Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The next step is giving up play calling and going full CEO program builder head coach. He is really really damn good at that. He is a actual good head coach and not one of these glorified OC's.

I'm tempted to argue with you about giving up play calling, since he's so damned good at it. And he's elite at recruiting and developing both QBs and WRs. But he's also got so much experience learning under Swinney and Saban, and he almost *has* to be more of a big picture guy than Gus by default. So it seems reasonable to believe that he could find a guy who buys into his philosophy and let that dude do the job. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nap strikes me as a guy who doesn't dance and celebrate like an idiot after a bad-win. No more "an SEC win is a win."

Doesn't seem like a guy who after an ugly loss would tell you how great a bad opponent is. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Napier is one of the few picks that can get majority of the fanbase on board. Do NOT screw this up leaders.

Yeah I feel like Cristobal and Napier were two names that most seemed ok with and were pretty good resume wise and the culture change we need here. 

I'm really happy that a name has started surging and its one that a lot people are excited about. The more I look into him the more I really want this to come to fruition!

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Napier is one of the few picks that can get majority of the fanbase on board. Do NOT screw this up leaders.

Man, great point. It's weird seeing so much of the board with some variation on pretty much the same reaction. Even Cristobal seemed to move the meter more in *both* directions.

Maybe this really is the guy just for that reason alone, lol.

image.gifHell Yeah! #stopsteele #neversteele

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Nap strikes me as a guy who doesn't dance and celebrate like an idiot after a bad-win. No more "an SEC win is a win."

Doesn't seem like a guy who after an ugly loss would tell you how great a bad opponent is. 

Hopefully the days of parroting "We had a good week of practice" are over.

Just now, tbone1430 said:

Yeah I feel like Cristobal and Napier were two names that most seemed ok with and were pretty good resume wise and the culture change we need here. 

Honestly it is the obvious choice, without much to any baggage. You shouldn't have to break the bank to get him here, proven he can build and develop, great resume previous to ULL. The only thing I would hope is NAPIER make it a big emphasis to let him do what he does without the influence and yes men around (including Bo Jackson).

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

It's amazing we had to go through all of this BS just to get back to one of the most logical choices on the board from the start.

Sound, fury and stupid. 

Sounds like he’s got a good head on his shoulders and understands what it takes. Hope we don’t screw things up...

His current OL coach used to be at UGA and RB coach was at LSU for what it's worth.

Needs a passing coordinator like a Joe Brady type.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

His current OL coach used to be at UGA and RB coach was at LSU for what it's worth.

Needs a passing coordinator like a Joe Brady type.

Ehh not bad. I just want some straight “f***** savages” on the recruiting trail to quote Aaron Boone haha 😂 

1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

But no doubt - that is his defense they are running.

I'm not so sure about that. The Bama defense has definitely changed with the times. It used to be all 3-4, now they're in a Nickle or Dime on first down. At most, I'd say it's Saban's Nickle and Dime defense, but I would venture to bet he's not getting into the weeds on game planning and play calling like Gus did.

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Here was his UL introduction speech:

My lord I keep falling more and more for this pick. Great speaker.

God please let this man come to Auburn, let him be free of would be puppeteers, and may he find success and honor on the plains.

Any coach can be a bust but man I want this guy to be a winner. Not just for Auburn but he seems like a legitimately good dude. His family is like a politicians lol they're adorable. Hope we get to watch them grow up.

13 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

It's amazing we had to go through all of this BS just to get back to one of the most logical choices on the board from the start.

The only thing I could add is I suppose the PTB were reading this board and got wrapped around the axle trying to figure out what "the fans" wanted. Just to be honest this is one disfunction AUFAMILY and we couldn't pull in the same direction if the map was a straight line between point A and point B....lol

Archived