Transfer Portal Targets/Commits (2022)

AUght2win

1 hour ago, jknighton said:

I mean...you're right that we're not picking up anyone in the portal, but can you really blame this one on the staff? A Louisiana kid decides to move from ULL to LSU? That's a tough one to win bro. I'm guessing we'll s#it on Harsin & Co. for losing out on O'Torrence too though right?

I get what you’re saying about him being a ULL guy, but that basically means that we can’t be upset about not getting guys that didn’t grow up in Alabama. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Every comment towards me expressing disappointment has been met with excuses and spin.  We're missing left and right.  At some point we need to land offensive talent.

As a realist...It is disappointing, but you can't EXPECT to win those battles. When you do (Ausberry/Rhym) then it is surprising and feels good, but to automatically assume you win those just sets you up for failure.

Just now, steeleagle said:

You're definitely in panic mode.

Not really.  Just reacting to our top WR target not selecting us.  These are facts

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

We must have come close

Yay participation trophies!!!

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I do agree that our OL issues are not being helped it is looking like with a year of Friend at recruiting. That has to chance.

Yup.  It's really bad.  We missed on every portal OL target last year and we're on our way to doing the same this year.  Excuses aside, recruiting is selling and convincing kids we're the right spot.  Either our salesman is bad or our pitch is bad.  IDK which it is.

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

At WR, there are some other options, but dwindling, so we may be in the same boat as the year we lost Schwartz, Williams, and #12, but we got better. Now we need some of these guys on staff to build on an offense they now know after 1 year learning it.

There's absolutely no way we got better at WR in 2022 vs having Schwartz, Seth Williams, and Stove.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I get what you’re saying about him being a ULL guy, but that basically means that we can’t be upset about not getting guys that didn’t grow up in Alabama. 

Not comparable IMO. He moved instate from a Group of Five school to a Power Five school. LSU is the only Power Five school in that state.

Think of it similar to Minor League baseball. If a kid is playing for AAA Rochester and he has a choice between the 2 clubs in New York, which is he choosing?

18 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Not really. It just means you can't be upset about every single one of them. 

56 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Why are we even recruiting these guys if we had no chance?  Can someone please tell Harsin this so we can shift resources to guys we might have a shot with?

Some people want instant success.  Read people posting "Harsin only goes after 3 stars" and they are not happy.  Read your post and you are not happy that he is reaching for top level. Harsin doesn't work by the recruiting standards of posters. Maybe some should get into coaching and see if they can make a difference. Rant on my friend.

Uncommitted 4 Star or better

Entered portal 1/14/22

Kaemen Marley

Kaemen Marley 0.9337 4 Star, WR Immediate

Tennessee

Entered portal 1/13/22

Edited by IronMan70

50 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

You're definitely in panic mode.

As some have said we re working from a tough angle with our lack of a top offensive QB/OL and our history at WR. and You have to go after whou you want regardless of how an instate school comes after a player.

LSU does have elite WRs in the NFL, he is getting a good offensive coach in Kelly. He has put some WRs in the NFL. 

We must have come close, and that is all you can do, when he just came in for a visit, so he was interested. 

I do agree that our OL issues are not being helped it is looking like with a year of Friend at recruiting. That has to chance.

At WR, there are some other options, but dwindling, so we may be in the same boat as the year we lost Schwartz, Williams, and #12, but we got better. Now we need some of these guys on staff to build on an offense they now know after 1 year learning it.

No, W.E.D. is right. This is highly concerning.

OL and WR are massive immediate needs, and to bring in just one guy on a visit and have him commit elsewhere is a huge miss. We have actually subtracted at WR from a group that already wasn't good to begin with. That is very bad. You're literally looking at a WR group that returns: Shedrick Jackson, Ja'Varrius Johnson, Zavion Capers, and Tar'Varvish Dawson.

Shedrick is basically a #3 type receiver, Johnson is talented but is tiny and is a role player (he also missed several games this past season with injury). Capers could barely get on the field so it's hard to predict what the hell happens there, because he didn't earn any playing time this past season. And Dawson basically had one ball thrown to him all season long - he is talented, but like Johnson he is small and more of a role player. That's it for your experienced players. Then you have three true freshmen, but it's asinine to expect those guys to come in and light the world on fire. You saw first hand with Dawson that it's going to be hard for a true freshman to step in and play in this offense under Harsin.

OL is more of the same. They really needed two guys to come in before spring, and it looks like we might end up with 0. That is bad, considering that you're looking at a position group that wasn't good to begin with.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I have been pretty forgiving of recruiting but WR was a key need and not getting Lacy is big add to that so far none of the O-line have committed and right now the portal is killing us.  We basically have picked up a D-Lineman and a QB both needed but have lost a lot more to the portal. RB, WR, QB, CB, D-Line, O-Line, Safety.

Each week we hear we are looking real good for this player then next week the player commits somewhere else. My Orange and Blue glasses are getting dimmer.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, metafour said:

OL and WR are massive immediate needs, and to bring in just one guy on a visit and have him commit elsewhere is a huge miss. We have actually subtracted at WR from a group that already wasn't good to begin with. That is very bad. You're literally looking at a WR group that returns: Shedrick Jackson, Ja'Varrius Johnson, Zavion Capers, and Tar'Varvish Dawson.

