Bo Nix Drafted By Denver in First Round!

AU-24

4 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

I'm happy for Bo.  What a great kid.  And loved the fact that alot of his film they showed was in an AU uniform.

All that said though:

Bo struggled against SEC caliber defenses and yes much of that was bc he played behind a piss poor Oline, but he also missed a whole bunch of wide open receivers for TD's that I remember watching.

He went from a league with the very best defenses week in and week out, to a league that basically plays NO DEFENSE.   

So to sum it up:  I hope Bo balls out in the NFL, but he's going to have to prove it to me against NFL defenses.

This perspective feels like it is coming from someone who didn’t actually watch him play at Oregon at all. A switch flipped on him at Oregon. Were the defenses not as good? Sure. But he also was throwing the ball much more consistently. He was hitting receivers in tight windows. He was making better reads and not forcing passes like he did at times at Auburn. He finally got competent coaching, and it made a difference. The guy that couldn’t show any consistency throwing the football finished his last season with the best completion percentage in college football history. Think about that.

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 7

Belichick said Nix was best pocket passer of all QB's in the draft. He was the coach who saw how good Brady was.

• Like 1

Good for him.  A shame that his talent was wasted at the school he loved.  Hopefully those days are gone.

• Like 2

I've read a lot of informed opinions on this selection.  As many pan it as like it. 

Personally, I think Mac Jones was a better NFL prospect than Bo Nix.  I thought Jones was bound to be a reliable NFL starter, but it hasn't happened - yet.

I appreciate Nix coming to Auburn, but I don't think he will be a reliable NFL starter.  I think Denver made a mistake, like they did by overpaying Russel Wilson.  But they are QB poor and took a shot.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Man it's all about perspectives huh? I'm not going to rain on the parade. I wish all players received this type of grace though.... Some players are more privileged than others

Edited by cole256
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Facepalm 1

Wish I could fist fight Harsin. Dude ruined SO many things, including Nix for us. Just awful.

Edited by TAYLORKEETON

6 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

I'm happy for Bo.  What a great kid.  And loved the fact that alot of his film they showed was in an AU uniform.

All that said though:

Bo struggled against SEC caliber defenses and yes much of that was bc he played behind a piss poor Oline, but he also missed a whole bunch of wide open receivers for TD's that I remember watching.

He went from a league with the very best defenses week in and week out, to a league that basically plays NO DEFENSE.   

So to sum it up:  I hope Bo balls out in the NFL, but he's going to have to prove it to me against NFL defenses.

I’d trust the opinion of professionals whose livelihood is dependent on being experts in this particular field over fan site message boards but that’s just me. 

41 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Man it's all about perspectives huh? I'm not going to rain on the parade. I wish all players received this type of grace though.... Some players are more privileged than others

That's all I will say

It's weird, right?

Every time Nix comes up there are a ton of "everybody hated this guy, but look at this!" type comments.

But going back to a lot of those threads, there wasn't a lot of hate. Unless you count comments like;

"He throws off his back foot a bit too much" or

""Sometimes I think he's too quick to run out of the pocket" or

"I wish he was more accurate on some of the passes over the middle"

It's weird to see things like that spun as 'constant hatred' 🤷‍♂️

12 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I’d trust the opinion of professionals whose livelihood is dependent on being experts in this particular field over fan site message boards but that’s just me. 

I think they are going off of stats, his ORE vs UGA game was.... not stellar :lol: 

But, no ones was that year.

Heres an extra tidbit too that I found odd.

Caleb Williams Heisman year where he easily won:

image.png

Bo Nix stats the very next year.. good for 3rd place in Heisman race:

image.png

I didn't catch any combine this year, but have to imagine Bo did awesome, cause people were not giving him the respect for his on field product that the numbers suggest they should have.

• Like 2

Coaches and the systems they create for their team matter. They matter a lot. 

Good for Bo! Hope he does well in a very competitive league. 

I hope AU admin and current staff look at this and see how they can improve and get our players in to the first round of the draft. 

1 hour ago, WillMunny said:

I've read a lot of informed opinions on this selection.  As many pan it as like it. 

Personally, I think Mac Jones was a better NFL prospect than Bo Nix.  I thought Jones was bound to be a reliable NFL starter, but it hasn't happened - yet.

I appreciate Nix coming to Auburn, but I don't think he will be a reliable NFL starter.  I think Denver made a mistake, like they did by overpaying Russel Wilson.  But they are QB poor and took a shot.

Just my opinion.

Mac doesn't have the mental advantage. Mac was born on 3rd and a half and his one year as a starter was in the worst SEC since 2015ish (or 16, pick either one). With no real crowds. Pats were a poorly ran organization offensively, but Mac didn't have the mental fortitude. I think Nix is closer to the desired balance between an a**hole and a guy who motivates his guys with his fierceness than he may have been as a freshman. Oregon's guys and their HC (who's of a similar mental mindstate) didn't seem to have a problem with it. He's obviously seen all the highs and lows. 

Mac's best case scenario would've been a consistent starter on loser teams/franchises IMO. I don't think he could've even been Purdy/Jimmy G bc that takes some level of comfort with the critiques as a game manager and him needing to at least be close to a neutral when times are bad. Nix may have less arm talent, but I'd definitely trust him to be a mid-floor type of guy in this system. 

