2021 4* RB Armoni Goodwin (LSU)

cole256

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Kool aid might be a 5 star but Goodwin is the best player in the state and that’s no disrespect to Kool aid. 

Hard to say. Supposedly Kool Aid played dinged up last night.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Supposedly Kool Aid played dinged up last night.

Technically so did Goodwin. In that interview you posted from the other day he said he wasn’t completely 100% yet. But this is something I’ve been thinking for awhile now, I’m not just reacting off that one game from last night

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Hard to say. Supposedly Kool Aid played dinged up last night.

This would make sense. Watching some of the plays when he was on D, something seemed a little off with him

Kool-aid (along with a few other Pinson players) were cramping during the second half. Armani isn’t 100% but he got more confident with each carry. 

I wouldn’t compare them based off last night. Armani had the better game, sure, and Trey Washington (Ole Miss) made 3 very big defensive plays to breakup passes to Kool-aid. It was clear that Coach Floyd’s plan was to keep the ball out of Kool-aid’s hands which led to some big run backs on short kickoffs. 

I’ll take both players though. 

13 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Goodwin looks amazing. Somebody tweeted Tre Mason vibes except Armoni is bigger and faster. Buckle up if accurate.

Not sure AG is faster. Tre ran a legit 4.5 at the NFL Combine.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not sure AG is faster. Tre ran a legit 4.5 at the NFL Combine.

And hopefully Goodwin is a couple hundredths faster by the time he leaves AU, too :)

He does run track and I found one 100m time for him of 10.96. Everything I see on him goes back to speed and explosion ("but he's not just a speed back", etc). Not sure exactly how that compares to Tre but Tre wasn't really a home run guy while he was here. 

Could also be a difference in track fast vs football fast. Or not.

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Not sure exactly how that compares to Tre but Tre wasn't really a home run guy while he was here. 

Tre learned how to run in 'beast-mode' if that is a thing.   He also had a good line and LBs weren't cheating up because Nick Marshall was such a threat.   So Tre sure had some things helping him.

It was so much fun watching him get better as the season unfolded.

3 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Tre learned how to run in 'beast-mode' if that is a thing.   He also had a good line and LBs weren't cheating up because Nick Marshall was such a threat.   So Tre sure had some things helping him.

Agreed. In addition to GRob and Nick, he had Cory Grant as another threat out of the backfield and Jay freakin' Prosch opening holes... but like you said, he also got those tough yards. He had a really low center of gravity and freakish balance. He could do this weird thing where his torso and even thighs would be almost parallel to the ground but he could still take 3-4 more steps. And that pile-moving leg churn. Such a pleasure to watch him play. 

Bottom line is we have a good one in Armoni he showed that in the game and was not quite up to 100%.  Mckinistry was not dominant but playing two ways puts a lot of wear and tear on the body which could also explain the cramping in second half.  I am ready to have Mckinstry commit and join Armoni in this class which is shaping up as an awfully good class.  

2 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I am ready to have Mckinstry commit and join Armoni in this class which is shaping up as an awfully good class.  

Considering how we are getting great quality commits for all the genuine  needs, could be the 'best class in 10 yrs'  IMO.   Maybe longer.    

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

Considering how we are getting great quality commits for all the genuine  needs, could be the 'best class in 10 yrs'  IMO.   Maybe longer.    

I am right there with you assuming we finish as well as we have started.

4 minutes ago, Beaker said:

If JBoy is close with his mock, then it's up for discussion. I'd have to look, though, unless we get *Mims. If we get Mims along with one of Kool-Aid and Mondon, much less both, then I wouldn't bother looking, lol. 

*Which is not to say that I don't like our OL class. I'm really high on 3 of the guys, just going by what I've heard. But Mims would take it into "uh oh I just messed m'drawers" territory. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Tre wasn't really a home run guy while he was here.

Interesting opinion given Tre busted off a few long runs in his career.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Possibly.

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

FTR Tre did have some long runs as a freshman with poor OL play, including at least 1 in the Iron Bowl.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FTR Tre did have some long runs as a freshman with poor OL play, including at least 1 in the Iron Bowl.

Dude returned a kick to the house first time he ever touched the football his freshman year, IIRC.

But no, he wasn't really a speed guy IMO. He had long runs but usually got caught from behind. Where he really excelled was in initial burst. He could get to the second level in a hurry, for sure., and had that good 40 time, but I think we'd probably see a big difference between him and true speed guys in the 100m. 

44 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I was going to say he had really good speed before he bulked up. wasnt a 60 yard run guy after that, but his burst like @McLoofus said stayed very good from yr 1 on.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Dude returned a kick to the house first time he ever touched the football his freshman year, IIRC.

But no, he wasn't really a speed guy IMO. He had long runs but usually got caught from behind. Where he really excelled was in initial burst. He could get to the second level in a hurry, for sure., and had that good 40 time, but I think we'd probably see a big difference between him and true speed guys in the 100m. 

Agreed. The dude was fast, for sure, just didn't possess elite speed. No knock on him. As far as ranking his talents/traits, speed would fall behind burst, lateral quickness, and balance, for me. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

Agreed. The dude was fast, for sure, just didn't possess elite speed. No knock on him. As far as ranking his talents/traits, speed would fall behind burst, lateral quickness, and balance, for me. 

1,000,000% 

I'll throw vision on that pile, too. 

52 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Look at a couple of great NFL running backs Walter Peyton, Emmit Smith.  Neither had what you would call elite speed but they had lateral quickness, balance, burst,  and the ability to make people miss enough to break a tackle. They both were strong enough and tough enough to gain yardage after being hit squarely. They also had great vision and used that to help setup their blockers.

One of Kerryon Johnson's biggest strength's was his vision he seldom blindly ran into a hole. If a play was designed to go outside the tackle but Defensive End  took an outside loop Kerryon took what was given to him and cut inside off tackle's back end rather then run exactly where the play was designed to go. 

However, just as talented as he was,  he obviously needed some counseling somewhere along the line.  After he imploded with the Rams, I read he tried the CFL, but just couldn't get it all together.

Hope he saved some money and is making "life work".

Thanks Tre for the memories.

War Eagle!

Archived