Deputy Fields did nothing wrong, imo.

AURaptor

It's school, it's a given some people will have to be disciplined in different ways, I haven't seen one person say he just walked in the classroom and attacked the girl without reason....If the if such and such wasn't done this would have never happened excuse was legit then policemen would have a free reign to do whatever they want. Also this is nothing to do with him being a policeman, there would be the same outrage if he was a teacher.

this just seems so unprecedented to me. I have never heard of a teenage kid refusing to get up out of a desk. Any discipline or positive counseling given to a student can't even start until you get them outside the room or in the principal's office. I'm glad she's not physically injured and she will remain in my thoughts for her life situation, which is no fault of hers.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's school, it's a given some people will have to be disciplined in different ways, I haven't seen one person say he just walked in the classroom and attacked the girl without reason....If the if such and such wasn't done this would have never happened excuse was legit then policemen would have a free reign to do whatever they want. Also this is nothing to do with him being a policeman, there would be the same outrage if he was a teacher.

this just seems so unprecedented to me. I have never heard of a teenage kid refusing to get up out of a desk. Any discipline or positive counseling given to a student can't even start until you get them outside the room or in the principal's office. I'm glad she's not physically injured and she will remain in my thoughts for her life situation, which is no fault of hers.

Actually, she was. She has a fractured arm and it had to be put in a cast.

Yeah training would fix it if it mattered to you. Obviously it is okay in your opinion. I am traveling right now and I promise at least one of our dogs was on the bed with my wife until she turned the light out. The pups don't even think about jumping up when I am there to take my side of the bed. My comment was intended to state that this whole situation that we are beating to death started with a young lady that has problems at home and with authority. The officer made the matter worse.

You must get cold on a three dog night.

She was injured. And if you grew up in Tanner what are they 1A? An insubordinate student isn't like Haley's comet or anything

It's pretty sad that we have so many who are willing to "shoot" first instead of trying to find out the root cause of an issue. I've done it myself so no need to call me out on it but I try my best not too.

The officer used poor judgement and paid for it (his job). The Sheriff did the right thing.

I expect encounters with disturbed people is fairly common for a LEO. Maybe the problem is not enough training? How much education in psychology did you receive as part of your training EMT?

I don't even have to bring up the fact that he is a cop to call his act wrong. That it was a grown man that did this to the girl was heinous enough. That's why I don't know how people can back up this cop.

She was injured. And if you grew up in Tanner what are they 1A? An insubordinate student isn't like Haley's comet or anything

2a since 1990.this takes Insubordination to a new level. Our principal was 6'8" and looked like Fred Flintstone but studered and spit when you agitated him. He didn't hesitate to snatch you up. I saw him drag a kid to the office by the ear and at that moment knew i didn't want to be that kid. He was sued accused of racism but was just as stern and probably complained on more by white parents. You complied or you risked possible injury and guaranteed humiliation. He was the only educator i have ever seen openly and regularly tell students he loved them. When he drug you into his office and sat down and talked to you he was as soft as a teddy bear, would actually cry. Besides maybe bruised ass from a paddle he didn't injure anyone. He would have been offended if you offered him an SRO.

A broken arm really kinda changes the overall take for me. I said from the beginning he was too rough with her, but i do think she had to be removed. I agree with the firing now.

It's pretty sad that we have so many who are willing to "shoot" first instead of trying to find out the root cause of an issue. I've done it myself so no need to call me out on it but I try my best not too.

The officer used poor judgement and paid for it (his job). The Sheriff did the right thing.

I expect encounters with disturbed people is fairly common for a LEO. Maybe the problem is not enough training? How much education in psychology did you receive as part of your training EMT?

As a Paramedic a lot. As a law enforcement officer in 2015 I'm not sure. Training has changed since 1998. When I went through the academy there was some training (because we were expected, by law, to accompany EMS to the ER with a patient who had to be taken into protective custody against their will) when dealing with psychotic individuals but our safety was always front and center. I can recall a few of those instances while working in both roles, and only once did force have to be used to subdue the patient by police. That individual was strung out on LSD and did things that made it very, very difficult to apprehend without using force. He tried to take a weapon away from an officer, ran to a police cruiser, drove it at an officer who fired three rounds into the windshield....striking the patient in the shoulder and arm. The patient was so strung out that he ended up crashing into a tree, came out of the cruiser towards the officer with an ax that he had prior to entering the vehicle and the officer had to put him down. It was like a slow motion film where the patient kept coming while rounds entered center mass. As you can tell I can see it in my mind vividly.

