Former AU WR Nate Craig-Myers Transfers to Colorado St.

CameronCrazy

Wow our WR class can be beastly. Now if we had a QB that can get them the ball in games we'd be rolling

I think we have 3 on roster now. How many drops did WR have with SW? JJ had some issues but has the canon to get it to them (and maybe a few defenders along the way). And assuming surgery doesn't cripple him, Queen will be a good one as well. We have QBs people get over it!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have QBs people get over it!

If you think that we definitely have enough talent at QB currently on the roster, then you are possibly the most optimistic Auburn fan I've ever encountered.

If you think that we definitely have enough talent at QB currently on the roster, then you are possibly the most optimistic Auburn fan I've ever encountered.

I know, right? Dang sunshine pumpers!

More folks should be REALISTS, like us.

;)

Seriously, though, I agree with you, McLoofus. We need a serious influx of WR talent. If we add NCM to the commits we have now, it would be a great class -- maybe our best ever at WR. If we add NCM and another one or two of the remaining targets, that would be a definite best ever WR recruiting haul.

Wow, Loof... surprised to see that from you. You're usually an optimist.

We're 1 fixed shoulder, 1 fixed leg, and 1 fixed head away from having 3 competent QBs. The only question is, if all 3 things can/will get fixed.

We're 1 fixed shoulder, 1 fixed leg, and 1 fixed head away from having 3 competent QBs. The only question is, if all 3 things can/will get fixed.

White has shown that he can be competent. He hasn't shown that he can put a team on his back and win a game. I was his biggest fan coming into the season- endured a lot of laughs when I suggested in the spring that he could win the job outright- but can anybody honestly say we're safe hanging our hat on him to take us to the promised land?

It's a huuuuuuuuge maybe on whether or not Queen's qualified to be an SEC quarterback. Ditto for Barrett and JF3.

JJ getting his head fixed... yeah, crazier things have happened, but not many. We are rocketing down the scale of probability here.

I was responding to the notion that we are set at quarterback. We might be, but that's going to require things to be quite a bit better next fall than they are right now. I just don't see how anybody can assume that they will be.

White has shown that he can be competent. He hasn't shown that he can put a team on his back and win a game. I was his biggest fan coming into the season- endured a lot of laughs when I suggested in the spring that he could win the job outright- but can anybody honestly say we're safe hanging our hat on him to take us to the promised land?

It's a huuuuuuuuge maybe on whether or not Queen's qualified to be an SEC quarterback. Ditto for Barrett and JF3.

JJ getting his head fixed... yeah, crazier things have happened, but not many. We are rocketing down the scale of probability here.

I was responding to the notion that we are set at quarterback. We might be, but that's going to require things to be quite a bit better next fall than they are right now. I just don't see how anybody can assume that they will be.

LOL at myself. I read 'WR' for 'QB' somehow in my response, above.

:bigblush:

I don't think I am all that optimistic, but maybe more than some. Definitely not a sunshine pumper. With that being said, I believe that the talent we have is better than average. Now as lionheart said, there are mental and physical issues to overcome, but assuming the physical ailments are remedied then there is plenty of talent there. As for mental health, well I never said JJ would be the starter again just that he had the arm to get it to them (and maybe a few defenders as well).

I do agree that we do not have any proven talent that has proven it can shoulder a team and carry it to win a game.

And you're right, LKC, I'm normally an optimist. But not when it comes to quarterbacks. The real, true success rate at that position is very low. There were 5 good quarterbacks in the entire SEC last season: Allen (SR), Prescott (SR), Coker (SR), Grier (suspended for PEDs, transferring out of UF) and Kelly (JR, Hall of Famer's nephew).

We might have guys on our roster who will turn into something the caliber of the guys above- my money's on Barrett- but we definitely can't count on it happening next year.

If Sean can getting healthy has him playing like he did against Kentucky, Arkansas, and Ole Miss... yes I firmly believe we can "hang our hat" on him taking us where we want to be.

Queen was pretty highly regarded a 4-star QB coming out of high school. The odds of him not being a SEC caliber QB aren't any greater than any other QB coming out of high school. Same with Barrett. I'd venture to say that both are likely to be easily as good as the QBs from across the state that played in the play-offs the last 2 years.

It's really hard to say with Jeremy. All it takes is for something to click and he should be back to playing form. From what I've heard from people who followed him in high school, this isn't his first case mental block, and he got past it before. Still, you're right, he may not be able to kick it this time.

