BO and TJ

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I don’t know if anybody said JG was better than Bo. What people were asking for was this above. There was no reason in the UF game that JG couldn’t see the field, even in situational moments. 

I'm sure someone said that somewhere along the way. Unfortunately due to Gus, no one ever saw if JG was better in certain situations, which is what we were awaiting with the '"package" that was designed for him. He probably wouldn't have been better overall but there is no way he could have done worse than Bo against Florida. I'm always of the mindset that a loss is a loss no matter the point difference. I'm feeling confident that Harsin will make a change if he thinks it might spark the team. 

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I actually can’t find anything in concrete about who’s the starter, but the signs (from what I see) point to this Levis kid from PSU. But you can go on Twitter and search away and it’s not etched in stone who’s first or second yet. The Beau guy also has his own hat in the race as starter. 
Anyway, I don’t think most people were concerned with him being a backup, most people were wondering why he was locked to the bench when the starter looked atrocious and more than anything, looked shaken. It doesn’t matter how bad the back up is, you can’t allow that to happen 

and as evidenced, throwing the kid to the wolves resulted in compounded damage during similar situations the next season 

What's hilarious is can anybody really say if Bo went to Kentucky he wouldn't be in the same predicament? I think the randoms that come and try to told you so about Bo is hilarious.....this is a brand new excuse....now Bo was given control of the offense and was left to call audibles 😂 learning all of these new offenses.....because Gus didn't have anything to do with play calling anymore🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

What's hilarious is can anybody really say if Bo went to Kentucky he wouldn't be in the same predicament? I think the randoms that come and try to told you so about Bo is hilarious.....this is a brand new excuse....now Bo was given control of the offense and was left to call audibles 😂 learning all of these new offenses.....because Gus didn't have anything to do with play calling anymore🙄

Yeah I mean, Bo behind that OL (which was supposed to be better than ours but ended up being pretty meh) with virtually no skill position talent…I don’t think it’d be roses lol 

• 3 weeks later...

Didnt want to start a new thread. I found this video about Bo tonight and it gave me a little hope that he's closer, than I give him credit, to being good. Nick Brahms is still missing assignments just like the UGA game though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Didnt want to start a new thread. I found this video about Bo tonight and it gave me a little hope that he's closer, than I give him credit, to being good. Nick Brahms is still missing assignments just like the UGA game though.

I think the same way as the video, in that Bo has all the tools and fball IQ to be a great player for us. Those tweaks to his mechanics should come with the coaching he’s getting now and it can only help his completion %.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, toddc said:

I think the same way as the video, in that Bo has all the tools and fball IQ to be a great player for us. Those tweaks to his mechanics should come with the coaching he’s getting now and it can only help his completion %.

huh! If Bo had a fball IQ he would be talked about from the talking heads and Auburn may not be predicted 5th in the west div, having a fball IQ will make you see and want to correct your flaws, and I'm not so sure Bo can read defenses.

12 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

huh! If Bo had a fball IQ he would be talked about from the talking heads and Auburn may not be predicted 5th in the west div, having a fball IQ will make you see and want to correct your flaws, and I'm not so sure Bo can read defenses.

"We have a national championship quality QB. Now we need to add a few pieces around him and we'll be set." The late Pat Dye.

Don't know how good JG might have been, he was never given a fighter's chance in games. Neither was Willis.

That staff is gone now. Time to move on and hope for the best from here on out.

• Like 1

Nice video and very informing. I've got my issues with Bo, but he does seem to have that "runts try harder" mentality that leads him to play superman ball. 

Hopefully Bobo can get him reigned in with the mechanics and he hits his potential that many believe that he has. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

I'll be interested to see how sharp he looks after being coached by a real QB coach. I think you and I agree on how bad the previous staff was in this regard, so I'll hold out hope on him. If it's the same Bo with a different coaching staff, then it's probably time to move on. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I'll be interested to see how sharp he looks after being coached by a real QB coach. I think you and I agree on how bad the previous staff was in this regard, so I'll hold out hope on him. If it's the same Bo with a different coaching staff, then it's probably time to move on. 

And I certainly believe they will if they believe they should ( they will see everyone in practice so know where they stand).

