Gus has No Shame

AUght2win

2 hours ago, PUB78 said:

If you take away the 3 cupcakes games on the schedule for the previous 7 seasons, he is not much better than 500 winning %. He is typically an 8-5 coach with 3 cupcake wins every year. 
Auburn is paying Gus Mercedes wages but getting used Chevy results. 
He must be replaced after the MSU game.

After today, he is 1 game over .500 against Power 5 opponents since the start of 2014.

And he's 27-31 against Power 5 opponents with a winning record during that span.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Unreal. I can’t believe he actually said that. What happens if State beat us next week? 
losing sucks. 

I can't believe Auburn would lose to them, if we do Gus needs to go

1 minute ago, Auburn06 said:

Gus needs to go whether we lose or not

5 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Maybe he's trying to get fired at this point. Makes me sick. 

Screenshot_20201205-153937_Chrome.jpg

So he's saying  60% SEC win record is "solid"?  And that is his idea of a "solid" season for Auburn?

6 minutes ago, Auburn06 said:

Dude, you realize that State played UGA much closer than we did, right?

They can absolutely beat us and I won't be shocked if it happens.

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Especially with our awful secondary. 

55 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I havent been paying attention to UGA or Miss state in non Alabama/Auburn/LSU/Florida games

6 hours ago, Win4AU said:

That’s pretty damning.  If I’m Allen Greene he’s in my office first thing Monday explaining himself.  Of all the things he’s said and done this may be the thing that gets him fired.  That’s not a competitive mentality 

it's not the end of the world ranks pretty high for me after the L S U lost in 2017

6 hours ago, AURex said:

If he had a shred of integrity, he would go to Greene and say "Obviously, I'm not the best coach for Auburn. I resign and nullify my contract, so you don't owe me anything more" and leave.

I feel Gus is more in line with the scene in "Goodfellas"

Offense sucks-F-you. Pay me 

Defense really sucks-F-you. Pay me.

Team looked totally unprepared-F-you. Pay me.

Of course this is just one man's opinion.

I don’t even know why people are upset . The individuals who have been called haters and bammers called this. Gus has always been this way and absolutely fine with just getting by. When it was pointed out that he is getting paid to just get by , people always responded with “we can’t get anyone better.” 

so here we are. Let’s just accepted . Too late to be upset now. As he said , this is solid. 

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don’t even know why people are upset . The individuals who have been called haters and bammers called this. Gus has always been this way and absolutely fine with just getting by. When it was pointed out that he is getting paid to just get by , people always responded with “we can’t get anyone better.” 

so here we are. Let’s just accepted . Too late to be upset now. As he said , this is solid. 

People being mad is progress. The ones who have wanted us Gus for a lot longer are on the apathetic stage of grief like I am. But it seems like ALL of the Gus bus has finally emptied out give or take a couple of stragglers. These newbies on the Fire Gus train are ANGRY. I WILL TAKE IT!!!! LET IT ALL OUT! We are here for you! lol

He doesn't want to be great

And why would he? He gets paid $7M/year to just do what he does. He doesn't give a **** anymore

9 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Maybe he's trying to get fired at this point. Makes me sick. 

Screenshot_20201205-153937_Chrome.jpg

Playing an all conference schedule shows what you should be made of. He showed what he's made of. It's also very presumptuous to say we'll be 6-4 before traveling for another conference game. Miss St would be ready to go. 

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

No doubt. Ole Miss and UGA came down to final drives if memory serves. They absolutely will put up points, and I don't trust our offense to match. Hopefully it's the nail in the coffin. 

9 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

All we heard with the hiring of Chad Morris as the OC, he likes to use his TE's....well he needs to find out what Jimbo does, because he uses his TE and not just a drop off to them....

had a fade to Brandon Frazier in the red zone and it got thrown 6 feet over the guy's head lol 

39 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

had a fade to Brandon Frazier in the red zone and it got thrown 6 feet over the guy's head lol 

Chad should of NEVER left Clemson. He should of squatted like Kirby Smart did for several years as Bama's DC until a dynamite Head Coaching job came his way. He was a freaking rock star at Clemson. I remember when everyone was saying How HE was the reason for Dabo's success and Dabo would be nothing without him hahaha how stupid was that looking back? He jumped at the very first decent sized school that came his way. But even worse he dang sure should of stayed at SMU over Arky. Good grief Burt turned that place in to a dumpster fire.

