2016 4* OT EJ Price (USC Signee)

ellitor

JFD, believe your assessment of Price is correct.....leaning UGA

Honestly nobody really knows right now.

with new names popping up for the o-line spot do you think it is more Hand wanting them or signs of where things are going?

I did not understand the question as worded but hopefully this helps. AU has needed an OT in this class & has always known that, especially LT. We have dropped the ball there to this point. Hand is trying desperately to get an OT especially since AY went pro which surprised him per 1 recruit.

responded perfectly, ball was dropped and Hand is getting the best guy he can get in 3 weeks

Outside of Jonah Willliams as a legit target, to be honest it's not a very good OT class especially when you need 1 or 2. I'm not saying we would have gotten Jonah, but it would have been nice to see us go after him hard early given he is a legacy.

Isn't that part of the reason we had to make a switch at OL coach (needed one capable of recruiting)?

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't that part of the reason we had to make a switch at OL coach (needed one capable of recruiting)?

I don't know it as fact but it very well could be implied in the statements that we heard JB not being able to log SEC hours as why Gus wanted a change.

with new names popping up for the o-line spot do you think it is more Hand wanting them or signs of where things are going?

I did not understand the question as worded but hopefully this helps. AU has needed an OT in this class & has always known that, especially LT. We have dropped the ball there to this point. Hand is trying desperately to get an OT especially since AY went pro which surprised him per 1 recruit.

responded perfectly, ball was dropped and Hand is getting the best guy he can get in 3 weeks

Outside of Jonah Willliams as a legit target, to be honest it's not a very good OT class especially when you need 1 or 2. I'm not saying we would have gotten Jonah, but it would have been nice to see us go after him hard early given he is a legacy.

Getting a commitment from the #1 2017 Ol player in the country isn't good enough? It wasn't recruiting, period. The guy has only a few years of active coaching left and he wanted to go coach where he'd be closer to his family. His son coaches at Cincinnati too, you know. We didn't "have" to make a change at OL, he wanted to go and he left with our blessing. This has been covered at length in other threads.

Getting a commitment from the #1 2017 Ol player in the country isn't good enough? It wasn't recruiting, period. The guy has only a few years of active coaching left and he wanted to go coach where he'd be closer to his family. His son coaches at Cincinnati too, you know. We didn't "have" to make a change at OL, he wanted to go and he left with our blessing. This has been covered at length in other threads.

But did SABAN give his blessing? If not ....

So you're telling me in his old age he mistook a 2017 OT for a 2016 OT? Seriously though, I get it. And Ashley will be great to get next year...but Gus has to survive this season first, and we've been short on elite tackle commits the last few cycles. Several big misses despite recent success with Robinson. But I guess that's another topic.

Geez. "Gus has to survive" . . . that's nonsense. Replacing Gus isn't even on the radar.

Well said. Gus is here for quite some time, barring a 3-9 crash similar to 2012.

Geez. "Gus has to survive" . . . that's nonsense. Replacing Gus isn't even on the radar.

Well said. Gus is here for quite some time, barring a 3-9 crash similar to 2012.

If Jay decided to get rid of Gus, he would be going right with him. We would continue to lead the country in pay of coaches that are no longer on staff which speaks poorly of Jay's decisions. Jay knows he doesn't have the ability to get rid of Gus and survive.

So you're telling me in his old age he mistook a 2017 OT for a 2016 OT? Seriously though, I get it. And Ashley will be great to get next year...but Gus has to survive this season first, and we've been short on elite tackle commits the last few cycles. Several big misses despite recent success with Robinson. But I guess that's another topic.

i don't have the facts in front of me but I don't think we have missed on OL recruiting under jb grimes in any year. We redshirted 5 solid guys and had a 5* transfer in. We are about to have our second straight LT get drafted and I assume young will go somewhere in the draft. We actually had solid OL transfers out because they couldn't displace starters. Maybe I'm missing something. I do think we were a little light this year but we had/have some solid OL prospects this recruiting cycle. And we will sign a couple. We might be short 1 but that spot might be sacrificed to add a different position (LBer anyone?)

There are many different opinions about that. I've seen people who are very respected on here say that Gus needs to have a good year next season

There are many different opinions about that. I've seen people who are very respected on here say that Gus needs to have a good year next season

Common sense says that barring a total breakdown Gus is good for the foreseeable future. Hint: Just because somebody knows somebody that knows a booster that says 9 wins are a must doesn't mean it's true. "It ain't necessarily so....", if you remember that old song by Sammie Davis jr.

No hints needed, just really depends on how deep the contacts go on how much a person may know. But I was just saying many have opinions, on THAT particular subject though I don't think either side can really scoff and look down on the other....I don't think anybody really knows

I agree that there probably are some powerful people saying a 9 win season with a turd or dawg win is a must. I also believe that without a losing season it would be very hard to get a consensus decision to fire Gus. 4-8 or 3-9 would probably do it.

I don't see that happening at all, but you never know.

