OC: Mike Bobo

W.E.D

I will take a wait and see approach on Bobo.  He had some fine years at UGA, but that was like 10 years ago.

He is an ace recruiter, though.  He knows Georgia recruiting like the back of his hand.  He was born and raised in southwest GA and played at UGA. He has hauled in a ton of 4 and 5 star recruits in his days at various stops. He has developed some of the most prolific passers in the SEC (at least before LSU and Bama's recent offenses).  He coached Matthew Stafford who is a long time NFL starter.

So I think Harsin sees "QB developer" and "SEC recruiter" when he looks at Bobo. Also Harsin coached against Bobo for several years at Boise when Bobo was CSU's HC. They had quite a few interesting and high-scoring games against each other and Harsin said back then how much he respects Bobo.

Bobo will probably bring in at least one more guy from USCe. The USCe people are not happy with AU right now. :cool:

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kinda feels like we are building 2014 UGA on the offensive side of the ball. 10-3 squad that didn't score less than 20 points. Put up 45 on Clemson, 34 on a good Missouri team, 34 on us

44 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Absolutely. He had no desire to grow or identify new, better ways of doing things. He didn't want other opinions in the room. It was his undoing. 

Man we think alike. This is exactly what I said, I was done when he was on that he's not worried about what anybody else does crap. That's so stupid to say, especially in football. 

Then when you think about how he even came into this. He caught people off guard and ran circles around them. Why would he think he should keep learning is beyond me

I know he didnt say anything about beating the bamzos in his press conference but I have to believe when putting this staff together, that was almost entirely the focus in each interview. 

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Exactly. And if Plan A didn't work, it's not because it was the wrong plan. It's because his staff and players didn't execute it properly. 

For his sake, I hope he realizes what went wrong, and reboots his career.  I do not expect that he will, and I am not entirely sure he is even capable of it.  If not, he could probably still have success at a G5 or FCS program.  Either way, I would be surprised if he ever gets a head coach job at Auburn's level again.

Just now, Strychnine said:

For his sake, I hope he realizes what went wrong, and reboots his career.  I do not expect that he will, and I am not entirely sure he is even capable of it.  If not, he could probably still have success at a G5 or FCS program.  Either way, I would be surprised if he ever gets a head coach job at Auburn's level again.

Yeah. I could see him installing a system at a smaller school and winning with it again. I couldn't imagine him being the head coach at a big time program again. Not unless it's a rehab job on a school coming off probation or something. I continue to give him a world of credit for cleaning up Chizik's mess and instilling a truly enviable culture here. We graduated our kids and kept them out of trouble, and won a handful of really big games along the way. I could a lower level P5 team signing up for that. 

57 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

And 8 and 4 seasons are what lost him his job. That, ego and adaptability. 

But in the end, it didn't really cost him a ton. I think big time college coaches know that even if they fail horribly, there will still be a big, golden parachute from their contract buyout that will make sure they land on their feet.

+ Just being a coach at a big program is usually enough to land another decent job later. 

big time college coaching is one of those careers you can really 'fall forwards' in.    

2 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

But in the end, it didn't really cost him a ton. I think big time college coaches know that even if they fail horribly, there will still be a big, golden parachute from their contract buyout that will make sure they land on their feet.

+ Just being a coach at a big program is usually enough to land another decent job later. 

big time college coaching is one of those careers you can really 'fall forwards' in.    

You are right about that. Paid millions even if you are just mediocre.  I do think his rep as a so called offensive genius has taken a beating the last few years though. 

Seems like Our offense is a hodgepodge of coaches at first glance.  But having heard Harsin mention the word "Versatile" so many times I think I am seeing a pattern.

In it's simplest form. 

warning:   Struggling to put this into words.  I haven't had much sleep he past 35 hours.  Rambling of a bored overtired mind and 90% bullsheet below...

This may be WAY too complicated for college ball, but...  

Coaches that Harsin is bringing in seem to be  "experts" at specific styles often with overlapping fields of expertise (esp in position coaching).   Some with conflicting styles.   

i.e.  Lets say we bring in a prostyle run first OC (co OC) to coach RBs, and offensive philosophy to the rest of the O.   We also bring in an OC (co OC) that excels at a spread /west coast style guy to coach WRs and also general philosophy to the O.   

