2016 Fall Camp - Practice 5

RunInRed

13 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Anyways it's going to be SW as the starter. Anyone want to bet me on this? :bananadance::Sing::hellyeah:

I will.  If you win you get to punch Golf in the face. If I win, I get to punch Golf in the gut.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Why did you do that. I referenced the bowl game where Gus said our QB's were 100%. His performance was not winning football and kept Memphis in the ball game.  I really did not see much difference between SW and JJ last year.

Before the bowl game Gus said our QB's were a 100%. What do you know that Gus did not?

If Gus said that then he was fabricating which is perogative to do. By all insider accounts he was still not 100%. He still had problems with his plant leg.  In no way does that excuse his bowl game INTs as those were mental errors but overall his performance still was going to suffer still being injured

Gus is not going to be real there & say Sean is still a bit dinged up but since I don't trust Jeremy much right now with his decision making, Sean will play.

That would be dumb, humiliating to JJ, & just not look good on an AU HC at all on the whole.

Edited by ellitor

10 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Why did you do that. I referenced the bowl game where Gus said our QB's were 100%. His performance was not winning football and kept Memphis in the ball game.  I really did not see much difference between SW and JJ last year.

Before the bowl game Gus said our QB's were a 100%. What do you know that Gus did not?

White was no where near 100% for the bowl game. There is a picture floating around of his foot taken right before the bowl game. Not pretty. 

48 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I've always believed that Sean would win the QB race. I took Rhett's comment about "all three QBs" running our system as a complement to Sean, more than anyone else. Folks tend to think John is the only guy that can effectively run our read package (except that some folks like Jeremy in the inverted veer, ala 2010), but when healthy last year, he was really effective at moving the sticks with his feet. Check the MSU film. He's a better athlete than people think and a good ballhandler. He won't run for 700 yards or anything close to it, but he can make good decisions and keep us ahead of schedule on down/distance.

Maybe they'll believe you. I've posted the highlights from the MSU game several times, but people still don't believe it. Their preconceived notions hold more sway than their eyes.

43 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Being honest about injuries falls somewhere behind being honest about great job opportunities on the list of priorities for a football coach. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Gus's job is not on the line barring a 3-9 2012 season.

I just had to "like" this one to get ya to 100. Couldn't pass that up. :jossun:

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Maybe they'll believe you. I've posted the highlights from the MSU game several times, but people still don't believe it. Their preconceived notions hold more sway than their eyes.

Being honest about injuries falls somewhere behind being honest about great job opportunities on the list of priorities for a football coach. 

I get the highlights from the MSU game. We lost. We scored 9 pts. Our offense gained less than 400 yds. Is that what we are hoping/looking for? Is that our expectation?

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I have been told that Ruffin and Roberts were looking good in the back end. 

I think the defense will be a surprise around the league.  Everyone knows about our D-line, but we have upgraded every other open position.

Yea, I think the D is gonna be a LOT better.  Obviously the DL is solid with good depth, the DBs really came on in the later part of the year.  The addition of Neal to the LB corp is a huge help and with Williams and Holland, we should see payoffs from that position, 

12 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I get the highlights from the MSU game. We lost. We scored 9 pts. Our offense gained less than 400 yds. Is that what we are hoping/looking for? Is that our expectation?

Take a deep breath and pump the breaks. I was just commenting on Sean's mobility. But since we're here, you're ignoring a LOT of variables in assessing the offense's- and Sean's- performance that night.

Whatever. I've grown tired and bored with it. Redshirt freshman in disorganized, inexperienced offense doesn't look good- then gets injured and stays injured- so can clearly never be good. Got it.

Looking forward to yet another season of people looking a little silly for making hard assumptions based on limited info. Happens every year and people never learn. 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Can anybody else remember a time in the last 30 years that we were in a situation where we have basically a completely new team of skill players?

2011 was pretty dang close.  We returned three skill players, two were reserves, the only starter was a TE.

WDE!

Per my source: "unless Franklin comes out and shows us something spectacular in scrimmage 1 or 2, Sean will be our starter." 

I was surprised to hear this as every other conversation had mentioned the likelihood of Franklin as the eventual starter...throwing and decision making just must not have improved to their liking over the summer to hand over the keys.

ps, preliminary imaging on Kyle look good so he should meet with Andrews and co and I'm hoping he will get a good to go soon. Great news (so far. Remember things change quickly sometimes.)

Edited by passthebiscuits
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Per my source: "unless Franklin comes out and shows us something spectacular in scrimmage 1 or 2, Sean will be our starter." 

I was surprised to hear this as every other conversation had mentioned the likelihood of Franklin as the eventual starter...throwing and decision making just must not have improved to their liking over the summer to hand over the keys.

ps, preliminary imaging on Kyle look good so he should meet with Andrews and co and I'm hoping he will get a good to go soon. Great news (so far. Remember things change quickly sometimes.)

Good info, thanks Doc.

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

I know that Gus didn't want to tell the opposing team that they could key on our running game because we were starting a QB with a bad wheel.

18 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Thanks thebuscuits. 

34 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Was told Marshall Taylor wasn't at Team Pics today... Anyone else confirm?

If he's dealing with a personal issue, he might not even be on campus.

12 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

If he's dealing with a personal issue, he might not even be on campus.

My thoughts when I was told as well.

38 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Take a deep breath and pump the breaks. I was just commenting on Sean's mobility. But since we're here, you're ignoring a LOT of variables in assessing the offense's- and Sean's- performance that night.

Whatever. I've grown tired and bored with it. Redshirt freshman in disorganized, inexperienced offense doesn't look good- then gets injured and stays injured- so can clearly never be good. Got it.

Looking forward to yet another season of people looking a little silly for making hard assumptions based on limited info. Happens every year and people never learn. 

I get it, when you lose the "facts" argument you get tired of it and want to move on.

4 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I get it, when you lose the "facts" argument you get tired of it and want to move on.

Lol. Enjoy the football season. 

It's not that he lost anything. It's the fact the same arguments have been regurgitated all summer and both sides refuse to listen to the other. That said, with new info coming to light, one group looks to be a little more correct than another.

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It's the fact the same arguments have been regurgitated all summer and both sides refuse to listen to the other.

Correct. 

57 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It's not that he lost anything. It's the fact the same arguments have been regurgitated all summer and both sides refuse to listen to the other. That said, with new info coming to light, one group looks to be a little more correct than another.

I agree that the same facts have been regurgitated all summer. Just to clarify my thoughts/position. I have never had any reason to know that JF3 was the better QB. I had no idea if he was or not. My contention/concern has been that our existing QB's were very average and I was hoping for better production from that position this coming year. It certainly looks as if one last years guys is going to be the starter. I tend to look at things from a very black and white perspective. I know both QB's had a different sets of issues (confidence, injury, etc).  Even at their best I did not see much from either of our QB's last year to make me feel better about this year. I was hoping for a better talent to be on campus. Does not look like the case. Not counting on Woody yet.  Just to young. It's just my opinion. I hope I am wrong. It certainly will not be the first time if I am.

17 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

I'm not sure how to feel about the 3 QB's not going live. We seemed to look great at QB last year in practice when it wasn't live and we all know how that went when guys on the other side starting knocking us in the teeth. 

I don't like it. I know you don't want to get guys hurt but all we heard last year about JJ was that he was great in practice. Not only him but the team in general.