Auburn OC Search, Part III

W.E.D

5 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

You are correct, so we should all give up and become bammer fans! 

Realistically appraising a coach makes one a Bama fan? 

11 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

We didn’t have a chance against Bama, because we had a QB hobbling around on a bum leg, who could barely move. That’s on Bryan Harsin, solely. Any other QB is in that game and we win. 

How is it on CBH? Clearly, neither QBs behind Finley were suitable options or they would have played. Loy is Loy. Davis probably would have thrown an interception.

1 minute ago, Didba said:

How is it on CBH? Clearly, neither QBs behind Finley were suitable options or they would have played. Loy is Loy. Davis probably would have thrown an interception.

Did u forget it was TJ interception that swung the momentum in the game. At least Davis was a threat to run it could run. IJS

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cbo said:

If it's going to be Kiesau, just go ahead and do it. It will look even worse if it takes a couple weeks for that outcome. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

That was my guess when Bobo was fired. 

I wonder if Harsin calling plays allows a structure where Kiesau can focus on other OC duties and also still stay involved with the WRs somewhat. 

I have no idea how any of this works. 

From Harsin's statement at the Senoir bowl, it appears to me that Kiesau will not be the OC and Harsin is not going to promote from within.  It likely would have already have happened if that was the case.  So it seems he will be searching around the country again.  He didn't state this stuff explicitly but implicitly. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, e808 said:

Did u forget it was TJ interception that swung the momentum in the game. At least Davis was a threat to run it could run. IJS

Yes, I did forget, I actually didn't watch the game live and had to rewatch it on YouTube, later that night, half drunk from a wedding, and still drinking on beers so yes, definitely forgot he threw a pick.  Thank you for pointing that out.  I retract my previous statement and amend it to: Who knows anymore? or something along those lines.

Edited by Didba
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Didba said:

From Harsin's statement at the Senoir bowl, it appears to me that Kiesau will not be the OC and Harsin is not going to promote from within.  It likely would have already have happened if that was the case.  So it seems he will be searching around the country again.  He didn't state this stuff explicitly but implicitly. 

Yeah. He tried to hire Zach Hill and then got turned down by Kiesau. So you're right. Might be an "outsider" for the OC gig, but not because Harsin wants it to be. 

17 minutes ago, Didba said:

It’s on Harsin for not having but one QB behind Finley that can do more than lose us the game. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

18 minutes ago, Didba said:

Yeah, that's the only possible explanation. 

It couldn't possibly be that CBH made the wrong decision. Everything we've seen over this past month is the product of a guy who clearly never gets anything wrong.

28 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

We’ve arguably downgraded at all 4. Still waiting to see in the OC, because….well, we still don’t have one.

I'd argue QB will be an upgrade, push at the worst.  OL and OC likely a push.  WR is likely a downgrade.

28 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

My bammer buddies said this well before the IB.

If Harsin won, it still would’ve been a MASSIVE W, don’t get me wrong. But I know a ton of us were in here during those Florida, LSU, Arky games clowning that team. At the very least, we have to be honest that the depth on that team should be fairly better next year than this one. Wouldn’t be mad if I’m wrong though!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

It’s on Harsin for not having but one QB behind Finley that can do more than lose us the game. 

Yeah, I ask people this all the time: so what if Finley gets concussed on the first snap? Do we just forfeit? CBH should have played a different QB. I don't care if they were perfect or not, there are HS QBs better than a severely injured Finley. 

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Yeah, that's the only possible explanation. 

It couldn't possibly be that CBH made the wrong decision. Everything we've seen over this past month is the product of a guy who clearly never gets anything wrong.

See above reply where I retracted this statement for being erroneous, thanks to @e808 pointing out my error.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Didba said:

Yes, I did forget, I actually didn't watch the game live and had to rewatch it on YouTube, later that night, half drunk from a wedding, and still drinking on beers so yes, definitely forgot he threw a pick.  Thank you for pointing that out.  I retract my previous statement and amend it to: Who knows anymore? or something along those lines.

He actually threw 2 on his first 2 attempts post-injury. Second was fortunately wiped out by a roughing the passer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Freak said:

I'd argue QB will be an upgrade, push at the worst.  OL and OC likely a push.  WR is likely a downgrade.

yup, this team is essentially the same barring some players on defense and the WR room. With better QB play 8-9 wins next year is attainable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

He actually threw 2 on his first 2 attempts post-injury. Second was fortunately wiped out by a roughing the passer.

yup, I was wrong.

4 minutes ago, The Freak said:

WR is likely a downgrade.

Disagree, unless we have more guys transfer out.

Kobe Hudson and Demetris Robertson were not particularly good- Hudson was "fine" and Robertson was "not"- and any guys who stay from last year will be better than they were to start the season. 

I think we'll be better at WR. Especially if King sticks and is used more as a big slot or even outside guy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If Harsin won, it still would’ve been a MASSIVE W, don’t get me wrong. But I know a ton of us were in here during those Florida, LSU, Arky games clowning that team. At the very least, we have to be honest that the depth on that team should be fairly better next year than this one. Wouldn’t be mad if I’m wrong though!

For sure. I likewise don't intend to diminish the effort. Only to head off any "oh so all of a sudden bama ain't no good" retorts. They'll come anyway, lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, imaolgatiger said:

Like beating LSU in Baton Rouge for the first time in 20 years, taking bammer to the wire with a backup QB and butterfinger receivers? Yes, no hope for the future! Ridiculous! 