BOTH  with QB coaching and  experience in their styles.  With Harsin -  3 QB coaches.  Versatility. 

Harsin style:  A mesh of both/ any and all styles.  If we have an expert in that field it is fair game in the offense.  A slight emphasis on one style over the other depending on who we play.  

Now if Harsin wants to be THIS versatile,  I am thinking  we will see a lot of strange things in this new Offense.  Depending on who we play and their weakness.  We may see smash mouth, intricate spread, run and gun,  fun and gun, QB under center,  QB in shotgun,  QB/wildcat,   some wishbone,  "I",    etc.,  all in the same game. 

Hope that made at least a little sense. 

59 minutes ago, KnowItAll said:

I think Harsin sees "QB developer" and "SEC recruiter" when he looks at Bobo.

That is my theory. That is probably why Bobo was mentioned as a possible Steele OC. Steele said they needed a QB developer. The recruiting aspect is excellent as well.

20 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Seems like Our offense is a hodgepodge of coaches at first glance.  But having heard Harsin mention the word "Versatile" so many times I think I am seeing a pattern.

In it's simplest form. 

warning:   Struggling to put this into words.  I haven't had much sleep he past 35 hours.  Rambling of a bored overtired mind and 90% bullsheet below...

This may be WAY too complicated for college ball, but...  

Coaches that Harsin is bringing in seem to be  "experts" at specific styles often with overlapping fields of expertise (esp in position coaching).   Some with conflicting styles.   

i.e.  Lets say we bring in a prostyle run first OC (co OC) to coach RBs, and offensive philosophy to the rest of the O.   We also bring in an OC (co OC) that excels at a spread /west coast style guy to coach WRs and also general philosophy to the O.   

BOTH  with QB coaching and  experience in their styles.  With Harsin -  3 QB coaches.  Versatility. 

Harsin style:  A mesh of both/ any and all styles.  If we have an expert in that field it is fair game in the offense.  A slight emphasis on one style over the other depending on who we play.  

Now if Harsin wants to be THIS versatile,  I am thinking  we will see a lot of strange things in this new Offense.  Depending on who we play and their weakness.  We may see smash mouth, intricate spread, run and gun,  fun and gun, QB under center,  QB in shotgun,  QB/wildcat,   some wishbone,  "I",    etc.,  all in the same game. 

I'm not a coach and I don't particularly go around looking to shoot holes in theories.  Having said that, you only get so much time at the beginning of Spring ball and Fall camp to do installs.  Trying to run that many systems within a single week/game would be maddening and hard to teach to a bunch of 18-21 year-olds.  Just my opinion. I could be wrong and oftentimes have been.

Trying to look at the best case scenario. I would guess Harsin is going to be a lot more involved in the Offense than the Defense, with Mason on that side. What would a marriage of the two offenses look like.  Harsin  could have his concepts merged into Bobo’s system to give it the attributes that we are all excited about with Harsin coming in. Anybody with more knowledge of the two systems know how well they would merge schematically?

14 minutes ago, Britt in GA said:

I'm not a coach and I don't particularly go around looking to shoot holes in theories.  Having said that, you only get so much time at the beginning of Spring ball and Fall camp to do installs.  Trying to run that many systems within a single week/game would be maddening and hard to teach to a bunch of 18-21 year-olds.  Just my opinion. I could be wrong and oftentimes have been.

I agree.  it may be way to complex for college.  May not be possible at any level.  I have no idea.   I picture it more like one big system with the best parts of each philosophy, and an understanding of why and how.   

43 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

It makes sense to me. And here’s my additional insight. Just a few years ago a specific and well designed scheme was crucial.(triple option, zone read, HUNH, pro)  But with rule changes and every team having an army of video analysts, every style can be exploited and countered. More than ever, flexibility and agility for change and adaption, sometimes week to week, are the most important traits. It looks like Harsin knows that and is assembling a collection of coaches who can execute it. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

installing a system at a smaller school and winning with it again

All he had to do was recruit players that could play multiple positions and do like Kiffin/Lebby did at OM. Run pace with multiple formations without substitutions. It was that damn simple,even with Gus's 6 play playbook

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Me too, 100%

If Derek Mason is a homerun, which I believe he is, then Bobo is a solid triple and rounding third IMO for a number of reasons. 

