Payton Thorne

TexasTiger

If he signs and performs at his star rating, we already have the receiver.    There is no reason to believe that he won’t be better than anyone on the current roster.   Auburn doesn’t have a 5 star receiver and to the best of my knowledge has never signed one.   

Edited by aubaseball

12 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Auburn doesn’t have a 5 star receiver and to the best of my knowledge has never signed one.   

I’m pretty sure Ben Obamanu was a 5 Star. 

• Like 7

15 hours ago, DAG said:

Well we got our first WR commit from Georgia State. There you go Thorne.

Will be be another G5 guy who can't separate or will Thorne be unable to find him wide open.  Either way we blame the WRs b/c they don't have grit!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Will be be another G5 guy who can't separate or will Thorne be unable to find him wide open.  Either way we blame the WRs b/c they don't have grit!!!!

Don't look like we gonna sign a portal QB. Guess we just have to hope for the best with PT

12 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Don't look like we gonna sign a portal QB. Guess we just have to hope for the best with PT

Yeah.  Thoughts & Prayers essentially for our QB room

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah.  Thoughts & Prayers essentially for our QB room

I cant accept that reality. Im holding out hope we land somebody. Or that Freeze is sandbagging and Hank Brown is our secret weapon.

PT will be the Heisman front runner next season.

And then I'll ask just how long I was in that coma...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Matt Cohen has an article up about JJ transferring.  In it he says that Thorne had 9 incomplete passes against UGA and that in 6 of the 9 the ball hit the receivers hands.   IIRC JJ had 2 drops in that game.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Matt Cohen has an article up about JJ transferring.  In it he says that Thorne had 9 incomplete passes against UGA and that in 6 of the 9 the ball hit the receivers hands.   IIRC JJ had 2 drops in that game.  

That was a bad place to deliver the ball to our wideouts this season.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Soooo… Nobody wants to talk about the report alleging that Freeze is planning to stick with Thorne as an unchallenged starter?

What does Holden say about that?  

16 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Soooo… Nobody wants to talk about the report alleging that Freeze is planning to stick with Thorne as an unchallenged starter?

Given the situation, I pretty much agree with Freeze. If one of Gerienr, Brown or White can beat Thorne out, fine. If not, Thorne's the man.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

I could be wrong but I feel like we've already been talking about it. That's how the arguments initiated as far as some don't want anybody to even discuss a what if we went after another QB.

That's what I thought at least.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I could be wrong but I feel like we've already been talking about it. That's how the arguments initiated as far as some don't want anybody to even discuss a what if we went after another QB.

Yep been talked about a bunch. BOLD strategy. We will see how it plays out. I actually like what the defense is doing though and if we can get the uga db and linebacker, they can be a major help for us next year.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

To me it’s wild based on no experience behind PT, what we saw in games and pretty much a revamped receiving core. Shouldn’t the thinking be iron sharpens iron. Just my two cents. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Some people think that Freeze sticking with Thorne means they were right that we don’t need a transfer QB. But as you know, the debate was never whether we would get a transfer but whether we should. 

I think Freeze is making a mistake here. I wish we’d strive for the best possible option at QB. But we will see what happens.

• Like 2

I think Thorne is gonna elevate and play remarkably better in year 2, year 2 in system better talent around him, and more consistent play calling…...and after Leonard vouched for ND, who really is left out there that can make a championship level impact? 

• Like 3

Seems odd we're getting some reports that 50% of Thornes passes were "bad" b/c a WR ran the wrong route.

So we're going to expect 4-5 TrFr WRs to come in (many after spring) and learn a heavily read based offense and run the proper routes that all of our 4-5th year players couldn't?

10 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Seems odd we're getting some reports that 50% of Thornes passes were "bad" b/c a WR ran the wrong route.

So we're going to expect 4-5 TrFr WRs to come in (many after spring) and learn a heavily read based offense and run the proper routes that all of our 4-5th year players couldn't?

U typed what I was thinking . It’s going to take a while for them to develop. Maybe two of them play. Not sure how much of a game changer the GSU receiver will be.

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, e808 said:

U typed what I was thinking . It’s going to take a while for them to develop. Maybe two of them play. Not sure how much of a game changer the GSU receiver will be.

It's pretty inline with a lot of elite WRs.  Outside Julio, year 1 is probably like ~300yds then they explode on year two. Nabers, Burton, Stewart, Pickens.....  Trusting TrFr is risky.

GSU kid seems like a solid possession guy who has good YAC.  Crossing patterns, screens, etc.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Proof of concept hasn’t been proven and so I don’t think any top qb transfer is going to consider us sadly 

Hopefully we light it up on the Bowl game and HG get a full quarter and does well.  Might help quells some angst.  Also might help with Ryan Williams.

Our WR room should help attracking some quality QBs next December.  Think we'll be hunting for a 2 year guy and should be loaded thicc with a lot of Soph/Jr talent in 2025 with possibly a solid home schedule (who knows what the SEC does tho)

• Like 1

I don't know everything but I do know this, we should bring somebody in that it could be a thought that they could potentially start to push PT. PT right now isn't playing at a high enough level, now maybe he can get better I won't say that he can't but I know the last thing he needs is just to be comfortable. 

I don't care who it is but it needs to be an outside thought. Also too they have to think if they are going to be running him the way they started we will need a good back up, I'm sure this running thing is new, he may not be proficient at sliding and choosing battles, and while I know how the forum loves them some grit, it would be stupid for him to try that often.

Oh and I know we are broke now and as a school we can't afford getting talent but if a school like Syracuse can get someone I just feel like we could spend a little for a decent back up