QB1 TJ Finley!

tgrogan21

There's a difference in arm talent between the two for sure. I would hope that's obvious, and not debatable. Bo has made some outstanding throws, and we have won some big games with him at QB. Where the problem lies is his accuracy on a consistent basis. I saw one throw in the AL. State game that is most indicative of what you get with Bo at QB. In that game he had Hunter wide open down the right sideline on a wheel route. A well placed pass, and it's an easy touchdown. The throw was to the outside shoulder however, and led Hunter out of bounds on the play. Hunter caught the ball for about a thirty yard gain, but technically it was not a good pass. No one seemed to pay attention to the play because it resulted in a big gain in a blowout game, yet those are the kind of plays that you must take full advantage of against better competition. One thing I do know is that every other team we play this year will stack the box, and make the QB beat them with plays down the field. I'm not about to speculate on if Finley is the guy to do that. I'll let the coaches, who know a hell of a lot more than I do make that call. Let's just say that based on the body of work I have little confidence that Bo can consistently do that at this point.

I have been a big defender of Bo in the past, because i felt in Malzahn's " One read, and run for your life system," he was the best we had. 

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

So let me give you two recent examples of guys who didn't play at earlier schools based on "performance":

Joe Burrow & Justin Fields

Sometimes coaches on a staff miss in their evaluations or simply make the wrong decision.

To be fair to tOSU, Burrows broke his right hand during his rSO year and never had the chance to overtake Haskins. I think everybody knew that Burrows was a gunslinger, nobody thought he would improve the way he did under Brady (Burrows originally wanted to go to Nebraska and Frost turned him down). 

TJ seemingly has the tools to be successful imo. Big arm, big build, understands movements in the pocket. I’d like to give him a fair shot next weekend, I’d also like to believe we would have won with him at Happy Valley. 

The big thing in the media that’s really grabbed my attention is that the 4&9 play was supposed to be a fade to Jackson, TJ saw that the fade wasn’t happening and scrambled to buy more times for a receiver to get open. — I think it’s safe to say Bo wouldn’t have done this. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well coincidentally the people who were super aggressive to the people that have critique to Bo are the same people who can't give any kudos to Finley....and are agitated wanting to fight today......

I haven't seen many ppl agitated. But I've skipped to the end of a lot of threads and wasn't really active yesterday bc for some dumb reason I thought I could go to the park and brewery with my wife and kid and thus game wouldn't be eventful. Stupid me

I think @Hank2020 points were pretty valid. Outside the last drive he was kinda shaky. I thought Hank did give him props for the final drive. If he didn't, he should.

I'm pretty sure if it was Bo you'd say the same thing. 55%, Bad opponent, at home, missed wide open WRs, etc. Let's be real. I think they are valid no matter the QB.

I'm glad Harsin made the change. I hope ge sticks with it and doesn't go backwards. Bo got his 4 games and we need a spark. 3/4 games with poor QB play and its time to change.

Bo will start against LSU.  If he struggles then you’ll see TJ.  Today may have been the last chance we had to see DD this season unless there’s an injury to one of the other guys.

Just now, cole256 said:

You have any proof of me being wrong? You don't? Oh ok. You are angry about something though. I wonder

i am tired of you making people look like jerks who come on here to have fun. it runs people off. and if you keep the look how smart i am crap you turn people off. other people bragging about you is gold. you bragging about yourself is old. if you are good you do not have to tell people you are. and you cannot wait until someone says something you can jump on. get me? wink wink

1 minute ago, japantiger said:

I think you and Cole both said things that were correct..he Cole, does have a much better arm; but yes Hank he only netted 56% on his passes, etc.....while I think Finley should get the nod this next week; frankly I don't think it will matter if we keep scheming this way and trying to throw as much as we are. 

We threw 43 damn times...and all backs combined only ran 35 times...are you friggin kidding me?  Niether QB is a high %age passer.  They have not been (in high school) and will not suddenly become one next week; or next month or in November.  They are below avg accurate passers.  56% puts them outside the top 80 D1 QB's in comp %.  That is what Bo's 3 years say and Finley's 1+ year says. 

