2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

5 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Thorne is to blame for some of those sacks for sure. Heard a Stat that he has thrown 0 balls away to avoid a sack. Robbie has done it twice with his limited play

No, not fully starting over which is not what I intended to imply. Our line is ok to decent this year. I dont have a lot of faith in the portal working for us in that department as well as it did last year/this year. Hope we do better with the staff having more familiarity with what we have and what we need. Just saying give me a mobile QB, more mobile in the pocket than Thorne and better passer than Robbie while we develope our linemen

Luckily we don't need to take as many OL next year, so we can ve more focused.

What's kinda weird is Thorne is clearly mobile, he just can't pull thr trigger throwing the ball and gets sacked. He's clearly not comfortable in the offense and making quick reads/decisions 

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

What's kinda weird is Thorne is clearly mobile, he just can't pull thr trigger throwing the ball and gets sacked. He's clearly not comfortable in the offense and making quick reads/decisions 

I have a feeling PT, RA and HG will transfer once we hit up a portal QB. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

To be fair, PT has only been in the offense for 4 months. That inexperience can be a factor in being indecisive

16 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

To be fair, PT has only been in the offense for 4 months. That inexperience can be a factor in being indecisive

True but the idea was a veteran player would be able to process this stuff much more easier and quicker , unfortunately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

True but the idea was a veteran player would be able to process this stuff much more easier and quicker , unfortunately.

Sometimes it clicks, sometimes it takes awhile or it never does. I'm like you, I would just like to see an average passing game, not great just mediocre 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I have a feeling PT, RA and HG will transfer once we hit up a portal QB. 

Thorne can't leave unless he graduates...which probably seems unlikely.  Same with Robby but he should be close to graduating if he hasn't already.  I think Robby is gone no matter what.  he's going to go somewhere that will let him start. 

HG is wild card.  Depends how much he likes the coaches/offense.  If he stays, he should 100% be the back up behind PT and be the easy leader to start in 25 as a RSJR.  He wasn't a super high recruit.   He's not going to get a starting job handed to him anywhere in '24 at P5 school.  His best bet would be to transfer to a G5 school.  Does he want to play at a bad G5 school or back up for a year then start in '25 when we should be pretty good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I don't disagree.  He should be better than he is and I think it's mostly comfort and knowing the offense.

I got crushed when I said this about Gus, but the same applies to Hugh.  He is not a quarterback developer, hell, I think Hugh has said as much himself.  What Hugh has always excelled at in my opinion is game planning, play calling and developing his offenses around his quarterbacks strengths and skill set.  So I am not expecting to see great development, happy as can be if it happens, but I do expect to see an offense that the QB will be able to succeed in and get better in as he learns the system and increases his read and reaction time to what defenses are doing within the system.  

38 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I got crushed when I said this about Gus, but the same applies to Hugh.  He is not a quarterback developer, hell, I think Hugh has said as much himself.  What Hugh has always excelled at in my opinion is game planning, play calling and developing his offenses around his quarterbacks strengths and skill set.  So I am not expecting to see great development, happy as can be if it happens, but I do expect to see an offense that the QB will be able to succeed in and get better in as he learns the system and increases his read and reaction time to what defenses are doing within the system.  

I’ve heard that Philip Montgomery and Kent Austin are both very good QB developers!   RG3 gives a ton of credit to CPM for developing him.   I also remember being impressed when Baylor got down to their 4th QB who was a converted WR and the dude was playing well.  I was impressed with that O coaching! (while we seemed to never have a plan B at the time)
HCHF says that KA is the best QB developer in the game.  I don’t know enough about him to say either way.  

So, I think it’s reasonable to expect some development from the QB position, and TBH I think we have to some degree.  

However, WR is a problem right now too.  OL seems to be getting better, but we’re not where we want to be by any means.  Point being, the surrounding cast can make a QB look a lot worse than he is.  (the opposite is also true, which is why I cannot wait for our 24 and 25 classes to get here!!!!!!!)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Yes. And you asked why and I explained it. 

I never said they can't develop, I gave my reason bc a fraction of lowly rated 3* guys ever develop. If he does, great. I'm just not going to put much hope in a guy that has a less than 1% chance to turn into Pat Mahomes

Ok so that's where we are off. So I took it a little more as an indictment against the players because you said "they are not developable".  I took that differently than stating that the odds of developing said player are low. So ultimately we agree then because as I mentioned multiple times ITT that I don't expect that to happen either...I was just making that case that just because of his rating doesn't mean that he can't.  

My hope is that WW directly follows PT after the 24 season and then we have a nest of 4 and 5 star QBs moving fwd. War Damn, bud. 

15 hours ago, W.E.D said:

om ... .... .

Edited by AURex

So I've seen mention of Jaylin Simpson's draft stock rising. Could he go high enough to where it actually helps our recruiting?

