2016 Fall Camp - Practice 5

RunInRed

2 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

When you guys say going live are you speaking in reference to tackling or throwing the kitchen sink at them from a schematic standpoint. Reason I ask is because several of JJ mistakes occurred when there was no pressure at all. I mean he literally threw the ball right to the LB against Louisville and Jax State. 

I don't want to see any of our QBs hurt but certainly test them. I'm no coach by far but i'd love to know how others feel JJ can be better assessed if you're not going live to an extent with him. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong but i didn't hear bad reports on JJ regarding practices. He looked pretty good at A-day which i fully understand not to put a ton of value on. 

And you have a good point about those INTs...it wasn't any pressure on him in those situations which is concerning and goes back to me asking what are some indicators that he's actually turned it around? 

My guesstimate is that SW is the starter but JF3 is worked into the offense more and more with each passing week. The goal would be to get him fully up to speed and challenging for the job as soon as possible. Then we see what happens from there.

3 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

My guesstimate is that SW is the starter but JF3 is worked into the offense more and more with each passing week. The goal would be to get him fully up to speed and challenging for the job as soon as possible. Then we see what happens from there.

Respectfully disagree. I think that was the goal for spring and early fall. Latest intel suggests that goal was not met. Now it's time to focus on building the offense around the other guys, making sure the backup is as sharp as possible, and finding other ways- package plays, wildcat, speed sweep, whatever- to get Franklin on the field.

4 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Was told Marshall Taylor wasn't at Team Pics today... Anyone else confirm?

Not worried if true. Gus said yesterday he will be back with the team soon.

28 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Someone can correct me if i'm wrong but i didn't hear bad reports on JJ regarding practices. He looked pretty good at A-day which i fully understand not to put a ton of value on. 

Have to give credit to Altima but he reported several practices last fall where he said JJ was very inconsistent and often off the mark high in drills.  I don't remember how exactly Altima stated it but he caught hell for a few days on each report. I think he just stopped commenting on JJ after a few bad reports.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

A couple of questions.  

1) Did Byron change his number?  Or did they move him to LB?  I did not see #9 in any of the DLine drills videos.  I did see #9 1 time in the video of D vs O

2) Who is #16 playing QB?  Saw him in a couple of the videos taking snaps.

3) I noticed in one of the QB videos that JFIII was not present.  Was he possibly working on drills with another group?

1. No. No.

2. Walk on juco Devin Adams.

3. No.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

I no rite!! Ain't no buddy better than Shawn White! No Buddy!

Yup! Shawn White is an elite snowboarder...

Shaun-White-201311-1-402.jpg

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Respectfully disagree. I think that was the goal for spring and early fall. Latest intel suggests that goal was not met. Now it's time to focus on building the offense around the other guys, making sure the backup is as sharp as possible, and finding other ways- package plays, wildcat, speed sweep, whatever- to get Franklin on the field.

It could be the final evaluation has already been made, that he can't get there. But the true impact of an actual duel threat QB can't be evaluated unless he is in a live situation. After reading some other things, it sounds like he needs more time to fully grasp the offense and they will give him that time before they close the door. The worst that can happen is we have some 4.3 speed at another position.

Just now, IronMan70 said:

It could be the final evaluation has already been made, that he can't get there. But the true impact of an actual duel threat QB can't be evaluated unless he is in a live situation. After reading some other things, it sounds like he needs more time to fully grasp the offense and they will give him that time before they close the door. The worst that can happen is we have some 4.3 speed at another position. 

Amen to that. That's why I was happy we got the kid. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Amen to that. That's why I was happy we got the kid. 

Yep, I was thinking earlier today, what if JJ was a hard nose downhill runner like Cam? We could run the inverted veer game with JJ, Pettway, and KJ. bringing JF3 in constant motion like Omac and put the defense to sleep. Could've been scary good 

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

I don't know where this JJ will be the starter thought has come from. Sure anything can happen & it's possible but there has been no credible info come across saying or implying JJ has passed Sean (Who went in the Summer w/ the lead) in the QB1 race. No disrespect to Civil or EagleEye but this line of thinking at the moment baffles me.

I completely agree that Sean is a better QB. My reason behind thinking JJ has the edge, is that JJ has shown that he's a better option to run those read options,that we all figured out we desperately needed last year,  to be successful. With the unknowns in the WR group, I just don't see how Sean can be used to his full strengths. If Gus sees some promise in the WR's, Sean will probably get the nod. 

