Daily Recruiting News (includes commit times)

ClaytonAU

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tre Nixon commits to Ole Miss... I'm shocked.

i didn't even know he was considering Ole Miss

he took an OV there this weekend but even then UGA was trending. Maybe NCM cancelled his OV and Ole Miss told Nixon that he was their guy?

This year, you'd have to say we mis-evaluated some guys, and you'd have to say we the differing philosophies/targets among staffs made an impact.

Mack Wilson was never really a consideration for us. Ben Davis was always going to be an uphill battle. We were "in it" with Rashaun Smith and Tre Lamar, but it seems like Muschamp and his gang just got out-recruited on those guys.

The pre-Muschamp staff wasn't on Bituli, but Muschamp loved the guy. We just missed out on him. After that, we were on-again, off-again with EMB. Muschamp wasn't really recruiting Uche, but the new staff liked him. We had a shot at him, but we were late to the party. That's either a disagreement between staffs or mis-evaluation (find him faster).

There are certainly some I don't understand, like the kids from Florence and Phenix City going to Mississippi State. Seems like I never heard much about Thompson or Couch. Maybe that's just me missing the news on both guys. It certainly seems odd that MSU came into Alabama and pulled more guys at a position of need than Auburn could.

Everything you say is accurate. However, for four of the last five years a similar list of things could be said about why we failed at LB recruiting. It long ago changed from reasons into excuses.

Whether it's to his credit or not, the only decent year we've had in LB recruiting since 2010 is last year, when Hothead was here.

This year, you'd have to say we mis-evaluated some guys, and you'd have to say we the differing philosophies/targets among staffs made an impact.

Mack Wilson was never really a consideration for us. Ben Davis was always going to be an uphill battle. We were "in it" with Rashaun Smith and Tre Lamar, but it seems like Muschamp and his gang just got out-recruited on those guys.

The pre-Muschamp staff wasn't on Bituli, but Muschamp loved the guy. We just missed out on him. After that, we were on-again, off-again with EMB. Muschamp wasn't really recruiting Uche, but the new staff liked him. We had a shot at him, but we were late to the party. That's either a disagreement between staffs or mis-evaluation (find him faster).

There are certainly some I don't understand, like the kids from Florence and Phenix City going to Mississippi State. Seems like I never heard much about Thompson or Couch. Maybe that's just me missing the news on both guys. It certainly seems odd that MSU came into Alabama and pulled more guys at a position of need than Auburn could.

Everything you say is accurate. However, for four of the last five years a similar list of things could be said about why we failed at LB recruiting. It long ago changed from reasons into excuses.

Whether it's to his credit or not, the only decent year we've had in LB recruiting since 2010 is last year, when Hothead was here.

Of course it's to his credit.

But, yeah, there might be legit excuses every season but at some point you have to figure out why those excuses only apply to linebacker every year and address it.

Of course it's to his credit.

But, yeah, there might be legit excuses every season but at some point you have to figure out why those excuses only apply to linebacker every year and address it.

I couldn't agree more! In fact, you've hit my gripe with our LB recruiting right in the center! :) The first step in solving a problem is recognizing that there is a problem and it's only the past few months that the dismal LB recruiting seems to have become a popular concern.

I'll still argue with you about a lot of things, Mikey, but linebacker is off that list. You've shown admirable restraint because you most definitely told us so.

I'll still argue with you about a lot of things, Mikey, but linebacker is off that list. You've shown admirable restraint because you most definitely told us so.

And told us so and told us so and told us so and ....

;D

Just kidding, Mikey.

He announced a few days ago AU, Rebs, & UGA were his final 3 but the Rebs have been in it for at least a month now.

he took an OV there this weekend but even then UGA was trending. Maybe NCM cancelled his OV and Ole Miss told Nixon that he was their guy?

Or could just as easily be the opposite in that Tre could have committed to the Rebs staff while on OV and the Rebs staff tell NCM they are done @ WR so no need to OV. Not saying that happened but it's just as if not more likely

And told us so and told us so and told us so and ....

;D

Just kidding, Mikey.

You were kidding when you said and told us so and told us so, etc. But your were correct and Mikey did. It is because he made such a good case for our weakness at LB that I finally came around and started realizing how right he had been.

Thanks Mikey :jossun:

Theoretically, all of these coaches moving around the SEC should neutralize things but starting to look like AU is going to be the biggest loser when the letters are signed.

