Aden Holloway hits the portal (4/20 Committed to UAT)

Well, maybe he has enjoyed a growth spurt. But in his own words, “I’m a short guard who can get to the rim and finish above the rim,” Pettiford told On3.

Um, Aden figured the same. So did Wendell. That was not SEC play.

I'm not negging on Pettiford. I have high hopes that he can become an offensive force. Aden certainly wasn't that. TD was more stable as a PG than Aden. Maybe Holloway would have developed over the next 2-3 years, but he was certainly not the 5 star outside threat or solid PG that we needed last year. Good luck to him going forward.

I'm hoping Tahaad can step in and be the PG/CG we need for next season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AURex said:

Well, maybe he has enjoyed a growth spurt. But in his own words, “I’m a short guard who can get to the rim and finish above the rim,” Pettiford told On3.

Um, Aden figured the same. So did Wendell. That was not SEC play.

I'm not negging on Pettiford. I have high hopes that he can become an offensive force. Aden certainly wasn't that. TD was more stable as a PG than Aden. Maybe Holloway would have developed over the next 2-3 years, but he was certainly not the 5 star outside threat or solid PG that we needed last year. Good luck to him going forward.

I'm hoping Tahaad can step in and be the PG/CG we need for next season.

No. Aden and Wendell aren't even in the same stratosphere as Tahaad when it comes to athleticism and ability to score and get to the rim and actually finish. Aden was never that player. He's supposed to be the sharpshooter. I give Wendell credit for being pretty fearless and getting into the lane but those two are not Tahaad. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2024 at 6:13 PM, e808 said:

I wish the young man well. For whatever reason things went down hill once conference play started. Hopefully he goes outside the conference so he doesnt  have the chance to become a thorn in Auburn’s side. Mitchell comes to mind and it seems he is doing well in the pros 

I wonder what Nate Oats sees that we don't see?  

image.thumb.png.7df645041544b9da8f2daf9f89eb69c1.pngimage.thumb.png.951d4fd0db9225a7292ca897c332fded.png

Edited by JerryAU

46 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

image.thumb.png.7df645041544b9da8f2daf9f89eb69c1.pngimage.thumb.png.951d4fd0db9225a7292ca897c332fded.png

For sure there is a change in philosophy. Regardless would hate to see him in a Bama uniform and balling out.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, e808 said:

For sure there is a change in philosophy. Regardless would hate to see him in a Bama uniform and balling out.

Agreed.  Lord knows we heard enough this year about a Bama player (Sears) who could've easily been in O&B had our coaches just offered him.  I don't want to hear the lamenting and whining IF Holloway were to go there and show out in crimson. 😭

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Kid is still a really strong shooter even if he didn’t show it this season. It’s not like being at bama would generate better looks. He couldn’t even make the open 3’s at AU this year. Sears was not a good 3 point shooter his first season at Ohio either.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Kid is still a really strong shooter even if he didn’t show it this season. It’s not like being at bama would generate better looks. He couldn’t even make the open 3’s at AU this year. Sears was not a good 3 point shooter his first season at Ohio either.

Sometimes kids have to grow, mature and develop within a system.  I'm afraid this unrestricted transfer portal coupled with ungodly NIL money will make the notion of patience to stick with a team and soak up coaching & develop a thing of the past. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Agreed.  Lord knows we heard enough this year about a Bama player (Sears) who could've easily been in O&B had our coaches just offered him.  I don't want to hear the lamenting and whining IF Holloway were to go there and show out in crimson. 😭

You know, we missed on Sears. I hate it. But every other team in the entire nation missed on him , also. This horse is really dead at this point. It ain't like Oats got him when  every other blue blood in America wanted him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JerryAU said:

If Holloway were to go there and show out in crimson, the lamenting and whining would be completely justified 

• Love 1

Could you even imagine the negative recruiting that Oats would be able to do if he balled out at UAT? We would never hear the end of it.

• Sad 2

The best thing Alabama offers him to me (other than the obvious high level guard play they've had in general) is that they consistently yield multiple ball handlers. Think they just got a transfer guard that was a #1 option on South Florida. He'll be able to be more like how we should've used him (and did try towards the back half of the season); a scoring guard/off-ball guy. 

By the way, while Bama would be a great spot for him, this is just a visit and one that's pretty close for him to make. It isn't necessarily a sign that he's going to auto-commit to them lol. I'll be interested to see if any of the high-level Carolina squads from last year give him a whisper 

16 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Sometimes kids have to grow, mature and develop within a system.  I'm afraid this unrestricted transfer portal coupled with ungodly NIL money will make the notion of patience to stick with a team and soak up coaching & develop a thing of the past. 