This mentality is what got Gus the contract extension in 2017

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Kobe Hudson and Demetris Robertson were not particularly good- Hudson was "fine" and Robertson was "not"- and any guys who stay from last year will be better than they were to start the season. 

I think we'll be better at WR. Especially if King sticks and is used more as a big slot or even outside guy. 

Fair take.  My view point was looking at the loss of experience plus the rumored transfers.  Just not rosy IMO.

22 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Derrick Mason was a bright spot on last football season. Look what has happened since he left. One month ago, our defense was looking like it was going to be elite. 

You make fun of the concern for Harsin being a G5 coach, but that is exactly the reason we are in this mess right now. He has very little respect and connections in this part of the country. And now we are seeing it play out. 

Bama defensive game plan was schemed by the guy that took Mason's place. 

Stop with the having to be from the SEC stuff. Urban Meyer and Nick Saban had no connections to the SEC before they started winning championships with SEC teams. They coached at Utah and Bowling Green. 

As I've reminded others here that are so sideways about those inferior "Boise Boys"- you likely don't know much about how well Boise has always played vs Power 5 conference competition. They have a winning record against D1 teams ranked in the top ten all time (vs Auburn's losing record) and they've been giant killers for years. No 5 star talent obviously like many of their opponents, but that means they out schemed and outcoached those more talented teams. Go to YouTube and watch last five minutes + overtime of '07 Fiesta Bowl. One of those teams was Oklahoma/Bob Stoops ranked #5 nationally; the Boise team that beat them had an OC that is now our head coach. 

As someone posted earlier in this thread, Harsin should have been allowed to bring in exactly who he wanted from day one- but in hindsight he likely felt pressure from within the AD (probably not from AG- another "outsider") or from  boosters, etc, to go with SEC coaches who had already seen their best days years earlier- specifically Bobo, Mason, and Friend.

The combination of "Boise Boys" and former Auburn players/now coaches on staff may very well surprise those of you r with your hair on fire about it having to be SEC SEC SEC. It will take at least one, maybe two recruiting cycles to fix what the last guy neglected. Recruiting vs the established dominant players will be a challenge, but coaching side of it will be fine. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Fair take.  My view point was looking at the loss of experience plus the rumored transfers.  Just not rosy IMO.

Yeah. A couple of those do in fact end up bouncing and I'm probably with you.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Didba said:

yup, this team is essentially the same barring some players on defense and the WR room. With better QB play 8-9 wins next year is attainable.

From what I've seen, we don't have a QB on the level of Nix...which is where a number of our wins came from. We lost some pretty big players on defense and a good bit of depth plus we're replacing the coordinator again. We lost our top receiver, a few OL starters with not much coming in and our schedule gets tougher with AL, UGA and the Miss schools on the road. 

I'll say that if we can pull off 8 wins this season, any fires under Harsin's seat should quickly extinguish. 

26 minutes ago, WarEagleT said:

Stop with the having to be from the SEC stuff. Urban Meyer and Nick Saban had no connections to the SEC before they started winning championships with SEC teams. They coached at Utah and Bowling Green. 

As I've reminded others here that are so sideways about those inferior "Boise Boys"- you likely don't know much about how well Boise has always played vs Power 5 conference competition. They have a winning record against D1 teams ranked in the top ten all time (vs Auburn's losing record) and they've been giant killers for years. No 5 star talent obviously like many of their opponents, but that means they out schemed and outcoached those more talented teams. Go to YouTube and watch last five minutes + overtime of '07 Fiesta Bowl. One of those teams was Oklahoma/Bob Stoops ranked #5 nationally; the Boise team that beat them had an OC that is now our head coach. 

As someone posted earlier in this thread, Harsin should have been allowed to bring in exactly who he wanted from day one- but in hindsight he likely felt pressure from within the AD (probably not from AG- another "outsider") or from  boosters, etc, to go with SEC coaches who had already seen their best days years earlier- specifically Bobo, Mason, and Friend.

The combination of "Boise Boys" and former Auburn players/now coaches on staff may very well surprise those of you r with your hair on fire about it having to be SEC SEC SEC. It will take at least one, maybe two recruiting cycles to fix what the last guy neglected. Recruiting vs the established dominant players will be a challenge, but coaching side of it will be fine. 

Things have changed dramatically since Urban and Saban become power 5 coaches. Also they are more of outliers than the norm.

Also is it easier to get up  to play a team once a year versus every week. Also which P5 teams did the play because just because they are power 5 doesn’t mean they are any good. To even compare Boise and Auburn regarding D1 top ten teams isn’t even a fair comparison.

From what I see there is an issue with communication. It seems this military type no nonsense isn’t going over well. Sometimes u have to be open to change. U can still get the most out of players without being serious 24/7. 

Lastly I am pretty sure Saban was at Michigan State before LSU but I could be wrong. 

Edited by e808

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I agree. I think QB will be an upgrade. WR will likely be an upgrade. I think losing Hudson hurt because he showed promise, but the other guys on roster will be better as you said.

14 minutes ago, WarEagleT said:

I keep seeing this about CJS calling or doing the game planning for Bama....this is absolutely nuts. You have absolutely zero evidence to support this. Everybody wants to blame Mason for the times the Defense didn't work, but sure as hell don't want to give him credit for the times it did. 

• Like 1