1st- Proven QB developer. We haven't had this for over a decade. 

2nd- I think with Harsin being involved in the offense as well, this is a good mixture. 

3rd- People act like Bobo is trash for what reason? They point to his lone year at SCAR. They point to what UGA fans say. You can't trust leghumpers period. If you look at his offenses at UGA and then even look at his offenses at CSU he had good offenses even though he wasn't a great HC. 

4th and IMO the biggest- Recruiting. Nick Saban once told Mal Moore that he was getting a sh#tty coach that would recruit better than everybody. Need I say more. With where our roster is at, I believe having ACE recruiters is the most important thing right now. Get the dudes here. Once we have the quality bodies in place, if CBH isn't happy with the coaching and results, then go after a better x's and o's guy. I have read this board for the last decade of people saying we are getting beat recruiting on all fronts...falling further and further behind. Well, this is how you stop the fall and start climbing. Same goes for Will Friend. 

So far, I rate this staff as a solid B+ with potential to bump up to A depending how the dominoes fall. 

56 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

If Derek Mason is a homerun, which I believe he is, then Bobo is a solid triple and rounding third IMO for a number of reasons. 

1st- Proven QB developer. We haven't had this for over a decade. 

2nd- I think with Harsin being involved in the offense as well, this is a good mixture. 

3rd- People act like Bobo is trash for what reason? They point to his lone year at SCAR. They point to what UGA fans say. You can't trust leghumpers period. If you look at his offenses at UGA and then even look at his offenses at CSU he had good offenses even though he wasn't a great HC. 

4th and IMO the biggest- Recruiting. Nick Saban once told Mal Moore that he was getting a sh#tty coach that would recruit better than everybody. Need I say more. With where our roster is at, I believe having ACE recruiters is the most important thing right now. Get the dudes here. Once we have the quality bodies in place, if CBH isn't happy with the coaching and results, then go after a better x's and o's guy. I have read this board for the last decade of people saying we are getting beat recruiting on all fronts...falling further and further behind. Well, this is how you stop the fall and start climbing. Same goes for Will Friend. 

So far, I rate this staff as a solid B+ with potential to bump up to A depending how the dominoes fall. 

Yeah, I think I tend to agree with yours and JBoy's assessment. His biggest fault is his play calling. We might need to be ready to have a few more facepalms in that department, but at least it'll be sporadic bad play calls being executed by blue chip guys. I have to wonder if Harsin has a long-term strategy here where his first hires will be about getting guys who can recruit and develop, then when the opportunity comes available to get a guy who is also a stellar X's and O's type, he makes a change and brings them on board.

I definitely like where this staff is headed from a recruiting standpoint. Several carry-overs from Boise will help recruit the west. Bobo has SCar and GA ties, Friend from TN/SCar, Mason also west coast and tennessee. I like the footprint Harsin is building a lot. But I still can't help but wonder about Bobo as a playcaller. Time will tell.

This is a very good hire. In order of importance we needed a recruiter, QB developer, and someone who could seamlessly mesh with Harsin. Checks the boxes folks, with a proven guy who's a former HC as well. 

Don't get so caught up in the weeds. He was a successful playcaller under another offensive minded HC. Bobo ain't going about it solo.

5 minutes ago, Jaba4ever said:

I definitely like where this staff is headed from a recruiting standpoint. Several carry-overs from Boise will help recruit the west. Bobo has SCar and GA ties, Friend from TN/SCar, Mason also west coast and tennessee. I like the footprint Harsin is building a lot. But I still can't help but wonder about Bobo as a playcaller. Time will tell.

Friend was at Georgia as OL coach for several years as well.

Doubt Harsin will put up with bad playcalling for more than one game. Probably won’t see the same play run in a game more than a couple times.

12 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

His biggest fault is his play calling. We might need to be ready to have to more facepalms in that department,

How many face palm’s have you had over the last five years watching gus or somebody else in this offense call plays? How many times did you want To punch the TV after picking up a first down and then running it up the middle for a yard? Over and over

Archived