from Bama

ellitor

He "commits" the week after...right?  Like August 5th or something?

On 7/2/2023 at 5:40 PM, W.E.D said:

He "commits" the week after...right?  Like August 5th or something?

@W.E.D Final decision is expected sometime in July.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Last night was a shock no doubt but none of the twists amd turns in recruiting are worth reacting over til we get the final results in December in most cases.

Is something happening with Thompson today?  

Bird dropped this countdown clock graphic and there is about an hour left to go until whatever happens, happens.  

Also meant to post this in the PT thread 🤦🏼‍♀️

IMG_4914.jpeg

Edited by AEAugirl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AEAugirl said:

Is something happening with Thompson today?  

Bird dropped this countdown clock graphic and there is about an hour left to go until whatever happens, happens.  

Also meant to post this in the PT thread 🤦🏼‍♀️

IMG_4914.jpeg

any updates here? for those of us not on SM. 

6 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

any updates here? for those of us not on SM. 

Think some site is just putting out an edit for him

• Like 1

Five-star Alabama commit to visit Auburn during Big Cat Weekend

Taylor Jones

Big Cat Weekend is usually a make-or-break for Auburn when it comes to several key targets. This year’s event will be headlined by several top prospects, including a five-star Alabama pledge.

Sunday, Alabama commit Perry Thompsonannounced that he will be attending this year’s event that is scheduled to take place on July 29. The news is significant because Thompson has chosen Big Cat Weekend over Alabama’s recruiting event that is set to take place over the same weekend.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Auburn extended an offer to Thompson in January and has worked around the clock to change his tune about Alabama. Since receiving an offer from Auburn, he has visited a total of five times. He says that he has built a bond with the coaching staff.

“Really the coaches building a bond with me and making me feel like family,” Thompson said about Auburn. “Everything on campus just feels like home, it feels good. Oh yeah, we built a strong bond. Every day I come up to campus we can just connect and there’s a strong relationship there.”

Thompson is the nation’s No. 4 receiver and the state of Alabama’s No. 2 overall prospect for the 2024 cycle.

2 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

According to Alabama media guys and Alabama fans, Perry will be in Tuscaloosa the wednesday before Big Cat Weekend and he will be the only visitor that day because Bama wants to give him 100% of their attention. 

That'll be interesting then.  If he makes it to BCW after a midweek visit there, it might be telling.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

That'll be interesting then.  If he makes it to BCW after a midweek visit there, it might be telling.

That's where Saban closes the deal. 

• Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to be booed or labeled a troll. Sadly, you probably nailed it CE bro'. Even if you're wrong it's just a matter of time.🥲

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

According to Alabama media guys and Alabama fans, Perry will be in Tuscaloosa the wednesday before Big Cat Weekend and he will be the only visitor that day because Bama wants to give him 100% of their attention. 

LOL, bama sending in the closer.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, autan said:

I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to be booed or labeled a troll. Sadly, you probably nailed it CE bro'. Even if you're wrong it's just a matter of time.🥲

i just feel like he's being too open about his interest in Auburn for it not to be him leveraging Auburn for more money. I do think we are the other team and he is taking Hugh's offer and courting seriously though. But I mean lets be real. If Bama can meet his needs, why would he not go there? 

5 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

i just feel like he's being too open about his interest in Auburn for it not to be him leveraging Auburn for more money. I do think we are the other team and he is taking Hugh's offer and courting seriously though. But I mean lets be real. If Bama can meet his needs, why would he not go there? 

I heard uat's contingent aren't really having to talk too much to recruit this guy.  They're pointing to the NFL rosters/salaries and to 'Auburn hasn't had a WR within 100 yrds of a 1,000 yrd season since 2013'.   

It's going to be a "business decision", I think both programs will match his $$ demand. 

4 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

I heard uat's contingent aren't really having to talk too much to recruit this guy.  They're pointing to the NFL rosters/salaries and to 'Auburn hasn't had a WR within 100 yrds of a 1,000 yrd season since 2013'.   

It's going to be a "business decision", I think both programs will match his $$ demand. 

Exactly, and if your in the business of making steady and careful business decisions, Alabama is a no brainer as depressing as that was to type. If I was a player with a legit chance to be a superstar in the NFL, going to Alabama is probably the best route to take. 

Maybe if Auburn and Freeze was to show some ability, the gap will close and the business decision will be tougher. 