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

Yep, I was thinking earlier today, what if JJ was a hard nose downhill runner like Cam? We could run the inverted veer game with JJ, Pettway, and KJ. bringing JF3 in constant motion like Omac and put the defense to sleep. Could've been scary good 

Not to Cam's level, but JJ has the ability to do that. He just does not like to

Just now, ellitor said:

Not to Cam's level, but JJ has the ability to do that. He just does not like to

I agree, didn't mean to insinuate on cam's level, I just meant in general being a hard nose down hill runner with his size. Your last sentence though is why we cannot run that type of offense. The fact that he doesn't like to will keep that type of offense from reaching its peak potential. It was just a "what could have been" thought. Lol

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

I've got good news. Btw, Kam Martin is your Onterrio this season unless Franklin really does slide over. 

19 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I agree, didn't mean to insinuate on cam's level, I just meant in general being a hard nose down hill runner with his size. Your last sentence though is why we cannot run that type of offense. The fact that he doesn't like to will keep that type of offense from reaching its peak potential. It was just a "what could have been" thought. Lol

I knew what you meant. I was clarifying for the "Don't compare to Cam" crowd.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I've got good news. Btw, Kam Martin is your Onterrio this season unless Franklin really does slide over. 

Scuddle-butt is Kam Martin could be more than an O-Mac type FWIW.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I knew what you meant. I was clarifying for the "Don't compare to Cam" crowd.

Probably a good call, E! Lol

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Scuddle-butt is Kam Martin could be more than an O-Mac type FWIW.

Wouldn't surprise me. #1 RB in Texas, at least at one point... I don't care what the level of competition is, that's impressive and implies a larger skill set than just speed. I was just making a too-strongly-worded yet not-so-bold prediction based on other personnel. Truitt and Smith might hold it down and Martin might slide in elsewhere. I have no idea. Doesn't help that I keep thinking of him as a mid-career transfer and not a true freshman...

Edited by McLoofus

2 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I don't want to see any of our QBs hurt but certainly test them. I'm no coach by far but i'd love to know how others feel JJ can be better assessed if you're not going live to an extent with him. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong but i didn't hear bad reports on JJ regarding practices. He looked pretty good at A-day which i fully understand not to put a ton of value on. 

And you have a good point about those INTs...it wasn't any pressure on him in those situations which is concerning and goes back to me asking what are some indicators that he's actually turned it around? 

You're right, plus people sometimes forget watching football and playing are two different things, regardless if anybody was coming at him or not he may have felt like someone was. SW did the same thing against miss st, beniq just dropped the int. He actually did it in the endzone as well where they caught the int.  Seems like sw isn't as jumpy now but he may be too laxed as well. That one play during A day if Lawson wasn't on his team I'm sure sw would have at the least been injured when he didn't "feel" Lawson coming. 

But either way as most things in life you want to practice as close too real conditions as possible, actually you want to practice with tougher conditions

3 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

The games Sean started were against pretty damn good competition. Ole Miss finished second in the West and 10-3 overall. Arkansas finished third in the West and 8-5 overall. MSU finished sixth in the West and 9-4 overall. (PS. The West is crazy with a team that good finishing sixth.) And Memphis finished 9-4 overall (with a win over Ole Miss). That's pretty damn good competition.

As for the whole Sean White argument, I'll play. The only discussion McLoofus and I were having is whether he could run our read offense, and we both took the position that, when healthy, the MSU game is clear evidence that he can. Again, he's not going to be Nick Marshall, but he's more mobile than people think. Then, 80Tiger stepped in to crap on that idea and claimed he was doing it through "facts." So, let's look at the facts.

In the MSU game, Sean White kept the ball on designed keepers or in the zone read seven times. On those plays, he totaled 66 yards, including a 31-yard run, a 13-yard run on 2nd and 14, and two other first downs. When running the ball, he picked up a first down every other carry and averaged 9.4 ypc. His rushing stats were depressed because he was sacked four times for 37 yards. Those are the facts, and I have to say, after looking at the numbers, I feel even better about my claim that Sean can handle the read game. He's not going to blow teams away, but he can keep us ahead on down/distance and move the chains with his feet.

What did Sean do in any of those games outside of Arkansas to make them noteworthy?

• Like 1

Arky pass defense was horrible. Auburn finished undefeated and won a championship 2010, and went to the title game with only one loss 2014 and our pass defense was horrible....If some of you try to make pretend the comp level was high....well nevermind. Also sw was almost killed on some of those runs, and he fumbled alot during those runs. We just didn't lose the fumbles we recovered them. It's more to running than being fast....

5 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Thanks E.  So any word on where he has been during drills?

He's been there repping with the 2nd & 3rd teams.