Aden Holloway hits the portal (4/20 Committed to UAT)

7 hours ago, Viper said:

Dude scored 24 points against arguably the GOAT college team. Are you insinuating bammer should have scheduled the Nuggets or Celtics to really gauge Sears’ value?

GOAT?  I retract my statement about your credibility.  You’re an idiot.  

14 hours ago, NCAubs said:

GOAT college team?   You lost all credibility with that.  

14 hours ago, NCAubs said:

GOAT?  I retract my statement about your credibility.  You’re an idiot.  

Says the guy without another team in his elaborate retort.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/uconn-ncaa-tournament-record-margin-victory-march-madness/ffbdf24c89ba3008151618db#:~:text=23.3%3A Average margin of victory,of 23.3 points per game.

UConn's historically dominant NCAA Tournament, by the numbers

23.3: Average margin of victory, the most in NCAA Tournament history

UConn was hardly challenged in the 2024 NCAA Tournament. It set a March Madness record, winning by an average of 23.3 points per game.

That passed Rick Pitino's 1996 Kentucky national championship team, who won each tournament game by an average of 21.1 points per contest. Those Wildcats had nine future NBA players, headlined by Tony Delk, Antoine Walker, and Walter McCarty.

140: Total margin of victory, the most in NCAA Tournament history

As you would assume, UConn also had the largest total margin of victory in NCAA Tournament history. The Huskies won six games by a combined 140 points, also passing 1996 Kentucky (+129).

Edited by Viper

• WarTiger changed the title to Holloway to uat

Wooden's 1972 team didn't lose a game and had a 30+ point margin of victory for the entire year. That team had Bill Walton and Jamaal Wilkes.

Edited by keeperoftheplains
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, keeperoftheplains said:

Wooden's 1972 team didn't lose a game and had a 30+ point margin of victory for the entire year. That team had Bill Walton and Jamaal Wilkes.

I don't think that this year's U Conn team could beat Walton & Co., but that's impossible to prove.

• Like 1

Duke team with Lattener, Hill and Hurley was better. 
UNLV team (trying for back to back) was better.   
Florida teams (winning back to back) was better.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, keeperoftheplains said:

Who beat powerhouse basketball program, FSU, for the title by 5 points. 

Meanwhile UConn beat the two-time college bball POTY, 7’4” Edey and the #1 three-point percentage team in the nation by 15 points.

Walton (1972) 21.1 PPG

Edey (2024) 25.2 PPG

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't think that this year's U Conn team could beat Walton & Co., but that's impossible to prove.

The difference in the 1972 athlete compared to today’s athlete is night & day. You know that.

41 minutes ago, Viper said:

The difference in the 1972 athlete compared to today’s athlete is night & day. You know that.

The elite level athletes could always compete in modern times. To think that Walton, Abdul-jabbar, Wilkes and so forth wouldn't excel in today's game isn't clear thinking. During Coach Wooden's remarkable run he had all elite players.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Viper said:

Says the guy without another team in his elaborate retort.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/uconn-ncaa-tournament-record-margin-victory-march-madness/ffbdf24c89ba3008151618db#:~:text=23.3%3A Average margin of victory,of 23.3 points per game.

UConn's historically dominant NCAA Tournament, by the numbers

23.3: Average margin of victory, the most in NCAA Tournament history

UConn was hardly challenged in the 2024 NCAA Tournament. It set a March Madness record, winning by an average of 23.3 points per game.

That passed Rick Pitino's 1996 Kentucky national championship team, who won each tournament game by an average of 21.1 points per contest. Those Wildcats had nine future NBA players, headlined by Tony Delk, Antoine Walker, and Walter McCarty.

140: Total margin of victory, the most in NCAA Tournament history

As you would assume, UConn also had the largest total margin of victory in NCAA Tournament history. The Huskies won six games by a combined 140 points, also passing 1996 Kentucky (+129).

If you think this UConn team was the best of all time, you should be banned. They were good and they ran through their s*** of a bracket and then beat a decent team for the championship but to crown them elite is laughable. 

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Is it?   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Meanwhile UConn beat the two-time college bball POTY, 7’4” Edey and the #1 three-point percentage team in the nation by 15 points.

Walton (1972) 21.1 PPG

Edey (2024) 25.2 PPG

You compare players.  Let’s talk about teams.  Stop defending that wide eyed non predator ****er. 

14 hours ago, Viper said:

Walton (1972) 21.1 PPG

Edey (2024) 25.2 PPG

Sorry, but if you think that Edey is elite and athletic, your eye for talent is lacking.     Walton would run circles around Edey.   

• Like 2

These conversations are fun thought exercises and no opinion can be proven. However, the notion that somehow the human body has evolved to become more athletic in the last 50 years is just availability bias.  The nutrition is better (in general), the equipment is better, and the medical care is much better.  But the athletes themselves?  Not so much.  One of the major reasons that modern basketball players appear to be able to do so many amazing things is because of the way the game is officiated (and by extension, coached).  When you're allowed to put your hand under the ball and move it around your handles look amazing.  A "step back jumper" was a turnover when I played.  I could go on and on.