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

Huh!   Not sure I care about what the 'talking heads' say, to be honest. 

I don't care to break down your post, but let's agree to disagree.  Bo has tremendous upside (tools and experience) after two seasons (one being a covid year with mostly ZOOM practices) and is one of a 2  QBs to beat the vaunted bama program since 2018.  The other won the heisman. 

I also think  we finally have a HC and staff that may be able to help a QB improve.   Not one QB got better from year 1 to year 2 under the previous staff.  Not one....that fact looms large and stands on it's own.  

But as I said, if the staff pulls Bo and puts in Finley at some point, I will trust their judgment until they keep doing stupid things again and again and again. 

Case in point -  Huh, I think I recall Bo was put in position to use the audible system to change plays at UF, on the road, 2 yrs ago as a true freshman...and they stuck with that for both halfs. And we still had a chance to win that game in the 4th.  See what I mean?  How much of that debacle was Bo vs Gus?   IDK

Edited by Beaker

5 hours ago, toddc said:

Agree.  Combined with his elite athleticism that is undeniable (well to everyone except @cole256and @DAG 😉), we might have a kid that's focused, having fun, & I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a dark horse for the Heisman.

Edited by W.E.D
  • Haha 2

As far as Bo goes it will forever be people who over rate him and people who say he sucks. That's just life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

As far as Bo goes it will forever be people who over rate him and people who say he sucks. That's just life.

I'd hope that it goes one way or the other this year.  He can't continue to be a marginal player and start for this team.  He'll have 5-6 Quarters of hopefully the full offense and TJ will have 2-3 prior to the PSU game.  It's gonna be wild if Bo is 60% for those 6 while TJ seems to light it up...the screams of the ones who says he sucks will grow really loud.

If Bobo/Harsin can fix TJ's decision making/INTs and feel comfortable with him, I think he'll start the 2nd half of the PSU game if Bo continues to struggle

Edited by W.E.D

1 hour ago, eaglenest said:

in fairness to bo covid under gus hurt him i think. he said as much without throwing gus under the bus and just do not believe the kid is a liar. i think if he gets real coaching he improves quite a bit. i am just not sold on how much coaching up he received during covid and his second year but that is my own opinion. i will believe that until someone proves me wrong.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'd hope that it goes one way or the other this year.  He can't continue to be a marginal player and start for this team.  He'll have 5-6 Quarters of hopefully the full offense and TJ will have 2-3 prior to the PSU game.  It's gonna be wild if Bo is 60% for those 6 while TJ seems to light it up...the screams of the ones who says he sucks will grow really loud.

If Bobo/Harsin can fix TJ's decision making/INTs and feel comfortable with him, I think he'll start the 2nd half of the PSU game if Bo continues to struggle

You see I have the luxury of being the person who told everybody what was going on with Bo. But the downside is people think I hate him. And that's not true at all. If nothing else I want him to succeed so the team would succeed.  To be honest I don't think he can lead a championship team......But if I'm surprised I'll take it. 

The scary thing about Bo is imo he just wasn't good at passing and let's be real that's the most important thing a QB does. And when I say wasn't good I'm talking not as good as Marshall and many say he wasn't a QB. But if he can become even average I'll take it because it means he at least put in work finally.

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You see I have the luxury of being the person who told everybody what was going on with Bo. But the downside is people think I hate him. And that's not true at all. If nothing else I want him to succeed so the team would succeed.  To be honest I don't think he can lead a championship team......But if I'm surprised I'll take it. 

The scary thing about Bo is imo he just wasn't good at passing and let's be real that's the most important thing a QB does. And when I say wasn't good I'm talking not as good as Marshall and many say he wasn't a QB. But if he can become even average I'll take it because it means he at least put in work finally.

i like bo but i am old school where i want the best we have to play,period. i still the the kid from texas is our future and once the game slows down for him he takes huge steps. my worry is he might not fit what harsin is looking for. texas is bigger than a lot of countries i cannot help but believe their high school teams would be better than the teams in different states except maybe alabama and one or two more.

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You remember N Marshall led us to a NC game and was statistically better passing in 2014, right? 

Nick was rated 12th in Total QB rating in 2013 and 3rd nationally in 2014.   I would contend Nick is the most  under appreciated QB in Auburn history considering what he accomplished and how much he is recognized for such.  

