***Bo Nix Named 2019 Starting QB***

AuCivilEng1

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Can't make a decision based on this. But I do understand your premise.

Agreed. Notice I said that I was hoping Joey would edge it out... The best QB needs to be on the field.

Oh well. I'm behind Bo 100%. The positive side of this is that (assuming he does pan out) we'll have a 3 year starter at QB.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Bo is a very good QB. But I still worry about him producing in Malzahn's offense.

I worry about any QB producing in Malzahn's offense, partially because Malzahn has yet to decide what his offense is. But I'm as excited about Bo's chances as any guy we've had. He's a guy who could produce in any offense that is competently coached and adequately talented. 

Put another way, if we fail I don't think it will be Bo's fault. 

Just now, AUFriction said:

Agreed. Notice I said that I was hoping Joey would edge it out... The best QB needs to be on the field.

Oh well. I'm behind Bo 100%. The positive side of this is that (assuming he does pan out) we'll have a 3 year starter at QB.

Liking the pic you have there too

21 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I'd love to see Joey stay right here in Auburn, AL and contribute to this team! He's too good of an athlete for me to want to see him anywhere else. I think he'll have a big role on this team this season regardless of him being the starter or not. 

Amen..I hope JG does not feel that way at all at this point and keeps working. He waited a long long time to put on an Auburn uniform. I would hate to see anyone that was that was a loyal recruit for so long not keep trying.

3 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

Welp, I was wrong. I still think JG is a better choice for CGM's offense. That is especially true given all of the reports of drops from the

receiver's and the number of that group that are coming back from injuries. Anyway, JG just became the best quarterback on the team, without

question. The number two guy always is.

So Gus doesn’t know what’s the best option for his own offense? If that’s true, he’s got bigger problems than this. 

3 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

I get the "let's be patient/supportive of Bo's mistakes" sentiment trickling in here and agree with it insomuch as I would with any QB, freshman to senior who is bound to have moments of struggle over the course of a season.  I don't think he should be given any extra understanding just because he's a true freshman.  True freshmen the last decade have shown they're more than capable of leading teams to championships, and Bo just won what many have called the toughest QB competition Auburn has had in a long time.  Him coming out on top means he's a worthy QB1, regardless of age, and his talent/rise to this role should be above the "well, he is still learning..." crutch when/if he struggles.  Gus thinks he's found the guy who gives him the best shot at a championship.  Let's hope he's right!

I think for me is let this guy be the QB, directly speaking to the coaches. I don't want them just pulling him as soon as a mistake is made. There is a reason they chose him to lead this team has a TRUE freshman. You are right, there have been some recent freshman stepping up with a lot of outside help, I might add. Players got to execute big time.

I was going to make a thread but that felt too damn dramatic, so will just leave it here:

Gus clearly chose Bo for his arm talent over Gatewood’s power running game. It is apparent that Gus felt Nix was the QB too talented to be left off the field, so he won the competition fair and square. Thus, as a longtime Joey Gatewood fan I say congrats to Bo, and I’ll be rooting for him. 

With a great offensive minded coach, the proper training, and a seamless adaption of the playbook to Nix’s strengths, Nix can really succeed in today’s game. Nix is young, seems coachable, very talented, and the future is clearly bright. 

Now for Gatewood. He is a tough kid. He’s been through far worst adversity than this, and I have no doubt he will pick himself up. I hope he sticks around to see how everything shakes out, but if not, I’ll also be rooting for him wherever he goes. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I worry about any QB producing in Malzahn's offense, partially because Malzahn has yet to decide what his offense is. But I'm as excited about Bo's chances as any guy we've had. He's a guy who could produce in any offense that is competently coached and adequately talented. 

Put another way, if we fail I don't think it will be Bo's fault. 

Agree 100%. If the coach doesn't know what offense he wants to run, it leads him to recruit all different types of QB's. Gatewood seemed the part for a Malzahn offense, but he got beat out.