Ya think? Lol, team loyalty, education, all that stuff is gone.

college athletics for the rich programs is now semi pro with no salary caps or contracts. Coaches invest tremendous time and resources only to see their hard work go to rival programs. 
pay up or I’m gone! Fans and donors held hostage. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The best thing Alabama offers him to me (other than the obvious high level guard play they've had in general) is that they consistently yield multiple ball handlers. Think they just got a transfer guard that was a #1 option on South Florida. He'll be able to be more like how we should've used him (and did try towards the back half of the season); a scoring guard/off-ball guy. 

By the way, while Bama would be a great spot for him, this is just a visit and one that's pretty close for him to make. It isn't necessarily a sign that he's going to auto-commit to them lol. I'll be interested to see if any of the high-level Carolina squads from last year give him a whisper 

All depends on the money. Sure saban will also just happen to be in the neighborhood. The de facto head coach and AD.

12 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Could you even imagine the negative recruiting that Oats would be able to do if he balled out at UAT? We would never hear the end of it.

This. Short of an injury or something, his performance this last season at AU is his floor. He’s gonna get stronger regardless of where he plays. Just hope that he doesn’t magically turn all-world, and certainly not at our cross-state rival.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Holloway is more salary he has to carry, more he has to convince boosters to spend, more Holloway will have to prove to justify it, same as here. 

No player has to stick around for four years and no program has to continue to pay their assumed market value, either. I doubt we had to money to wait for Aden to grow into his rep. It will be the same story at bama, if he chooses to go there. 

2 hours ago, TigerOne said:

All depends on the money. Sure saban will also just happen to be in the neighborhood. The de facto head coach and AD.

I would think of it as very shortsighted, no offense, to only think of this as being around money. They’ve produced multiple NBA guards recently (one just outperformed Stephen Curry in a play-in game yesterday) and had arguably the best point guard in college last year. 

Recruits are capable of factoring in more than NIL, in the NIL era 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

This. Short of an injury or something, his performance this last season at AU is his floor. He’s gonna get stronger regardless of where he plays.

I agree. All I've heard is that Aden has a strong work ethic so he's going to improve. The kid just needs a little time to mature.

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I would think of it as very shortsighted, no offense, to only think of this as being around money. They’ve produced multiple NBA guards recently (one just outperformed Stephen Curry in a play-in game yesterday) and had arguably the best point guard in college last year. 

Recruits are capable of factoring in more than NIL, in the NIL era 

lol Keon Ellis went undrafted dude. To give any credit to that fugly big ears coach would be extremely shortsighted but on brand for you. His development in to a legitimate nba rotation player is all credited to the Kings developmental training program and coaches and Ellis himself.

Edited by GwillMac6

If he ends up at turdtown…..I hope he falls flat on his face. He will be a turncoat, and I won’t support the move at any level. But, I won’t lose any sleep over it. The kid is soft. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol Keon Ellis went undrafted dude. To give any credit to that fugly big ears coach would be extremely shortsighted but on brand for you. His development in to a legitimate nba rotation player is all credited to the Kings developmental training program and coaches and Ellis himself.

Yep, every time someone goes undrafted, it’s because a lack of collegiate development. Austin Reaves, one of the best players in the Big 12, literally First Team, can’t have any of his development be sourced to Oklahoma because he went undrafted. Great post 

6 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

If he ends up at turdtown…..I hope he falls flat on his face. He will be a turncoat, and I won’t support the move at any level. But, I won’t lose any sleep over it. The kid is soft. 

Sheesh why so serious. Most preferred he hit the road anyways. Not sure about the turncoat. It was probably mutual between both sides

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yep, every time someone goes undrafted, it’s because a lack of collegiate development. Austin Reaves, one of the best players in the Big 12, literally First Team, can’t have any of his development be sourced to Oklahoma because he went undrafted. Great post 

Keon Ellis averaged 5 and 12 ppg at bama. He wasn’t on any all conference team. No one ever thought he would make an nba roster. He got a lot better away from yore beloved oats who you love to talk up any chance you can get.

2 hours ago, e808 said:

Sheesh why so serious. Most preferred he hit the road anyways. Not sure about the turncoat. It was probably mutual between both sides

Because I don’t respect a move like that under the circumstances. Petty as hell and I’m over the crap. No slack 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Keon Ellis averaged 5 and 12 ppg at bama. He wasn’t on any all conference team. No one ever thought he would make an nba roster. He got a lot better away from yore beloved oats who you love to talk up any chance you can get.

Anything else?