I think people are so locked into the fact that we had 2 busts at QB in the past 5 years (though I argue that Frazier was less of a bust than his O-Line was) that they think it's the norm and not the exception. With our strength at running back, I don't think we need a great QB, just a good one who can keep the D honest enough for Jovon, Roc, Peyton, and Kerryon to do their thing. I think with a combination of Sean, Jeremy, Tyler, John, and Woody, we won't have any trouble finding 3 or more quality QBs.

I think it's funny that anyone is fretting about the talent level of our QBs not reaching Brandon Allen. Go back and look at that guy's career; then, come talk to me about Sean White's track record. If White grows in the way Allen did, he'll set every passing record in the history of football as a senior. Allen threw for 250+ yards only twice during his first three seasons (two as a full-time starter): 2013 A&M and 2014 UGA.

White has already had more prolific games in half a season as a starter than Brandon Allen did in three years. Allen isn't proof that we don't have an elite QB. He's proof that any QB can be elite with enough reps and opportunity.

White has already had more prolific games in half a season as a starter than Brandon Allen did in three years. Allen isn't proof that we don't have an elite QB. He's proof that any QB can be elite with enough reps and opportunity.

Yes, I thought I covered that by posting that Allen was a senior and qualifying it with "next year".

You really went hard there picking out one small, insignificant part of my post and misapplying it to my overall point. Oh well.

I think it's funny that anyone is fretting about the talent level of our QBs not reaching Brandon Allen. Go back and look at that guy's career; then, come talk to me about Sean White's track record. If White grows in the way Allen did, he'll set every passing record in the history of football as a senior. Allen threw for 250+ yards only twice during his first three seasons (two as a full-time starter): 2013 A&M and 2014 UGA.

Oh, and there's that word "if" again. Which was my whole point. Which, even after several more readings, still seems pretty obvious.

I'm not really trying to prove or disprove any part of the post. I'm simply pointing out that one of your examples of elite QBs in the SEC is really a counter-example. White is farther along than Allen was at this stage. If you really want to compare the two, you'd have to look at Allen's Junior season to find any stretch of similar quality to what White did in his best stretch this season.

Coming into this year, Allen's best stretch of football was a four game window where he threw for 246, 296, 205, and 238 yards in consecutive weeks, three of the four games against SEC opponents. That's pretty similar to White's consecutive 255, 254, and 258 yard games, all against SEC opponents.

Unlike White, it took Allen a LOT more throws to post those numbers (152 attempts for Allen; 87 attempts for White), and Allen both scored and turned the ball over at a much higher clip (6 TDs/4 INTs; 1 TD/1 INT). Neither of them were able to pass their teams to victories (1-3 for Allen with the lone win against UAB;1-2 for White).

Basically, I'd say that what Brandon Allen did this year would ABSOLUTELY be on the table for White next season but for the fact that we're not going to start throwing the ball all over the park like Arkansas did. Allen averaged nearly 30 attempts per game in SEC play (and had a 53 attempt game outside the conference slate). That's not going to happen for White, but if it did and he stayed healthy, yes, I would expect him to throw for 3000+ yards, just like Allen did. I'd also expect to win 7-8 games, at most, just like Arkansas did.

If you want my take on what you wrote, I don't think two of the guys you pointed to are all that special. Coker is a slight improvement (though very different) on Blake Sims. I'm not sure we have the roster to prop up an average QB like Coker. I also don't think we will or should skew the offense to prop up a QB like Allen, through inflated attempts. The other three guys you mentioned are special, and I don't think we have any one that can or will play at that level next year. I also don't think you need a guy to play at that level to win a bunch of games. Talent-wise, we fall somewhere above MSU and below Alabama. We don't need Dak Prescott, but we need more than Jake Coker/Blake Sims.

Okay, wow. Brandon Allen is a bad example of a good SEC quarterback in 2015 despite leading the nation in QBR. And the guy playing for the title Monday is, too. Whatever. You're only helping me make my point. There aren't many really good quarterbacks, and I don't choose to assume that any of our guys will be one, either.

Let's stick to NCM and his brother. Thanks

I don't care to talk about our QB woes all offseason on all threads.

****All DL Thread****

"Yeah but our DL sucks because our QB's sucks and frick JJ.

There is talk that if we get NCM and Tre Nixon, then Elijah Stove may flip to Florida. I hope we add NCM and keep Stove. Richards and/or Nixon would just a bonus after that.

I'm also not sold that McClain is going to be a part of this class, especially if we get 2 more guys. It's been stated on here that he's a camp warrior that doesn't produce on the field.

