Harsin Drama Megathread

TitanTiger

Just now, LaphroaigWDE said:

If there were no buyout, or even if it were just a couple million, the dude is probably already gone.

Yep which is exactly why coaches throw in buy outs and rightfully so because of how finicky people can be lol.

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed
2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep which is exactly why coaches throw in buy outs and rightfully so because of how finicky people can be lol.

And the fact that we have come here MAY indicate there was never cause to fire him outside of job performance, which still warrants full buyout. Of course it’s based off internet info so it’s still on 5% chance any of its accurate 😂

5 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

And the fact that we have come here MAY indicate there was never cause to fire him outside of job performance, which still warrants full buyout. Of course it’s based off internet info so it’s still on 5% chance any of its accurate 😂

And the thing is, people aren't wrong. There are major red flags, but is it enough to warrant him getting fired with full buy out in HAND. To the fan, who is not forking out any money, yes. To the people who have to fork out the money, continue paying two guys, pay a new guy (whom they have to get right), I understand why there is some reservation.

Edit: Again, I am not saying he won't get fired.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MustardSeed said:

Find out what he was doing other than going to the event in Georgia and the Bo Jackson event and try to claim failure to perform duties. Maybe he takes a $15m settlement lol. Assuming there is a whole lot of nothing in the investigation, which is not certain yet. 

7 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

C'mon, now. LSU, bama, UGA, UT, Florida...we consider ourselves peers with these programs. Do you think their fanbases aren't going to get restless when they drop 7 games with 5 in a row to end a season? Add in poor recruiting, a dismissive approach to selling the program, four coordinators in less than a year, coaches and players streaming out the door - all BEFORE any of the social media garbage fired up - and what program's fanbase in the SEC except Vanderbilt do you see NOT wanting to run off the coach?

and many of the UGA fans were calling for Kirby's head for continuing to play Stetson Bennett over JT Daniels.

They won a natty with Bennett so maybe coaches actually know more than fans, no matter the team.

The point of this response is that this whole thread is people speaking in absolutes when nobody know for sure what will happen.  Here are just 2 of the many possibilities that could happen...not will happen.

1) Harsin stays and learn from his mistakes and  in doing so will understand how to play the game to compete with other schools.  Maybe he leaned too heavily on his other coaches to do the heavy lifting with recruiting and will now get more involved.  That seems to make sense to me since he hired really good recruiters initially with Mason and Bobo.  It is obvious that something didn't mesh personality/football related so they left or were fired.

2) Maybe Harsin is stubborn enough to continue the way he has been doing things and will crash and burn and set AU back even further.

6 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I just feel like this will have a massive impact on CBH's ability to do his job, recruiting in particular.

The issue can be that his recruiting wasn't that great even before all of this started.  With our most recent recruiting class, most of those guys were on the defensive side recruited by Mason or his assistants.  Mason and Eason have left already (Eason is no one's fault).  So this leaves us with three great recruiters in Etheridge, Williams, and Reed.  Etheridge, who loves Auburn deeply, is considering joining Muschamp's staff at one of our rivals.  Excluding this mess from the last week or so, I don't see our recruiting getting much better, personally.  We have 1/4 of a roster to fill still, and our only hope is the transfer portal that we have not excelled at.  Our only hope is to wait after spring games to see who enters the portal, although the quality of transfers usually isn't what it is compared to earlier in the year.

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Literally the only silver lining in all of this is that we’d be rid of him and have hope at a new start with someone who can actually run an SEC program. If we went through all of this black eye bulls*** just to keep this schlub, that’s about as JABA as it gets. 

If he stays and wins 9 games next year some of y'all gonna be looking foolish. Calling a coach who's been successful for over 15 years at the major college level a schlub just shows how brave some of you are behind your keyboards. 