JMO but Thompson has been recruiting on behalf of AU for a couple years and when left, I would have thought his "connection" with the HS juniors and seniors would have been tight enough to influence them toward USCe.....not sure that's happening but maybe his leaving has cut the ties some of the guys had to AU. I'm wondering if with the changes taking place, the doors have been opened to some of the schools with more stability on their coaching staffs to go after guys who saw their coaching contact leave from where they were leaning.

We've lost 2 more OL.

OT, Lucas Niang to TCU and OT, Breontae Matthews to Kansas State.

We did not lose them. Matthews did not have an AU offer. I don't Niang did either. If he did, it was not committable.

starting to look like AU is going to be the biggest loser when the letters are signed.

Yep! A top 10 class makes us the biggest loser.

soccer-miss.gif

In Rival's USCe is currently ranked 32 with 25 commits Auburn is ranked 14 with 17 and we are looking very good for 5-6 4* or better players. With that in mind we have a poster who says Auburn is losing compared to schools like USC'e because of the coaching change. We will finish in the Top Ten. If that is loosing it is not so bad.

Theoretically, all of these coaches moving around the SEC should neutralize things but starting to look like AU is going to be the biggest loser when the letters are signed.

JMO but Thompson has been recruiting on behalf of AU for a couple years and when left, I would have thought his "connection" with the HS juniors and seniors would have been tight enough to influence them toward USCe.....not sure that's happening but maybe his leaving has cut the ties some of the guys had to AU. I'm wondering if with the changes taking place, the doors have been opened to some of the schools with more stability on their coaching staffs to go after guys who saw their coaching contact leave from where they were leaning.

What's your deal man? You've been so negative lately. We're going to finish a top 10 class with a complete turnover on defensive staff?

Regarding LB's and the lack thereof at AU, we have not had dogs that would hunt rabbits since coach Whitt. He was the last guy at AU that could walk in any school anywhere in this state and command respect. It did not matter if it was a school that was crawling with the Row Tahd gang or Auburn High, coaches welcomed him and he always had long established relationships with players, high school coaches, and families. The dogs we have had over the last 10 years will not get in the briars and get their tails bloody. Sure they show up to hunt rabbits and they have a loud bark but they are not working to make those relationships with the communities like Whitt did. If you want to change the outcome we have had in recruiting in state LBs then you better go out right now and hit the 8th graders hard and their parents hard. These kids have to have a long relationship with coaches. You can't wait until they are Juniors and decide to pursue them to try to get them here. It is too late. The reason Garner has success when he does with kids is because he has been on them forever and been on the parents forever.

Regarding LB's and the lack thereof at AU, we have not had dogs that would hunt rabbits since coach Whitt. He was the last guy at AU that could walk in any school anywhere in this state and command respect. It did not matter if it was a school that was crawling with the Row Tahd gang or Auburn High, coaches welcomed him and he always had long established relationships with players, high school coaches, and families. The dogs we have had over the last 10 years will not get in the briars and get their tails bloody. Sure they show up to hunt rabbits and they have a loud bark but they are not working to make those relationships with the communities like Whitt did. If you want to change the outcome we have had in recruiting in state LBs then you better go out right now and hit the 8th graders hard and their parents hard. These kids have to have a long relationship with coaches. You can't wait until they are Juniors and decide to pursue them to try to get them here. It is too late. The reason Garner has success when he does with kids is because he has been on them forever and been on the parents forever.

Great post

the only problem with this is the fact that we haven't had a coach around long enough to form a relationship from 8th grade on. therefore, the coaching carousel must first change before the recruiting can............................

starting to look like AU is going to be the biggest loser when the letters are signed.

Yep! A top 10 class makes us the biggest loser.

soccer-miss.gif

My only question is, where did you get the HS soccer tape of AU IVORY_DEALER?

Relax folks.... We will be fine, and will land a very good OL or 2. This will be a very nice class and should be a top 10 class. We have recruited well over the past 4-5 years, and this will yield some excellent Auburn teams in the near future. Teams such as Ole Miss, will hit a top 10 class every 4-5 years, and the other years will be top 25 teams.

With this being said, Auburn has had top 12 classes year end and out for quite a few years, and this will equate to a succession of 9 or more win seasons down the road.

Archived