Edited by AUwent

• ellitor changed the title to Way Too Early 2024 Transfer Portal Thread
  • AU80cruiser changed the title to The NOT Way Too Early 2024 Transfer Portal Thread

We need better O-line and more D-line plus LB. I think we may start some freshmen WR'S next year. Need a QB maybe Geriner or a transfer. 

Edited by AuburnNTexas

• ellitor changed the title to Way Too Early 2024 Transfer Portal Thread
On 10/15/2023 at 9:13 AM, AU80cruiser said:

This thread wasn't too early. Why not identify potential players during the season as we see the deficiencies in real time? We need a much better transfer QB.

@AU80cruiser It is too early as in we have no clue who will enter the portal yet. No need to speculate on players before they enter the portal.

And barring dramatic improvement from Thorne or Ashford the rest of this season we will be transfer QB shopping again. We need to be much more active in the first window in QB shopping this year than we were last season. I was wronglast season obviously.

No one could've known Thorne wouldn't be able to pick up this relatively simplistic offense in 4 months or be able to read a defense and react accordingly.  The guy's a veteran player in his 3rd year. 

we need O-linemen, receivers, quarterbacks, in that order. we've got ample evidence now that quarterbacks weren't solely at fault with the awful offensive performance, pun intended.

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, JerryAU said:

No one could've known Thorne wouldn't be able to pick up this relatively simplistic offense in 4 months or be able to read a defense and react accordingly.  The guy's a veteran player in his 3rd year. 

Yeah but we are seeing there's a massive difference between processing timing needed for SEC D's opposed to BIG Ds.

If Holden Geriner can't start with the abysmal QB play we've seen the past few years, then I have no hope things will change. Mr Potato head hand chose Geriner and wouldn't start him with that mess at QB. I want him to succeed but we've heard mention by two coaching staffs that Geriner throws a good ball but can't pick up the offense. Not picking up two different offences. So if he isn't going to play and moves on, I will not be personally upset. Best wishes to him.

If three coaching staffs(2 AU, 1 Oregon) cannot trust Ashford to pass the ball consistently, then the same thing applies. If he leaves, I will not be personally upset. Best wishes to him.

Thorne has the built in excuse of coming in late. However, he is an upper classman and shouldn't have issues processing the reads or picking up the offense quickly. He isn't getting the job done and needs to go. I will not be upset when he does. Best wishes to him.

The WR room needs an overhaul. Almost all of them need to go. 

In regards to who can Auburn get for a QB transfer, Grayson McCall might be back in the market after the season. He is one that I will look out for. I believe Hank Brown may be the only QB that will for sure be at Auburn in 2024. I don't think that is a bad thing. 

Edited by Chaotic_zx
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Chaotic_zx said:

If Holden Geriner can't start with the abysmal QB play we've seen the past few years, then I have no hope things will change. Mr Potato head hand chose Geriner and wouldn't start him with that mess at QB. I want him to succeed but we've heard mention by two coaching staffs that Geriner throws a good ball but can't pick up the offense. Not picking up two different offences. So if he isn't going to play and moves on, I will not be personally upset. Best wishes to him.

If three coaching staffs(2 AU, 1 Oregon) cannot trust Ashford to pass the ball consistently, then the same thing applies. If he leaves, I will not be personally upset. Best wishes to him.

Thorne has the built in excuse of coming in late. However, he is an upper classman and shouldn't have issues processing the reads or picking up the offense quickly. He isn't getting the job done and needs to go. I will not be upset when he does. Best wishes to him.

The WR room needs an overhaul. Almost all of them need to go. 

In regards to who can Auburn get for a QB transfer, Grayson McCall might be back in the market after the season. He is one that I will look out for. I believe Hank Brown may be the only QB that will for sure be at Auburn in 2024. I don't think that is a bad thing. 

We should definitely call Grayson. I don’t give a damn how these QBs feel. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, DAG said:

We should definitely call Grayson. I don’t give a damn how these QBs feel. 

I hope we do better than Grayson. He's 61st in the nation in QB rating this year with a mediocre 8 TD to 6 INT TD/INT ratio.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I hope we do better than Grayson. He's 61st in the nation in QB rating this year with a mediocre 8 TD to 6 INT TD/INT ratio.

I doubt that there will be Sure fire QB to hit the portal.  We were all up in arms when Leary chose KY and not us. He ain't setting the woods on fire at KY this year. We have QB problems for sure. But our problems go way beyond just QB play. I miss the days when schools would recruit QB and develop them. For some reason we can't seem to do that. 

On 10/10/2023 at 4:39 PM, AUwent said:

So I've seen mention of Jaylin Simpson's draft stock rising. Could he go high enough to where it actually helps our recruiting?

I've read he could go in first 2 days. I think that would help a lot.