This "schlub" either stays one more year and gets a shot to prove what he believes, or leaves this s**t show created by rich bubba boosters, message boards, insecure women jealous about his hot wife, his young assistant, and his daughters' fashion sense, and whatever else church gossip they can come up with. If now, he'll leave with $18M in his pocket. Let us know when you haul in $18M and then we'll know you'll be happy as him!

Rich people don't get and stay rich by spending money out the a**. The thought has been that if the investigation yielded nothing or not enough, and Harsin held firm, they'd just begrudgingly cut the check.

I've hard a hard time getting on board with that. Now Cubelic supposedly saying Harsin very well could stay. I have no clue, but people have not been thinking rationally on this. We think like fans, Gogue, Burgess, and Greene do not

4 minutes ago, WarEagleT said:

If he stays and wins 9 games next year some of y'all gonna be looking foolish. Calling a coach who's been successful for over 15 years at the major college level a schlub just shows how brave some of you are behind your keyboards. 

This "schlub" either stays one more year and gets a shot to prove what he believes, or leaves this s**t show created by rich bubba boosters, message boards, insecure women jealous about his hot wife, his young assistant, and his daughters' fashion sense, and whatever else church gossip they can come up with. If now, he'll leave with $18M in his pocket. Let us know when you haul in $18M and then we'll know you'll be happy as him!

And how are you related to the Harsins?   Just curious.  

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, auburnphan said:

it has been an issue with some, trust me.

Yep the Southern Baptists resent the Mormons because they are more pure and their wives are hotter.

• Dislike 2

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

Gus got 8 years and pretty much said it was okay to be above average. I don't think he would've gotten fired if he would not have opened his big mouth, but I think that was more than enough to turn the page. That is a tad bit of an apples to oranges comparison. 

Fair. I wasn't so much as trying to compare them really. Just stating that when it gets to the point that it could cost us more not to fire him then it makes sense. I don't know if we are there yet, but with all of this negative PR and potential impacts...it's hard to imagine we are that far off.

11 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

The issue can be that his recruiting wasn't that great even before all of this started.  With our most recent recruiting class, most of those guys were on the defensive side recruited by Mason or his assistants.  Mason and Eason have left already (Eason is no one's fault).  So this leaves us with three great recruiters in Etheridge, Williams, and Reed.  Etheridge, who loves Auburn deeply, is considering joining Muschamp's staff at one of our rivals.  Excluding this mess from the last week or so, I don't see our recruiting getting much better, personally.  We have 1/4 of a roster to fill still, and our only hope is the transfer portal that we have not excelled at.  Our only hope is to wait after spring games to see who enters the portal, although the quality of transfers usually isn't what it is compared to earlier in the year.

I don't really disagree with anything here.  Regardless how good or not good his recruiting was, if he is retained all of this is bound to hurt recruiting even more. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, McFU said:

and many of the UGA fans were calling for Kirby's head for continuing to play Stetson Bennett over JT Daniels.

They won a natty with Bennett so maybe coaches actually know more than fans, no matter the team.

The point of this response is that this whole thread is people speaking in absolutes when nobody know for sure what will happen.  Here are just 2 of the many possibilities that could happen...not will happen.

1) Harsin stays and learn from his mistakes and  in doing so will understand how to play the game to compete with other schools.  Maybe he leaned too heavily on his other coaches to do the heavy lifting with recruiting and will now get more involved.  That seems to make sense to me since he hired really good recruiters initially with Mason and Bobo.  It is obvious that something didn't mesh personality/football related so they left or were fired.

2) Maybe Harsin is stubborn enough to continue the way he has been doing things and will crash and burn and set AU back even further.

Kirby turned in a top 5 recruiting class and went 8-5 in year one. 

There's no comparison with him and Harsin. The problem with Harsin is that he doesn't seem to learn, he doubles down. He came down here thinking he was the next Nick Saban, he had his process and he's going to work his process which is resulting in little more than chaos after one year. 

Of the options you listed, there's a third if he stays. He mails it in and waits for the money to get uncomfortable enough to pay the buyout and it takes a decade or more to fix the damage. 

