Departures and Additions 2021-22 Postseason

Zeek

1 hour ago, Tony4AU said:

Jack Sears entered the portal.  Harsin has some type of connection with him and recruited him to Boise St.  

I've heard that he's looked really good but had a couple of injuries (lower leg? and concussion) that's kept him from playing much. 

17 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

I've heard that he's looked really good but had a couple of injuries (lower leg? and concussion) that's kept him from playing much. 

Didn’t follow Boise much this year so not sure

15 hours ago, homersapien said:

So when do we learn who we are picking up in the portal - Dec. 15?

We'll still be picking up guys into next year. There's going to be another round of attrition and, hopefully, gains after spring ball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Man, with the NIL and the transfer portal I hardly recognize college football anymore.

It's truly become a minor league for the NFL. 

(Not that I agree with maintaining the status quo - which only promoted cheating, corruption and the exploitation of athletes - but I am now starting to question the association it has with colleges and universities.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Man, with the NIL and the transfer portal I hardly recognize college football anymore.

(Not that I agree with maintaining the status quo - which only promoted cheating, corruption and the exploitation of athletes - but I am now starting to question the association it has with colleges and universities.)

Me too.  I'm sure not many agree with me, but I'd actually give up some quality of the game for guys that are at Auburn because they want to be at Auburn, not because they're looking for the next step to the NFL.  Maybe I need a D2 team to root for.

• Like 3

This was always the outcome from NIal and everyone who said it was gonna just make a minor league NFL that eventually was only associated with the school in name was called old fashioned or hated players or something.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Unintended consequences in CFB are always there.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Me too.  I'm sure not many agree with me, but I'd actually give up some quality of the game for guys that are at Auburn because they want to be at Auburn, not because they're looking for the next step to the NFL.  Maybe I need a D2 team to root for.

or High School not named IMG 

• Haha 1

Guest MustardSeed
24 minutes ago, ToomersRevenge said:

This was always the outcome from NIal and everyone who said it was gonna just make a minor league NFL that eventually was only associated with the school in name was called old fashioned or hated players or something.

Yep. I warned everyone I knew that followed college sports that this would end a good part of what they loved. Now it’s official. Give it a few years and it’ll just be the top 20-30 programs and no one else will ever compete…and the top 10 or so that will sink to whatever level they need to sink to win will own the sports. NCAA is already dead. I don’t doubt that in the future guys are no longer required to attend a school to play. Crazy I know 🙄

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

They should have just allowed “cheating” and we’d have none of this nonsense. 

“players are finally getting paid for their services” lol yeah ok players have been getting paid the entire time. Such a mainstream lie forced down our throats. NCAA dug it’s own grave. 

As much as I hate the NFL-ization of CFB, I think G5 will eventually break off and mid majors will have their own league or merge with FCS. 

FCS football is fun to watch and the playoff is great because it doesn’t have all the big time football traditions like bowls and conference championship games. 

I hate corporate college football and the crony ass side of the sport. Opinion, not wins/losses (logic and facts) runs this sport. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

I am now starting to question the association it has with colleges and universities.

Just remember, Bear Bryant was awarding non-revenue sports scholarships in the 60s to guys so that they would sit on his football bench instead of playing for other schools. 

The only thing that's changing is that players have more control over their careers and educations. It's a shame that bothers so many. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Yep. I warned everyone I knew that followed college sports that this would end a good part of what they loved. Now it’s official. Give it a few years and it’ll just be the top 20-30 programs and no one else will ever compete…and the top 10 or so that will sink to whatever level they need to sink to win will own the sports. NCAA is already dead. I don’t doubt that in the future guys are no longer required to attend a school to play. Crazy I know 🙄

Maybe it will turn into something like the British Soccer league system.  A system of promotion and relegation that allows schools to figure how important it is to them.

I've said this before, but we are real close to having to make some enormous decisions about how important it is to YOU.  Are you willing to chip in and help pay these players?  I doubt we, The AU Family, have the cumulative wealth of aTm or Texas.  How would we compete with those guys and do you want to.? Where's your cutoff for how much you are willing to give, if any?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Just remember, Bear Bryant was awarding non-revenue sports scholarships in the 60s to guys so that they would sit on his football bench instead of playing for other schools. 

