Is Auburn really the 7th best team?

AURex

I am not a CGM hater. On the other hand, I am not a blind sunshine pumper. I look for credible evidence, reasonable evaluation. Some people on this board (I will not name names) condemn me and love to throw stupid wrestling gifs at me because I don't pump enough sunshine. Do I care? No.

The question here is, does Auburn really deserve a #7 ranking (coaches poll) or #8 ranking (other polls)? Has Auburn actually demonstrated we are one of the top 8 teams in the country?

Ya know, it is really early in the season. I admit I do not know the answers to these questions. But from the discussions on this board, I don't think anyone is really expecting Auburn to win the SEC-W or be in the CFP. Could it happen? Yeah, maybe. And I would be thrilled if it happens!!!!

But looking at Nix so far, our RBs so far, our OL so far, the play calling by CGM so far ..............

The question is not "CAN Auburn win games?" Yes! Auburn can win games. The question is, does Auburn deserve to be ranked as the 7th best team in the country ..... NOW?

That last line won't fly here. Don't post things like that.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean,  I don't see it, but that "could " change in a few weeks. I think our Defense is getting the majority of the respect points currently. 

15 minutes ago, AURex said:

Some people on thios board (I will not name names) condemn me and love to throw  stupid wrestling gifs at me.

That made me literally LOL...  Nice delivery. 

As for the OP?  I agree with @DAG, there's no real sample size to go by yet.

As "blah" as I'm feeling about the start of the season there's several other power 5 teams' fanbases probably scratching their heads at this time as well.

Gus is Gus and will always be Gus.  We'll see where the chips fall, come December. 

just think of it this way, when we have most likely 4 losses at the end of the regular season would enough teams in D1 also share enough losses to go around that would land a 4 loss team in the top 10. (nobody bring up 2017) cause that aint happening again for us (and we were 10-2 at regular season). but still not #7. lower ranked teams always rise throughout the year. and vice versa for higher ranked teams dropping. we will be the latter. sorry just dont see it with this Oline. 

If you're talking about rankings by what has been done on the field, it's arguable Auburn is #2 or #3.  LSU has a better win and Clemson has one that may turn out to be about the same as AU's over Oregon.  But no one else in the country can make a case for best win but those three teams.

However at this moment, I do not believe we are the #7 team.  Probably closer to #15 based on performances that I've seen so far around the country.

1 hour ago, beaumak said:

just think of it this way, when we have most likely 4 losses at the end of the regular season would enough teams in D1 also share enough losses to go around that would land a 4 loss team in the top 10. (nobody bring up 2017) cause that aint happening again for us (and we were 10-2 at regular season). but still not #7. lower ranked teams always rise throughout the year. and vice versa for higher ranked teams dropping. we will be the latter. sorry just dont see it with this Oline. 

Nobody plays our schedule.

14 hours ago, AURex said:

I am not a CGM hater. On the other hand, I am not a blind sunshine pumper. I look for credible evidence, reasonable evaluation. Some people on this board (I will not name names) condemn me and love to throw stupid wrestling gifs at me because I don't pump enough sunshine. Do I care? No.

The question here is, does Auburn really deserve a #7 ranking (coaches poll) or #8 ranking (other polls)? Has Auburn actually demonstrated we are one of the top 8 teams in the country?

Ya know, it is really early in the season. I admit I do not know the answers to these questions. But from the discussions on this board, I don't think anyone is really expecting Auburn to win the SEC-W or be in the CFP. Could it happen? Yeah, maybe. And I would be thrilled if it happens!!!!

But looking at Nix so far, our RBs so far, our OL so far, the play calling by CGM so far ..............

The question is not "CAN Auburn win games?" Yes! Auburn can win games. The question is, does Auburn deserve to be ranked as the 7th best team in the country ..... NOW?

Edited - sto

I don't know where we deserve to be ranked yet nor do I care really. I will say this though, outside of Bama, UGA, LSU, OH ST, OU, and OSU, I don't know who may be better. I don't think UF is better than us at this point. I don't think Penn ST is better than us at this point. I don't think Michigan is better than us at this point. I think we have one of the top Def units in the country. I think we have an Offense that is struggling to find it's identity with a True Frosh QB. I think we will improve on Offense. I would say that is why we are being given the respect we are right now. We have 2 what may be the best 2 wins in the CFB. We will find an offensive Identity. We do most times. When we do we will be a force IMO. So I think in or around top 10 isn't a bad ranking.....for a ranking 2 weeks in which is stupid all together. 

Depends which camp you're in, polls predict the future or polls live in the present. (Which is funny to have to ask since the polls provide instructions for what votes mean but we all know that's widely ignored by non committee voters). Oregon's a very good team that will be in a New Years Day bowl if not the playoffs. Tulane has their best team in 21 years, will lose only 2 or 3 games and also go to a non joke bowl.

