2012 5* QB Jameis Winston (FSU signee)

RunInRed

Just a hypothetical question, do you think it would be smarter to take a lower ranked QB in this class just to have 4 on scholly, or wait until next year and maybe take two high caliber guys?

Wow...good question. I would think you go after the best QB you can get to a certain extent. But I don't think you necessarily "waste" a scholly on a low-tier guy just for numbers' sake.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that Winston reaffirmed his commitment with FSU, but you have to think given the track record of CSL and the list of QB's he has mentored and coached that he has to be thinking about it right?  Would not hurt, if AU thinks that still have a glimmer of hope for Winston that CSL would not make a last visit to see if there is a chance.  What say you?

Can our new OC make a difference here?

No.

That's not what ST has been saying...according to him (and he has better sources than anyone else on this board except the players and players' parents who are members), Winston is still very much in the picture. :dunno:

That was as of 2 weeks ago Red. I could be wrong but I doubt that is the case now. He can't visit next weekend because he will be practicing for the USA v. World all star game. The only chance of Jaboo visiting would be a midweek visit this week.

Actually, ST posted that 2 days ago in the "Countdown" stickied thread.  It would be interesting to hear if he still feels the same way.

ST what do you make of the recent report that we are out of the Winston running? Do you still feel confident that we can get back in with a good OC hire?

Auburn is not out of it for Winston. When Auburn hires an OC, they will visit Winston. If he likes the hire, he will visit. Then we will see what happens from there.

That's not saying we are in it either. Personally I would rather Scott lLoeffler ook into Cyler Miles. He is committed to Washington but he and his dad are not happy with the new OC since the old one went to Bammer. Miles was the MVP of the Army All American Bowl.

Miles was a stud in that game and the commentators said he was the most NCAA ready QB in the country.

If we have even a sliver of a chance for him the coaches need to camp out on his lawn.

Why do we need him anyway? Other than the need for another QB since Trotter's gone, we've got Mosley, FRAZIER, Pike, and possibly could promote a walk-on QB if needed.

I'd rather not consider promoting a walkon to be a real option, not if we can get a high caliber recruit instead.

Just a hypothetical question, do you think it would be smarter to take a lower ranked QB in this class just to have 4 on scholly, or wait until next year and maybe take two high caliber guys?

Just my opinion, but if we can get a guy that the coaches think could realistically compete with Zeke in a couple of years (whenever Kiehl moves on, whether it's after his junior or senior season), then take him. Otherwise I wouldn't.

Haven't we mentioned somewhere on the boards that the reason that we backed off Jaboo was that the coaches had told Zeke that he was the only QB we would take? Seems pretty simple to me, our coaches do their best to keep the promises they make in the recruiting process...

I wouldn't waste my time if I was on staff. Too many other positions of need, like OL and WR. Fraizer will carry us and if he doesn't Pike should be on his heals.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/01/hueytowns_jameis_jaboo_winston.html

Winston also said definitively that Auburn has no shot.

"Auburn is no longer in the running," Winston said. "Auburn does not even recruit me anymore. ... If Auburn would have recruited me the way that Alabama has, they would be in my final group."

"Auburn is no longer in the running," Winston said. "Auburn does not even recruit me anymore. ... If Auburn would have recruited me the way that Alabama has, they would be in my final group."

Well that pretty well ends that, it would seem.

Why do we need him anyway? Other than the need for another QB since Trotter's gone, we've got Mosley, FRAZIER, Pike, and possibly could promote a walk-on QB if needed.

The coaches prefer to have 4 Scholly QBs on roster.

That's good info.  I thought that might be the case, just for practice and drills if nothing else. 

JW seemed a little upset that Auburn didn't recruit him harder.

Personally, I'm glad the kid just right on out and made the statement. 

Good luck to you JWinston- wherever you land.

I hope he goes to FSU but I think he will go to uat.

Doubt it. Cyler Miles' dad is pushing real hard to get an OV with Bama so Miles can get back with his lead recruiter and position coach in Nussmeir

This is another "black helicopter" for me. If I remember right, the reason we couldn't recruit Winston for a while was that his HS coach brought him out to a Tiger Prowl event and onto the bus to talk to the coaches. His HS coach should KNOW that's a violation. Also, how did we get dinged 45 days for that, meanwhile saban is running around accidently "bumping into kids" all over the country, and I never seem to hear about him being off the road for 45 days, or uat being restricted from recruiting a kid for 45 days?

This is another "black helicopter" for me. If I remember right, the reason we couldn't recruit Winston for a while was that his HS coach brought him out to a Tiger Prowl event and onto the bus to talk to the coaches. His HS coach should KNOW that's a violation. Also, how did we get dinged 45 days for that, meanwhile saban is running around accidently "bumping into kids" all over the country, and I never seem to hear about him being off the road for 45 days, or uat being restricted from recruiting a kid for 45 days?

There's a difference between a program that submits its infractions to the NCAA and the other which says, Submit it yourself......if you can keep up.

I'd rather not consider promoting a walkon to be a real option, not if we can get a high caliber recruit instead.

We have some great athletes on the team now that played QB in HS that could certainly work in a pinch. We have a very good group of QB's right now, imo, just not proven. I would say wait.

Everyone has sources, but my understanding is that we could make an offer to another QB. Good ball player that our former OC liked, but we did not have the room at the time. With Trotter not returning, we could make the offer.

Everyone has sources, but my understanding is that we could make an offer to another QB. Good ball player that our former OC liked, but we did not have the room at the time. With Trotter not returning, we could make the offer.

Who are you referring to?

We have some great athletes on the team now that played QB in HS that could certainly work in a pinch. We have a very good group of QB's right now, imo, just not proven. I would say wait.

Yep Uzomah played QB at the hs level. That dude is big, physical, and can run.. Not sure what his throwing abilities are like but heck I am sure our new OC can work with him.

shorty badger don't care. shorty badger does what he wants.

Yep Uzomah played QB at the hs level. That dude is big, physical, and can run.. Not sure what his throwing abilities are like but heck I am sure our new OC can work with him.

In my opinion Uzomah is not a college QB.  He is a talented athlete and is best suited catching the ball versus throwing it.  I watched him play many games in HS and also know folks that are very close to the NG program and he was by far a better WR/athlete than QB.  He can be valuable for us on O, just not at QB.

wde

Archived