Auburn OC Search, Part III

W.E.D

47 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

What we should have done is hire Harsin as head coach and demote Malzahn to OC.  

As long as we're in the land called Honah Lee, we should hire Nick as HC and Kirby for DC,

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CR said:

We just lost another WR to the portal. 19 whiner players and 5  loser coaches to this point. The Titanic evacuation looks calm in comparison.

this is fine

51 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

What we should have done is hire Harsin as head coach and demote Malzahn to OC.  

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

this has also been one of the most flawed Alabama teams since 2010. I would contend the most flawed one since that year. Success (in a very shoddy SEC) aside, LSU, Auburn, and Florida were all bad teams and they should've lost to at least 2 of those 3 IMO. The OL was horrid, the CBs were horrid, the RB depth was the worst I've seen them have, and I believe Robinson was still hurt when we played them. 

All in all, I just don't think that can be a 1:1 mitigation of some of the awful losses Harsin sustained

If all those things were "horrid" at uat, may the Lord and my AU father forgive me, but I'll take being like them. Especially after non signing signing day! 😃😁😆😢

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. A couple of those do in fact end up bouncing and I'm probably with you.

Well, JJohnson is gone now. Things move quickly around here, huh?

I think we are in bad shape at WR. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aucom96 said:

I hope you're right. 

Nix wasn't just a better runner, he was a playmaker. He created offense when Tank and our receivers were completely shut down. That's difficult to replace and I haven't seen that ability out of Calzada yet. 

Roger McCreary is not going to be easily replaced, nor McClain. That's two All Sec players. We also have lost a lot of depth to the portal. Hard to see this a push. 

I don't know what the new DC runs. We weren't lights out on D last season and we're changing multiple coaches on that side of the ball. Not a push. 

Oline, hope you're right. We lost some experience and didn't replace it with depth. 

I agree that we're close to last year's team...but that was a 6 win team. I'm not sure I see two wins better on paper with the schedule we have, but that's why they play them. If Harsin can pull down 8 or 9 wins, he'll have me convinced!

Agreed on Nix being a playmaker

Agreed on McCreary and McClain.

I am telling you the new DC runs the same 3-4 system as Mason and He has a pretty good track record as a DC.

Oline I hope I am right too!  It's tenuous for sure.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cbo said:

Well, JJohnson is gone now. Things move quickly around here, huh?

I think we are in bad shape at WR. 

We can still be better than this past season but another big hit might change that.

10 minutes ago, Didba said:

Agreed on Nix being a playmaker

Agreed on McCreary and McClain.

I am telling you the new DC runs the same 3-4 system as Mason and He has a pretty good track record as a DC.

Oline I hope I am right too!  It's tenuous for sure.

Calzada and Nix are different QBs with similar issues. I agree this is a push in my eyes. Landon King could help the receiving corp, but losing 3 out of 4 main wide receivers from last year hurts. 

Defense has a depth issue in the LB position, maybe can be fixed with some transfers. Hard to see defense as a push right now. 

Online depth is a (still) major issue without any incoming except for one true freshman. We’re 1-2 injuries away from the Oline’s experience not playing a factor at all. Overall I can’t see this being better. Because Friend is incompetent. 

At this current state, 6 wins and a bowl game would be a pretty good result. 8 wins and Harsin may get himself a 30 million dollar buyout. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

If all those things were "horrid" at uat, may the Lord and my AU father forgive me, but I'll take being like them. Especially after non signing signing day! 😃😁😆😢

Standards are a bit higher for them! It’s all relative yknow 

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Standards are a bit higher for them! It’s all relative yknow 

But if AU got as close to winning 9-10 games with obvious inferior talent.......... I'll still take it. 

5 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

But if AU got as close to winning 9-10 games with obvious inferior talent.......... I'll still take it. 

The inferior talent part is greatly overstated. I think the depth wasn’t ideal at some spots, but we didn’t have “inferior talent” overall to OM, Arky, USC, PSU, and the greatly diminished LSU team from that season. If you want to see inferior talent though, the gap should be substantially widened this season with Auburn not getting noticeably better (I’d contend worse) overall and all of the teams we kept it close with not trending downwards or trending upwards. 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We can still be better than this past season but another big hit might change that.

