BO and TJ

aubiefifty

21 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Bo is going to SEC Media Days - taking that as a sign for opening day.

I mean, it was pretty clear he was going to be the opening day starter.  We'll see if he finished the season

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

You see I have the luxury of being the person who told everybody what was going on with Bo. But the downside is people think I hate him. And that's not true at all. If nothing else I want him to succeed so the team would succeed.  To be honest I don't think he can lead a championship team......But if I'm surprised I'll take it. 

The scary thing about Bo is imo he just wasn't good at passing and let's be real that's the most important thing a QB does. And when I say wasn't good I'm talking not as good as Marshall and many say he wasn't a QB. But if he can become even average I'll take it because it means he at least put in work finally.

I told everyone my opinion of what was going on, many disagreed.  That's fine.

I don't think you hate him & I'm being sarcastic about the elite athlete.  He's a very good athlete for the QB spot, but yes that isn't the most important thing. 

I think the last sentence is a bit of a stretch.  You think he hasn't been a hard worker?  People can work hard and everything doesn't click until later in their career.

38 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I don't think you hate him & I'm being sarcastic about the elite athlete.  He's a very good athlete for the QB spot, but yes that isn't the most important thing. 

I think the last sentence is a bit of a stretch.  You think he hasn't been a hard worker?  People can work hard and everything doesn't click until later in their career.

I'm still hoping for a Jason Campbell like turnaround.  The thing is though, Jason was always an accurate passer, the game just seemed to move to fast for him and he would get tunnel vision.  Bo seems to be the opposite -  the game has never seemed too big for him, but he is not accurate.

14 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I'm still hoping for a Jason Campbell like turnaround.  The thing is though, Jason was always an accurate passer, the game just seemed to move to fast for him and he would get tunnel vision.  Bo seems to be the opposite -  the game has never seemed too big for him, but he is not accurate.

Yeah and he's not going to be our QB for long if he keeps only passing at 60%.  I think/hope better offense design & better coaching will make everyone better.

51 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I feel like I look at Bo the way I look at Ben Simmons as far as basketball. I feel like one or two things he's weak on can be improved significantly with repetition, just taking time out. I feel like that when jg was here that's why he improved out of the blue, he didn't have reps, he was in the oc's dog house but just working by himself he made a bunch of noise. I wanted to see something like that out of Bo.

And I'm saying this from the outside so I could be completely wrong, so just from the outside it looks as if he's had a bunch given to him. I want to see him out work everybody now. And once again this is what it looked like to me, I'm not one of the chosen few you can't question. I could be wrong.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I feel like I look at Bo the way I look at Ben Simmons as far as basketball. I feel like one or two things he's weak on can be improved significantly with repetition, just taking time out. I feel like that when jg was here that's why he improved out of the blue, he didn't have reps, he was in the oc's dog house but just working by himself he made a bunch of noise. I wanted to see something like that out of Bo.

And I'm saying this from the outside so I could be completely wrong, so just from the outside it looks as if he's had a bunch given to him. I want to see him out work everybody now. And once again this is what it looked like to me, I'm not one of the chosen few you can't question. I could be wrong.

Jason Campbell also went from an awful coach (Nall) to a good one.  Was young when Petrino was here.

He's definitely privileged, but I believe he's always been considered a hard work in years past and Harsin pointed it out as well

Just now, W.E.D said:

Jason Campbell also went from an awful coach (Nall) to a good one.  Was young when Petrino was here.

He's definitely privileged, but I believe he's always been considered a hard work in years past and Harsin pointed it out as well

I think it's exaggerated how awful he Campbell was, and it's important what he was awful at. Bo has a bunch of work at the foundation level. We will have to be able to push the ball down the field. But we'll see and I hope for the best. 

• Like 1

Jason was lights out better his Senior year, but how much of that was his development vs the system change to the "Gulf Coast Offense" and the addition of Borges?  Who knows? Maybe something similar will happen to Bo.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I think it's exaggerated how awful he Campbell was, and it's important what he was awful at. Bo has a bunch of work at the foundation level. We will have to be able to push the ball down the field. But we'll see and I hope for the best. 

Huh?  Hugh Nall wasn't that awful or JC?  Was talking about Nall.  

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Bo only had to beat Joey.    Joey was QB3 at Kentucky in 2020, in a run heavy offense.  

For whatever reason, Joey couldn't figure out the Malzhan offense.   He looked lost on passing plays the way I remember it.   He almost never got to pass and develop when he did go in, early on.  Were there trust issues with Joey before Bo even got to Auburn?    I believe so.     I 100% believe Gus developed this whole Joey vs Bo QB competition hype to push Bo and to try to keep Joey on the roster. 

