I'm confused, but sw and jj are the same

cole256

I think the blueprint on stopping the Gus Bus offense is keep everything in front of you. Do not give up the big play because that is where Gus makes his living. All the side to side action and 2 yard gains up the middle are to bring the safeties in and then you burn them deep by having them out of position -- whether by pass or on the ground. If you commit to eliminating the big play you are putting your money on forcing Gus to string together 12 play drives and the chances of a drive killing mistake (holding) or Gus getting too cute on the playcalls increase. And then forcing the O to score in the red-zone has been a huge problem for Gus lately. IDK if it's an OL issue or what.

Gus' 2 most prolific offenses at AU were predicated on running essentially the same thing over and over. Keep running Cam, or keep running the zone read with NM and Tre Mason.

We need that money play for this team and unfortunately I think we need a big time threat on the ground from the QB

I've noticed often it seems like AU's first drive -- the pre-scripted drive -- always has lots of variety and, vs Miss St, looked good. Then we get away from that style of playcalling.

it worked for Diaz because we didn't make our rushing success count in points. If we had those safeties will start creeping up. Then you burn them.

I'm just telling you how I look at it. If it was me I'm blitzing on first playing the cover 2 and making a struggling offense with a new qb make the right decision consecutively on alot of plays. I wouldn't change that up until the redzone or I think the qb figured it out.

I agree with you Cole. I would even take it a step further. Forcing Gus to call long drives doesn't seem to be his strong suit unless he has a money play in his playbook. Eventually something will happen to derail the drive. Whether it be the freshman QB making a mistake or Gus deciding to deviate from the plays that were working up until that point, a long drive is bad news for the AU offense currently.

Exactly. You KNOW a reverse or outside sweep will be coming. Just be patient and disciplined, catch it. Now they're in a 3rd and 13. We got him.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's true. Man, what a difference just getting 2 TDs (lol or 1 for that matter) out of the 4 RZ possessions would've been. If we had the same exact production except for finishing 2 of those drives properly I think the vibe around here and the program (and the QB) is completely different.

Yep exactly, a bad snap at the 1 yd. line, an INT instead of running it out of bounds in the RZ. We are talking about 2 plays that failed because of player execution. From that, we have all these conclusions/proclamations in here about the coaching staff, the play calling and the program. It's ridiculous.

are you comfortable with check down city? the LSU game was over before it started and He did make key passes against Jacksonville state when needed. has sean white since wearing an AU helmet threw a TD? here Is his spring stats. I was at the game he threw check downs.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/04/check_out_full_stats_mvp_award.html

That's true. Man, what a difference just getting 2 TDs (lol or 1 for that matter) out of the 4 RZ possessions would've been. If we had the same exact production except for finishing 2 of those drives properly I think the vibe around here and the program (and the QB) is completely different.

Yep exactly, a bad snap at the 1 yd. line, an INT instead of running it out of bounds in the RZ. We are talking about 2 plays that failed because of player execution. From that, we have all these conclusions/proclamations in here about the coaching staff, the play calling and the program. It's ridiculous.

Yep, we aren't a good team this year but we aren't as bad as some are thinking. The team just needs to be able to put it all together at the same time. We have seen good play only in spurts so far..even if they were small spurts haha

are you comfortable with check down city? the LSU game was over before it started and He did make key passes against Jacksonville state when needed. has sean white since wearing an AU helmet threw a TD? here Is his spring stats. I was at the game he threw check downs.

http://www.al.com/au..._mvp_award.html

Are you implying JJ is a better option at QB because SW throws check downs? Asking because you seem to be slaying SW here but the other option at QB obviously makes worse decisions with the ball. What do you propose is done?

Just saw this from @WarRoomEagle. Three OLs in the end zone, Barber doesn't follow them:

https://vine.co/v/exLn3htYVJ5

It wasn't just the bad snap, and it wasn't just the OL's fault.

EDIT: I post that to further your point, not to argue against it.

Just saw this from @WarRoomEagle. Three OLs in the end zone, Barber doesn't follow them:

wow. That was blocked very well. I didn't catch it live.

I think the blueprint on stopping the Gus Bus offense is keep everything in front of you. Do not give up the big play because that is where Gus makes his living. All the side to side action and 2 yard gains up the middle are to bring the safeties in and then you burn them deep by having them out of position -- whether by pass or on the ground. If you commit to eliminating the big play you are putting your money on forcing Gus to string together 12 play drives and the chances of a drive killing mistake (holding) or Gus getting too cute on the playcalls increase. And then forcing the O to score in the red-zone has been a huge problem for Gus lately. IDK if it's an OL issue or what.

Gus' 2 most prolific offenses at AU were predicated on running essentially the same thing over and over. Keep running Cam, or keep running the zone read with NM and Tre Mason.

We need that money play for this team and unfortunately I think we need a big time threat on the ground from the QB

I've noticed often it seems like AU's first drive -- the pre-scripted drive -- always has lots of variety and, vs Miss St, looked good. Then we get away from that style of playcalling.

it worked for Diaz because we didn't make our rushing success count in points. If we had those safeties will start creeping up. Then you burn them.

