2013 5* DE Carl Lawson signs with AU!

AUTUmike

Thrilled to have Carl part of the AU family!! How could UGA not offer this kid??  :wareagle:

THUGA did not offer because he is a respectful kid from a good family!

So what you're saying is that Georgia doesn't offer scholarships to respectful kids from good families?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no excuse for stealing money from a teammate’s dorm room, just because you’re short of cash. No excuse for getting into a physical altercation with a girlfriend, just because there was an argument. No excuse for getting high, just because … well, just because. No excuse for exploring the cannabis culinary arts and eating Alice B. Toklas brownies, just because you were on spring break and you were hungry and, really, honest, pinky-swear, you didn’t even know that there was marijuana in them (uh, right.)

These are some of the reasons why Georgia coach Mark Richt has been suspending or dismissing players at an alarming rate lately – eight since January. This is when nobody seems to remember how many stars were by a recruit’s name on national signing day.

From AJC article written by Jeff Schultz

I hate to say it, but a lot of the things above could be said about people who played for us (or other programs in the SEC) and you know what they say about people who live in glass houses (they should never have gravel driveways).

Or....................Have very good insurance, and not mind a little breeze most of the time.

I am tickled pink to get this kid. Seems to ba a good kid from a good family who happens to be a great football player.

When we get a commitment from a player like this we don't need to bash another program just be happy we got him and give him a big big big :wareagle:

Thrilled to have Carl part of the AU family!! How could UGA not offer this kid??  :wareagle:

So what you're saying is that Georgia doesn't offer scholarships to respectful kids from good families?

Did not come out EXACTLY right, but there is some question to whether some of their recruits are bad seeds, or there is a lack of discipline within the football team from the HC on down on the team. Not sure what causes the many problems they continue to have, but  somewhere there appears to be a disconnect!

That said all teams face some level of off field problems, just THUGA did not earn that acronym from on field success!

Did not come out EXACTLY right, but there is some question to whether some of their recruits are bad seeds, or there is a lack of discipline within the football team from the HC on down on the team. Not sure what causes the many problems they continue to have, but  somewhere there appears to be a disconnect!

That said all teams face some level of off field problems, just THUGA did not earn that acronym from on field success!

Well yeah, that's true, but I was pointing out where you made it seem that way. I've made fun of UGA players, too, and when I worked in Warner Robins, the only other guy in the store who really knew anything about football was a Georgia Tech fan, and we had tons of fun joking about...well, everything, because again, no one else knew enough football to keep up. If we wanted to really confuse them then he'd start talking triple option and I'd start talking wing T.

We got to talking about synthetic marijuana one day because some players got busted for it (was it at LSU maybe?), and one of the UGA fans said something about how he was glad his players didn't do stuff like that. Right on cue, Brett (the GT fan) chimed in with, "Yeah, there's nothing synthetic about what they're smoking, is there?" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Five star and number 5 player in the nation according to ESPN 150 Dropped today.  Liner is only three spots below him and is the highest four star, giving us two players in the top ten.  I agree with the way they think

Five star and number 5 player in the nation according to ESPN 150 Dropped today.  Liner is only three spots below him and is the highest four star, giving us two players in the top ten.  I agree with the way they think

And if we can flip Reuben Foster......

I think O.J. Howard flips before Foster. I think Foster is pretty set on playing in Saban's defense, BUT it is recruiting, it's only April and it definitely doesn't hurt for him to be in Auburn for his entire SR season and to have AU constantly in his ear. No telling how many unofficials he's gonna make to AU next year.

Comments are comments and can be taken with a grain of salt, but article today on Foster did not indicate he was interested in anyone but the turds.

I think O.J. Howard flips before Foster. I think Foster is pretty set on playing in Saban's defense, BUT it is recruiting, it's only April and it definitely doesn't hurt for him to be in Auburn for his entire SR season and to have AU constantly in his ear. No telling how many unofficials he's gonna make to AU next year.

I agree with your take. And I haven't seen anything to indicate that OJ will flip other than he "grew up AU". Growing up being a fan of a school doesn't seem to help land anyone much anymore.

Wiregrass....I agree....the top kids are all thinking "career" and looking at what might get them to the NFL.  Guess they all figure you can learn to love an ugly girl too if you give it a chance. 

I'm not going to waste any energy or brain cells hoping that RF and OJ end up at Auburn.  They should go where they want.

Wiregrass....I agree....the top kids are all thinking "career" and looking at what might get them to the NFL.  Guess they all figure you can learn to love an ugly girl too if you give it a chance. 