Not even trying to be a smart alec just want to hear your logic on this. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The inferior talent part is greatly overstated. I think the depth wasn’t ideal at some spots, but we didn’t have “inferior talent” overall to OM, Arky, USC, PSU, and the greatly diminished LSU team from that season. If you want to see inferior talent though, the gap should be substantially widened this season with Auburn not getting noticeably better overall and all of the teams we kept it close with not trending downwards or trending upwards. 

We lost to uat, too. That was the original subject, and I still believe I'm right on that topic.  I don't disagree with you on the other, though. Unless we get a miracle from the portal before and after spring practice, we're hurting. Numbers don't lie. 

7 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Not even trying to be a smart alec just want to hear your logic on this. 

I know you asked him the question, but my logic would be: the transfer portal is still open

8 hours ago, DAG said:

I will say that I think CBP has shown the blueprint in building a program at a place like Auburn. The first thing is you have to be charismatic, which is seems CBH completely lacks. It was one of the reasons I wanted Napier. Recruits and players seemed to love him. A younger, energetic guy to revamp the program. Hopefully that rigidity changes a bit. 

The boosters not giving him what he wanted makes me concerned about if they're willing to give any good coaching candidate what they want. I would take literally every other coaching staff in the west and over half of the ones in the east over ours.

Edited by AUwent

Harsin looked so comfortable with Bobo before he hired him as OC. Just, sad. /s

harsin_bobo.jpg

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, The Freak said:

As long as we're in the land called Honah Lee, we should hire Nick as HC and Kirby for DC,

Writing checks doesn't make a problem go away, instead it definitely sends the wrong message to all prospective hirees.  AU and donors have written payoffs to at least 4 fb coaches and many on this forum want that number to be 5.  If anything, the message is that we rent coaches instead of supporting their work even in the rough patches.  Paying exorbitant payouts require consequences, otherwise AU is just a revolving door.  I say that they work off that salary, otherwise we have the new greenmailing.  We'll pay you, but you have to stay and work some of that salary off at AU, not while you're lying on the sand at the beach.

Btw, what programs have succeeded with continually paying coaches to go away ?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Writing checks doesn't make a problem go away, instead it definitely sends the wrong message to all prospective hirees.  AU and donors have written payoffs to at least 4 fb coaches and many on this forum want that number to be 5.  If anything, the message is that we rent coaches instead of supporting their work even in the rough patches.  Paying exorbitant payouts require consequences, otherwise AU is just a revolving door.  I say that they work off that salary, otherwise we have the new greenmailing.  We'll pay you, but you have to stay and work some of that salary off at AU, not while you're lying on the sand at the beach.

Btw, what programs have succeeded with continually paying coaches to go away ?

He had a contract.  End of dreamlandia.

7 hours ago, e808 said:

Things have changed dramatically since Urban and Saban become power 5 coaches. Also they are more of outliers than the norm.

Also is it easier to get up  to play a team once a year versus every week. Also which P5 teams did the play because just because they are power 5 doesn’t mean they are any good. To even compare Boise and Auburn regarding D1 top ten teams isn’t even a fair comparison.

From what I see there is an issue with communication. It seems this military type no nonsense isn’t going over well. Sometimes u have to be open to change. U can still get the most out of players without being serious 24/7. 

Lastly I am pretty sure Saban was at Michigan State before LSU but I could be wrong. 

Completely missed my key points. I used Saban and Meyer as examples because they have been the most successful non SEC outsiders to come in and DOMINATE the SEC. Saban was head coach at Toledo, them Mich. State, before coming south. Leach, Kiffin, Kelly- all have a successful history that goes back further than their time in the SEC. Any one of those coaches will win some important games in the SEC before they’re done,

You missed my point that Boise is 6-3 vs - vs D1  opponents that were RANKED in the TOP 10 when they played Boise.

The key point is the Peterson, Harsin, and the other coaches in that system can and have held their own against the bigger conference schools, doing so with less talent than all the 4 and 5 stars they’ve played against from those bigger conferences.  

That includes a 34-21 thumping of the Dawgs in Athens in 2011. Coaching and scheming competitiveness will not be an issue with the “Boise Boys”. The bigger challenge will be how quickly they can fill the multi year recruiting  mess they inherited in several position groups. 

18 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Let’s just hope the rumors of tonight are true, and the football program gets a hard re-start tomorrow.

Oh heck, what now?

Nevermind, I don't wanna know at this point.