2016 Fall Camp - Practice 5

RunInRed

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Really? I don't remember it that way, but it's possible.

From the rivals article today

"Malzhan allowed his quarterbacks to go live in at least one scrimmage this spring and has had quarterbacks go live in the fall at times including in 2013 when Nick Marshall, a junior college transfer who enrolled in the summer, was battling for the starting position."

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

From the rivals article today

"Malzhan allowed his quarterbacks to go live in at least one scrimmage this spring and has had quarterbacks go live in the fall at times including in 2013 when Nick Marshall, a junior college transfer who enrolled in the summer, was battling for the starting position."

Haha good find. Another one bites the dust.

Going live in the '13 scrimmages is the reason Nick became the starter in the first place. He left the other guys in the dust. Nothing like going against the real thing, unless you already know what you've got at QB of course. The plot thickens. :cool:

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Can anybody else remember a time in the last 30 years that we were in a situation where we have basically a completely new team of skill players?

Last season was pretty close.  Auburn replaced Qb, Rb, Hb, Fb, Te, Sammie at Wr, and a 4 year starter at center.  I actually feel better about this season.  Sean, Kerryon, Cox, and most of our Wrs have significant playing time under their belt.  Its still early  but it seems like Sean has the leg up on JF3 so far.  I don't know how JJ fits into the scheme of things other than being a senior leader.  I'd like to see JF3 go live with Woody.  It would show Gus how much he's progressed since spring and whether he's ready to take the lead.  If he goes out and makes plays then he's the man.  If he goes out and makes bad throws then its the Sean show.  His skill set is best shown in game type situations.  Gus knows what he has in Sean and JJ.

We did it in 2001 as well. Jason Campbell started as a RFr (replacing Ben Leard) - eventually gave way to Daniel Cobb; Casinious Moore started at RB (replacing Rudi Johnson) - eventually gave way to Cadillac; and we lost both Ronny Daniels at WR and Heath Evans at FB. It's rare, but it happens. 

4 hours ago, MaxP said:

I'm usually one to be very optimistic at the beginning of the season, but still having three players vy for the QB position is very disheartening. Especially, when one of them failed so badly last year. 

Eh they both didn't do anything substantial, I'm glad it's been whittled to 3. It would've been a real problem if Barrett was contending.

Up till yesterday Gus talked about the possibility of going live, but what I am reading and hearing now it looks like it more of a two man race between JJ and SW and there would be no need to go live. He knows their abilities. In 2013 it was between two unknowns in JJ and NM and NM's ability would be his legs and ability to move in the pocket. JMO. WDE

3 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Up till yesterday Gus talked about the possibility of going live, but what I am reading and hearing now it looks like it more of a two man race between JJ and SW and there would be no need to go live. He knows their abilities. In 2013 it was between two unknowns in JJ and NM and NM's ability would be his legs and ability to move in the pocket. JMO. WDE

This is correct from what I was told. I still wish Gus would do some live action with SW & JJ. 

2 hours ago, eagletiger said:

JJ will be the starter, but will be on a short leash, with JF3 coming in on certain plays (wildcat)... Sean backup... MHO

This is what I'm feeling now, too. During the spring, I was convinced that JF3 was the guy, but it just doesn't seem like he's getting enough first team work. I don't think this JJ thing is over, and this is a bold move by Gus. If he trots JJ out there against Clemson, and our offense looks like it did last year, it's going to set a negative tone for the rest of the season. On the other hand, with there being so many new faces on offense, I can kind of see why you would want some senior leadership to be out there. 

7 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

This is what I'm feeling now, too. During the spring, I was convinced that JF3 was the guy, but it just doesn't seem like he's getting enough first team work. I don't think this JJ thing is over, and this is a bold move by Gus. If he trots JJ out there against Clemson, and our offense looks like it did last year, it's going to set a negative tone for the rest of the season. On the other hand, with there being so many new faces on offense, I can kind of see why you would want some senior leadership to be out there. 

If Gus trots JJ out against Clemson and the O looks like it did last year, AU will be looking for a new coach. Gus will be done. 

SW will be the starter. 

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I don't know where this JJ will be the starter thought has come from. Sure anything can happen & it's possible but there has been no credible info come across saying or implying JJ has passed Sean (Who went in the Summer w/ the lead) in the QB1 race. No disrespect to Civil or EagleEye but this line of thinking at the moment baffles me.

SW will be the starter.  CGM's job is on the line and he is going with the most consistent player and one that gives him a chance to win 8-9 games.  I honestly don't get the JF3 hype and we all know about JJ.

1 minute ago, atl-tiger said:

SW will be the starter.  CGM's job is on the line and he is going with the most consistent player and one that gives him a chance to win 8-9 games.  I honestly don't get the JF3 hype and we all know about JJ.

Gus's job is not on the line barring a 3-9 2012 season.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If Gus trots JJ out against Clemson and the O looks like it did last year, AU will be looking for a new coach. Gus will be done. 

SW will be the starter. 