Let me suggest that other than Bama, oddly Auburn is the only fan board that would suggest this team doesn't deserve to be top 10 right now. 

14 hours ago, AURex said:

Edited - sto

Auburn is currently ranked as the 4th best SEC team in the AP poll and the 5th best SEC team in the Coaches Poll. It's really too early for polls but since we have them the ranking seems about right by those standards. 

1 hour ago, amsterjam said:

Sadly deep down inside we already know what our offensive identity will be. Ride RB#1 like a rented mule.

SHHHH....I am still living in a Utopian Paradise world where Gus is just holding his cards until SEC play and then we will see the most devastating Offensive attack we have ever seen with Power runs, TRUE Read Options, Play Action passes, Complex route trees with crossing patterns, levels concepts, and so much more. Just let me hold on to hopes for another 2 weeks before accepting the Tru Death. LOL

If the rankings are based on this season alone, then sure, we have one of the best wins and one the best defenses so far.  My initial reaction is no but as I look down the line of the Top 25, I can't find many I would definitely rank ahead of us.  Florida and Michigan are even more suspect than we are.  Texas may be better but they lost at home.  No PAC 12 team should be ranked above us.  Penn St and Wisconsin might be better but haven't played anybody.  Iowa and Michigan St, who knows?  They are as inconsistent as us from year to year.    

I'll say this, I think that a lot of past Auburn teams would absolutely clobber the top 10 teams over the last few years. The dramatic increase in players leaving early for the NFL has decreased the quality of teams across the board. Even in 2010 I don't think that team could have handled 2004 Auburn. So when ESPN's idiotic self starts making rankings of the top 150 teams of all time and has 2018 Clemson in the top 5 I can't help but feel completely repulsed.

Roughly 144 underclassmen left for the 2019 draft. Theoretically, that's the top 144 players who could have returned for 1-2 more seasons (hell 3 if one year was a medical redshirt). That's a tremendous amount of a talent drop off from what it would be back when the vast majority of players finished all 4 years (and a lot redshirted for a year).

TL;DR the top 10 from the late 90's and early 00's would destroy the current and future top 10's so while Auburn may be weaker than past teams it's not too far off par for current teams. While I don't think we're great I struggle to find 15+ teams that I think would legitimately beat us without a shadow of doubt.

I certainly think it’s cool to have a high ranking and looks good out beside our name on Saturday, but like others have said, it’s pretty pointless. I’d rather be 7 or 8 right now for sure but I just can’t imagine we’ll end up like that with this team and this schedule. I’m enjoying while it lasts. 

5 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

No rankings should be released until about mid season when enough data is present, but preseason rankings sell magazines/website subscriptions and feed call-in shows etc...

I think after week 3 but agreed the preseason rankings do more harm than good because all of the movement is determined from them. So if a team was overrated and gets upset, then the team that beat them gets credit, and so on and so on. Either they introduce college preseason games or we wait until at least week 3 to dull out rankings.

10 hours ago, AURex said:

That last line won't fly here. Don't post things like that.

Yep.....and that's the bottom line cause kevon67 said so.........not really a wrestling gif per say😁

10 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I think after week 3 but agreed the preseason rankings do more harm than good because all of the movement is determined from them. So if a team was overrated and gets upset, then the team that beat them gets credit, and so on and so on. Either they introduce college preseason games or we wait until at least week 3 to dull out rankings.

doesn't it usually pan out in the end?    most if not all the teams left standing have 0-1 losses and strength of schedule.   i just wish the BCS ranking formula was kept in place instead of the committee selecting the best 3 teams.     The human factor will always be the flaw. 

I would lean towards no, but really the only teams that I think we would for sure lose to are Clemson, Bama, UGA, LSU, OSU, Texas, and OU. 

Everyone behind those teams are just chasing. So with our Oregon win, we might as well be there. It won't last, but for now it is what it is. 

With the way all the major conferences handle OOC and conference game scheduling, it usually takes 4-6 weeks to get a real feel for how teams are. Auburn being in the top 10 is a combination of the value of the Oregon win and teams above us losing. 

Our defense barring injury will keep us in every game we play. Offense is still clearly looking for an identity. Kent State is looking pretty bad in preventing explosive plays so our offense should be able to produce this weekend. Not sure if anyone looks at S&P rankings but they have Tulanes Defense ranked ahead of LSU. Not saying that’s accurate, but this weekend will be a good measuring stick of where we are at on offense. If still lack identity and are unable to produce explosive plays, it may be time to worry. 

Archived