AU is NOT running Phil Montgomery’s normal offense.

GwillMac6

IMG_5328.png

IMG_5329.png

• Like 6
  • Facepalm 1

Let’s just not return to the Malzanian-speak of “35% of playbook now installed…only using 3.8 % of playbook for Akron…”

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

It's entirely possible that the reason AU is not running a Freeze/Montgomery offense is that the personnel aren't there to be successful at it.

Such as?  The QB has thrown for over 6K yards in his career.  The WRs aren't great but they are as good as the average WR across the league - maybe?  The OL was much improved by the transfer portal - were the additions over sold?  TEs look strong - possibly top tier in the conference?  Are our WRs and OL worse than what Thorne was playing with at Mich St?  I don't know.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The problem is not QBs.  The problem is coaching.

Either QB can win 8 games but,,, you cannot limit them with poor schemes, poor play calling, showing a lack of confidence.  It would also help if our blocking improved.

Playing "conservatively" (with fear and, no confidence) produced 5 turnovers.  I doubt it could be worse by opening up the playbook.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

It's entirely possible that the reason AU is not running a Freeze/Montgomery offense is that the personnel aren't there to be successful at it.

Yep - even if you take away the potential dearth of top end talent at a few important positions on offense, it’s clear that there’s not a high level of comfort between the QBs, WRs, and offensive play callers. 

now who’s fault it is that the lack of comfort exists…that is a separate conversation  

35 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Either QB can win 8 games but,,, you cannot limit them with poor schemes, poor play calling, showing a lack of confidence.  It would also help if our blocking improved.

Playing "conservatively" (with fear and, no confidence) produced 5 turnovers.  I doubt it could be worse by opening up the playbook.

Here is my take on the QB's:

We don't know if we can win 8 games or not with PT. He has experience at this level but the first two games makes one wonder if he can win 8.

With RA, we have seem him play over the past year and nothing from the first two games of this year changes the thinking about him. It is highly unlikely we win 8 games with him. In fact I would project a losing record with him at QB.

With HG, we have not really seen him play any amount of time. He could be the most talented but who knows. Highly unlikely we win 8 games with him,  or winning season.

While the coaching may have been lacking so far, talent at the QB position is one of the problems and maybe the biggest problem.

Just my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I also don’t think it’s that damning that it looks conflicted after one road game with everything that went into that game. It took Gus a few games to get going with 2013 Auburn, and that was a roster of guys primarily recruited for his system back in 2011. Plus, at that point in time, with the rules we had then, I think he was a somewhat better schemer than the guys we have right now. That wasn’t stated as a point of comparison,  but rather that it’s hard to just flip the switch by day 2 and get this going 

I believe it is too vanilla on offense for multiple reasons.

1. Lack of trust- the QB’s look timid and lack confidence. The WR’s are still not great route runners nor are they in position over 50% of the time (as far as I can tell). The OLine is an enigma, we really don’t know what we have there ( Cal was a small test and wasn’t great!) the A&M will be a enormous tell all! 

2. The coaches are showing as little as possible to our SEC opponents. I believe that we are trying to establish the run blocking part of our offense so we’ll be able to work on out weaknesses and improve by the time the conference schedule comes.

3. And IMO the least likely. The talent isn’t there. Maybe Thorne is too timid, Ashford is a good-great running QB but cannot read the RPO correctly or pass accurately. HG is just not ready or good enough to beat out either of the before mentioned QB’s. Maybe the OLine is vastly overrated and they are what we’ve seen over the last two games?

I don’t really have a gloom and doom feeling about this season because I set my expectations low, like 5-6 wins low, I just want to see us gradually getting better week by week, being competitive in every game and not get blown off the field by GA, UAT, LSWhoo or A&M. War Eagle and IGTBAAT!!

Edited by tbone4jc
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

Gus 2.0

I'm not a fan of the "we don't have the personnel to run the offense" excuse.

It's the coach's job to get the right people and with the portal and NIL, I don't feel this excuse can fly in the current landscape.

The game plan against Cal didn't look good, but we also had no execution from the players. 

I want to see our level of preparation and execution against A&M before making any judgement.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KillenTime said:

Such as?  The QB has thrown for over 6K yards in his career.  The WRs aren't great but they are as good as the average WR across the league - maybe?  The OL was much improved by the transfer portal - were the additions over sold?  TEs look strong - possibly top tier in the conference?  Are our WRs and OL worse than what Thorne was playing with at Mich St?  I don't know.  

Are you Bryan Harsin?

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

With RA, we have seem him play over the past year and nothing from the first two games of this year changes the thinking about him. It is highly unlikely we win 8 games with him. In fact I would project a losing record with him at QB.

I have no idea where this comes from.  In the Cal game he threw three passes.  Yes, one was ill advised but,,, it was on target and, the DB made a good play on the ball.

With no coaching, little experience and absolutely no blocking last year, Robbie managed to help us win some games.  He deserves much more support from the fans than what he is getting.

JMO.