The only thing that's changing is that players have more control over their careers and educations. It's a shame that bothers so many. 

This isn’t some oppressor/oppressed argument as many “modern” fans want to make it out to be lol if players want to transfer that’s their prerogative. Players have always had a choice. No one forces them to sign to a school. The sitting out rule was weird, but you could transfer before. 

I love CFB. Don’t really care about the NFL besides the Falcons. I don’t really care to see it turn into NFL Jr. I’ve argued since day 1 players should get paid. Not by the school, because of the red tape, Title IX, and unintended consequences (I actually want the sport to exist). If a fan wants to pay a college athlete that should be no ones business but between the two consenting parties. That’s how I’ve always felt and that’s how I believe it should be. 

14 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Maybe it will turn into something like the British Soccer league system.  A system of promotion and relegation that allows schools to figure how important it is to them.

I've said this before, but we are real close to having to make some enormous decisions about how important it is to YOU.  Are you willing to chip in and help pay these players?  I doubt we, The AU Family, have the cumulative wealth of aTm or Texas.  How would we compete with those guys and do you want to.? Where's your cutoff for how much you are willing to give, if any?

I would absolutely donate to a more sophisticated slush fund to pay Auburn players of any sport

2 minutes ago, woodford said:

I would absolutely donate to a more sophisticated slush fund to pay Auburn players of any sport

So, we set that up.  AUFamily slush fund.  All 25,000 of us give $10 per month. That's $3 million a year to buy players.  And that's just our little group.

What if the market needs  $20 per month? You in? $100? $1000? How important is it to you?

That's where I see this going.

• Sad 1

Guest MustardSeed
26 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Am I willing to pay someone I’ve never met to play a game for my entertainment?  Nope I can find other ways to spend my money and time if need be. No one is asked to pay pro players. They just buy merch and go to games.  Regardless, if it keeps heading into a money game I’ll be out sooner than later. Negates most of the draw of college sports vs pro

1 minute ago, MustardSeed said:

Am I willing to pay someone I’ve never met to play a game for my entertainment?  Nope I can find other ways to spend my money and time if need be. No one is asked to pay pro players. They just buy merch and go to games.  Regardless, if it keeps heading into a money game I’ll be out sooner than later. Negates most of the draw of college sports vs pro

I'm with you. 

Maybe eventually AU settles out and goes to an Ivy League system with most of the other schools in the country, and we watch the big boys like they do. Or, someone huge steps up and we play  with them.  

But I see the former happening.

What's funny is that folks threatened to walk away from the sport years ago if we ever got to where we already are. Hell, they probably threatened to walk away if the forward pass was made legal. 

The only thing people have walked away from is the stadiums, because TVs have gotten nicer and attendance has become prohibitively expensive. But you're still watching the games, you're still buying the jerseys, and you're still here talking about all of it. 

17 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

So, we set that up.  AUFamily slush fund.  All 25,000 of us give $10 per month. That's $3 million a year to buy players.  And that's just our little group.

What if the market needs  $20 per month? You in? $100? $1000? How important is it to you?

Wouldn’t go that high. They could eventually finagle money out of the TV deals I reckon and give the players a share. Who knows. ESPN has ruined this sport. 

1 minute ago, woodford said:

Wouldn’t go that high. They could eventually finagle money out of the TV deals I reckon and give the players a share. Who knows. ESPN has ruined this sport. 

At least the NFL has a Cap.

There are no caps here.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Some may scoff at that idea but as someone who doesn't have enough money to singularly make an impact I would be up for a group fund through monthly donations. 

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Some may scoff at that idea but as someone who doesn't have enough money to singularly make an impact I would be up for a group fund through monthly donations. 

I think a lot of us would for a token amount. $10 per month would be a token amount to me.  Some, $1000 per month is a token amount.  I'm betting that some of these schools, like Texas and aTm, got a lot more folks who think $1000 per month is a token amount than AU does.

• Like 3