Edited by AuCivilEng1

19 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Bama is tough to beat, but yeesh. 1) Saban is getting old, they are on the way down and everyone knows it.  Saban could retire tomorrow or in 5 years, but you can see the end is in sight.  2) Relationships still matter. With your coaches and teammates.  And we have the edge there. 3) Sure, it helps that Bama has some history putting receivers in the league. But deep down everyone knows that it's Saban's eye for talent putting them in the league, not the coaching they get once they get there. 4) You may not have an NFL level QB throwing to you for a while at Bama. That's a nice change.  War Eagle!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

That's where Saban closes the deal. 

Tries to close the deal*

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Bama is tough to beat, but yeesh. 1) Saban is getting old, they are on the way down and everyone knows it.  Saban could retire tomorrow or in 5 years, but you can see the end is in sight.  2) Relationships still matter. With your coaches and teammates.  And we have the edge there. 3) Sure, it helps that Bama has some history putting receivers in the league. But deep down everyone knows that it's Saban's eye for talent putting them in the league, not the coaching they get once they get there. 4) You may not have an NFL level QB throwing to you for a while at Bama. That's a nice change.  War Eagle!

This is a lot more positive of a take than I can muster up at this moment in time. We aren't sure what his relationships are like with Bama. It could be one of those situations where he is so cool with the coaches that there is a mutual understanding that he can play as long as he comes home at the end of the day. Basically they have an open marriage, and Auburn is a well endowed bull living on a street with no job.  😂

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Exactly, and if your in the business of making steady and careful business decisions, Alabama is a no brainer as depressing as that was to type. If I was a player with a legit chance to be a superstar in the NFL, going to Alabama is probably the best route to take. 

Always seems weird when people (not saying you) try to use "business decision" as if it's a bad thing.  These kids want to go somewhere and make it to the NFL in the 1st round.  It being anything other than a business decision is kinda silly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Maybe if Auburn and Freeze was to show some ability, the gap will close and the business decision will be tougher. 

THIS is going to happen; it won't be this season because Hugh is having to operate with one hand tied behind his back relative to the talent levels. 

But I have no doubt the Right Reverend will have an AU team that shows ability very soon and the gap that looks as wide as the Red Sea will narrow greatly over the next 2-3 yrs.  At which time Nick will get older, more decrepit and take to the rocking chair.  :jossun:

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Always seems weird when people (not saying you) try to use "business decision" as if it's a bad thing.  These kids want to go somewhere and make it to the NFL in the 1st round.  It being anything other than a business decision is kinda silly.

Completely agree. You'd be a lunatic not to take full advantage of your rare abilities, by putting yourself in the best situation to succeed. If Hugh can convince these kids that he's not a risk (and I tend to agree that his isn't) then good on him. If some players weren't risk takers, nobody other than 5 schools would land 5*'s. 

• Like 1

Just now, W.E.D said:

I think that notion comes from the older generation honestly.  The one's that want players that love Auburn and are "Auburn Men", etc.  They place high importance on the O&B uniform and they want athletes that love Auburn.

College sports changed many years ago, and cash money rules the day.  Personally, I blame Saban when he pulled the outrageous salary at uat over 15 yrs ago, and when he literally put recruiting on the collision course it's on now.  He professionalized football in the SEC and re-wrote the history books causing other programs to have unrealistic expectations for their programs. 

Now SEC HC's and coordinators are some of the highest paid in the country and if a coach can't consistently win enough games and put a competitive product on the field then he's toast.  NS showed the nation's top HS talent what they can achieve and not that's what they set their eyes on, the pro's and big payday's.  Of course, they don't all pan out and make it to the next level, but there are a handful of programs in that country provide a solid foundation and a path to get to the pro's.  

• Thanks 1

why would he not go there? 

@AuCivilEng1 On paper we likely have the better QB1, immediate PT if he is the real deal, and more experienced offensive minded coaches for passing the ball.

• Like 1

f your in the business of making steady and careful business decisions, Alabama is a no brainer as depressing as that was to type. If I was a player with a legit chance to be a superstar in the NFL, going to Alabama is probably the best route to take. 

Not for a WR right now until the Bama QBs can prove themselves as passers.

I hope we have some backup plans ready to go. I will be very surprised he will be here if he plans on going to Bama earlier in the week as the only visitor.

• Like 3