No, Bo is not in the top 12 or top 3 nationally in QB rating.   But let's not make Nick out to be some kind of hack or 'just a CB playing QB' - that is kind of disingenuous.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

You remember N Marshall led us to a NC game and was statistically better passing in 2014, right? 

Nick was rated 12th in Total QB rating in 2013 and 3rd nationally in 2014.   I would contend Nick is the most  under appreciated QB in Auburn history considering what he accomplished and how much he is recognized for such.  

No, Bo is not in the top 12 or top 3 nationally in QB rating.   But let's not make Nick out to be some kind of hack or 'just a CB playing QB' - that is kind of disingenuous.   

Yeah.....You don't know but most know that I am one of the biggest Marshall guys on this site. My point is his weakness was also throwing the ball but he was better at it than our QB now. And if you focus even more that Bo was particularly horrible at passing down field.....well that makes it even harder on himself. A QB that's not a threat to hurt you downfield has to be Damn near perfect to complete every throw.

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i like bo but i am old school where i want the best we have to play,period. i still the the kid from texas is our future and once the game slows down for him he takes huge steps. my worry is he might not fit what harsin is looking for. texas is bigger than a lot of countries i cannot help but believe their high school teams would be better than the teams in different states except maybe alabama and one or two more.

I don't want to derail this thread, but D Davis is a very special QB and what impresses me most is he just kept winning at the HIGHEST level in Texas football, every single year.   This is after everyone had the book on him and knew what he could do.  I think he won state twice and almost a 3rd time (Bird would know) this yr -  and yeah, lots of great programs in the state with a lot of talent and talented coaches that tried to stop him. 

I am afraid you are right, D Davis may never play at Auburn. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Yeah.....You don't know but most know that I am one of the biggest Marshall guys on this site. My point is his weakness was also throwing the ball but he was better at it than our QB now. And if you focus even more that Bo was particularly horrible at passing down field.....well that makes it even harder on himself. A QB that's not a threat to hurt you downfield has to be Damn near perfect to complete every throw.

100% right, the entire field was not available to Bo and it was a lot easier to choke or smother our receivers with our scheme (routes).  Couple that with OL play or tendencies and Bo's quick feet (to scramble or prematurely leave the pocket),  our passing game was quite limited and maybe easy to defend. 

Glad we both appreciate Nick Marshall.   Can you imagine if he had some publicity in 2013 - Nick very may have won the Heisman.  Auburn was such a darkhorse to even be ranked in Sep!   But then again, FSU was a media darling and Fisher kept most of Winston's off the field stuff under wraps until after the NC game.  Maybe not...

Edited by Beaker

Don’t care about Uber athleticism. One of the least things I worry about. If people want to say Bo is Uber athletic that is fine. He will be added to those other uber athletic QBs asked to change positions because they can’t do the simple things right.

I want a QB who is going to do the simple things right. I am sick of hearing that his mechanics go to s*** because he doesn’t trust his line. That is a lazy excuse. Go look up the Allen brothers at Arkansas. They had some terrible lines there, yet they stood in the pocket, delivered and got hit. Guess what? You want to be the man? The guys drafted early typically have terrible lines at the pro level. Using that as excuse for bad QB play won’t cut it there. 

So I don’t care who the QB is, control what you can control and do the right things. Stay in the pocket , don’t throw unnecessary interceptions (T.J.), stop throwing off your backfoot ( BO). Time to start keeping these players accountable just like everyone else 

• Like 3

Here's my thing with Bo. We know we need to look competent on offense this year for a variety of reasons. Recruits seeing Harsin knows what he's doing, fan support, good ole boy/new Pres/potential new AD support, etc. While Bo may have the athleticism and potential to thrive, he also has the weaknesses/mentality to tank what should be an actually competent Harsin and Bobo offense.

Harsin and Bobo like game manager, pocket passing, statue quarterbacks that make the right reads and plays. We can debate the reasons, but whether we like it or not, Bo has been the opposite of that so far. He likes to play hero ball. So, the question is can he be reprogrammed to play like a Kyle Trask, Mac Jones, or even a Stidham, or will he keep trying to play hero ball.