Auburn Player Transfer Portal Thread

NWALA Tiger

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

So tightends being underused. Is that a qb thing or a coaching thing.  What are you guys opinions?

Could be the QB. Progressions not being followed through with or taking his eyes off of them. I lean QB but it could be scheme as directed by the staff. 

• Like 1

has anyone heard anything at all on robby? i am curious if he transfers or tries another position?

how long does a girl have to wait around here to get an answer or opinion.............

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

how long does a girl have to wait around here to get an answer or opinion.............

I would generally think guys on their second transfer are going to take a bit more time to figure out their next stop. I think he’s a redshirt junior (RS in 2020, then 21-23 played), so he should only have two years left 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1

Did Robby graduate?  That’s probably the answer as to when and whether he transfers.  Maybe he sees the light and moves positions.  He could be a weapon if used correctly so it may be in Auburn’s favor to keep him around if he’s willing to take the Kodi route.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I would generally think guys on their second transfer are going to take a bit more time to figure out their next stop. I think he’s a redshirt junior (RS in 2020, then 21-23 played), so he should only have two years left 

He has to graduate to transfer so may have to wait till summer.

32 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Did Robby graduate?  That’s probably the answer as to when and whether he transfers.  Maybe he sees the light and moves positions.  He could be a weapon if used correctly so it may be in Auburn’s favor to keep him around if he’s willing to take the Kodi route.

Believe it's been stated he'll graduate this spring

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 11:54 AM, Win4AU said:

This is what I’d like to see. But is Robbie open to it? He may be dead set on playing QB. I don’t think that’s the best move for him, but I can’t fault him for wanting to play the position he’s grown up playing.

Edited by ScotsAU

2 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

This is what I’d like to see. But is Robbie open to it? He may be dead set on playing QB. I don’t think that’s the best move for him, but I can’t fault him for wanting to play the position he’s grown up playing.

I read a prediction article that thinks we lose RA and HG, but are hoping to sign Cam Ward. Who knows, we have been on quite a bad streak of getting capable QBs or ones that fit a certain system. I know one thing, if we keep all of the WRs we currently have committed and nobody capable can throw them the ball, they will definitely  walk. RA should transfer to a smaller school. Not sure he would play any more next year at a new position than he did this year. 

Kinda surprised the amount of guys who haven't entered the portal.   Some more OL, WR, LBs, DBs seemed obvious 

7 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

I read a prediction article that thinks we lose RA and HG, but are hoping to sign Cam Ward. Who knows, we have been on quite a bad streak of getting capable QBs or ones that fit a certain system. I know one thing, if we keep all of the WRs we currently have committed and nobody capable can throw them the ball, they will definitely  walk. RA should transfer to a smaller school. Not sure he would play any more next year at a new position than he did this year. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if he transferred. But he could absolutely be a weapon. His raw speed and agility, mixed with the fact that he does have an arm. Throw him 5 screens a game, and they’ll likely go for good yards. Set up for a fake screen, one read pass. Or put him in a modified wildcat type formation. He can be useful if the coaches can use him correctly. We used him very poorly this year. That starts with admitting that he’s not a true QB, but an athlete with some throwing ability. 

As much as I hate Harsin, there was one play in the previous season where we had him lined up at running back next to finely, and ran a fake speed option pass to him. It actually worked brilliantly. Less of him at QB. More of him doing that stuff.

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 1

What agility or running vision does RA really have? He constantly misses running lanes/holes and runs into the back of defenders constantly. He's fast, but that's about it.  I'm not sure he has the agility/quick cut ability to be a WR

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, W.E.D said:

What agility or running vision does RA really have? He constantly misses running lanes/holes and runs into the back of defenders constantly. He's fast, but that's about it.  I'm not sure he has the agility/quick cut ability to be a WR

It's cognitive dissonance to see every semi-athletic guy who plays QB (especially here) get asked to move to WR or TE. Why ask someone to waste their time being a 3rd string WR instead of being a 2nd string QB. There's no other practice or job or profession where you'd expect someone to do a worse role that they're not good at or equipped to do, even when it wouldn't functionally help the company in any noticeable way