99% of the time we were to do everything we could to subdue someone without force unless we had no other option. But times have changed and society has with it.

As a Paramedic a lot. As a law enforcement officer in 2015 I'm not sure. Training has changed since 1998. When I went through the academy there was some training (because we were expected, by law, to accompany EMS to the ER with a patient who had to be taken into protective custody against their will) when dealing with psychotic individuals but our safety was always front and center. I can recall a few of those instances while working in both roles, and only once did force have to be used to subdue the patient by police. That individual was strung out on LSD and did things that made it very, very difficult to apprehend without using force. He tried to take a weapon away from an officer, ran to a police cruiser, drove it at an officer who fired three rounds into the windshield....striking the patient in the shoulder and arm. The patient was so strung out that he ended up crashing into a tree, came out of the cruiser towards the officer with an ax that he had prior to entering the vehicle and the officer had to put him down. It was like a slow motion film where the patient kept coming while rounds entered center mass. As you can tell I can see it in my mind vividly.

99% of the time we were to do everything we could to subdue someone without force unless we had no other option. But times have changed and society has with it.

Ive dealt with a bath salts dude before and there is no rules of engagement with them. No way possible you can talk them down. Might as well go ahead and apprehend them and skip the steps.

With that said, we are talking about a kid, not somebody out of their mind and under the influence. Times might have changed but the situation is completely different.

A lot of students, black and white support the SRO.http://dailycaller.com/2015/10/30/students-stage-walkout-in-support-of-deputy-fired-over-viral-video/

A lot of students, black and white support the SRO.http://dailycaller.com/2015/10/30/students-stage-walkout-in-support-of-deputy-fired-over-viral-video/

Hundreds of students at Spring Valley High School in Columbia, S.C. staged a brief walkout on Friday in support of the school resource officer and football coach who was fired earlier this week after video emerged of him dragging a female student out of her desk and slamming her onto the ground.

Now, the cynic in me could claim that kids will find anything and everything as an excuse to walk out of class and stage some sort of " protest ". But I am glad to see this. Folks have to learn that, at some point, you're going to have to treat adults and police officers w/ due respect. " Dissin' " them, for no apparent reason, simply because you feel like it ? Sorry, that attitude can't be allowed to stand. If you have an issue, address it . Don't just sit there and act all defiant, for no damn reason.

Which means nothing

Nobody says dissin choose another word

It was intended for its comedic value, but you are correct.

Why were they not arrested? People getting up and walking out of a class is disruptive.

Another student in the classroom that did nothing but protest the treatment of the girl was arrested for disrupting the class.

The girl that video taped it was arrested as well wasn't she....btw the chances of anything happening to the cop had it not been caught on tape???

Nobody says dissin choose another word

Jive turkey?

Nah man. You have to show the video if you say jive turkey. You know what I am talking about...

Ive dealt with a bath salts dude before and there is no rules of engagement with them. No way possible you can talk them down. Might as well go ahead and apprehend them and skip the steps.

With that said, we are talking about a kid, not somebody out of their mind and under the influence. Times might have changed but the situation is completely different.

I was just answering a question (never compared the two situations).......

We keep missing the essential point of all this. The girl started this whole mess and the school should never have had to call in a police officer to handle something they are supposed to take care of themselves. She should have been hauled into the office and had her little a**worn out. If I had tried a stunt like that, I would have gotten it at school and at home.

We keep missing the essential point of all this. The girl started this whole mess and the school should never have had to call in a police officer to handle something they are supposed to take care of themselves. She should have been hauled into the office and had her little a**worn out. If I had tried a stunt like that, I would have gotten it at school and at home.

We're not missing it. We just haven't lost sight of the fact that even when a kid acts up it doesn't mean all bets are off and anything that happens to them after that is on them and anything goes in terms of dealing with them. The adults need to act like adults even if kids act like dumb kids.

Whoa, we got a tough guy here...

Amen bro.

Amen bro.

Did you happen to read where she lost her mother, making her an orphan? Don't orphans - at least - get the benefit of doubt?

Archived