Just now, au302 said:

Rich people don't get and stay rich by spending money out the a**. The thought has been that if the investigation yielded nothing or not enough, and Harsin held firm, they'd just begrudgingly cut the check.

I've hard a hard time getting on board with that. Now Cubelic supposedly saying Harsin very well could stay. I have no clue, but people have not been thinking rationally on this. We think like fans, Gogue, Burgess, and Greene do not

Right or wrong the whole Harsin thing has made Auburn look bad.  If he stays it continues all year next year.  Writing the check makes the whole thing go away faster.  Businesses do this all the time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, au302 said:

Then maybe they should’ve never done this in the first place and waited til after this season…

• Like 1

Just now, AUwent said:

Then maybe they should’ve never done this in the first place and waited til after this season…

Ignoring complaints could toast an entire organization. 

1 hour ago, provibe said:

And you have proof that he did?

I'm sorry, no.  I am not apart of the current ongoing investigation into the allegations by coaches & players

Just now, autigeremt said:

Ignoring complaints could toast an entire organization. 

From my understanding they aren't ignoring a single thing.

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

If they wanted him out football wise, then yes. But if Mason or whoever complained then I get why they had to launch an investigation to avoid issues. Gogue seems pretty by the book

1 hour ago, Auburn02 said:

Do you think Harsin brought back any souvenir gifts for ADAG and Gogue?

I heard he brought back a lot of gifts for people. Some may hurt when used😀

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

And the thing is, people aren't wrong. There are major red flags, but is it enough to warrant him getting fired with full buy out in HAND. To the fan, who is not forking out any money, yes. To the people who have to fork out the money, continue paying two guys, pay a new guy (whom they have to get right), I understand why there is some reservation.

Edit: Again, I am not saying he won't get fired.

I agree with all of this. Yes there are red flags. And normally, I would say no it is not enough to warrant firing him with full buyout. The one thing that changes that scenario is the fact that all of this has went down. The relationship is damaged. Can it be mended? Maybe. IDK. It has divided the fan base. Rumors have caused people's lives to be thrown into havoc. The locker room seems divided as well. 

My question is this. If he is retained....How do we fix all of this?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, au302 said:

If they wanted him out football wise, then yes. But if Mason or whoever complained then I get why they had to launch an investigation to avoid issues. Gogue seems pretty by the book

Fair. As long as the boosters weren’t trying to come up with something to get him fired for cause, I don’t see how things are any different than they were before last Thursday.

Make no mistake though, CBH is still on borrowed time here. Question is is how low does the buyout have to get? It would be $18.55M right now, $14.98M at end of this year, $11.34M at end of 2023, $7.63M after 2024.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Newbomb said:

Right or wrong the whole Harsin thing has made Auburn look bad.  If he stays it continues all year next year.  Writing the check makes the whole thing go away faster.  Businesses do this all the time.

If he stays and wins 9 games it will be hilarious. As much fun as when Tubbs beat Bammer during Jetgate

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WarEagleT said:

It’s all relative. Harsin is a schlub as it relates compared to his SEC coach peers.   I’m a way bigger schlub at coaching college football than Harsin. Again, it’s all relative. If Harsin wins 9 games next year, I’ll personally write him an apology letter with a gift card for Chicken Salad Chick. Good?

Just now, Tigerpro2a said:

I agree with all of this. Yes there are red flags. And normally, I would say no it is not enough to warrant firing him with full buyout. The one thing that changes that scenario is the fact that all of this has went down. The relationship is damaged. Can it be mended? Maybe. IDK. It has divided the fan base. Rumors have caused people's lives to be thrown into havoc. The locker room seems divided as well. 

My question is this. If he is retained....How do we fix all of this?

Winning is the only way. If he does then this will all be forgotten. And I know someone is going to chime in and say "How do you expect him to do that?" I don't know. I don't get paid multimillion dollars to figure out how to run a successful program. How will be entertained either way. 

• Like 2