The family of 4-star tight end Brandon Frazier is a close-knit group. In fact, according to Frazier both sets of grandparents live fairly close to his home in McKinney, Texas.

Knowing the importance of family in Frazier’s life, Auburn made sure during a recent trip to Texas by Tigers coach Gus Malzahn, offensive coordinator Chad Morris and tight ends coach Larry Porter to not only spend time with the 4-star tight end’s parents, but with their parents as well.

“They love supporting me and watching me play,” Frazier said. “When Coach Malzahn, Coach Porter and Coach Morris came down, they wanted to meet my grandparents — both sets of grandparents.”

It turned out to be a smart move.

“After that, all of my grandparents kind of told me, ‘If you go here, it’s perfectly fine. We’ll know you’ll be taken care of,'" Frazier recalled.

The 6-feet-7, 249-pound Frazier, the No. 9 tight end nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite, committed to the Tigers on Jan. 30. For the Tigers, Frazier is a significant addition to what is becoming a stout tight ends room.

At North High last season, Frazier had 40 catches for 879 yards and 7 touchdowns. He not only can stretch the field vertically and make an opposing defense account for him at all times, he’s a promising blocker. But while blocking is part of the game — and Frazier doesn’t mind doing it — he wants to catch passes.

That’s why he once was committed to Arkansas and its former coach, Morris, who is known for utilizing that position in the passing game. It’s also why he strongly considered Texas Tech, which also throws to the tight end. As those two programs pushed, so did Auburn's Porter.

“Me and Coach Porter already had a really strong relationship, but just knowing Coach Morris was there — that’s someone I’ve known for a couple of years and I trust,” Frazier said. “He will take care of me on and off the field. My whole family knows him. Him being at Auburn was really important. I was already considering them even without him. Once he got there, it almost sealed the deal.”

In the end, Frazier chose Auburn over Arkansas. Admittedly, proximity from home was strongly considered. Arkansas is 4 hours, 45 minutes away. Then, you have Auburn, which is an 11-hour drive. But once his family signed off on the Tigers, Frazier was all in.

“I think it’s the right decision for me,” he said. “I’m happy with it. I’m ready to get on campus.:”

At Arkansas, Frazier knew many of the commits well. That hasn’t been the case at Auburn.

But Tigers quarterback Bo Nix and some teammates worked to make Frazier feel at home during his official visit in January — and after it as well.

“Bo has been texting me almost every day, we’re Snapchatting each other and just building that relationship,” Frazier said.

After Frazier arrives at Auburn this summer, he hopes to build an on-field connection with Nix, too.

“I think he’s a really talented player,” Frazier said. “A really talented team as well. What he did as a freshman is unreal. I know he’s going to have a great couple of years. Playing with him will be fun.”