College Football’s Greatest Injustice

8 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Yours?

Miami leapfrogging Auburn in 1983.

Never understood that one. Feel that if we had scored a touchdown it would have never happened.

Favorite “Justice” 1988 Sugar Bowl

https://www.syracuse.com/sports/2020/06/1988-remembering-the-bittersweet-tie-dye-sugar-bowl-game.html

Pat Dye stuck by his convictions.

“You win some, you lose some. You are going to tie some,” Dye said. “My decision was not to get beat.”

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WarEagle1982 said:

The 2004 Auburn team not being able to play for a national championship.

There were 3 undefeated teams that year— think that was worse than being leapfrogged?

35 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

There were 3 undefeated teams that year— think that was worse than being leapfrogged?

No.  I was simply putting that out there because 83 had already been covered.  After seeing the product that Oklahoma put on the field in the Orange Bowl 2004 was definitely an injustice.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I do.  Especially since AU was clearly better than OU!  They scored more points, but our offense was more efficient.  Our defense was nasty!!!   Theirs sucked!   Our SOS was in a different universe than theirs.  There is no objective way anyone could say OU deserved that shot more than AU.  The only thing they’ve got was the meaningless preseason poll.   The 2004 AU team is one of the best to ever suit up.   Never lost!  And didn’t get to play for the championship 🤦‍♂️😰

Edited by AUpreacherman22
  • Like 8

45 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Losing to Yale . Unfreaking believable 

Actually, not that shocking and certainly not an injustice.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I do.  Especially since AU was clearly better than OU!  They scored more points, but our offense was more efficient.  Our defense was nasty!!!   Theirs sucked!   Our SOS was in a different universe than theirs.  There is no objective way anyone could say OU deserved that shot more than AU.  The only thing they’ve got was the meaningless preseason poll.   The 2004 AU team is one of the best to ever suit up.   Never lost!  And didn’t get to play for the championship 🤦‍♂️😰

I am going to go with this since I wasn’t born (damn speak to text) in 1983. Also the couple of times Alabama did not win their division, yet found a way into the NC game. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am going to go with this since I wasn’t boring in 1983. Also the couple of times Alabama did not win their division, yet found a way into the NC game. 

When did you get boring?😀

7 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

When did you get boring?😀

Haha slightly embarrassing. Too be fair this is what I get for being lazy and not typing. Damn you Apple technology. 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Haha slightly embarrassing. Too be fair this is what I get for being lazy and not typing. Damn you Apple technology. 

Don't I know that feeling! I knew what you meant but I admit I was gonna say something like ...we don't always agree but you aren't ever boring....

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eagle-2 said:

How about the SEC allowing Bear Bryant to schedule an extra SEC game back in the late sixties-early seventies?

In 1972 Auburn, and Alabama both lost only one SEC game, and Auburn beat Alabama on the field, yet the Turds wind up as SEC champions because they finished 7-1 while Auburn finished 6-1. 

Another of their mythical titles. 

Much akin to Saban getting rules changed related to HUNH offenses.  “Is this what we want the game to look like?”  Give me a break!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eagle-2 said:

How about the SEC allowing Bear Bryant to schedule an extra SEC game back in the late sixties-early seventies?

In 1972 Auburn, and Alabama both lost only one SEC game, and Auburn beat Alabama on the field, yet the Turds wind up as SEC champions because they finished 7-1 while Auburn finished 6-1. 

Another of their mythical titles. 

And the extra game was always somebody like Vandy or Kentucky, never Georgia or Florida.  

• Like 2

We beat 6 top 25 teams in 72.   Turds beat 4.   2 of the turds SEC wins were against, you guessed it, Vandy and Kentucky who combined to win 6 games in 72.  We played UGA, UF, Bama, UT, LSU Ole Miss and Miss st.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

We beat 6 top 25 teams in 72.   Turds beat 4.   2 of the turds SEC wins were against, you guessed it, Vandy and Kentucky who combined to win 6 games in 72.  We played UGA, UF, Bama, UT, LSU Ole Miss and Miss st.   

One could certainly argue that Alabama was the better team in 72, and as one who was there that day in Legion Field I would have to agree, but that doesn't matter because we won the game. 

The real travesty in it all was the SEC office allowing Bear to schedule an extra game so they would get the benefit. Auburn has gotten a raw deal from the SEC for decades. One might stop to consider just how many SEC titles Auburn could have possibly won if not having to finish every season with Florida, Georgia, and Alabama as the last three games. 

I remember many years that Auburn had to have a slugfest with GA right before going to Birmingham to play Bama while Bama played a tune-up game with Southern Miss the previous week. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2024 at 10:59 PM, TexasTiger said:

First one that comes to mind is Miami leapfrogging Auburn for the 1983 national championship. Yours?

Second one, Auburn not getting a chance to play for the national championship in 2004.

• Like 4

In reality, all three teams deserved a shot at the natty. Choosing #4 would’ve been just as hard (sums up most years of the BCS, tbh).

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 5:39 AM, GreenTiger said:

Brian Harsin still getting paid by Auburn 

Travesty