Bo has never really been pushed by another QB at Auburn.  Privileged?   Lucky?   Anointed?    Who cares - I just hope Finely gets a legit shot and when called upon, does great.    Nothing wrong with having two good QBs (and I do expect Bo to become much better this year).  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I think I might have misread your post.  You're talking about Joey Gatewood?  I'm not sure where he's improved out of the blue

47 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Jason was lights out better his Senior year, but how much of that was his development vs the system change to the "Gulf Coast Offense" and the addition of Borges?  Who knows? Maybe something similar will happen to Bo.

I think that was the first yr we ran Caddy and Ronnie out of the same backfield.    You know having 2 of the top 5 players in the NFL draft playing with you, on offense probably helped a little.   

Jason benefited from Tubs not trying to keep Nall and Ensminger happy,  letting Borges run his offense, Caddy and Brown both returning and of course another year of experience.   It was the perfect storm of change and strengths for Campbell to navigate through.  And he did that wonderfully. 

Bo Nix does not have any of those attributes on this team.   But, if he can improve like Jason did - celebrate!

Edited by Beaker
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I think that was the first yr we ran Caddy and Ronnie out of the same backfield.    You know having 2 of the top 5 players in the NFL draft playing with you, on offense probably helped a little.   

Jason benefited from Tubs not trying to keep Nall and Ensminger happy,  letting Borges run his offense, Caddy and Brown both returning and of course another year of experience.   It was the perfect storm of change and strengths for Campbell to navigate through.  And he did that wonderfully. 

Bo Nix does not have any of those attributes on this team.   But, if he can improve like Jason did - celebrate!

What Bo has is a new staff with Harsin, Bobo and Mason. He'll have Tank and Worm in the backfield and some talent at WR and TE. Hopefully he'll be more suited to this style of offense and get some decent QB coaching from Bobo. No, it isn't the same scenario nor does he have the level of talent that '04 team had across the board, including OL.  However, perhaps the new regime and scheme change will be what the doctor ordered. Just from the Spring alone, we finally saw RB's and TE's featured in the passing game. Wish that could have started years ago.

• Like 1

Joe Burrow, Dak Prescott, and Kyle Trask are all recent examples of SEC QBs playing their best football as juniors and seniors. A lot plays a factor in that: new scheme, new coaches, maturity, experience, etc…Bo has a chance for a kick start with a new staff and scheme. I hope he makes the most of it as the above mentioned trio did. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

Bo only had to beat Joey.    Joey was QB3 at Kentucky in 2020, in a run heavy offense.  

For whatever reason, Joey couldn't figure out the Malzhan offense.   He looked lost on passing plays the way I remember it.   He almost never got to pass and develop when he did go in, early on.  Were there trust issues with Joey before Bo even got to Auburn?    I believe so.     I 100% believe Gus developed this whole Joey vs Bo QB competition hype to push Bo and to try to keep Joey on the roster. 

Bo has never really been pushed by another QB at Auburn.  Privileged?   Lucky?   Anointed?    Who cares - I just hope Finely gets a legit shot and when called upon, does great.    Nothing wrong with having two good QBs (and I do expect Bo to become much better this year).  

Yeah you remember it wrong, I understand you're team Bo. Got it!

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I think I might have misread your post.  You're talking about Joey Gatewood?  I'm not sure where he's improved out of the blue

I don't feel like going into it. I'm good with just understanding I see stuff before other people or stuff they may not see period

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Joe Burrow, Dak Prescott, and Kyle Trask are all recent examples of SEC QBs playing their best football as juniors and seniors. A lot plays a factor in that: new scheme, new coaches, maturity, experience, etc…Bo has a chance for a kick start with a new staff and scheme. I hope he makes the most of it as the above mentioned trio did. 

And with Jason Campbell, senior was his highlight year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I don't feel like going into it. I'm good with just understanding I see stuff before other people or stuff they may not see period

I mean, I was team Gatewood during that race, just wasn't posting here.  His ability to possibly a true dual threat QB when that's been Gus' best offense is what I wanted. Then, he was misused by Gus and, like all his backups, he never let them show what they could do passing on the field.  He had to sit out last year (luckily he gets that year back) and is now competing at Kentucky.  They've been quiet on QB races so far.

That said, I'm not sure where he ever showed he "improved out of the blue".  What year did this happen?  When did we ever see his development?  Honest question....where did you see this huge development and he improved out of the blue when we haven't seen anything.

I hope he's elite at Kentucky, I was a big fan of his.

