2018 5* QB Justin Fields

ellitor

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Well, we did build a statue for the guy.

:P

Nothing better than a statue. Championships come and go...statues stay forever...unless they are in New Orleans (ha, joke. Not meant to be political).

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Beaker said:

Does anyone know if JF and Justyn Ross talk?  If "no," is JF tight with any top recruits leaning towards Auburn?  FSU?   Wondering if there is a link/clue from that angle....decent question.

Even though AU sources say we lead for Ross at least 2 have said the chances of getting Ross goes up further if we get Fields. Not sure if they talk but there ya go. Not sure about FSU but from AU he is tight with Chandler Wooten & the Wooten family as already stated.

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Does anyone know if JF and Justyn Ross talk?  If "no," is JF tight with any top recruits leaning towards Auburn?  FSU?   Wondering if there is a link/clue from that angle....decent question.

Don't know for certain but I'd take a educated guess and say they do talk. Not sure on the last part either. I'm sure Fields talks to a lot of the top recruits. Not sure that this will have any impact on his decision. Way too many factors go into a decision that each recruit will make in choosing a school. I'd say the relationship's the recruits have with players in the schools,say like a  Wooten, is just as important.  

11 minutes ago, Beaker said:

The guys who already responded above obviously know things and I don't, but one thing I've heard every recruiting cycle is that these blue chip guys see each other at so many camps and all-star events that they tend to have at least a little bit of a relationship. Another factor is that recruiting is a very specific experience for a 5* kid, and they can relate to each other in a way that they can't necessarily relate to their boys back home. And logic would dictate that QBs and WRs, in particular, like to know where the other big dogs are leaning due to the symbiosis of their respective positions. The level to which it factors into any given recruit's decision process is anybody's guess, though. 

Thanks for the replies.  And most recruits have unique criteria.  Fields seems to be quite smart and will make a very informed decision.  I had some insight into the process when my neighbors son was recruited hard last year by every big 12 team and some west coast teams.   I think if a player values relationships and has good family values, I like our chances.   ( then again, I am a homer )

14 hours ago, ellitor said:

Nope. It's from the Rivals 5* Challenge camp a few weeks ago that was before his recent trips to AU, FSU, UGa< & UF. It's at least the 2nd or 3rd time I referenced that interview.

Jameis was no slouch as a runner coming out of high school. He was the #1 rated Dual Threat QB coming out of high school. We recruited him & Gus wanted him bad as you know all to well because of his running ability. Jameis may not have as much speed as Justin but he ran with a lot of power and would have been dangerous in our O so let's not imply he is an immobile QB.

In the end I hope Chip, Cam, & the Wooten family win this one out for us.

I wouldn't put JW in the same class as JF running the football. 

8 hours ago, WFE12 said:

He got an offer from USC.....Like he would go there...

Actually there has been talk the past week that they are in the mix.

If I'm a high profile HS QB, USC would be an attractive offer.  I can't think of another school who has put more QBs in the league in the last decade and a half than the men of Troy. 

I think our best shot here is for him to wait and see how we do this season and for us to prove we will sling it more. We are obviously in his top 2 but if he indeed commits this summer then I think it will probably be FSU by a small margin. If he waits, Chip can show him what we can do. Then it is up to us to prove ourselves. 

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

Actually there has been talk the past week that they are in the mix.

Well they have never had a QB like him and don't have the system for him plus talking about appeasing to his mom, that's waaay too far from home. I ain't worried.

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I think our best shot here is for him to wait and see how we do this season and for us to prove we will sling it more. We are obviously in his top 2 but if he indeed commits this summer then I think it will probably be FSU by a small margin. If he waits, Chip can show him what we can do. Then it is up to us to prove ourselves. 

I ain't so sure about this. Call it a "hunch". 

57 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Well they have never had a QB like him and don't have the system for him

Make no mistake about it. Just because Justin can run it does not mean he can't excell in a pro style O. He dang sure can. He's not pigeon holed to a running QB offense by any means.

55 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I ain't so sure about this. Call it a "hunch". 

I agree. I read his trip to FSU did not go so great. Not sure how great the info was but....

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

Well they have never had a QB like him and don't have the system for him plus talking about appeasing to his mom, that's waaay too far from home. I ain't worried.

USC has a ton to sell any recruit: recent Nattys, multiple Heisman winners, powerful degree with an extensive alumni network. Oh and the weather is decent too. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Make no mistake about it. Just because Justin can run it does not mean he can't excell in a pro style O. He dang sure can. He's not pigeon holed to a running QB offense by any means.

I'm not underestimating his ability to play in that offense, just questioning him actually wanting to play for an offense like that. I guess it shouldn't really matter to him though since their offenses have been relatively good these past years.

47 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

USC has a ton to sell any recruit: recent Nattys, multiple Heisman winners, powerful degree with an extensive alumni network. Oh and the weather is decent too. 

Yeah but Mama Ain't going for all that if it's way across country.

34 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Yeah but Mama Ain't going for all that if it's way across country.

You may be right and I know nothing about his family. But I remember the same thing being said about Ryan Johnson last year right before he went to Stanford. It was almost unheard of a few years ago but kids are increasingly willing to  entertain those options. 

22 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

You may be right and I know nothing about his family. But I remember the same thing being said about Ryan Johnson last year right before he went to Stanford. It was almost unheard of a few years ago but kids are increasingly willing to  entertain those options. 

Distance was never a factor for Johnson. Will be for Fields. Fields wants his family to be able to watch him play and visit without having to drive to far. USC isn't in this. 

..when I first read "USC" yesterday, I thought it was S Carolina and laughed.  Now I am laughing at myself.  I am biased, but you couldn't pay me to go to So Cal.  Those are different people.  That is a dif culture.  Might as well stay in Cali if you get a degree from there.

6 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Don't forget the sweaters

imagejpeg

I still believe with Fields that this season and how it plays out could be the telling factor on who gets him.  If Auburn flounders, then there will be a lot of noise about Gus's future and the teams stability.  If Auburn does well then Gus's job will be stable and everything will look rosy for our program.  Also will FSU flounder, or will they beat bama in the opener ?  That will go a long ways i think in Field's decision.  Another dominating year for satan and the toothless ones and they again can pick and choose as they please--- (vomit)

When I was 18 all you had to do was show me the women around LA and I would've committed lolol

Archived