You don't get the sense of how good some of these teams of the past are by looking at old videos on YouTube.  The greatest college football team I ever witnessed with my own eyes was Nebraska 1995. If you ask someone younger than 40 I can almost guarantee you that will not be the answer they give. You know, because athletes.  So based on the basketball that I've watched since the 1970's, the 2024 UConn team is not in my top 5.  Your mileage may vary.

Edited by keeperoftheplains
  • Like 1

Teams are way better today in almost every sport because of focus, sport specific weight training, elite clubs, the number of athletes training year-round, more international participation, and coaching and the internet's ability to spread the coaching knowledge.  However, the impact on basketball may be less than some other sports, because it has always been easy to train in basketball, even by yourself, and the elite kids have always put in some crazy hours, even 50 years ago. Of the factors mentioned, International participation may be having the biggest impact on roundball.

18 hours ago, Mikey said:

The elite level athletes could always compete in modern times. To think that Walton, Abdul-jabbar, Wilkes and so forth wouldn't excel in today's game isn't clear thinking. During Coach Wooden's remarkable run he had all elite players.

Didn’t say that Walton couldn’t excel in a game against UConn. But his team as a whole wouldn’t get within 15 points of UConn. Edey’s team proved that.

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Didn’t say that Walton couldn’t excel in a game against UConn. But his team as a whole wouldn’t get within 15 points of UConn. Edey’s team proved that.

I firmly believe that any number of Wooden's teams would beat this year's U Conn, so we'll simply disagree.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Viper said:

And UConn had a -19 point margin of victory over Creighton to go along with two additional losses.  That UCLA team was 30-0.  These comparisons of "facts" don't prove anything other than people have different opinions.

On 4/24/2024 at 6:48 PM, NCAubs said:

If you think this UConn team was the best of all time, you should be banned. They were good and they ran through their s*** of a bracket and then beat a decent team for the championship but to crown them elite is laughable. 

Banned for an opinion? Good thing you’re a nobody with zero power.

They beat everyone placed in front of them, by the largest average margin of victory in the history of the tournament. No other team in history can claim it. They do.

On 4/25/2024 at 7:13 AM, aubaseball said:

Sorry, but if you think that Edey is elite and athletic, your eye for talent is lacking.     Walton would run circles around Edey.   

The numbers are the numbers.

On 4/24/2024 at 6:51 PM, NCAubs said:

You compare players.  Let’s talk about teams.  Stop defending that wide eyed non predator ****er. 

Largest average margin of victory in the history of the tournament.

Your serve. 

On 4/25/2024 at 8:15 AM, keeperoftheplains said:

These conversations are fun thought exercises and no opinion can be proven. However, the notion that somehow the human body has evolved to become more athletic in the last 50 years is just availability bias.  The nutrition is better (in general), the equipment is better, and the medical care is much better.  But the athletes themselves?  Not so much.  One of the major reasons that modern basketball players appear to be able to do so many amazing things is because of the way the game is officiated (and by extension, coached).  When you're allowed to put your hand under the ball and move it around your handles look amazing.  A "step back jumper" was a turnover when I played.  I could go on and on.

You don't get the sense of how good some of these teams of the past are by looking at old videos on YouTube.  The greatest college football team I ever witnessed with my own eyes was Nebraska 1995. If you ask someone younger than 40 I can almost guarantee you that will not be the answer they give. You know, because athletes.  So based on the basketball that I've watched since the 1970's, the 2024 UConn team is not in my top 5.  Your mileage may vary.

I grew up watching Jabbar, Magic, Bird, Erving and every player from those points forward. Not youtube. The athlete from those years (the early 80s) played too stiff. 

NBA players today are FAR more athletic than those guys, who by the way, are my idols. 

95 Nebraska indeed was a Top 3 all-time CFB team.

On 4/25/2024 at 1:43 PM, Mikey said:

I firmly believe that any number of Wooden's teams would beat this year's U Conn, so we'll simply disagree.

Obviously, you watched 72 UCLA beat Florida State (who finished 10th in the Final AP poll) by 5 points and are firm they would beat 24 UConn, who beat Purdue (who was consistently ranked in the Top 3 all season) by 15 points with a Center with a higher PPG (25.2) than Walton (21.1). 

72 UCLA averaged giving up 64.3 PPG.

24 UConn averaged giving up 63.4 PPG.

Very similar, but UConn had to guard the 3-point shot. UCLA had the luxury not having to and could focus on guarding the paint.

Purdue came in leading the Nation in 3-point percentage. UConn held them to 1-of-7 (14.3%). Other than Edey, they held the remainder of Purdue to 21 points and 10-of-36 (27.7%).

To me, UConn’s length and intense defense would be the reason they would beat any team in CBB history.