Edited by W.E.D

12 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I mean, I was team Gatewood during that race, just wasn't posting here.  His ability to possibly a true dual threat QB when that's been Gus' best offense is what I wanted. Then, he was misused by Gus and, like all his backups, he never let them show what they could do passing on the field.  He had to sit out last year (luckily he gets that year back) and is now competing at Kentucky.  They've been quiet on QB races so far.

That said, I'm not sure where he ever showed he "improved out of the blue".  What year did this happen?  When did we ever see his development?  Honest question....where did you see this huge development and he improved out of the blue when we haven't seen anything.

I hope he's elite at Kentucky, I was a big fan of his.

I'm talking how he went last on the depth chart to him and Bo fighting for the starting spot where the players say he won. But my point is how he got better when he wasn't getting reps or attention or anything.

I don't really want to talk about him because that will spark very basic arguments talking about Kentucky as if Bo could've went to Kentucky and won the job without being able to pass himself. 

But we already been through this I know footwork comes from reps in practice, I believe you felt that I didn't know what I was talking about when I tried to explain how it goes. No reason to start that up again.

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Joe and Kyle were good as soon as they got an opportunity, dak was just ok his first year as a starter but jumped his second year. None of these guys started as freshmen. But they all made a big jump from their first year of starting to their second.....

Campbell was actually very good his second year but people love to use him to say his last year. 

My point was I think it really depends on what they are struggling on, slowing the game down is a different struggle than learning how to throw a deep ball.

But if it takes no a little longer I'm all for it. I just want to be able to brag on my team and not look like we are little league

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I'm talking how he went last on the depth chart to him and Bo fighting for the starting spot where the players say he won. But my point is how he got better when he wasn't getting reps or attention or anything.

I don't really want to talk about him because that will spark very basic arguments talking about Kentucky as if Bo could've went to Kentucky and won the job without being able to pass himself. 

But we already been through this I know footwork comes from reps in practice, I believe you felt that I didn't know what I was talking about when I tried to explain how it goes. No reason to start that up again.

Just b/c others can't of a conversation, no reason to just not talk about it.

I would have liked to see Gatewood run Auburn's 2010 and 2013-14 offense.  Not sure Gus had that in him, but I think he would have done well.

We'll see how Gatewood does at UK.  Doesn't seem like he's going to get many reps so I guess he isn't going to get his footwork down.  Don't be so sensitive

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Joe and Kyle were good as soon as they got an opportunity, dak was just ok his first year as a starter but jumped his second year. None of these guys played as freshmen. But they all made a big jump from their first year of starting to their second.....

Campbell was actually very good his second year but people love to use him to say his last year. 

My point was I think it really depends on what they are struggling on, slowing the game down is a different struggle than learning how to throw a deep ball.

But if it takes no a little longer I'm all for it. I just want to be able to brag on my team and not look like we are little league

I agree with you on most besides Burrow.  He was pretty bad his 1st year at LSU, which was his 4th year in college.  Not much different than Bo's Freshman year if you compare stats. 

2nd year, new coach, new scheme and he possibly had the greatest season of all time.

Just now, W.E.D said:

Just b/c others can't of a conversation, no reason to just not talk about it.

I would have liked to see Gatewood run Auburn's 2010 and 2013-14 offense.  Not sure Gus had that in him, but I think he would have done well.

We'll see how Gatewood does at UK.  Doesn't seem like he's going to get many reps so I guess he isn't going to get his footwork down.  Don't be so sensitive

I'm not being sensitive, we are two different people when I talk on something and if people disagree I'm going to get hit with I started another argument or this is what you do every time. Especially anything else linked with Bo, so I choose to not get into pointless fights. Especially if my point is literally over other posters heads

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I agree with you on most besides Burrow.  He was pretty bad his 1st year at LSU, which was his 4th year in college.  Not much different than Bo's Freshman year if you compare stats. 

2nd year, new coach, new scheme and he possibly had the greatest season of all time.

Maybe you should look at his stats again. Almost 60% completion rate 16/5 td ratio. And he didn't just throw a bunch of screens either. I don't think that's bad. That's Bo's freshman year but Joe threw downfield more.

He always showed he was pretty accurate though

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Maybe you should look at his stats again. Almost 60% completion rate 16/5 td ratio. And he didn't just throw a bunch of screens either. I don't think that's bad. That's Bo's freshman year but Joe threw downfield more.

He always showed he was pretty accurate though

It was 57.8%.  Nix was 57.6%.  Bo had a 16/5 TD ratio too as a TrFR.  They literally had similar stats.  s*** on Bo for having bad stats and being in accurate, but at least have some consistency.  Joe Burrow wasn't good his RSJR season.  Same as Bo Nix not being good his TrFr season

He had a 1 Y/A difference.  It's not that massive.  

• Like 1