Holden Geriner has to be the QB going forward

miscram6

I just don't see how Payton Thorne can be the QB anymore.  There were too many times on Saturday where he looked terrified.  In hindsight, it seems clear to me that there is a reason why he wasn't going to be the starter at Michigan State and decided to transfer.  I like Robbie, but we need him at wide receiver and to let him run jet sweeps.  If we want to let him continue to take snaps on select plays, then fine.  Holden has to be the guy going forward, though.  We need to start Holden on Saturday and pray that our O-Line can block for him. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 2

12 minutes ago, miscram6 said:

I just don't see how Payton Thorne can be the QB anymore.  There were too many times on Saturday where he looked terrified.  In hindsight, it seems clear to me that there is a reason why he wasn't going to be the starter at Michigan State and decided to transfer.  I like Robbie, but we need him at wide receiver and to let him run jet sweeps.  If we want to let him continue to take snaps on select plays, then fine.  Holden has to be the guy going forward, though.  We need to start Holden on Saturday and pray that our O-Line can block for him. 

When you say terrified, are you talking about this? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I’m sure Holden will get some more chances to prove himself in the coming weeks.  The on3 guys made a good point about how few live snaps Payton has gotten in the 2 power 5 games Auburn has played.  He needs to be left in and repped until something works or replaced.  He threw for 6k yards at MSU so he can’t be this bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

IF (and this is a big if) Holden’s the starter going forward, PM and HF must make more of an effort to settle him into games through scheme than they’ve shown with PT. I would say that’s been one of PT’s biggest issues is that the playcalling has not helped him out very much. There has been a conspicuous absence of 1st down throws, screens, rollouts, etc. in the early part of games, plays that would allow whoever is playing QB to settle into the game. No matter who the starter is, the offensive structure needs to change to help them out.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Hey Holden, I know you've never started a game....but guess what now's your chance.  i know I know I know.  UGA.  They've had by far the best defense in the country the last two years and have been pretty relentless on QBs.   Don't worry, we know you're not very mobile, but have my word.  I'll complain about talent gap and how good their defense is all week leading up to the game so when you go 9 for 27 and 6 picks people will not be too mad with you.

-Hugh

Literally sounds like something he would say given his comments thus far... 🤣

• Haha 1

Patience. We knew (or should have known) this is Hugh's launch season and half the two-deep are brand spanking new to Auburn. He'll have a certain amount of patience but when it's bowl or no bowl time (i.e. Oct 22, going into Miss St) ole Hugh will IMHO insert Geriner more or less as the man (subject to injury). 

Bad qb play is a symptom. What’s the main cause?  

1 hour ago, Viper said:

* Paging Walker White *

Walker White please report to the Auburn locker room.

We don't want a guy starting that has a sub 50% comp% in a private HS league in Arkansas 

12 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

We don't want a guy starting that has a sub 50% comp% in a private HS league in Arkansas 

Haha buddy, Walker White won’t see the field until 2025 at the earliest. It’ll be alright. 

1 minute ago, woodford said:

Haha buddy, Walker White won’t see the field until 2025 at the earliest. It’ll be alright. 

Yes, I agree.  Did you read the response I was replying to?  You seem confused

57 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

I dont think we have an answer for qb that's on the roster.

While I think Thorne has been awful, I disagree. Thorne has thrown for more yards than most AU QB's that I can remember. So we know he can be decent when he's confident. 

Maybe we need to shelve Robby for a bit and go all in on Thorne with a focus on getting him comfortable and confident. A&M got their QB comfortable right away with short scripted throws outside the pocket, but we didn't have a different plan when A&M sold out against the RPO, which is what seems to get Thorne comfortable. 

That or go 100% Robbie and try to go that direction. 

Either way, I wish they'd pick a direction and stick with it for more than a couple of games. 

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

While I think Thorne has been awful, I disagree. Thorne has thrown for more yards than most AU QB's that I can remember. So we know he can be decent when he's confident. 

Maybe we need to shelve Robby for a bit and go all in on Thorne with a focus on getting him comfortable and confident. A&M got their QB comfortable right away with short scripted throws outside the pocket, but we didn't have a different plan when A&M sold out against the RPO, which is what seems to get Thorne comfortable. 

Either way, I wish they'd pick a direction and stick with it for more than a couple of games. 

I have a sneaky suspicion we gonna see the same thing Saturday.  The ol QB shuffle

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

Maybe you're right. Maybe Thorne needs a good supporting cast to be that level of qb and when he doesn't have a good run game and solid Oline he collapses and buckles under the pressure. Maybe he has the yips. Maybe our Offensive system is disjointed cause Monty and Freeze arent on the same page. Maybe it's all of the above.

I'm not going to pretend to understand what happened to Thorne. I'll just say that our current stable of QBs isn't going to cut it. More often than not, Thorne isn't going to have some magic turnaround halfway through the season. You might see incremental improvements with time and consistency. And that's not going to save this season for us.

Edited by KansasTiger
  • Like 1

I know PT is going to get the start Saturday but he has to show some mental toughness. At least the other two do that. He balled up a few times before the rush even got there. He could have just thrown it away. Then there are the pumps fakes when u see on the replay guys open all over the place. Then u have the obvious blitz from TAMU and there is no change at the line. The oline isn’t great but have been serviceable. The glaring issues to me have been turnovers , penalties and missed opportunities.