I'm just telling you how I look at it. If it was me I'm blitzing on first playing the cover 2 and making a struggling offense with a new qb make the right decision consecutively on alot of plays. I wouldn't change that up until the redzone or I think the qb figured it out.

I agree with you Cole. I would even take it a step further. Forcing Gus to call long drives doesn't seem to be his strong suit unless he has a money play in his playbook. Eventually something will happen to derail the drive. Whether it be the freshman QB making a mistake or Gus deciding to deviate from the plays that were working up until that point, a long drive is bad news for the AU offense currently.

Exactly. You KNOW a reverse or outside sweep will be coming. Just be patient and disciplined, catch it. Now they're in a 3rd and 13. We got him.

Hey Tiger, don't say we need the QB to be a threat at running or playmaker like Cam or NM, that's looked down upon here. All we need is a game manager and we'll win the rest of the games this year. Really though, at least someone on here realizes how Gus' offense operates, and the importance of having a dual threat QB is to making us go from 8-9 wins to a championship team....

I actually was going to mention that, (not that particular play but running into lineman and stuff) but I can only criticize one board favorite at a time

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/04/check_out_full_stats_mvp_award.html

when has sean white not been a check down man? Even when He competed for the Job his number mirrored Saturday night numbers. LSU and Mississippi state are polar opposites defensively. JJ interceptions went down each game. I think JJ made some terrible passes but also few good ones but maybe I am wrong but it appears sean white I managing the game and not making plays.

Yep, there is a 3rd one. Good catch.

#36 dropped a hammer on a LB. Kozan pulled and that has to be the designed gap to run in.

#36 dropped a hammer on a LB. Kozan pulled and that has to be the designed gap to run in.

Good point about Pettway's block. That's good to see. I think he and Cox are going to get there, but they've had trouble blocking SEC defenders out in space. No surprise there.

Since JJ and SW aren't the answer what is? I'd like to see three running backs on the field at once, maybe a Gus version of the trip option

Who said SW isn't the answer?

Not me, but there is a lack of confidence in both in the thread.

Maybe it's the fact that Sean went through his progressions and nothing was there, so he went to the checkdown. State was playing two deep safety all night. Would you rather Sean throw into double and triple coverage?

Since JJ and SW aren't the answer what is? I'd like to see three running backs on the field at once, maybe a Gus version of the trip option

Who said SW isn't the answer?

101s been all over that one. Of course nobody noticed that, if the sacks caused by the Oline are taken away, Sean had a much better first game against MSU rushing the ball than did Cam Newton or Nick Marshall. Take away the sacks, and Sean White had 64 yards on 7 carries for 9 yards a carry. NM against MSU in his 3rd game of the season ran 10 times for 22 yards at 2.2 ypc and Cam Newton, in his second game of the year ran it 18 times for 70 yards or 3.9 ypc....maybe SW is a dual threat after all????

Wait, what? You would blitz on first playing the cover 2? You do realize that the cover 2 is 2 safeties playing zone and everyone else is in man coverage right? Therefore every guy you blitzed there would be a receiver running free and unaccounted for. Surely I am misreading what you are trying to say.

Yikes. I bet a more experienced back doesn't make that mistake.

Hey Tiger, don't say we need the QB to be a threat at running or playmaker like Cam or NM, that's looked down upon here. All we need is a game manager and we'll win the rest of the games this year. Really though, at least someone on here realizes how Gus' offense operates, and the importance of having a dual threat QB is to making us go from 8-9 wins to a championship team....

Yeah man. Gus can have an effective offense with a pocket passer. However, his offenses become truly elite when he has that run/pass threat lining up at QB.

Wait, what? You would blitz on first playing the cover 2? You do realize that the cover 2 is 2 safeties playing zone and everyone else is in man coverage right? Therefore every guy you blitzed there would be a receiver running free and unaccounted for. Surely I am misreading what you are trying to say.

I'm not a coach but I remember a cover 2 with zone played by all secondary and linebackers. There is a man and zone version, hard to tell with how ESPN broadcasted it ... I miss NCAA FOOTBALL by EA

Either way cover 2 is very basic, it gets beat all the time.

I'm not a coach but I remember a cover 2 with zone played by all secondary and linebackers. There is a man and zone version, hard to tell with how ESPN broadcasted it ... I miss NCAA FOOTBALL by EA

Either way cover 2 is very basic, it gets beat all the time.

Yes but even in zone, blitzing leaves holes all over the field. If we can't move the ball on a defense when we know what's coming we have bigger problems than what I was thinking.

It depends on what offense formation is if somebody would be running free actually....But anyway I actually should have placed a semi colon there but when writing from the phone I'm usually in text massage mode. But if you read all my posts you'd see I said I'd believe we wouldn't be passing on first down so I'd run blitz that down. Then I'd play cover 2. I wasn't meaning I'd be blitzing from a cover 2 play.

I played a little though, yeah I realize cover 2 is two safeties lol. Actually believe it or not miss st safety coman and linebacker B Brown...well I'll just say I've talked and helped both with some football things when they were younger

Archived