And if Bo doesn't strive in Malzahn's offense, he's not to blame. Kind of like how Stidham is thriving in Pats preseason being in an offense that fits his skill set.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I also hope Gus finds a way to keep Joey rotating onto the field. Even if it's not at the QB position, there are other places you can line him up. Kid is a freak athlete. I hope we use him.

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I was going to make a thread but that felt too damn dramatic, so will just leave it here:

Gus clearly chose Bo for his arm talent over Gatewood’s power running game. It is apparent that Gus felt Nix was the QB too talented to be left off the field, so he won the competition fair and square. Thus, as a longtime Joey Gatewood fan I say congrats to Bo, and I’ll be rooting for him. 

With a great offensive minded coach, the proper training, and a seamless adaption of the playbook to Nix’s strengths, Nix can really succeed in today’s game. Nix is young, seems coachable, very talented, and the future is clearly bright. 

Now for Gatewood. He is a tough kid. He’s been through far worst adversity than this, and I have no doubt he will pick himself up. I hope he sticks around to see how everything shakes out, but if not, I’ll also be rooting for him wherever he goes. 

Not the response most of you guys were looking for. RESPECT.

Aaahh!! My “Man Crush”. Congrats Bo. Now go Smack the quack!!!

Hats off to Bo. He won the competition. 

I just hope Joey doesn't get discouraged and transfer. He is an injury away from being the starter and can still possibly take the job... It's frankly irrelevant which QB took the first snap anyway.

9 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

regardless of age

In case you didn't know, Bo is actually older than Gatewood.

JG shouldn't leave yet because NOTHING is in stone, he should see how things play out. If Bo is the truth he should absolutely transfer, I don't see how you could know his story and not feel that way....he just lost a QB battle because a guy had a bunch more experience than him....he has a dream and only way he can chase it is if he plays. Period

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I also hope Gus finds a way to keep Joey rotating onto the field. Even if it's not at the QB position, there are other places you can line him up. Kid is a freak athlete. I hope we use him.

Yeah me too, but the reality of today’s competition is one wins, the other moves on. A 4 year pipe dream gone just like that.

Can’t believe the biased media pulling for Nix to start convinced Gus to give him the job.  All those false articles they printed.  Some on this board owe some apologies to our beat writers.

12 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

Welp, I was wrong. I still think JG is a better choice for CGM's offense. That is especially true given all of the reports of drops from the

receiver's and the number of that group that are coming back from injuries. Anyway, JG just became the best quarterback on the team, without

question. The number two guy always is.

Your bias is showing. Everyone that has attended the practices has said that Bo looks better. 

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Oddly Joey has never won the starting Qb job on a team, but has probably proven to be the most talented asset on offense during that time for his team.  I hope to see him used in that manner now as well, if that is something he still wants to do.  

2 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Your bias is showing. Everyone that has attended the practices has said that Bo looks better. 

You serious? 

Should he have put it in yellow font? Are you new to football? 

You have SERIOUSLY never heard it said that the "best" and "most popular player" on the team is the backup QB?

I'm speechless right now. You are the 2nd person to comment this way...

Maybe Bo and the offense will be so good that we can pull a Bama and bench him at half time, because we are up by so much, and put Joey in. 😂😂😂

Bo Won the competition. It was not handed to him. JG is a class act. Those saying he should transfer are jaded. Support both as both are AU men. Let’s watch as these two make each other better. SMH. The season can’t start soon enough. .......😒😒😒

This is just for game 1.  Bo will get first team reps to develop more timing and rhythm with 1st team guys.  I promise you if Nix struggles and Gatewood shines Gatewood May finish the game.  Flip that and if Nix balls out of control then Gatewood may not see the field as much.

we are gonna be undefeated heading into Death Valley with Bo I believe, if Gatewood had been named starter I was fearing atleast a five loss season no disrespect to Joey I just don't think he would've been the right choice as starter with this schedule

Archived