I was wondering that, but that's one person's opinion. I've seen some people say some wild stuff about good players on here. I think somebody even said why are going after Gray or something like that lol.

I was wondering that, but that's one person's opinion. I've seen some people say some wild stuff about good players on here. I think somebody even said why are going after Gray or something like that lol.

Wait, we are going after Gary, Why would we do something like that?

I'm not really trying to prove or disprove any part of the post. I'm simply pointing out that one of your examples of elite QBs in the SEC is really a counter-example. White is farther along than Allen was at this stage. If you really want to compare the two, you'd have to look at Allen's Junior season to find any stretch of similar quality to what White did in his best stretch this season.

Coming into this year, Allen's best stretch of football was a four game window where he threw for 246, 296, 205, and 238 yards in consecutive weeks, three of the four games against SEC opponents. That's pretty similar to White's consecutive 255, 254, and 258 yard games, all against SEC opponents.

Unlike White, it took Allen a LOT more throws to post those numbers (152 attempts for Allen; 87 attempts for White), and Allen both scored and turned the ball over at a much higher clip (6 TDs/4 INTs; 1 TD/1 INT). Neither of them were able to pass their teams to victories (1-3 for Allen with the lone win against UAB;1-2 for White).

Basically, I'd say that what Brandon Allen did this year would ABSOLUTELY be on the table for White next season but for the fact that we're not going to start throwing the ball all over the park like Arkansas did. Allen averaged nearly 30 attempts per game in SEC play (and had a 53 attempt game outside the conference slate). That's not going to happen for White, but if it did and he stayed healthy, yes, I would expect him to throw for 3000+ yards, just like Allen did. I'd also expect to win 7-8 games, at most, just like Arkansas did.

If you want my take on what you wrote, I don't think two of the guys you pointed to are all that special. Coker is a slight improvement (though very different) on Blake Sims. I'm not sure we have the roster to prop up an average QB like Coker. I also don't think we will or should skew the offense to prop up a QB like Allen, through inflated attempts. The other three guys you mentioned are special, and I don't think we have any one that can or will play at that level next year. I also don't think you need a guy to play at that level to win a bunch of games. Talent-wise, we fall somewhere above MSU and below Alabama. We don't need Dak Prescott, but we need more than Jake Coker/Blake Sims.

Coker is better then many people give him credit for. Because of Henry and the O-Line he doesn't throw that much so his numbers are not great also while the bama O-Line is good all year they have also been beaten badly at times especially when pass defending. Coker doesn't panic and keeps plays alive both buying time and passing or by running. He did it against us a couple of times and he did it in the last playoff game and I have seen him do it all year. He is a better QB then Sims. Is he Elite no but he is a very solid QB. If we had him this year we would have been a much better team. I hate saying good things about bama players but he is good.

I don't think you know much about Coker. He had more help and less responsibility than AJ McCarron. He killed them with turnovers against Ole Miss. He's solid with an incredible supporting cast. The degree of difficulty for him is about a 4 out of 10.

In an effort to turn the conversation, NCM and Davis and Stove appear to be the kind of WRs that can make solid to good QBs look like very good QBs, much like Aromashodu, Obomanu, Taylor, and Mix did with Brandin Cox in 2005. I love bringing in a class of guys to grow and compete together.

I don't think you know much about Coker. He had more help and less responsibility than AJ McCarron. He killed them with turnovers against Ole Miss. One bad game near the beginning of the season while bama was still trying to figure out who they were offensively. Since then he has been solid and when needed has been a go to guy. I was clear I didn't say he was elite just better then most people give him credit for. I also think if our QB's played as well as he did this year we would have a much better record. He's solid with an incredible supporting cast. The degree of difficulty for him is about a 4 out of 10.

In an effort to turn the conversation, NCM and Davis and Stove appear to be the kind of WRs that can make solid to good QBs look like very good QBs, much like Aromashodu, Obomanu, Taylor, and Mix did with Brandin Cox in 2005. I love bringing in a class of guys to grow and compete together. I totally agree with you about the WR's.

Tre Nixon trending up as well. Tre Nixon, Ahmon Richards, and Nate Craig are the remaining three targets. We'll take 2 more per KN. 1 out 3 would be fine, but we could take 2 out of the 3. Making this by far the best WR class in recent history. We have 7 more spots, and supposedly Tashawn won't count towards the limit anymore. Heard Newkirk won't qualify...

sucks about newkirk

Archived