2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

7 hours ago, cbo said:

I realized reading the rumor today that a new QB is the one thing that will give me hope for next season. 

Be careful. U will be labeled a defeatist with a defeatist attitude.  

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, cbo said:

I realized reading the rumor today that a new QB is the one thing that will give me hope for next season. 

My hope is that Nix will let PT throw the ball more instead of running so much, like PM had him do, but that will be HF's call since he stated he wants up tempo.  He ran twice as many downs at AU, 10/gm.  And, his last 2 seasons at MSU PT averaged 388 passes and 3,000 yds/season with 61.4% completions.  He comes to AU and PM had him throw only 265x for 1,755 yds with 61.1% completions.  PT's efficiency at AU was almost exactly the same as at MSU, but PM had him throw passes less per game.  If he had the same completion %, then why not let him throw more often ?

PT is not really an up tempo player, but if HF persists trying to make him one, then most likely we'll have the same results unless his completion rate increases.  Can Nix improve that ?  For that matter, I don't think any of our qbs is really up tempo, except maybe WW.

I say call more passing plays which will be to the PT's strength, not force him to run as much, which isn't his strength.  Besides, if he goes down, then who replaces him ?

• Like 1

I just read that bammer has lost 38 players off their roster either from NFL draft or transfer portal entry. That seems like a High number.  I'm sure we have to.. but surely not 38

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

My hope is that Nix will let PT throw the ball more instead of running so much, like PM had him do, but that will be HF's call since he stated he wants up tempo.  He ran twice as many downs at AU, 10/gm.  And, his last 2 seasons at MSU PT averaged 388 passes and 3,000 yds/season with 61.4% completions.  He comes to AU and PM had him throw only 265x for 1,755 yds with 61.1% completions.  PT's efficiency at AU was almost exactly the same as at MSU, but PM had him throw passes less per game.  If he had the same completion %, then why not let him throw more often ?

PT is not really an up tempo player, but if HF persists trying to make him one, then most likely we'll have the same results unless his completion rate increases.  Can Nix improve that ?  For that matter, I don't think any of our qbs is really up tempo, except maybe WW.

I say call more passing plays which will be to the PT's strength, not force him to run as much, which isn't his strength.  Besides, if he goes down, then who replaces him ?

The guys behind him. This is not Jayden Daniels we are talking about here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Be careful. U will be labeled a defeatist with a defeatist attitude.  

Trust me, that happened long ago. 

I actually think 2025 is promising, but I'm afraid we don't have the roster for the 2024 season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbo said:

I actually think 2025 is promising, but I'm afraid we don't have the roster for the 2024 season. 

If some of the O-line we brought in work out we should be better both run and pass blocking. We will have quality and depth in the interior line and with tranfer and JC plus  development of Johnson and Miller OT should be solid.

Lot of talent coming in at WR so even though young and will have a learning curve should be better then last year. 

All of our talented RB's are returning that leaves QB which will determine how much better we might be on O.

On Defense we lost a lot. Some regular DL's and  lot of talented DB's. Most of our LB's return. On D we will need some young DB's to step up. We will probably need some of our talented freshmen DB's, LB's, and DL's especially Edge to provide depth and maybe some will start.

Initially I expect a dropoff on D and not sure how new pieces will work out.

QB is big question mark on O and DB and DL on D.  I am hoping one of the young QB's step up or we get a QB from portal. If Thorne is starter I still think we will be a little better on O because of better players in line and at wr, plus Freeze calling plays.

This is first time in a few years I am worried about the D.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cbo said:

The problem is that we might actually be a pretty senior heavy starting lineup again this year--certainly on the OL. So, my below goals could end up reversing; regardless, at least seven reg season wins both the next two years and one eight win reg season between the two shouldn't be too much to ask.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If some of the O-line we brought in work out we should be better both run and pass blocking. We will have quality and depth in the interior line and with tranfer and JC plus  development of Johnson and Miller OT should be solid.

Lot of talent coming in at WR so even though young and will have a learning curve should be better then last year. 

All of our talented RB's are returning that leaves QB which will determine how much better we might be on O.

On Defense we lost a lot. Some regular DL's and  lot of talented DB's. Most of our LB's return. On D we will need some young DB's to step up. We will probably need some of our talented freshmen DB's, LB's, and DL's especially Edge to provide depth and maybe some will start.

QB is big question mark on O and DB and DL on D.  I am hoping one of the young QB's step up or we get a QB from portal. If Thorne is starter I still think we will be a little better on O because of better players in line and at wr, plus Freeze calling plays.

Good analysis and I completely agree. Thin DL and inexperienced secondary is a real concern on the D side. I agree the O should be a little better, even with the same QB, but they have a long way to go. Some abysmal performances last season and we need major improvement. Concerning that Thorne was missing screen passes in the bowl game. 

5 minutes ago, AUwent said:

The problem is that we might actually be a pretty senior heavy starting lineup again this year--certainly on the OL. So, my below goals could end up reversing; regardless, at least seven reg season wins both the next two years and one eight win reg season between the two shouldn't be too much to ask.

Agree that we need to see tangible improvement on the field and 8 wins is not an unreasonable expectation for Year 2. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DAG said:

The guys behind him. This is not Jayden Daniels we are talking about here.

Theres a good chance one of them plays over him anyway. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Here’s to hoping!! 

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

Due to player movement through the portal, we will have to judge yearly (fall practice) what our season will look like. Perfectly normal to cheer/hope for future success or to set reasonable expectations for coaching staff.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

I’m glad he’s not going to Georgia.

Ohio State did not take kindly to Michigan winning the title holy moly they are loading up. 

Buckeyes and Dodgers are plotting their revenge on the world in 2024 lol

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, woodford said:

Ohio State did not take kindly to Michigan winning the title holy moly they are loading up. 

Buckeyes and Dodgers are plotting their revenge on the world in 2024 lol

Dodgers spending a billion dollars to still be #2

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

😐😳🤯

That is what winning programs do when they are pissed at their rivals. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is what winning programs do when they are pissed at their rivals. 

Bingo. Day will still take a crap this season 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1