• Like 1

Some posters here act like Nix was a flop at AU. In 2&1/2 seasons he set AU's all-time total offense record. A record that Stan White set as a four-year starter. Nix holds the AU record for consecutive passes without an interception. When he set that record, the mark he broke was his own. Yes, Nix holds the top TWO records in AU history for consecutive passes without an interception. Have many forgotten all of the key 1st downs and TD's he made running the ball? He was better at Oregon because of better coaching and a better supporting cast but he was very, very good at AU.

As someone who watched several of his games at Oregon, I'm not at all surprised that Bo Nix went very high in the draft.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Mims44 said:

It's weird, right?

Every time Nix comes up there are a ton of "everybody hated this guy, but look at this!" type comments.

But going back to a lot of those threads, there wasn't a lot of hate. Unless you count comments like;

I think they are going off of stats, his ORE vs UGA game was.... not stellar :lol: 

image.png

image.png

I didn't catch any combine this year, but have to imagine Bo did awesome, cause people were not giving him the respect for his on field product that the numbers suggest they should have.

I believe he started out pretty slow at Senior bowl, but did better as week went on.

52 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Some posters here act like Nix was a flop at AU. In 2&1/2 seasons he set AU's all-time total offense record. A record that Stan White set as a four-year starter. Nix holds the AU record for consecutive passes without an interception. When he set that record, the mark he broke was his own. Yes, Nix holds the top TWO records in AU history for consecutive passes without an interception. Have many forgotten all of the key 1st downs and TD's he made running the ball? He was better at Oregon because of better coaching and a better supporting cast but he was very, very good at AU.

As someone who watched several of his games at Oregon, I'm not at all surprised that Bo Nix went very high in the draft.

To be fair, he didn't come close to Stan's passing records.

Also hard to throw an INT when you basically only throw Wr screens. His passing chart was pretty mundane at AU

• Like 1

• ellitor changed the title to Bo Nix Drafted By Denver in First Round!
1 hour ago, Mims44 said:

It's weird, right?

image.png

image.png

Right. So so hated. It's so ironic he will be with stidham.... Even stid couldn't get thru here unscathed..... Any other guy or coach leaves here they are scum. 

Other QB leave the official site celebrated the kid having a bad game as if he ever did anything other than give his best at Auburn. Bo leaves it's all poor him and he had to play for Harsin.... Congrats as if he still played at Auburn. When have you ever seen that for another player that transferred? This thread wouldn't even be allowed on this board it would be on the rivals section if it was anybody else. If I didn't know better I would say he was a Manning, that's about the only guy I've seen be more privileged in the game of football.

Entire career it has always been somebody else fault for anything bad and all the praise and glory for anything good.

We will all get to see now though, no more excuses right. Good coach, every opportunity in the world, offensive minded coach. The coach even throws a bunch of wr screens and passes to the HB.....I mean it's perfect. 

Edited by cole256

They just picked him because of who his daddy is….. Gatewood is better. And that’s not a shot at Gatewood. 

1 hour ago, Mims44 said:

It's weird, right?

Seth Williams kept dropping the football because "Nix throws too hard".

1 hour ago, Mims44 said:

It's weird, right?

This is exactly right. The fact is he didn't play very well at Auburn and if you pointed that out there was a large group that just couldn't take it. 

Seth Williams bailed out Bo over and over again and was treated much worse by this forum.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

. Bo should have been drafted as a tiger 

He wouldn’t have gotten drafted Thursday or Friday night if he stayed at Auburn.  Hell he may have not even been drafted at all. The smartest thing I’ve seen an Auburn player do in 15 is Bo telling us to kick rocks. Good for him. 

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is there no draft thread on the forum? I would like to talk about some NFL stuff on here 

3 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Wish I could fist fight Harsin. Dude ruined SO many things, including Nix for us. Just awful.

I would rather put the figure 4 leg lock on the idiot who said yea, lets hire him. But I feel ya. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Right. So so hated. It's so ironic he will be with stidham.... Even stid couldn't get thru here unscathed..... Any other guy or coach leaves here they are scum. 

Other QB leave the official site celebrated the kid having a bad game as if he ever did anything other than give his best at Auburn. Bo leaves it's all poor him and he had to play for Harsin.... Congrats as if he still played at Auburn. When have you ever seen that for another player that transferred? This thread wouldn't even be allowed on this board it would be on the rivals section if it was anybody else. If I didn't know better I would say he was a Manning, that's about the only guy I've seen be more privileged in the game of football.

Entire career it has always been somebody else fault for anything bad and all the praise and glory for anything good.

We will all get to see now though, no more excuses right. Good coach, every opportunity in the world, offensive minded coach. The coach even throws a bunch of wr screens and passes to the HB.....I mean it's perfect. 

lmao, bro I was gonna post that. But knew I'd be beating a dead horse.

Thread gets made for D. Brown getting drafted and one of the first replies is; "Drafted huh, so not an Auburn Tiger anymore. Move this thread."

But if an Oregon QB gets drafted it's ok, :lol: 

And for the record, I'm not against this thread being in the AU forum, I like it. I think during off season/NFL draft time we should let these threads go for ALL Auburn players.... and not just the fan favorites/transfers.

29 minutes ago, cbo said:

This is exactly right. The fact is he didn't play very well at Auburn and if you pointed that out there was a large group that just couldn't take it. 

Seth Williams bailed out Bo over and over again and was treated much worse by this forum.

Depending on the year he was average to above average... when he was hyped by so many to be Cam level of superstar. That's not his fault, but it is reality.

To be fair, I don't remember a lot of Seth hate either, he was our best WR for awhile for sure.