Our problem is we fundamentally are not scheming and playing to the talent we have.  Tank and Jarquez had a combined 28 carries....holy hell; they should have 28 carries each.  Throw in Shivers...we can run the ball...RUN THE DAMN BALL 1st and foremost...throw 20 times a game at most...

There’s more to that than just the numbers. GSU out-schemed us, and beat us in the trenches. When Bo missed the passes to take defenders out of the box, it made it that much easier for GSU to the load the boxes. 

No matter how much we want to run the ball in a “smash mouth” in your face type of way, we absolutely cannot achieve this if there’s no respect for our passing game. 

• Like 3

Just now, aubiefifty said:

i am tired of you making people look like jerks who come on here to have fun. it runs people off. and if you keep the look how smart i am crap you turn people off. other people bragging about you is gold. you bragging about yourself is old. if you are good you do not have to tell people you are. and you cannot wait until someone says something you can jump on. get me? wink wink

I'm tired of you talking to me when you get mad that things you say don't make sense. I'd prefer if you didn't talk to me at all. In the sensitive rants you make you always seem to miss that you are literally doing the exact thing you say I'm doing. 

Who have a jumped on? I haven't even argued with anybody. What am I bragging about? Do you have any substance to ANYTHING you are saying? You are just mad. It's hilarious

15 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

So let me give you two recent examples of guys who didn't play at earlier schools based on "performance":

Joe Burrow & Justin Fields

Sometimes coaches on a staff miss in their evaluations or simply make the wrong decision.

I was referring to the fact that TJ was the already the starter and then lost the job and was then beat out by another player and had to transfer. Burrow and Fields were never starters and left to go elsewhere. Obviously when they got their chance they never looked back. Maybe this is a true rebirth for TJ and whatever performance issues he had has been corrected going forward. I’d be super stoked if so. 

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I haven't seen many ppl agitated. But I've skipped to the end of a lot of threads and wasn't really active yesterday bc for some dumb reason I thought I could go to the park and brewery with my wife and kid and thus game wouldn't be eventful. Stupid me

I think @Hank2020 points were pretty valid. Outside the last drive he was kinda shaky. I thought Hank did give him props for the final drive. If he didn't, he should.

I'm pretty sure if it was Bo you'd say the same thing. 55%, Bad opponent, at home, missed wide open WRs, etc. Let's be real. I think they are valid no matter the QB.

I'm glad Harsin made the change. I hope ge sticks with it and doesn't go backwards. Bo got his 4 games and we need a spark. 3/4 games with poor QB play and its time to change.

Well I'm glad you brought that up. Let's talk about it.....actually I'm just going to make a thread about it myself and let people decide if they want to talk about it or not. So feel free to chime in there if you want 

Oh and I don't say things happen if they don't happen. I didn't say all people but there are plenty posts of some people. 

10 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

I do think TJ will be yanked if he doesn’t perform well(if he starts)

Bo should be ready to go.

Maybe Bo will elevate his play because of the benching.  
I don’t think one is significantly better than the other.
It’s all up in the air at this point.

It really looks like we will struggle the rest of the year no matter who the QB is.

Going into LSU, I think it would be kinda dumb to give TJ a really short leash. I know LSU kinda suchs, but they are still talented, it's at home at 10pm or something stupid, and they'll be ready for their old teammate. 

He needs at least a half. Let him and the offense settle in and find some identity. 

I think you're right on your last point. I had hoped Bo would become more efficient. But even with some better mechanics and pocket awareness, he hasnt. I had also hoped for that bc I think TJ needs some time to develop. He's an elite talent, but a little raw.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Oh and I don't say things happen if they don't happen. I didn't say all people but there are plenty posts of some people. 

Relax, man. I just said I hadn't seen them. 

It was also posted after the guy called you an a**hole. Lol

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well I'm glad you brought that up. Let's talk about it.....actually I'm just going to make a thread about it myself and let people decide if they want to talk about it or not. So feel free to chime in there if you want 

Is this to something specific in my post? Not following. 

