KJ Britt likely leaving after this season

Zeek

Since forever, players have been paid to play in the Senior Bowl. There is NO coming back to college after that. Amateur status is lost. Now, that could have been changed recently but if it has changed I'm not aware of it.

Are we really surprised by this?  I thought it was pretty well known that he was gone after this year.

With his injury and the lack of stats this year, he may decide to return to try and boost his stock, but I highly doubt it.

4 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

If he enters the draft it's a very odd decision IMHO. 

I mean he was a high day 2 guy coming into the season. Maybe that rises playing against Bama and A&M. Certainly not worth risking another year that'll feature practices in potential covid conditions or any of this BS. Not to even mention the risk of another injury. I don't know why he'd come back to tell you the truth. You don't get burnt going for the pan and look to grab it again the exact same way 

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Since forever, players have been paid to play in the Senior Bowl. There is NO coming back to college after that. Amateur status is lost. Now, that could have been changed recently but if it has changed I'm not aware of it.

I didn't know 100% for sure so I didn't want to say definitively. Agreed with you though I don't think they can come back after. 

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

Are we really surprised by this?  I thought it was pretty well known that he was gone after this year.

With his injury and the lack of stats this year, he may decide to return to try and boost his stock, but I highly doubt it.

There's been a lot of people saying it seems like the injury and extra year of eligibility might have kept him here.

Where, in the draft, do you think he lands?

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

To your point, I'd think the injury could be as much a deterrent as an incentive. 

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I mean he was a high day 2 guy coming into the season. Maybe that rises playing against Bama and A&M. Certainly not worth risking another year that'll feature practices in potential covid conditions or any of this BS. Not to even mention the risk of another injury. I don't know why he'd come back to tell you the truth. You don't get burnt going for the pan and look to grab it again the exact same way 

Always going to be those fans that doubt the kids that leave "early".  Out of genuine concern for the players' best interests, of course.

Honestly...If a kid is good enough to get drafted, I never think it is a mistake to leave. You are not guaranteed anything in this game and one play could end your career. Even if you go on to get a great job making $150K a year, that is no match for even the league minimum. Get signed ...play 3-4 seasons if you can...live frugally...and then you have enough money to invest, live on interest and never have to worry about money if you are smart.

Leaving is probably right choice.  Anytime you lose a player like Britt it hurts but the fact he got hurt and others had a chance to play this year will help next year.  Wish him the best of luck I have loved watching downhill Britt since he arrived.

When he comes back the last couple of games it's going to be hard to start him over Pappoe and McClain.  He can give them much needed rest, but both are getting better each week.

I kinda thought it was a foregone conclusion that Britt was gone, even with the extra year he could play due to COVID. I rather doubt he is going to improve his draft stock a whole lot by coming back to Auburn another year. And sure, it'd be nice to have him on the team next year, but we'll still have Pappoe and McClain, and maybe Chandler Wooten will come back, as well, to play out his eligibility. If not, we do have a few young guys who can pick up the slack as reserves. I wish KJ the absolute best.

Actually, I'm not really sure why he would even suit up for any of the remaining games ****IF**** he thinks he is NFL bound. The question for him is -- do I have anything more to prove to NFL scouts? If he thinks he does, he will be out there asap. But if not, he will sit out the rest of the season. This is a weird year and a tough call for a lot of players this year. Personally, I'm not sure he's really high on the draft list and he could be best served by getting out there and making things happen. But he (and whoever is advising him) may have a different opinion.

2 hours ago, AURex said:

Actually, I'm not really sure why he would even suit up for any of the remaining games......

Probably because he'd like to help Auburn University win those remaining games. Even in these days and times, not everybody has an "I'm all that matters and devil take the rest of you" attitude.

10 hours ago, AURex said:

Actually, I'm not really sure why he would even suit up for any of the remaining games ****IF**** he thinks he is NFL bound. The question for him is -- do I have anything more to prove to NFL scouts? If he thinks he does, he will be out there asap. But if not, he will sit out the rest of the season. This is a weird year and a tough call for a lot of players this year. Personally, I'm not sure he's really high on the draft list and he could be best served by getting out there and making things happen. But he (and whoever is advising him) may have a different opinion.

If I'm not mistaken, the main hole in his game has been pass coverage. And I'm not sure he wants to try to change that narrative against bama. TAMU, maybe? I dunno. 

But it might also help for him to just go out there and show that he's all the way back from his injury so that won't be a knock against him. But I don't really know enough about various injuries to know which ones are red flags and which aren't. 

Archived