I'm not going to waste any energy or brain cells hoping that RF and OJ end up at Auburn.   They should go where they want.

Amen. Worrying about the decisions of 17 year olds will raise your blood pressure. I stopped caring last year. True Auburn men find their way to Auburn. I'd love for them to flip but we have plenty of studs that love Auburn and that list will only grow.

If Montravius Adams ends up signing with us (which looks probable) that gives us 3 of the top-15 with the potential for more if either Foster of Bigelow flips (which looks less probable). Regardless, class is shaping up quite nicely.

I'm not going to waste any energy or brain cells hoping that RF and OJ end up at Auburn.   They should go where they want.

Remember, kids have very short memories. Last year, Lutz did a lot of blocking while Bama's TE's were a big part of their offensive productivity. These kids are cautious because they don't know what product we are putting on the field next year. If CSL runs the offense we think he'll run, using multiples, then an elite TE like Howard may change his tune.

Guest jrljr

If Montravius Adams ends up signing with us (which looks probable) that gives us 3 of the top-15 with the potential for more if either Foster of Bigelow flips (which looks less probable). Regardless, class is shaping up quite nicely.

I am believeing (Faith) that this will happen. Our "D" commits are awesome already. Adding an Adams or a Foster IS GOING toe be NICE!

:aufb:

I agree with your take. And I haven't seen anything to indicate that OJ will flip other than he "grew up AU". Growing up being a fan of a school doesn't seem to help land anyone much anymore.

Don't know if I agree with all of this. If kids grow up a fan of a certain school, 9 times out of 10, they're going to that school. Now yes, obviously things do change, and some kids are smart enough to put that allegiance aside and see what school is going to best prepare them for their dreams. Yeldon was a self-proclaimed 'Bama fan growing up and had his best friend (who happened to be a UA fan and commit) in his ear all the time. While Yeldon going to Bama certainly sucked, it wasn't a surprise.

Dee Liner is a self-proclaimed AU fan. If for no other reason, this is why I think Liner's situation is different. I feel A LOT more confident about Liner than I did Yeldon. That's not to say Liner won't end up at Bama -- because let's face it, Saban's defense is top-tier and ours has been scraping the bottom of the barrel the last 3 years -- but I think Liner's affection for AU along with the hire of BVG will ultimately keep Liner with the good guys.

If kids grow up a fan of a certain school, 9 times out of 10, they're going to that school.

For athletes being recruited there's no way that is true. I'd be willing to bet that they go to the school that can most readily get them ready for the next level or the school that sells their program the best.

Now for a regular student, that statement could easily be true.

I didn't read it but there is an article on al.com with Mel (bad hair) Kyper saying  :devil: better prepares his players for the NFL. Like I say, I did not read it, but if recruits see it, those on the fence could be persuaded to sign with the turds. I feel once recruits get to see what kind of offense CSL puts out, and the fact he has a knack for developing QB's, You will see more recruits look this way. Same with CBVG and his defense.

:beatmullet::tdau::zapbama:

I didn't read it but there is an article on al.com with Mel (bad hair) Kyper saying  :devil: better prepares his players for the NFL. Like I say, I did not read it, but if recruits see it, those on the fence could be persuaded to sign with the turds. I feel once recruits get to see what kind of offense CSL puts out, and the fact he has a knack for developing QB's, You will see more recruits look this way. Same with CBVG and his defense.

I would think the fact that Van Gorder has been a successful NFL coach here recently might mean something to them, too, and don't think that they haven't been hearing it from our coaches.

Although I agree that under Roof our defense has not been stellar, look at a few of the AU greats still playing at the next level.

Karlos Dansby

Jarraud Powers

Takeo Spikes

Reggie Tobor

Dontarrious Thomas

Karlos Rogers

Quintin Groves

Antonio Coleman

Nick Fairley

And now that we have Brian Van Gorder, a SUCCESSFUL NFL COACH, as our Defensive Coordinator, that should play VERY WELL in the recruiting game. BVG's defensives are known for tenacity and success at the college and NFL level.

If kids grow up a fan of a certain school, 9 times out of 10, they're going to that school.

For athletes being recruited there's no way that is true. I'd be willing to bet that they go to the school that can most readily get them ready for the next level or the school that sells their program the best.

The counter arguement is that the top athletes will get to  the league no matter where they go to school.  The choices of players like Clowney, Dorial Beckham Green, Stephon Diggs, and many others shows that they often stay with their allegiance that they had before being recruited.  There are obviously also a lot that don't.

Archived