New QB Zach Calzada

Tony4AU

I don't know if TJ will get better, or if DD is going to be given a shot, or If Calzada will improve, or if Geriner will come in and ball out and win the job or if we will pick up another QB in the Portal. I am more interested in what O-Linemen of any we are able to get in the Portal.  With a better O-line a lot of issues go away.

Do I want CW and the WR from Oklahoma to come with him of course I do. But to me O-Line is more important.

I actually think with our current O-Line players we will be better then last year assuming Colby Smith  is ready as his size, arm length and mobility make him a legitimate OT and then we can move Zierer to RT.  I think we have some players who can play in the Interior but we won't have is depth if any of those players get hurt. Ideally we get a true SEC quality OT and a true SEC quality IOL at the minimum in the Portal. Then any QB we have will be better as we can run block and keep teams honest. 

37 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Very true. Either people aren't listening or not believing

It's fascinating, how differently we all process information, if we process it at all.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

Or they know a little bit more information about how things are playing out behind the scenes than the average fan does.

That’s possible! outside of recruiting NFL players along with its coaches, not really sure what’s changing the course for the offense next season, jmo. 

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's fascinating, how differently we all process information, if we process it at all.

I'm confused how people can pick and choose their hope. Last year a brand new coach with a returning o line that hadn't been great, a QB that hasn't been great, a wr group of guys with no experience, a d line ofnew guys with no experience and the expectations 10 wins........

Now here we are and it's I need to see a bunch to even be positive to have HOPE.  Makes no sense to me

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I hope his best laid plans are executed perfectly, but Auburn has really zero margin of error on offense with the lack of existing talent. Couple guys don’t come and you really didn’t move the needle. I don’t really get hype for behind the scene things with the current environment of CFB anyway. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm confused how people can pick and choose their hope. Last year a brand new coach with a returning o line that hadn't been great, a QB that hasn't been great, a wr group of guys with no experience, a d line ofnew guys with no experience and the expectations 10 wins........

Now here we are and it's I need to see a bunch to even be positive to have HOPE.  Makes no sense to me

Folks have an easier time breaking up with their significant others than their preconceived notions, it seems. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Bottom line everybody had all this hope for Bo. If you could muster up hope to be good when he was returning you d can muster up hope for anybody else. Period.

I see this view moreso with TJ. The amount of outrage and determination that TJ should never start for Auburn based of 2 starts is a bit ridiculous considering all yhe passes Bo got.

At least for me wrt Calzada vs Bo, my biggest *hope* for Bo was he'd finally get good coaching and be able to truly develop and elevate himself over previous lows.  Calzada has spent 3 years in the same system and with an elite QB developer and was bad as a 3rd year QB.

Maybe a new voice/offense can still help. But I'm not really optimistic. Right now I'd say it's 50/50 between Calzada and TJ for our QB next year

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, slyinsocal said:

In fairness to TJ, and considering the circumstances, he deserves a pat on the back. No spring ball. Being thrust into action. He didn't throw pick sixes left and right. He played hurt. Even with Bo out, we were that close. A drop here. A slightly mistimed throw there. A mere handful of plays and the record certainly looks better.

I think TJ's story isn't written yet. Lots of ppl want to write him off. He's still got a lot of growing and development. No reason he can't he can't make a big jump with an offseason at Auburn. 

From all accounts he's a strong worker and he's also a year younger

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I'm optimistic that we will see a significant difference over last year's OL

I assume this optimism will come from new bodies on the OL via the portal?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Exactly that drives me crazy . Wide the freaking open guys being missed 

Yeah, lots of ppl hated these 2nd/3rd and 2 calls after Tank's 8 years rush.

But they'd love them if we had a QB that could hit two wide open WRs for 25 yard gains.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, woodford said:

Auburn would have better chances to win with a better QB albeit with the same lousy OL. However, I don’t see a scenario where Auburn gets better because of this guy and a bad line. If he had Ole Miss or UGA’s line? Sure maybe. That’s not happening though. 

When did ZC ever wow you this year? Starting experience doesn’t mean much if you’re not that good (see TJ Finley)

I’m bearish on ZC. Hopefully I am convinced otherwise soon. 

Well, I believe you are absolutely wrong in terms of us not getting better by getting ZC. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

There are a lot of things happening behind the scenes.

Yeah….but can we compete with all this NIL stuff?

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, fredst said:

Yeah….but can we compete with all this NIL stuff?

We can. But we have to understand that we are  building our NIL network. Our two biggest rivals have had the network in place for decades. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Well, I believe you are absolutely wrong in terms of us not getting better by getting ZC. 

Why do you hate TJ Finely?

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

We can. But we have to understand that we are  building our NIL network. Our two biggest rivals have had the network in place for decades. 

True their illicit NIL just became legal where we are staring from scratch. That said A&M has never had a reputation similar to bama and UGA but they got the NIL going very fast.

15 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Why do you hate TJ Finely?

Why do you say disingenuous BS? 

Do you disagree we got better as a QB room and football team with this pickup and why or why not?

Edited by Tigerpro2a

1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Why do you say disingenuous BS? 

Trying to apply the right standard here

7 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

True their illicit NIL just became legal where we are staring from scratch. That said A&M has never had a reputation similar to bama and UGA but they got the NIL going very fast.

TAMU started playing the game at least as early as when they joined the SEC. They made a clear- and big- commitment to winning at some point in the late aughts-early 2010s. Sumlin, Manziel, SEC, the stadium, mostly top-10 recruiting classes since, now Fisher... they didn't do all that and not do the rest. And again, with those coaches? Nuh uh. They've been in the mud with the rest of us for a minute now.

Now, NIL might've tapped a larger pool of resources for them. That seems to be the case everywhere, but maybe they're just now really flexing since it's legal. I'd buy that. 

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Trying to apply the right standard here

Who BS standard is that? Sure as hell ain't mine. 

Anywho....do you disagree we got better as a QB room and football team with this pickup? Why or why not?

3 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Who BS standard is that? Sure as hell ain't mine. 

Anywho....do you disagree we got better as a QB room and football team with this pickup? Why or why not?

Better QB Room?  Yes.  More bodies will lead to a better chance of one breaking out.

Better QB? Eh, not really sure yet.  I don't think we acquired a locked in starter/QB1 for 2022

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I think TJ's story isn't written yet. Lots of ppl want to write him off. He's still got a lot of growing and development. No reason he can't he can't make a big jump with an offseason at Auburn. 

From all accounts he's a strong worker and he's also a year younger

Anything can happen.  I agree that his story isn't written yet, but the first few chapters are in and we are down to now or never.

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Better QB Room?  Yes.  More bodies will lead to a better chance of one breaking out.

Better QB? Eh, not really sure yet.  I don't think we acquired a locked in starter/QB1 for 2022

The question was did we get better as a QB room and as a football team with this pickup? 

So you agree that we got better as a team, but you felt the need to quote me saying as much and write out that stupid response?  Good lord where have we gone?

Realistically ZC ceiling was probably the Bama the game . How many times did he achieve that. TJ wasn’t the greatest in his small sample size . To be fair TJ has less games and time in college than ZC so we haven’t seen his ceiling yet or maybe we have. Just need more data to access. The competition is great though