Earliest Sports Idols- Who you got?

gr82be

NFL

Joe Montana. Easily my favorite of all time and sport. Best QB ever. You are entitled to think otherwise and be wrong.

Jerry Rice. 49ers were my team. Until Joe went to the Chiefs. I still to this day do not like Steve Young.

Takeo Spikes. Favorite LB of all time. Second favorite of any sport.

Junior Seau. RIP

NBA

Micheal Jordan

Larry Bird

MLB

Nolan Ryan. Dang was he ever good.

Ken Griffey Jr

NHL

Wayne Gretsky

Mario Lemieux

Patrick Roy

Wraslin'

Sting. Vibrant sting and not The Crow sting. Favorite wrestler of all time.

Ultimate Warrior.

Hulk Hogan. Second favorite wrestler of all time. 

Sgt. Slaughter. Third favorite wrestler of all time.

Auburn

Takeo Spikes. Yes again. He is my second favorite all time football player. 

Bo Jackson. He is my third favorite of any sport. 

Chris Todd.

giphy.gif

Edited by Chaotic_zx

I can't remember how  I ended up being a huge Baltimore (Orioles & Colts) Fan at such an early age but ...

Brooks Robinson

Frank Robinson

Paul Blair

Jim Palmer

Johnny Unitas

I'm old.

Pro
"Sweetness" Walter Peyton
Mr Forever George Blanda
The terrorizer Dick Butkus
Jim Brown

College
Billy Lothridge
Bo
Pat Sullivan

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 3:35 PM, LPTiger said:

This!!!   Some of us lucky ones got to see it everyday.  He had a funny/evil sense of humor too.   We had a second baseman, I believe from New Jersey -- Eddie Dilks.   We all called him Dilksie -- short guy.  One day we were fielding ground balls and running simulations/situations for the infield/outfield i.e. coach hitting fungo's would call out a situation like "nobody on, nobody out" right before he hit the fungo and everyone would have to move/react as if the hitter just hit the ball in that situation.   Bo and I were in center and he says to me, "watch this, next throw to Dilksie I'm going to one hop him, and it is going to eat him up."  None of the guys looked forward to taking a one hop throw from Bo -- particularly from center to second.   I swear I can still hear him saying it to this day with the stutter he had back then.

You should do a pinned post of Bo stories from back in the day. Auburn has had so many great players and characters….but, Bo…once in two or three lifetimes athlete.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WDEagle said:

I can't remember how  I ended up being a huge Baltimore (Orioles & Colts) Fan at such an early age but ...

Brooks Robinson

Frank Robinson

Paul Blair

Jim Palmer

Johnny Unitas

I was a huge Colt fan before they moved...Johnny U, Lennie Moore, Raymond Barry, Gino, Mike Curtis, Tom Matte even Bill Curry on and on

• Like 1

Jim Thorpe.  I remember reading about him getting presented the gold medal for the decathlon by the King of Sweden at the Stockholm Games where the King tells him "Sir, you are the greatest athlete in the world."  Thorpe's reply was "thanks, king." ... Boss(!)    

• Like 1

image.png

My very first jersey was his.  God bless Sully !

image.png

THE Master of all Masters !  Inspired me to begin playing golf at the age of 10.

This is why Nicklaus was the Master- 

image.png

The three Aussies who taught me sportsmanship and winning co-exist.  Laver, Newcombe, Rosewall.

image.png

The greatest winner in tennis during his reign and the man who taught me to persist and WIN, WIN, WIN !!!  Helped inspire me to be a walk-on at AU until my father told me to walk-off.  Something about grades.  I didn't have any friends at the Athletic Dorm to feed me tests.  :(

image.png

The Master at deception who gave his life to THE Master.

Each player above emulated good sportsmanship above all else, which we need more of today.

Edited by Elephant Tipper
  • Like 2

On 12/11/2023 at 6:44 PM, WVR said:

image.png

Csonka and Captain Crunch made Miami my favorite pro team when I was in high school.  Still the only undefeated NFL team.  What a team.

image.pngimage.png

Edited by Elephant Tipper
  • Like 3

On 12/11/2023 at 5:00 PM, augolf1716 said:

Jimmy Sidle and Tucker Frederickson

Mickey Mantle

Hal Greer 76ers 1965 played with Wilt Chamberlain

Jesse Owens track

Marvin Hagler Boxing 

Rod Laver Tennis

did you play with or know terry henley?

Edited by aubiefifty

18 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

did you play with or know terry henley?

I would bump into him at Sewell Hall from time to time......... remember I played golf not football at Auburn 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 3:25 PM, Mikey said:

The Cardinal's Stan Musial, my all-time baseball favorite. BROOKLYN Dodgers Duke Snyder, Roy Campanella and Pee Wee Reese. Miami Hurricane's FB Don Bossler and WR Jim Dooley. In those days I was a little kid dodging cars on the land and paddling my little skiff around the big boats on the Miami River.

PS: Back then, one year Purdue beat Notre Dame, Miami beat Purdue and the whole town had Hurricane fever. Then Miami went to Birmingham to play some team called Auburn. Auburn gave the ball to a guy named Joe Childress, seemed like 50 times as we huddled over our radios. Auburn and Childress beat the Hurricanes and the bubble was burst. That's all I knew about Auburn until years later.

Dodger fan here. As a child my hero was Tommy Davis. In 1962, he had 230 hits, hit .346 and drove in 153 runs.

• Like 1