Gus has no accountability in contractor tot his boss. He is like teflon it rolls off. He says his one liners and recruiting last two years awful. Smacks his gum and says we has a great practice this week. Getting old and I'm tuning out. Never have dine this before. We have fought and been respectable in the past. Auburn a low tier  SEC team at best. I'm out until we get a a total chang of direction. Been a passionate Auburn man 55 years. If they don't do something they, they loose everything!  This is just my opiinion and take. No offense to anyone else.

I have always looked forward to Fall Saturdays for a lot of years and it's just really off this year. It's not that it's COVID off either, it's just off and Gus is the reason. I haven't been interested in a game since our umpteenth loss to Georgia on the road. He just follows bad with worse. I barely tracked the game yesterday while running errands with my wife. She actually had to ask me how it went because I showed zero emotion after it was over. He has killed the spirit of Auburn football for me. Maybe my wife will be happy with the outcome this Saturday, her team is improving. I'm not sure I will be either way. The band should learn to play The Thrill is Gone. Gus has B.B. King'ed football.

This thread is akin to the one last week by a "fan" calling our university a loser college if we didn't fire the FOOTBALL coach immediately. Calling out Malzahn professionally is a very honest argument; though playing schedules no other coach faces, virtually every season, his work product alternates between occasional stunning success and frequent profound disappointment. BUT as a person, there's none better and to say he has "no shame" because he remains outwardly positive for 18 - 22 yo players, and uses coach speak, is almost sociopathically clueless. 

13 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Dude I just spit my death wish coffee all over my screen. That is hilarious !!!!!!!!!!!!!

nothing has changed for anyone that has been paying attention the past few years.   him coming out and making that statement shouldnt have been the first time people have noticed that he is happy with a mediocre program. 

16 hours ago, TigerOne said:

Not going for it on 4th down with less than a foot set the tone for this game.

Even Gus knew his offense probably wouldn’t make it. Not throwing downfield more than 15 yards the entire game is another lack of desire to win.

Even the play by play guy seemed to think they should go for it lol that was pathetic. Dude could care less about winning.

16 hours ago, CR said:

In fairness to Gus, Auburn has rewarded him for this attitude. Why wouldnt he think this way?

Any competent coach would try to achieve the highest level of success, but you make a great point. If the school/fan base doesn't care about winning at the highest level, then why should he work his fingers to the bone to reach that level? It's completely pathetic, but not really surprising as you mentioned. He is the literally the ant-Saban and that is any rational Auburn fan's greatest nightmare. It's quite humiliating.

15 hours ago, AUght2win said:

In retrospect of the Gus Malzahn era and his hire, Auburn did something that few schools do - they hired an inventor, not a coach. 

They brought in a guy who had a clever invention to offer in his unique offensive system (like other system architects: Leach, Hal Mumme, Paul Johnson, etc.). It wasn't his leadership, his coaching abilities, or his intangibles. It was that he had a state of the art toy.

We didn't realize at the time that there was nothing else to him.

Things may have even worked if Gus had continued to innovate. But the problem is he stopped inventing. His signature invention became public domain, and obsolete. So now we've got a guy who has literally nothing to offer us. 

I am all for innovators and trying new things. It's the risk/reward system. I love when people try approaches because that's really the only way things can change and you can find new avenues for success. 

The bold is the most damning truth about this whole situation. He's an offensive coordinator at this level of competition. He doesn't have the abilities to run an entire program at this level. 

Your second bold, the biggest mistake innovators make is that they stop. It's a classic example of if you stop trying to change and get better you will get hammered out there when it's time to tee it up. And that happened. A lot. He has nothing to offer like you mentioned. He must go immediately. If Greene doesn't see this and make a move, then he should be removed to for incompetence. 

16 hours ago, Win4AU said:

That’s pretty damning.  If I’m Allen Greene he’s in my office first thing Monday explaining himself.  Of all the things he’s said and done this may be the thing that gets him fired.  That’s not a competitive mentality 

You would think, but then again Greene is in over his head too. No business being an AD at a SEC school. He’s nothing  more than a yes man. 

I don't believe Gus is apathetic.  I truly believe he wants to win and it pains him to continue to field a mediocre team. 

I wonder if he's yet come to the conclusion most of us have (me, years ago) that the game has passed him by and he is incapable of fielding a team much better than what we've got now.

I'm sure he's realized that this Auburn coaching position is the best and only shot he will ever have to win a National Championship. Knowing that, I'm thinking he won't negotiate an early exit, but may negotiate to serve out his full contract for less.  And we'll probably fall for that because the $7M per annum will no longer be such a glaring point of disgust and, frankly, is such a JABA thing to do. 

Archived