Insiders Hearing Anything? (Threads Merged)

AUght2win

14 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Wed AM: No new news on my end. Some big dogs say the plan is to look at the situation after Miss State. Still not hearing it from the biggest players at AU though. So...for now...I’m still in the crowd that thinks he’s ours for another year.

Also, Big Ten is changing rules on the fly to allow OSU to play in championship game, presumably at 6-0, to cash their ticket to the playoff. This furthers the idea that some have, that this year is so crazy (a team making it to the playoffs with only 6 games played) that 2020 shouldn’t matter at all.

Others within the athletic department are mindful of the b-ball situation in all of this, and are not sure the upheaval over the football head coach would be beneficial to the university (again in these economic times). For example, if further sanctions occur for b-ball, do we want both sports in limbo?

just passing on what I know. Don’t gaslight me. 

The problem is that even if wins and losses don't matter, they do matter to recruiting and recruiting matters a lot. We don't just get a mulligan there.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

Gus offered advice and it was wise as for the NFL Nick was better suited for another position. Nick got better as a QB and as a thrower at Auburn. Nick could train or not train with whoever he wanted to after he left AU. 

No he didn't offer advice he wouldn't let him. And I guess you don't understand when draft workouts occur and you don't understand how much time it takes to improve. We're good you don't have to try to explain anything else on this subject, Ican see you come from a place of not understanding and you're not just going to say well I don't know about this.

Got it

6 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

Again the point is our recruiting overall is significantly worse than any previous year of his tenure. The reason is clear. Our administration has our head coach in limbo. We have many players in the NFL BTW. 

No.  That reason is your assumption.  Learn the difference.

13 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

And he got better as a QB his second year at AU. Gus he is only guy who gave Marshall a shot at being a QB in the SEC. Nick could get training from anyone after he left AU. 

This isn't a plantation we are aware that when he doesn't attend Auburn anymore he doesn't have to listen to Gus......we understated he's not owned once he leaves AU

22 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Also, Big Ten is changing rules on the fly to allow OSU to play in championship game, presumably at 6-0, to cash their ticket to the playoff. This furthers the idea that some have, that this year is so crazy (a team making it to the playoffs with only 6 games played) that 2020 shouldn’t matter at all.

So can we cherry pick six games of ours to punch our ticket..?

I kid, I kid.  But seriously, how is Ohio State allowed to get into their conference championship game with five games under their belt while other conferences like ours are actually making an effort to make up games missed.  If I were the committee, I would force them to play more games.  Five regular season games is a joke while BYU flew across the country to play a team to have another game under their belt.

16 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

If you look at the start ratings only, you're not focusing at the entire roster.  We've recruited the o line like complete **** for three years.

But why highly rated offensive players would come to Auburn right now, I honestly have no idea.  Malzahn's offense has produced exactly three Top 2 round draft picks in his entire tenure (B. Smith, G. Robinson, and K. Johnson).  If I'm a recruit with potential NFL talent and see that, there's no chance I'm coming to Auburn.

Just so you're aware, that number is fewer than Mizzou.

only 1 of which was a Gus Malzahn recruit

5 hours ago, The Freak said:

usatsi_8180079-1.jpg?w=1024

Woah, look at Gus alpha doggin Freeze in that pic.  That's like a unicorn photo.

Amazing what being at a better program that naturally attracts better talent can do. Lets not remotely pretend Gus is the better football coach.

4 hours ago, DAG said:

And recruiting being bad because of limbo is BS. If that was the case why is Michigan, Texas and Tennessee still recruiting at high levels? Heck the AD flat out said they aren't talking to their HC about renewing his contract until AFTER the season and they are in the top ten.

Hey now. Lets not be rational about things. It cant be a 27-31 record against Power Five teams with a winning record... Na it HAS to be that Gus needs another extension. 

17 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Now if we lose to State, then this could tip it to a program sliding downhill for sure with the PTB feeling they have to make the change....

I'm pretty sure we're already tipped. We are seriously undermanned if we want to be a top tier SEC team, and we've lost really every major recruiting  battle this year,  so it's not getting better. Add to that the transfers coming out of AU, and what feels like the weakest team chemistry in years, and I don't see how it can get much worse.