Grimes was not the Coach that was recruiting & got Ashley to commit to AU. Fountain is his recruiter & gets credit for that.

Yes it is. With all due respect where have you been hiding the past couple months to miss that? Gus has to win at least 8 but more likely 9 to be @ AU after 2016.

If Jay decided to get rid of Gus, he would be going right with him. We would continue to lead the country in pay of coaches that are no longer on staff which speaks poorly of Jay's decisions. Jay knows he doesn't have the ability to get rid of Gus and survive.

Some influential people are trying to get rid of JJ first so if Gus is let go after next year JJ can't hire the next guy.

Grimes was not the Coach that was recruiting & got Ashley to commit to AU. Fountain is his recruiter & gets credit for that.

Sorry, but I'm not buying that the nations's top OL recruit committed to Auburn with no regard for who his position coach was going to be. Grimes had to have a lot to do with it regardless of who some recruiting site lists as the "primary recruiter."

Let's look at this too : " With all due respect where have you been hiding the past couple months to miss that? Gus has to win at least 8 but more likely 9 to be @ AU after 2016."

No he does not. When something seems entirely idiotic, it probably is. Just stop and think for a minute before believing something you've been told. Win 8 or gone, win 9 or gone, lose 5 and gone...that's nonsense from any rational level of thought. Football is too unpredictable for anyone with any sense to believe that. Just stop and think about it.

E, C'mon man! "Some influential people" have been trying to get rid of every AD and coach since the beginning of time. No disrespect meant, but please don't bring that Ron Sanders subscription agenda to this free site.

E, C'mon man! "Some influential people" have been trying to get rid of every AD and coach since the beginning of time. No disrespect meant, but please don't bring that Ron Sanders subscription agenda to this free site.

1. It's not agenda driven. 2. It didn't come from Ron. 3. In fact PM who writes for Ron, thinks JJ is safe& actually tries to overprotect Jay Jacobs IMO. If anything that's the agenda. 4. Yes Ron can be a pain due to he loves him some rumors when it comes to anything not AU. When it comes to AU however, time has proven him to be right very very often.

There is an uprising of influentials trying to get Gouge to let JJ go soon. They have to convince Gouge to let JJ go. If they do it will happen. If they don't, it won't. End of story. We can get back to Price now.

Yes it is. With all due respect where have you been hiding the past couple months to miss that? Gus has to win at least 8 but more likely 9 to be @ AU after 2016.

I don't know if he will be let go, but he certainly shouldn't be. It would be a poor strategy, and here's why: although we should have a high standard of success, we should also recognize that to reach that bar takes going through some ups and downs.

It's like the stock market: you buy and hold, and you don't sell when the market's low. This is especially true when you have a stock that's proven it's worth. Gus proved himself in 2010 when he helped direct us to the NC, and in 2013 when he did so again. There have been rough seasons in between, but he wasn't a part of 2012 at all, and 2014 was on track to be great until we just derailed mid-season. As far as I can see, this past year has been his only real underperformance (and even that was over .500).

He's recruited phenomenally well, surrounded himself with really good coaches and has represented the program proudly. I support Gus, and I think to consider getting rid of him (barring a Chizik-like collapse) would be a poor decision. Unfortunately, the decision that's made is not always the right one.

I don't know if he will be let go, but he certainly shouldn't be. It would be a poor strategy, and here's why: although we should have a high standard of success, we should also recognize that to reach that bar takes going through some ups and downs.

It's like the stock market: you buy and hold, and you don't sell when the market's low. This is especially true when you have a stock that's proven it's worth. Gus proved himself in 2010 when he helped direct us to the NC and in 2013 when he did so again. There have been rough seasons in between, but he wasn't a part of 2012 at all, and 2014 was on track to be great until we just derailed mid-season. As far as I can see, this past year has been his only real underperformance (and even that was over .500).

He's recruited phenomenally well, surrounded himself with really good coaches and has represented the program proudly. I support Gus, and I think to consider getting rid of him (barring a Chizik-like collapse) would be a poor decision. Unfortunately, the decision that's made is not always the right one.

I totally agree he shouldn't be. What I'm saying though is there is just way to much smoke from every AU source that given we have lost 9 of our last 11 SEC games, a repeat of 6-6 or 7-5 will not keep Gu's job after 2016. Yes there are no certainties but signs are pointing heavily in that direction right now.

It's a ridiculous narrative that Gus has to do X or Y to keep his job. This department, especially, doesn't make decisions that will evoke criticism, and firing Gus after four years would absolutely get us crushed in the media. That's a fact. Auburn's unstable. Auburn can't compete. Auburn lacks direction. Etc. if you thought LSU took heat for potentially replacing Les, we'd get twice that.

Also, the whole, he can't win six games again thing is a joke. I'm in my mid-30s. Auburn has had a total of six seasons with six or fewer wins in my lifetime. So if that's our bar, I feel pretty salty about saying he's safe.

Bottom line, the guy's not getting fired, but I have no doubt that lots of people will waste time discussing it.

Archived