And if SW performs as he did in the bowl game the result is the same. The point is, there is not much difference between JJ and SW as far as results last year. JJ has far more physical talent that I would think could help him. I have come to the realization that it will be one of JJ and SW and I believe that leads to a very average year.  I do believe that no matter what Gus has another year. It is up to Gus to get the talent to AU, but at them moment our skill position talent is very average. There is a lot of potential that is young, but I would think they will not make very much contribution until later this year or next year.

I have been told that Ruffin and Roberts were looking good in the back end. 

I think the defense will be a surprise around the league.  Everyone knows about our D-line, but we have upgraded every other open position.

• Like 5

If the "Gus's job is on the line" narrative would die- or at least not be peddled by our own- I'd be so happy. It would take a massive 2012-esque collapse for him to get canned this year. Clear progress from last year and continued success in recruiting and he stays. 

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:
5 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

And if SW performs as he did in the bowl game the result is the same. The point is, there is not much difference between JJ and SW as far as results last year. JJ has far more physical talent that I would think could help him. I have come to the realization that it will be one of JJ and SW and I believe that leads to a very average year.  I do believe that no matter what Gus has another year. It is up to Gus to get the talent to AU, but at them moment our skill position talent is very average. There is a lot of potential that is young, but I would think they will not make very much contribution until later this year or next year.

If Gus starts JJ and the O looks the same with no improvement then I believe Gus won't be at AU in 2017. And you do know SW was no where close to 100% in the bowl game. SW could not plant his foot on his throws.

Anyways it's going to be SW as the starter. Anyone want to bet me on this? :bananadance::Sing::hellyeah:

2 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

And if SW performs as he did in the bowl game the result is the same. The point is, there is not much difference between JJ and an injured SW as far as results last year. JJ has far more physical talent that I would think could help him. I have come to the realization that it will be one of JJ and SW and I believe that leads to a very average year.  I do believe that no matter what Gus has another year. It is up to Gus to get the talent to AU, but at them moment our skill position talent is very average. There is a lot of potential that is young, but I would think they will not make very much contribution until later this year or next year.

Made a major edit for you. There is quite a bit of difference between JJ & a healthy Sean. Sean was hitting his stride, albeit versus UK & Arky, before getting & staying injured rest of the season. He just needs to stay healthy. Yes JJ has more physical talent but Sean has more mental QB talent. That makes a big difference.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If Gus starts JJ and the O looks the same with no improvement then I believe Gus won't be at AU in 2017. And you do know SW was no where close to 100% in the bowl game. SW could not plant his foot on his throws.

Anyways it's going to be SW as the starter. Anyone want to bet me on this? :bananadance::Sing::hellyeah:

Crazy you replied to a post I had not even made yet...It's like you are in my mind WDE.

Roberts was a revelation late last season. Personally, I thought he was one of the three keys to our defensive improvement:  Lawson coming back, Ford moving to Nickel, and Roberts playing really good football at Safety. Once he and Ford moved into the lineup, we had more flexibility in our coverages than we've seen in a long time because Ford could naturally slip back to a deep zone, and Roberts was comfortable and effective in man-to-man or shallow zone coverage (likely because he was a converted CB). Those guys allowed us to disguise coverage better than we could earlier in the season. Barring improvement from Ruffin and Matthews, I expect Roberts to start.

I've always believed that Sean would win the QB race. I took Rhett's comment about "all three QBs" running our system as a complement to Sean, more than anyone else. Folks tend to think John is the only guy that can effectively run our read package (except that some folks like Jeremy in the inverted veer, ala 2010), but when healthy last year, he was really effective at moving the sticks with his feet. Check the MSU film. He's a better athlete than people think and a good ballhandler. He won't run for 700 yards or anything close to it, but he can make good decisions and keep us ahead of schedule on down/distance.

As for Jeremy, he has, by far, the highest upside of all three QBs, but I don't think Gus can make him the starter unless he goes live in at least one scrimmage. Nick Marshall distanced himself for Jeremy in 2013 through the live scrimmages, and Jeremy's flaws were exposed when he was getting hit in 2015. If it's me, I can't trust you until I see you react differently than you have in the past.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Made a major edit for you. There is quite a bit of difference between JJ & a healthy Sean. Sean was hitting his stride, albeit versus UK & Arky, before getting & staying injured rest of the season. He just needs to stay healthy. Yes JJ has more physical talent but Sean has more mental QB talent. That makes a big difference.

Why did you do that. I referenced the bowl game where Gus said our QB's were 100%. His performance was not winning football and kept Memphis in the ball game.  I really did not see much difference between SW and JJ last year.

8 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Before the bowl game Gus said our QB's were a 100%. What do you know that Gus did not?

Just now, 80Tiger said:

Before the bowl game Gus said our QB's were a 100%. What do you know that Gus did not?

What do you think Gus would say?  The only QB we have that has proven to be effective has an injured plant foot and is now basically a statue that can't use his lower body to throw.

13 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

What WDE said! I think a healthy Sean, with Gus putting a little trust in him, will lead to a surprising season.  An injury or two and the story changes. 

Edited by imaolgatiger