So who would be interim coach for the bowl game if Gus is gone after this week? Steele?

29 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Wed AM: No new news on my end. Some big dogs say the plan is to look at the situation after Miss State. Still not hearing it from the biggest players at AU though. So...for now...I’m still in the crowd that thinks he’s ours for another year.

Others within the athletic department are mindful of the b-ball situation in all of this, and are not sure the upheaval over the football head coach would be beneficial to the university (again in these economic times). For example, if further sanctions occur for b-ball, do we want both sports in limbo?

Nothing against you PTB, your input is always appreciated here.  But it is a sad day when the "Big Dogs" can't be convinced this ship is taking in water and sinking after they watched AU get manhandled in some losses this year.  And they don't see that a less than mediocre recruiting class for 2021 will cause damage for years down the road regardless of who's coaching this team.:dunno:

To couple the basketball situation together with the possible football overhaul shows me that they aren't willing to even considering making the much needed change in the football staff.  What a mess.

8 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

I'm pretty sure we're already tipped. We are seriously undermanned if we want to be a top tier SEC team, and we've lost really every major recruiting  battle this year,  so it's not getting better. Add to that the transfers coming out of AU, and what feels like the weakest team chemistry in years, and I don't see how it can get much worse.

+1000

The PTB see what's going on here and I feel strongly that they couldn't care less if Auburn competes as a top tier SEC team.  

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

So who would be interim coach for the bowl game if Gus is gone after this week? Steele?

Well, Steele's is the highest paid Assistant in the country, getting $2.5MM/yr..... I don't know why he couldn't take the reigns while the Administration gathers a committee to search for a new staff? 

He damn sure hasn't earned his $$ with this year's defense, he can earn it in another capacity IMO.

7 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

We looked similar in 2018 and still had a highly rated class. LSU looks much worse than us and still has a solid class. The primary reason our recruiting is significantly down is because our administration has our head coach in limbo. In 2018 our AD came out with a statement and it helped recruiting. Dead silence this year. 

Dude our head coach is always in Limbo. Do you know how many years Gus has recruited on the hot seat? Limbo has nothing to do with it. Recruits are tired of seeing players regress at Auburn and aren’t going to risk their future. Auburn consistently looks lost and coached by amateurs. I wouldn’t waste a thought on Auburn if I were an athlete, and I love that place

Just now, keesler said:

Well, Steele's is the highest paid Assistant in the country, getting $2.5MM/yr..... I don't know why he couldn't take the reigns while the Administration gathers a committee to search for a new staff? 

He damn sure hasn't earned his $$ with this year's defense, he can earn it in another capacity IMO.

Agreed, it seems like we were ill-prepared for the departure of DB and MD plus Iggy, Thomas, and Dinson (plus Britt being out hurt)

49 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

And he got better as a QB his second year at AU. Gus he is only guy who gave Marshall a shot at being a QB in the SEC. Nick could get training from anyone after he left AU. 

Marshall did improve a little statistically in his second year, except for interceptions, but the improvements are minor statistical improvements, as you would expect from a quarterback in their second year as the starter. You said Gus was the reason for Marshall’s improvements, can you name any ways Gus directly attributed to his improvement? And I’m not asking for speculation. Can you give concrete examples?

47 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Thanks as always for the info. I just can’t fathom what waiting till after Moo St. Is gonna tell them. And I understand the financial aspect of it but if we keep this clown around another year the financial ramifications could be catastrophic and put us in such a hole it may take years and years to get out of. Just wish we had big dogs that understand what is happening to the foundation of our football program and that it is falling apart at an alarming rate (see recruiting). Oh well if Gustav is around again next year it can clear up some time next fall for other activities I can do ha...  

1 hour ago, passthebiscuits said:

Thank you for sharing with us.  

I hope those who are worried about BBall+FB being a problem soon realize that the football program is already in Limbo and will remain there until Gus is sacked.      