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Robby has really good speed for a quarterback

He did not look so fast running a speed sweep given the opportunity during the Iron Bowl. People think you can just switch a guy to another position, when it just doesn't work like that

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Robby has really good speed for a quarterback

He did not look so fast running a speed sweep given the opportunity during the Iron Bowl. People think you can just switch a guy to another position, when it just doesn't work like that

I thought ashford was pretty horrible tbh as a runner this season. Thorne though not as fast and quick as ashford did a better job of seeing the field and knowing where and when to run.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

I thought ashford was pretty horrible tbh as a runner this season. Thorne though not as fast and quick as ashford did a better job of seeing the field and knowing where and when to run.

Robby was making wrong reads all year in the running game man. Super frustrating from the "running" QB 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Robby was making wrong reads all year in the running game man. Super frustrating from the "running" QB 

I think part of it came with trying to make the big play vs just trying to get yards. On the sweep you mentioned, I believe he ended up taking it like 1-2 yards wider than he needed to when he could’ve just cut up the field pretty short on it. 

I feel like some of it has to be attributed to the ongoing QB “competition”. He did the same thing on a couple of what little passing attempts he had 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think part of it came with trying to make the big play vs just trying to get yards. On the sweep you mentioned, I believe he ended up taking it like 1-2 yards wider than he needed to when he could’ve just cut up the field pretty short on it. 

I feel like some of it has to be attributed to the ongoing QB “competition”. He did the same thing on a couple of what little passing attempts he had 

I think that’s the one where Hunter was blocking his man out, and Robby continued to run wide. 
The speed sweep is not for everyone. The most successful have to know when to stick their foot in the ground and get upfield quickly. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Well the upcoming season will be interesting because defenses will plan for Thorne running. Will get to see how effective he will be then.  I still recall that 4 and 1 in the Tamu game in which it looked like he should have easily got. The db closed on him so fast that he helicoptered himself to get 1 yard. PT misses the reads pretty frequent on the RPO’s. It just sucked when RA got in the game because it was a telegraphed run. Very little chance of him throwing  . On the sweeps he did try to always hit the edge instead of what was given. That’s why I love the way Alston runs. He plants and get up field.

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Thorne is a more effective runner.  Robby is a better athlete, but has poor vision and doesn't seem to have a ton of agility.  Unless he has a clear massive hole where he can run straight through he's pretty ineffective 

11 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

While that's some insight on to why that may have been case it doesn't really excuse it IMO

9 hours ago, e808 said:

Well the upcoming season will be interesting because defenses will plan for Thorne running. Will get to see how effective he will be then.  I still recall that 4 and 1 in the Tamu game in which it looked like he should have easily got. The db closed on him so fast that he helicoptered himself to get 1 yard. PT misses the reads pretty frequent on the RPO’s. It just sucked when RA got in the game because it was a telegraphed run. Very little chance of him throwing  . On the sweeps he did try to always hit the edge instead of what was given. That’s why I love the way Alston runs. He plants and get up field.

Well, the run heavy offense with Thorne was bred out of necessity pretty much. I don’t think he’ll be doing that much with the caliber of receivers we should have now. Hopefully they do gameplan for the run to open the pass up though. 

I do agree that Robby obv faced more run fronts, but I think it’s pretty fair to admit his vision was worse than Thorne’s this season when both were in designed short yard run situations. It’s not like Payton didn’t have any of those where the defense keyed in on the run. Maybe at his next stop, with a potentially balanced offense, Robby will get to play easier and read what the defense is giving him better. 

• Like 1

I personally can’t wait for Robby to try out a smaller school that runs a more gimmicky, QB run heavy, pass off the QB run offense, and I don’t mean any of that as an insult. He’s a straight line beast that can give you a 60 yard pass like it’s nothing, and has the most energy you’ll see on either field. There are plenty of schools where he will get a ton of love as the guy and make some highlight plays happen. I personally want that more for him than to just be some 4th and 1, gadget play dude who sees the field once every 3 games. 

• Like 2