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I'm tired of you talking to me when you get mad that things you say don't make sense. I'd prefer if you didn't talk to me at all. In the sensitive rants you make you always seem to miss that you are literally doing the exact thing you say I'm doing. 

Who have a jumped on? I haven't even argued with anybody. What am I bragging about? Do you have any substance to ANYTHING you are saying? You are just mad. It's hilarious

i stand by what i said. you can act dumb all you want but i know better. your problem is you think folks on here are stupid. they are not. they just do not want to argue with you. i on the other hand will do this all day. be honest with yourself. remember the person braggin on you and he gave you a wink and you cleaned his clock?what do you call that winky boy? the man stood with you and you dissed him. that is the kind of crap you do on the regular. in fact when i see you pop up i think there is ol winky boy. it does not feel good getting called out like you do with folks does it?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Bo will start against LSU.  If he struggles then you’ll see TJ.  Today may have been the last chance we had to see DD this season unless there’s an injury to one of the other guys.

I think he will too. I hope he doesn't, but it just seems like the dumb thing most coaches do and it doesn't seem to make any sense 

Hopefully Harsin doesn't. 

29 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Coincidentally his mobility is what won the game. He has lost weight since he played at LSU 

He's mobile enough I think. Well, in a normal scenario. Idk if there is such a thing as mobile enough when it comes to our matador OL.

7 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I was referring to the fact that TJ was the already the starter and then lost the job and was then beat out by another player and had to transfer. Burrow and Fields were never starters and left to go elsewhere. Obviously when they got their chance they never looked back. Maybe this is a true rebirth for TJ and whatever performance issues he had has been corrected going forward. I’d be super stoked if so. 

I don't think LSU had a true stater and it's not like TJ ever won that job outright. He got it bc players got hurt.  

I'd also give most/all TrFr QBs a pass for how they performed as a true freshman. Almost all aren't going to be very good 

45 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

bo is a five star athlete and a three star qb and until he improves nothing will change my mind. teams have him figured out and it was beginning to hurt our running game.

I don't disagree with that.  However, what we know now and what he had shown as a high school QB and at camps etc are 2 independent points of analysis.  There were no qb coaches that predicted his current struggles before he took a snap as a college QB. He literally had offers from every top program in the country.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You are hurt it's ok. As far as your back up stuff, that's like your third time mentioning it and I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm just saying that so if you feel the need to say it again you don't have to. I don't know wtf you are saying. 

It's funny you are never around when I'm getting belittled but you are always hurt when I'm right. That makes me smile

i am not hurt winky. i just see through you and a smart guy like you should understand that. now you just deflect. and i do not take up for you because you bring most of it on yourself. and saying you do not know what i am talking about is a lie. ok i am going to binge yellowstone. and by the way you never finished your tj stuff with me.

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

“botched review”? That was clearly a catch…..just my orange and blue opinion.

As much as I appreciated the call, he clearly bobbled it against the ground.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

As much as I appreciated the call, he clearly bobbled it against the ground.

Orange and blue opinion……horrible call but I will take it and sure won’t say it changed the outcome. Weird day yesterday. Did not feel right from the onset. Time to talk about it for a bit and let it go.

Edited by SaltyTiger

Just now, DAG said:

The Bo experiment should be over. Let’s lump our growing pain to the future.

Finley is going to struggle. I hope Harsin him learn a bit. Biggest issue is going to be picks and it plagued him during LSUs spring too.

But, if he can limit turnovers and be at least 60% I think we'll be a better team bc Finley will connect on some deep balls that will either flip fields or change games.

I can see him being inefficient but effective, if that makes sense 

8 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i am not hurt winky. i just see through you and a smart guy like you should understand that. now you just deflect. and i do not take up for you because you bring most of it on yourself. and saying you do not know what i am talking about is a lie. ok i am going to binge yellowstone. and by the way you never finished your tj stuff with me.

Wtf are you talking about? So you don't have anything backing up anything you say? Ok got it. Go cry somewhere please. There's no reason we should interact we are two different people. You're hurt I'm sure you have a poor Bo post coming soon or something to vent.

Fact is you can't handle for anybody to disagree with you. You have your emotional breakdowns all the time

Edited by cole256