13 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

And I understand the financial aspect of it but if we keep this clown around another year the financial ramifications could be catastrophic and put us in such a hole it may take years and years to get out of

Thats what I am trying to make folks understand. Keeping him around will cost a lot more than relieving him of his duties at AU. I was around when Barfield was coach and I saw it happen. Here is the rub, though: Barfield fielded some teams that had some very good offenses, it was defense (P.W. Underwood DC) that was the problem. Gus can't say that defense has been his problem since KS has been here. Inexperience and arrogance are not a good combo and Gus suffered from itearly, but now its just arrogance. Square pegs don't fit in round holes. Someone please tell him that, not that it would do any good at all

lol no one will go to the games next year if Gus is still HC. Next year is crucial for school's to recoup the money they lost this year. If they're worried about the bottom line, shouldn't they be looking to make a move?

Gus Malzahn salary as HC at Auburn:

2013 - $2.3 million

2014 - $3.85 million

2015 - $4.1 million

2016 - $4.7 million

2017 - $4.7 million

2018 - $6.7 million

2019 - $6.8 million

2020 - $6.9 million

2013-2020 - $40 million + $21.45 buyout = $61.45 million

Malzahn will have gotten $61.45 million as HC from Auburn if he gets let go in 2020.

Malzahn's contract runs through Dec. 31, 2024

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2018/02/details_of_gus_malzahns_7-year.html

This is Malzahn's salary each season after 2020

*2021 - $7.0 million

*2022 - $7.1 million

*2023 - $7.2 million

*2024 - $7.3 million

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/first-and-10-gus-malzahn-buyout-auburn-football/

Buyout by year

Dec. 1, 2020 - $21.45 million

Dec. 1, 2021 - $16.2 million

Dec. 1, 2022 - $10.87 million

Dec. 1, 2023 - $5.475 million

This is Malzahn's HC earnings at Auburn if he stays each year plus the buyout:

2013-*2021 - $47 million + $16.2 million = $63.2 million

2013-*2022 - $54.1 million + $10.87 million = $64.97 million

2013-*2023 - $61.3 million + $5.475 million = $66.775 million

2013-*2024 - $68.6 million (no buyout for 2024)

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

What are the chances Oregon is talking extension to Cristobal immediately after 2 ugly losses because they're feeling AU is gonna come calling?

The timing of Cristobal's potential extension definitely is due to fear of him being poached. Maybe not just by us, but I bet our name is one of the main ones Oregon fears rn.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

No he didn't offer advice he wouldn't let him. And I guess you don't understand when draft workouts occur and you don't understand how much time it takes to improve. We're good you don't have to try to explain anything else on this subject, Ican see you come from a place of not understanding and you're not just going to say well I don't know about this.

Got it

Gus was against others coaching his QBs until recently. I know this very well. The QBs who came to AU knew this before they decided to come here. It isn’t very logical to take Gus to task about Marshall at QB given the fact he is the only coach in the SEC who was willing to give Marshall a shot at QB and given the fact he improved as a QB a great deal while at AU. 

50 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Dude our head coach is always in Limbo. Do you know how many years Gus has recruited on the hot seat? Limbo has nothing to do with it. Recruits are tired of seeing players regress at Auburn and aren’t going to risk their future. Auburn consistently looks lost and coached by amateurs. I wouldn’t waste a thought on Auburn if I were an athlete, and I love that place

This is false. The AD come out with a statement the last time there was noise in 2018. Be honest at a minimum. 

Thanks for this. I'm starting to think our big money guys are even more incompetent than Gus. The Miss State game means absolutely nothing. I'd love to hear one of them explain what we'll learn Saturday in a meaningless game that we don't know, right now. Or haven't known for the last 3-4 years, for that matter.

48 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Marshall did improve a little statistically in his second year, except for interceptions, but the improvements are minor statistical improvements, as you would expect from a quarterback in their second year as the starter. You said Gus was the reason for Marshall’s improvements, can you name any ways Gus directly attributed to his improvement? And I’m not asking for speculation. Can you give concrete examples?

The coach is never the sole reason fir improvement and I never said he was. One clear example is Marshall would have never be given the chance to even be a QB in the SEC if not for Gus. Also, White improved his second year at AU as well. 

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Wrong. They are 10th in players in the league. Not everyone playing on Sunday played under Gus.

AU is actually higher than that if you only consider players who have played under Gus and only considered all other schools for the same time frame. So thanks for proving my point even more. 

Archived