Shedrick is basically a #3 type receiver, Johnson is talented but is tiny and is a role player (he also missed several games this past season with injury). Capers could barely get on the field so it's hard to predict what the hell happens there, because he didn't earn any playing time this past season. And Dawson basically had one ball thrown to him all season long - he is talented, but like Johnson he is small and more of a role player. That's it for your experienced players. Then you have three true freshmen, but it's asinine to expect those guys to come in and light the world on fire. You saw first hand with Dawson that it's going to be hard for a true freshman to step in and play in this offense under Harsin.

OL is more of the same. They really needed two guys to come in before spring, and it looks like we might end up with 0. That is bad, considering that you're looking at a position group that wasn't good to begin with.

Thank you! Jesus! People are being fatally optimistic about a very bad situation. Everyone seems to think, “it’s all good, because Harsin has a plan”. 

Well guess what, maybe he doesn’t. Maybe we are truly striking out over and over with important pieces. And even if he does have a plan, maybe his plan isn’t good enough to rebuild this turd bucket. 

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

People are being fatally optimistic

I know you're not being literal, but even in a figurative sense I'm not sure what exactly you are accomplishing with your emotions that we who are more optimistic are not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like I posted yesterday, I am getting concerned. It's ok to like Harsin and still be concerned about the current state of recruiting, especially with the transfer portal. We have immediate needs that must be filled. 

If you said a year ago that we would have one 3 star OL recruit on this date, everyone on this board would be shocked and concerned. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, metafour said:

I don’t get all the small talk.   Devonte Smith, waddle and many more are smaller receivers.   

Just now, McLoofus said:

I know you're not being literal, but even in a figurative sense I'm not sure what exactly you are accomplishing with your emotions that we who are more optimistic are not. 

Neither of us are accomplishing anything. But I’m coming on a forum and talking about how I feel about us losing on these guys. 

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Neither of us are accomplishing anything. But I’m coming on a forum and talking about how I feel about us losing on these guys. 

Okay. It just seemed like you were saying others are making a mistake by being optimistic, as though there are meaningful consequences for that mistake. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Okay. It just seemed like you were saying others are making a mistake by being optimistic, as though there are meaningful consequences for that mistake. 

Meh. I probably could have worded it better. More like people are being ignorantly optimistic for no reason.😂😂😂

2 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I don’t get all the small talk.   Devonte Smith, waddle and many more are smaller receivers.   

Devonta Smith - 6'0 1/4, 170 pounds

Jaylen Waddle - 5'9 1/2, 180 pounds

Ja'Varrius Johnson - listed at 5'10, 159 pounds

Tar'varish Dawson - listed at 5'11, 165 pounds

Looking past the fact that Smith and Waddle were obvious freaks (lets not compare guys to absolute superstars), the issue is that our two guys are twigs. Johnson literally weighs ~160 pounds. I'm not saying that those two can't be good, but who is the proven #1 WR for this team? Who's the guy who you can throw the ball up to in coverage? Those two (Johnson and Dawson) are speedy slot receivers, they're not guys who are going to bully defenders. Waddle is short, but he's built like a RB and is absurdly fast/explosive. Devonta Smith is thin, but he's a freakishly good route runner and a world-class receiver.

Capers has the size/frame to be that guy; but he's coming off a season where he obviously struggled. Going into spring ball with Shedrick Jackson was your #1 receiver just can't be sugar coated in ANY way, I'm sorry. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah, sincerely ESD from LA.

I guess we'll focus on Troy and UAB players. 

I can see it now.  Brooks didn't come here b/c Texas Tech/OC.  Cornell Transfer wanted blah blah blah. 

Maybe someone will fall in our lap vs actually being elite recruiters. 

Let’s wring our hands and declare failure at every miss.

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Optimism is always best in situations where you do not effect the outcome one iota.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, metafour said:

Left off Malcom Johnson.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Let’s wring our hands and declare failure at every miss.

Or just throw your head in the sand and believe an OL will magically appear.

2 hours ago, metafour said:

Devonta Smith - 6'0 1/4, 170 pounds

Jaylen Waddle - 5'9 1/2, 180 pounds

Ja'Varrius Johnson - listed at 5'10, 159 pounds

Tar'varish Dawson - listed at 5'11, 165 pounds

Looking past the fact that Smith and Waddle were obvious freaks (lets not compare guys to absolute superstars), the issue is that our two guys are twigs. Johnson literally weighs ~160 pounds. I'm not saying that those two can't be good, but who is the proven #1 WR for this team? Who's the guy who you can throw the ball up to in coverage? Those two (Johnson and Dawson) are speedy slot receivers, they're not guys who are going to bully defenders. Waddle is short, but he's built like a RB and is absurdly fast/explosive. Devonta Smith is thin, but he's a freakishly good route runner and a world-class receiver.

Capers has the size/frame to be that guy; but he's coming off a season where he obviously struggled. Going into spring ball with Shedrick Jackson was your #1 receiver just can't be sugar coated in ANY way, I'm sorry. 

King seems to be an emerging threat as well.  I know he is listed as a TE but he is more of a WR

3 hours ago, cbo said:

Like I posted yesterday, I am getting concerned. It's ok to like Harsin and still be concerned about the current state of recruiting, especially with the transfer portal. We have immediate needs that must be filled. 

If you said a year ago that we would have one 3 star OL recruit on this date, everyone on this board would be shocked and concerned. 

I’m with you here. I have tried to be patient and positive and will be the first to admit that I have zero inside knowledge. I will also admit that our (seeming) inability to gain traction on guys in the portal on the offensive side of the ball is really starting to worry me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1